The Dark Knight Rises The Dark Knight Rises Worldwide

-JKR-

Superhero
Reaction score
I opened a similar thread for The Dark Knight back in 2008. Was curious to know how the situation is in foreign countries. How is the movie being marketed in various countries? Are the TV Spots, Billboards, Banners, etc.? Is it anticipated: how's the hype?

Here in Italy (by the way, we are the last market to see the pic, on August 29!) Warners really dropped the ball (not that they marketed The Dark Knight better): the General Audience barely knows there's a new Batman pic coming, and that it's the conclusion of the Dark Knight trilogy. There are no posters in theaters (at least, there weren't some weeks ago), there are no billboards, no TV spots, nothing. Just the trailers avalailabe on the official websites, Facebook and Youtube profiles of the movie and Warner Bros. Italy. The hype amongst the general audience (those who don't really follow movie news, etc.) = 0

They've also had the the genius idea of translating the title with Il Cavaliere Oscuro - Il ritorno (The Dark Knight - The Return) instead of the more faithful and interesting translation L'ascesa del Cavaliere Oscuro.

...and in other countries?

That is probably because it doesn't come out for other a month :D

From where I am (UK) we've had a few spots but I've not seen much other than that. No billboards. July 20th its released here as well.

That is probably because it doesn't come out for other a month :D

From where I am (UK) we've had a few spots but I've not seen much other than that. No billboards. July 20th its released here as well.

Yup, but one would think the general audience should be made more aware of an event movie such as The Dark Knight Rises.
How's the hype in the UK?

I'm from belgium, my review shall rise properly when the time is ready. :batty:

I was in a French supermarket yesterday and there was this huge poster saying "premiers 24/07/2012."

Haven't seen the spots/trailers on tv here, but I don't watch TV that often, so... posters are seen in cinemas obviously. I just hope it does a bit better than TDK BO-wise at least.

France :

Not a single billboard, TV add or anything. The movie's coming out on July 25th, with no premieres before the 24th other than the special Paris premiere with all the cast on the 20th or 21st.

I have yet to see one trailer in the theaters. This is due to the fact that most French cinemas do not show specific trailers attached to a movie. They just use a couple of trailers (and a LOT of **** adverts) that they screen in front of all the features they have on their marquee, and swap them with new ones every two months or so. So basically, if you go to the movies 3 times a week, you get to rewatch the same boring trailers over and over again, to the point that you'll beg the employees to change them.

However I do expect one of the trailers to be screened this week now that we are so close to the release.

I have however seen an advertisement for the basic action figures, which sucked big time, with corny French voices pretending to be Bane or Batman.

That's about it. The general toy stores (Toys R Us) only have the basic figure in their aisles, and so far they're quite a rare sight (my local TRU) only has a dozen of them for example, scrammed in a corner of the aisle dedicated to SpiderMan at the moment. I'm sure it's different in Parisian toy stores and toy stores generally dedicated to adult collectibles.

France is just usually slow on marketing. The main media getting things moving are the TV, with documentaries ands features on filmmakers/actors who have, and movie magazines.

I have seen a feature on Christian Bale on one of the major TV channels, due to the approaching release date, and of course, movie magazines have done their jobs over the last few months and kept us posted on what was going on, and their July issues usually displaying Batman on their front covers.

Some shops like Fnac (some kind of Virgin Megastore) are offering Blu Ray boxsets, one featuring all Nolan movies from Following to The Dark knight Rises, another with TDKR and memorabilia (photos, posters...). Of course, TDKR blu ray is not available yet, but when you buy the boxset you get a voucher to get your copy on the day of its release... You basically buy your right to a copy, in some kind of deluxe edition, far more expensive, and that can roughly be summarized as an empty cardboard box as long as the Blu ray's not out.

That's about it for France.

If you know a Batman movie is coming out, you can find some info. If you don't, well... Tough.

Note : I live on the Riviera, not far from Cannes, faaaaar from the capital. Things might be a little better in Paris, with perhaps some metro billboards and more visible collectibles in toy stores.

