The CW Plots 'The Originals' Spinoff

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
When this wasn't announced as one of the networks pilots, I thought it was no longer happening, or at least would be held off a year, but I guess not...

Originals Spinoff Update: Matt Davis, Plus 5 Others, Attached to Star
Remember that possible Hope-centric Originals spinoff we first told you about nine months ago? It’s due date may be approaching. Although The CW has yet to order the project to series, TVLine has learned that the network has signed deals with six actors — including Vampire Diaries vet Matt Davis — to star in the potential offshoot.

Also attached to the project: Danielle Rose Russell, who makes her debut as teenage Hope in The Originals upcoming fifth and final season, and Aria Shahghasemi, who similarly appears in The Originals farewell season as Hope’s love interest.

Rounding out the cast will be relative newcomers Quincy Fouse (The Goldbergs), Kaylee Bryant (Santa Clarita Diet) and Jenny Boyd; details on their characters are being kept under wraps.

Davis’ casting all but confirms that the potential series will be set in Mystic Falls at Alaric and Caroline’s Salvatore Boarding School for the Young & Gifted. Last year, Originals EP Julie Plec reminded TVLine that “the idea of the school as a safe haven for young supernatural beings certainly has a lot of relevance for Hope.”

giphy.gif

But it is funny that Matt Davis is the one who tried to leave the show, ended up coming back and is now on board for a spin off lol.

if caroline is back, then i will be back
best character from start to finish on TVD

Series Ordered

Now titled Legacies.
The CW has given a series order to Legacies, TVLine has learned, with series creator Julie Plec at the helm. Here’s the official synopsis:

Continuing the tradition of The Vampire Diaries and The Originals, the story of the next generation of supernatural beings at The Salvatore School for the Young and Gifted. Klaus Mikaelson’s daughter, 17-year-old Hope Mikaelson; Alaric Saltzman’s twins, Lizzie and Josie Saltzman; and other young adults come of age in the most unconventional way possible, nurtured to be their best selves…in spite of their worst impulses. Will these young witches, vampires and werewolves become the heroes they want to be — or the villains they were born to be?

Plec will serve as an executive producer, along with Brett Matthews, Leslie Morgenstein and Gina Girolamo.
With Alaric and the twins on board, I'd be shocked if Caroline doesn't have some sort of presence.

They need to put this universe to bed. TVD ended, the Originals is on it's final season (because of low ratings I do believe) and somehow they think a third instalment is going to be more successful? Nope! It'll be lucky to survive the first season.

This is coming from someone who was invested in TVD (once it got past the melodramatic teenage stuff) and as someone who has enjoyed the Originals. Julie needs to focus on something completely different if she's wanting to move on with a new project.

#opinion

Here's hoping they can finally expand the mythology.

Here's hoping they can finally expand the mythology.
Is there anywhere left to go? They've done Vampires, they've done Werewolves, and Hybrids. They've done Witches, and Spirits (of sorts). Heck, they've even touched on Sirens.

Unless they're going to suddenly introduce Zombies, Angels and Aliens, I don't see where they can truly go long-term. These series are, and always have very much been about the dynamic between Vampires, Werewolves and Witches.

Demons and Sirens have not had that much exploration. Expand and make big bads.

Demons and Sirens have not had that much exploration. Expand and make big bads.
The Sirens played a big bad in TVD. That, and there's a new show with the exact title, featuring ... Sirens. To suddenly include them as villains in another show would seem too... lazy.

Demons may work, but that's been done to death. I'm not convinced this show is going to make it for long - it's just another grab (by Julie) to hold on to her supernatural-roots (so to speak). There's just not that much market for Supernatural-themed shows at the moment, those that are doing well have been around for some time and/or have a strong fanbase - or at least, a dedicated enough fanbase to keep a show afloat.

People cared for the characters of Klaus & Elijah, and the Originals became a thing, but Julie couldn't hold on to what, so instead she's trying to make another show about characters we don't really know. Alaric (the actor) isn't going to stick around for long, and I doubt Candice(?) will feature much either. This show will flop, just wait and see.

