The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread (🚨SPOILERS🚨)

Man of Steel not only died just in his second movie but also lost the spotlight to batman. What a wasted opportunity!!!

Now mos is history, back to Superman Legacy please people.

Stay in your lane, man.

tumblr_mjia9y1kTr1rr8wbto1_500.gif

GLaI.gif

I agree 100% that when it concerns the DC franchise as a whole, Superman needs to be front and center... I am hoping that James Gunn does that. Walter Hamada made a terrible mistake when he decided to put the Superman character to the sidelines. When he tried to bring Superman back in at the time of Black Adam, it was too little too late... having said all that, I still do wish the DCEU was completed the way that Snyder wanted it completed.
I’m sensing a pattern that you have to have the last word in everything.

So go ahead and post again how you aren’t a fan of BvS and you aren’t a fan of the Snyderverse but you wish that he hadn’t been robbed of his opportunity to complete his vision.

Then it can be over and everyone can discuss the set photos without all of wasted Snyder talk.

I’m sensing a pattern that you have to have the last word in everything.

So go ahead and post again how you aren’t a fan of BvS and you aren’t a fan of the Snyderverse but you wish that he hadn’t been robbed of his opportunity to complete his vision.

Then it can be over and everyone can discuss the set photos without all of wasted Snyder talk.
It actually has nothing to do with the last word... I can voice my opinion, whether you like it or not.

i like the colors of the new suit.
I think David Corenswet has a lot of potential.
If James Gunn puts Superman first in this franchise, there's a really good chance that the DCU will be a great success

I'm not as stupid and ignorant as you make me out to be.

I agree 100% that when it concerns the DC franchise as a whole, Superman needs to be front and center... I am hoping that James Gunn does that. Walter Hamada made a terrible mistake when he decided to put the Superman character to the sidelines. When he tried to bring Superman back in at the time of Black Adam, it was too little too late... having said all that, I still do wish the DCEU was completed the way that Snyder wanted it completed.
I get the impression it was more of the suits than Walter. Avengers changed everything. WB rushed out Superman/Batman because of the success of the Avengers. Rumors where Zach had mentioned that he wanted Batman to be the villain in Man of Steel 2. He wanted to go against the grain of the cookie cutter Superhero team up. Great idea but true Batman and Superman fans know that they might have different philosophies but they would never try to kill one and other. Batman returns was a great comic book but Superman would never become the Regan era Republican that he was portrayed to be in the comics. Snyder decided to give us different takes of both characters and it was easy pickings for the internet hord to destroy. I just hope it’s not to late for Superman.

I get the impression it was more of the suits than Walter. Avengers changed everything. WB rushed out Superman/Batman because of the success of the Avengers. Rumors where Zach had mentioned that he wanted Batman to be the villain in Man of Steel 2. He wanted to go against the grain of the cookie cutter Superhero team up. Great idea but true Batman and Superman fans know that they might have different philosophies but they would never try to kill one and other. Batman returns was a great comic book but Superman would never become the Regan era Republican that he was portrayed to be in the comics. Snyder decided to give us different takes of both characters and it was easy pickings for the internet hord to destroy. I just hope it’s not to late for Superman.
:):up:

My fiancees mom keeps saying I look like David corenswet and I'm here to proclaim she is dead wrong and it's not true! But I appreciate the compliment haha.
I was always told I look like Reeve, Cavill (even before his role of Superman and when he was in the Tudors) and Welling, so I took that and went and went to do charity for children. Let's team up🤟🤟

David looks amazing and I believe the overall online reaction is a positive. Also, have to laugh, the trunks and David's gifts behind the trunks are getting a lot of buzz as well. Both Superman and Lois look cute together, with little background information to add.

As for Cavill. This is Hollywood, many actors and actresses have been bitten by the system, in that he is not special. The main reason he was probably cast aside was that he is a mediocre actor. He may have his adherents, but overall the general audience was not impressed. Also Gunn likes a happy, working set. Cavill seems to have a reputation for not being that kind of actor, some even say he is toxic, especially to female writers. I for one wish him no harm, but I am glad he is gone.