Aha, there are some Fnacs here too, so I might check those out.

Hi everyone. Here in Portugal, there are just the teaser posters in almost all theaters. The real marketing with tv spots and banners will only start 1 week before the premiere, 2 August :csad:

Marketing has been severely underwhelming here in the Philippines. Just a few billboards in major thoroughfares. It's just a couple of weeks before the release but it seems the general audience also has no idea that an awesome movie is upon us. I went to the biggest IMAX theatre the other day (there are only 4 here) and while most of the good seats are taken, there are still plenty left. That speaks volumes about the lack of awareness for this film and the necessity to see it in the IMAX film.

I'm doing my part by posting in facebook every new poster and stressing the need to see it in imax so my friends will have a fantastic time watching the film. They think TDKR is just another superhero movie. How wrong they are.

Contrast this to when The Avengers opened and billboards were EVERYWHERE. There were also tie-ins with food chains which gave away Avengers toys.

I just hope WB ramps up the marketing in the next two weeks. They're a bigger studio with more experience and resources and more than Marvel PLUS they have an unquestionably superior movie. It baffles me how they could bungle this marketing campaign when a movie like this comes out once in a generation, and it's a very marketable film at that (it's BATMAN for crying out loud). They're doing the public a disservice by not raising enough awareness about TDKR.

Switzerland: Release date is the 26th.

When I watched TASM 1.5 weeks ago I saw the Poster No3 yay. Plus since two days they started advertising it on the radio and print medias. With competitions and stuff too.

Cant say bout tv spots cause
I rarely watch german tv and always record it and skip te commercials.

Yup, but one would think the general audience should be made more aware of an event movie such as The Dark Knight Rises.
How's the hype in the UK?

TV spots are very frequent not. Trailers though have been crap, not with the right films, sometimes showing the teaser.

Other than that not much. Haven't seen ANY merchandise in stores (including posters). However, its sold out very well! A LOT of screens across the UK sold out first day.

Brazil: Release date is 27th. Few spots. Lazy marketing... Sad.

In Ireland, haven't seen anything outside of the cinema. bad place, they only played trailer two in front of TASM last night.

They've also had the the genius idea of translating the title with Il Cavaliere Oscuro - Il ritorno (The Dark Knight - The Return) instead of the more faithful and interesting translation L'ascesa del Cavaliere Oscuro.

...and in other countries?

Here in Portugal, the title will be O Cavaleiro das Trevas Renasce, in a literal translation means: The Dark Knight Reborns. It's not bad, I thought they would translate it to O Cavaleiro das Trevas Regressa which means The Dark Knight Returns. The real translation in portuguese sounds realy bad: A Ascenção do Cavaleiro das Trevas. Here the word Rises it's used a lot in religious stuff, so the use of Reborn in the title is ok...

Last edited:
Hi!

I'm from Sweden and here the movie doesn't go up until the 25th. At my local cinema they have just started putting up posters and standees.

They usually start putting up them around the city about a week before the movie goes up, right now there is The Amazing Spider-Man posters that are up on billboards and such. It's usually just one at a time they promote, before Spider-Man it was Prometheus and soon I'm quite sure it's The Dark Knight Rises turn.

Same goes with tv-spots, the ones running now are mostly for Spider-Man, but it shouldn't be long until one can see the first TDKR one.

Also saw Trailer 3 with TASM and the eeriness and unique atmosphere of it really went noticed as suddenly you could hear people more clearly and how they went more silent when the trailer had rolled a few seconds.

:)

France :

Not a single billboard, TV ad or anything. The movie's coming out on July 25th, with no premieres before the 24th other than the special Paris premiere with all the cast on the 20th or 21st.

I have yet to see one trailer in the theaters. This is due to the fact that most French cinemas do not show specific trailers attached to a movie. They just use a couple of trailers (and a LOT of **** adverts) that they screen in front of all the features they have on their marquee, and swap them with new ones every two months or so. So basically, if you go to the movies 3 times a week, you get to rewatch the same boring trailers over and over again, to the point that you'll beg the employees to change them.

