The Dark Knight Rises (2012) or The Amazing Spider Man (2012)

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics Films' started by Neil McCauley, Sep 25, 2020.

?

Better cbm

1. The Dark Knight Rises

30 vote(s)
    90.9%
  2. The Amazing Spider Man

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

I don't hate TASM but it was inferior to what came before so ultimately pointless.

TDKR for me in another bizarre comparison.

2. Lantern Venom Lego SUCKS

The ASM films are underrated, and some of the heat that they got can be attributed to fans who understandably wanted to see the Raimi story actually finish and fans who wanted Spidey in the MCU. But neither of those films compares to TDKR, which also suffered some unfair heat due to its predecessor being in the conversation for greatest CBM of all-time.

Green Goblin likes this.
  3. Frodo Registered

I don't think the ASM films are underrated. They just didn't catch fire with the GA the way the Raimi films did, nor in the way the Watts films have.

That's the reality.

Yes, there were fans who wanted to see the Raimi films finish, and there was always going to be some push back to a new Spiderman actor, but those can be overcome with a strong story and a good films.

The ASM films couldn't clear those bars. They just weren't as strong imo.

There were some fans who didn't want ASM to be thrown out ,and the character to be rebooted again, but at the end of the day , the vast majority of the GA, and fandom, love Tom Holland and the new films, and there really isn't alot of regret that the ASM films were ended.

All that said, I do think Garfield and Stone did the best they could with the material they were given.

4. Lantern Venom Lego SUCKS

We'll just have to disagree on that. I follow numerous Spider-man websites and social media pages, and there is a considerable amount of fandom devoted to the Garfield version of Spidey. There is plenty of nostalgia for the TASM films on Twitter. I also remember the massive swell of support for a live-action Spider-verse film with both Maguire and Garfield following the success of Into the Spider-verse. Moreover, I just saw that the new Spider-man Remastered game for PS5 (or latest edition? I'm not sure since I'm not a gamer) will include the costume from TASM. Marvel wouldn't still be throwing out bones if that version of Spidey had been forgotten.

5. Blade Hoarder Registered

The movies suck even more when you assess them in an isolated context.

if you compare them to Tobeyman, you can understand some of their dumb creative decisions like Uncle Ben and the parents goof plot.

If you compare them to MCU Spider-Man, they have some competent cinematography.

if you compare them to neither, if you pretend it’s the only set of cinematic Spider-Man films, they suck even more man. They suck even more.

6. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

TDKR by a good bit.

The ASM movies came and went and it felt like the only thing people remembered about them was Garfield and Stone.

7. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

I would go further and say I like both MoS and BvS more than TASM. TASM has a few decent action beats, but it comes off like a mediocre at best YA movie with little to no style and one of the dumber plots in a Spider-Man film (would be the dumbest if TASM2 didn't exist). Snyder's movies ain't great, but I at least see artistic vision being attempted. TASM just felt like Spider-Man with more Twilight.

#32 Spider-Fan, Oct 3, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  8. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

ASM also reminded me a lot of Twilight. So I like that you brought up that comparison.

Another_Fool and Awest66 like this.
  9. Herofan Registered

To me they kind of feel like what a Spider-Man movie in the '90s could/may well have ended up as.

Also yes very influenced by/wanting to be Twilight as well as The Dark Knight.

10. Another_Fool Registered

While I like ASM a lot, the Twilight feel bothered me. Its clear the studio said to make this movie like Twilight to capture that audience. Its fricking Spider-Man. It doesn't need to copy another franchise.

I will say though that Gwen and Peter are electric and their romance was the only good thing about their aim for that Twilight audience but that has more to do with Emma and Garfield elevating that material.

Awest66 and Kahran Ramsus like this.
  11. Herofan Registered

I'm one who thought Emma Stone improved the material, Garfield was right at its low level.

12. Gothamsknight Registered

The Dark Knight Rises without question. I'm not a fan of either of TASM movies.

Awest66 and Kahran Ramsus like this.