The Dark Knight (2008) vs Avengers: Endgame (2019)

I ultimately don't know why we're obsessed with either making sure people know TDK is the greatest CBM of all-time or alternately proving that it isn't with polling data. At the end of the day, all I care about is my own opinion. I liked Endgame more. I don't need any validation for that. I have the only validation that matters.

This. On here no, though sadly. Certain people don't allow that thinking, I mean across the board on choices, not just on Endgame related choice of like/dislike.

Good lord. I only pointed out that these vs polls are a bit pointless because TDK always wins :whatever: I’m not casting aspersions on people’s personal preferences.

I'm sure there are polls that TDK has lost and indeed what matters most is what each of us prefer. I do, however, think that it's pretty soon to judge Endgame's popularity by poll results, only 10 days after its release. Let's see how it stands the test of time.

I can tell that my opinion on Endgame is not going to change. Saw it 4 times already. My opinion is pretty cemented in.

I can tell that my opinion on Endgame is not going to change. Saw it 4 times already. My opinion is pretty cemented in.
Saw it twice. On my 2nd viewing I did feel the movie dragged at some points. Not as good as my first viewing but definitely still one of the modern classics for me. I'd argue that Endgame has some of the best scenes in cinema history.

Saw it twice. On my 2nd viewing I did feel the movie dragged at some points. Not as good as my first viewing but definitely still one of the modern classics for me. I'd argue that Endgame has some of the best scenes in cinema history.

It doesn't drag at all for me. It's the best paced 3hr film I've ever seen. It feels much shorter, which is a good thing. I never feel the length.

It doesn't drag at all for me. It's the best paced 3hr film I've ever seen. It feels much shorter, which is a good thing. I never feel the length.
So you think that Endgame is superior to TDK ? How far the distance between both films in your opinion ?

I ultimately don't know why we're obsessed with either making sure people know TDK is the greatest CBM of all-time or alternately proving that it isn't with polling data. At the end of the day, all I care about is my own opinion. I liked Endgame more. I don't need any validation for that. I have the only validation that matters.

I wish I could be more like you in this regard. But, to my shame, I resent having "solid crime flick with great cinematography, one iconic acting performance and very light comic book theming" continue to be exalted as the best superhero movie that has ever been and ever will be. Anyway, Begins was better.

Last edited:
So you think that Endgame is superior to TDK ? How far the distance between both films in your opinion ?

I don't think it really is close for me. TDK is definitely a top dog amongst CBMs and is a great movie. You'll get no argument from me there. But, Endgame has the best action sequence in a CBM ever, has wonderful character work, and it pays homage to more about what I like about comics. Some people are Batman guys, and while I like Batman quite a bit, he's not my favorite. I've always been more about more fantastical characters. Superman is my favorite DC hero, and the comics I mainly read were Spidey, Cap, Iron Man, the Avengers, and the FF. I read plenty of others, but these are the ones I have way more issues of than any others. So Endgame speaks to me more and it really is the perfect "comic book" movie for me. TDK is a wonderful film, but it also downplays the fantastical by design, and as you can see from what I mainly read, I gravitate towards the fantastical and outlandish.

I see these polls as something interesting, to see if a new comic book movie succeeds in what others failed to do.

Completely concur, this is one of the reasons why I'm at times baffled by why people actually care about things like RT as if a movies rating on RT validates their opinion as being right or wrong on a film.

I don't mind healthy debate regarding film, hence why we're all here, but the only opinion I really care about is my own.

Same here. I was so engrossed in the story and things kept happening in a propulsive manner that I never felt bored. I'm not sure they could have done the film with any less runtime than they did as all the scenes feel needed and never too long.