The reaction looks to be as mixed as the official release image, but slightly better due to things like the S on the cape and the bright colors. Fans will be fans, so that's normal. I'm positive it will look fantastic as a finished product.

As far as Cavill, I don't believe any of that. WB leadership was on ice and even rocky before the release of BvS.

When Emmerich took over, things were already changing and David Goyer confirmed the studio was all over the place with plans even before MoS came out.

I followed this endlessly and I feel the fallout happened when the Shazam! cameo fell through at the last minute. The studio wanted Henry back, and the entire cast and crew of Shazam confirmed it was a go until the last minute. What I think happened was, after the turnout of JL, Cavill's camp, notably Dany Garcia, backed away from Shazam and was steering the conversation to Black Adam as Dwayne Johnson wanted that showdown with Superman and Cavill and not Levi (that's well documented). When they pulled out, that burned the bridge because Shazam was a Hamada produced film where they wanted Superman, and Cavill's camp wanted positioned with what Seven Bucks was doing with a Black Adam universe (you can't blame them after what transpired with JL). That's what started the division and feud with Garcia and the studio. It's on record that Emmerich said that as long as he was in charge, Cavill was out because of that failed cameo. After that, that's when the rumors of Cavill being out was confirmed where Dany had to fight for her client for years. It was only when the new regime took over that brought Henry back (Abdy and DeLuca), but that was quickly revoked with the final rebooted decision by Zaslav after abysmal performance's and lack of leadership under DC.

That's my logical take.

The suit definitely looks better in these set photos than it did in the first reveals. I don't hate it like I originally did and overall I'm okay with it.

The positives:

- Corenswet looks just like Superman.
- The hair is pitch perfect.
- The Trunks! So glad to have them back and they are proportioned well.
- The cape is the length I prefer and it looks well designed in terms of thickness. Cool to see the logo again.
- The colors are vibrant and a nice change to the darker tones we've seen in Superman costumes the last several years. It will be interesting to see the color grading changes on film.

The Negatives

- The costume still looks way too thick. It maybe seem like a lazy or overused complaint, but it really does feel like an MCU styled suit. The thickness also is creating an unappealing bunching of the costume. While they may have not wanted to go with another skin tight costume, certainly there could have been a happy medium. It also hides all of the hard work Corenswet put into his physique. It very much reminds me of his the SR muscle suit took away all of Routh's physical gains.
- The collar. I still do not like it, although the slight v-neck looks better than what appeared to be a rounded collar in the first reveal.
- The costume lines still feel unnecessary and clunky. IMO, it only draw more attention to the motorcycle jacket look of the top.
- The symbol looks a little flat. I think it should pop more.
- The belt and bucket seem a little clunky and doesn't look great.

It's not a perfect suit, and it definitely has it's major flaws, but hopefully I feel better about it once we see it on screen in motion and post production. There's room for improvement and I hope Gunn makes some changes if a sequel is made. It's not my favorite Superman suit on screen. That honor still goes to SR's suit and Routh's KC suit. It's definitely better than the dreadful BvS/JL suit Cavill wore.

BTW, Rachel look great!

Last edited:
I think these set photos have won more people over than lost them. I do still see a good bit of negative reaction to it, which some of the criticism I can see is valid. I still think it's going to look fantastic once we see the official trailer!

I think these set photos have won more people over than lost them. I do still see a good bit of negative reaction to it, which some of the criticism I can see is valid. I still think it's going to look fantastic once we see the official trailer!
It's been mixed again. These are the early fun days, though. The final product will do the talking, as always. I think once we hear David speak and we put his booming voice behind his look, all these suit concerns will be secondary. I'm intrigued for the first teaser/trailer to hit. What everything will look like on screen is still masked in mystery. These are the exciting times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"