The Sirens played a big bad in TVD. That, and there's a new show with the exact title, featuring ... Sirens. To suddenly include them as villains in another show would seem too... lazy.

Demons may work, but that's been done to death. I'm not convinced this show is going to make it for long - it's just another grab (by Julie) to hold on to her supernatural-roots (so to speak). There's just not that much market for Supernatural-themed shows at the moment, those that are doing well have been around for some time and/or have a strong fanbase - or at least, a dedicated enough fanbase to keep a show afloat.

People cared for the characters of Klaus & Elijah, and the Originals became a thing, but Julie couldn't hold on to what, so instead she's trying to make another show about characters we don't really know. Alaric (the actor) isn't going to stick around for long, and I doubt Candice(?) will feature much either. This show will flop, just wait and see.
Lord, if they can't get more people from TVD/ The Originals to show up, this show is going to stink.

[YT]_XF09xzl_T8[/YT]

A little bare, but considering The Originals finale somehow still hasn't aired yet, that's to be expected...

Also
One familiar face has signed on to appear on Legacies: Zach Roerig, who played Matt Donovan on The Vampire Diaries. (TVD star Paul Wesley is also on tap to direct an episode.) As for others, Caroline (Candice King) will be mentioned, “and if we have my way, we will see her face a lot,” Plec said. And the door is open to everyone else to pop in, if they so choose.

well i guess elijah doesn't die at the end of originals.

This is going to fail. They're running outta' ideas and Julie doesn't want to let go of this universe. I predict two seasons (at most) before this is cancelled.

This is going to fail. They're running outta' ideas and Julie doesn't want to let go of this universe. I predict two seasons (at most) before this is cancelled.

One or two seasons is fine.

caroline better show up or no dice from me

caroline better show up or no dice from me
Caroline & Alaric are pretty much guaranteed, and (apparently) Matt will be in a few episodes. No word yet on Damon, Bonnie or Elena; I'd expect Bonnie out of the three.

Caroline & Alaric are pretty much guaranteed, and (apparently) Matt will be in a few episodes. No word yet on Damon, Bonnie or Elena; I'd expect Bonnie out of the three.

I'm hoping Caroline will be in it but I doubt Damon or Elena would make an appearance and I think I read that the actress who played Bonnie already said she wasnt interested in coming back for this.

https://tvline.com/2018/08/01/legacies-spoilers-steven-r-mcqueen-jeremy-gilbert-cameo/

Jeremy will appear in episode 3. Makes sense considering how cameo at the end of TVD.

He makes sense for this, Matt makes sense for this. Caroline has got to have an open invitation, considering her position at the school and her daughters. Whichever Mikaelsons survive tonight could presumably drop in to visit Hope every now and then. Beyond that, I don't think anyone else is really needed. Damon and Elena are both human now, and with Damon having the cure, he should really be staying out of vampire business. Bonnie wanted to see the world, it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for her to come settle down back in her hometown.

Last edited:
I'm hoping Claire Holt and Phoebe Tonkin(at least in flashback). Kat Grahm would be nice but Bonnie might be tough to fit in.

someone could talk to bonnie on the phone or facetime every now and then. it'd be odd to think that these characters might never be mentioned when they were so integral to the characters that are still on the show

Thoughts on the final then? I admit it touched all the right nerves with the goodbye scene, though it was sucky to see them go. I guess [those cast] members decided they'd had enough with the role? There can't of been any reason to kill [them] off otherwise. Kinda' expected just the one.

One thing we can be assured of (considering who is left) is who has the potential for a cameo (on the new spinoff) down the road.
I further expected that Elijah would have had some form of reunion with Hayley too, rather than him just becoming dust.

Can't say I was disappointed with the final though; it wrapped a lot up quite nicely.

Julie Plec needs to let this little universe of hers go. Legacies isn't going to last more than two seasons I don't suspect. There's only so many stories they can write about Wolves, Witches and Vampires (and Sirens).

That is, unless they suddenly decide to expand their Mythology and Angels and Demons start showing up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"