Using your list from the original post:

1. Superior story: Endgame; but, to be fair, I'm not a batfan
2. Superior action: Endgame; not even close
3. Superior villain: Tie
4. Better climax(s): Endgame
5. More thrilling: Endgame; no contest
6. More dramatic: Endgame by a country mile
7. Better pacing: Endgame
8. Superior Acting ensemble: Endgame
9. More enjoyable: Endgame; both made me sad, but Endgame did so in a good way.

Using your list from the original post:

1. Superior story: Endgame; but, to be fair, I'm not a batfan
2. Superior action: Endgame; not even close
3. Superior villain: Tie
4. Better climax(s): Endgame
5. More thrilling: Endgame; no contest
6. More dramatic: Endgame by a country mile
7. Better pacing: Endgame
8. Superior Acting ensemble: Endgame
9. More enjoyable: Endgame; both made me sad, but Endgame did so in a good way.

You thought Thanos in Endgame on par with Ledger's Joker from TDK :wow:. If you'd said Thanos from IW I'd be a little more on board because he was fantastic in that, but in Endgame, he's only really there for the big climax, Endgame was mostly about the heroes.

I thought the pacing was a lot worse in Endgame, it's a 3 hour film & it feels like it. It takes a bit of a while to get going & then all of a sudden it's all going full throttle.

You thought Thanos in Endgame on par with Ledger's Joker from TDK :wow:. If you'd said Thanos from IW I'd be a little more on board because he was fantastic in that, but in Endgame, he's only really there for the big climax, Endgame was mostly about the heroes.

I thought the pacing was a lot worse in Endgame, it's a 3 hour film & it feels like it. It takes a bit of a while to get going & then all of a sudden it's all going full throttle.

Thanos is a bit crap in Endgame, to be honest. He
dies in the first ten minutes.

Other Thanos has zero character development, and is just the big bad thing they have to beat.

Thanos is a bit crap in Endgame, to be honest. He
dies in the first ten minutes.

Other Thanos has zero character development, and is just the big bad thing they have to beat.

Exactly, Thanos in Endgame isn't remotely on TDK's Joker's level.

IW Thanos on the other hand is a lot closer, although I still slightly prefer Joker.

You thought Thanos in Endgame on par with Ledger's Joker from TDK :wow:. If you'd said Thanos from IW I'd be a little more on board because he was fantastic in that, but in Endgame, he's only really there for the big climax, Endgame was mostly about the heroes..
I admit that I did not separate him from earlier appearances. Fair point.

I wish I could be more like you in this regard. But, to my shame, I resent having "solid crime flick with great cinematography, one iconic acting performance and very light comic book theming" continue to be exalted as the best superhero movie that has ever been and ever will be. Anyway, Begins was better.

I empathize for sure. While I enjoy TDK I definitely think it's become massively overrated by it's fans to the point of absurdity. It's far from perfect.

The thing that TDK ultimately has going for it though, and what separates it from most movies in this genre, is it's sophistication and depth. I'll concede that a movie like Endgame is a more entertaining and emotional roller coaster ride, but what you see is what you get. When it's over there's really no further conversation to be had beyond a purely superficial level.

TDK on the other hand is a movie that sparks conversation and raises deeply profound questions about the nature of good and evil. It's a movie that puts your own morality to the test.

Exactly, Thanos in Endgame isn't remotely on TDK's Joker's level.

IW Thanos on the other hand is a lot closer, although I still slightly prefer Joker.

When it comes to geek cinema I think Joker in TDK is a on a tier all by himself if I'm being honest.

Thanos was great sure and he had a commanding presence on screen, but his evil plan might be the worst in the history of evil plans. I never fully bought into his motivation nor could I even bother to understand it.

In fact I might be in the minority here but I enjoyed him more in Endgame than I did IW. If only because he left the tortured savior stuff behind got right down to being a vicious tyrant.

Yeah, but they've been made by different people. This person made multiple ones in the year since they've joined.
Is there a problem or something ? Because I've made a lot of versus thread, including A1 vs IW and many things besides that. I'm just curious and want to see people debate about two movies, that's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"