However I do expect one of the trailers to be screened with movies released this week, now that we are so close to the release.

I have however seen an advertisement for the basic action figures, which sucked big time, with corny French voices pretending to be Bane or Batman.

That's about it. The general toy stores (Toys R Us) only have the basic figures in their aisles, and so far they're quite a rare sight (my local TRU only has a dozen of them for example, crammed in a corner of the aisle which is dedicated to SpiderMan at the moment). I'm sure it's different in Parisian toy stores and toy stores generally dedicated to adult collectibles.

France is just usually slow on marketing. The main media getting things moving are the TV, with documentaries ands features on filmmakers/actors who have projects coming out, and movie magazines.

I have seen a feature on Christian Bale on one of the major TV channels, due to the approaching release date, and of course, movie magazines have done their jobs over the last few months and kept us posted on what was going on, and their July issues usually display Batman on their front covers.

Some shops like Fnac (some kind of Virgin Megastore) are offering Blu Ray boxsets, one featuring all Nolan movies from Following to The Dark knight Rises, another with TDKR and memorabilia (photos, posters...). Of course, TDKR blu ray is not available yet, but when you buy the boxset you get a voucher to get your copy on the day of its release... You basically buy your right to a copy, in some kind of deluxe edition, far more expensive, and that can roughly be summarized as an empty cardboard box as long as the Blu ray's not out.

That's about it for France.

If you know a Batman movie is coming out, you can find some info. If you don't, well... Tough.

Note : I live on the Riviera, not far from Cannes, faaaaar from the capital. Things might be a little better in Paris, with perhaps some metro billboards and more visible collectibles in toy stores.

I saw a big billboard in Paris, in the Forum des Halles, it was the Batman "Rise" poster. But that was near a theater :csad:

I still haven't seen the trailer. I'm super mad about this because I went to see TASM just for that stupid trailer and they still don't have it.
But it was funny because after the film, I heard people talking about comic book films and they agreed that Nolan's Batman films were the best.

Glasgow, Scotland (obv)

Yesterday was the first I seen any posters attached to buses.

I imagine that it will be ramped up big time in the next few days onwards.

The stuff here for TDK was mental.

well, nothing too fancy in Bangladesh. I keep telling the only cinema that releases Hollywood blockbusters to bring it in, but they got Amazing Spider-Man and the Avengers lined up, based on how much ticket they'll sell they'll bring on TDKR (BAT-RAGE)

BUUTTT, everyone else is psyched for TDKR. Easily teh most anticipated film around here, judging from articles in pop-cultural zines and the such. All the TV-Spots are playing on the channels, so aside from the on-location marketing, most of it is here. I'm curious to know how things are going over in INdia since they do play a strong role in the film.

In Bombay(India),I saw couple of Billboards..mostly on major location in the city..TV spots seem to be in abundance..Also,WB has partnered with multiple brands for TDKR..(Some random Indian brands+Nokia with its Lumia 900 TDKR edition etc)..Movie posters have been available for quite a while now..Also,after TASM opened with $6 mil weekend,WB is expecting more...Press Screening on 18th..lets see how it goes.. :)

^ Just to clarify,I know TASM is from Marvel..I meant WB are trying to make sure this superhero film surpasses TASM..

In Italy, apart from Nokia (but the partnership consists only of the Nokia trailer being launched on the Nokia Italy Facebook page here), they haven't partnered with any brands (yet). I hope they will. I've always loved the atmosphere of movie hype and tie-ins, etc.

Funny enough, Warner Bros. Italy has been doing a much better job with the promotion of The Amazing Spider-man (Warners have been releasing Sony's movies since the summer of 2011 here).

Norway: Release date is the 25th (and last time I checked there were still tickets available to the midnight premiere! Seriously, where are my fellow Norwegian bat-fans?!?).
Have seen posters in the theaters, but very little marketing outside of that - no posters and no trailers/tv-spots. I think marketing here might be following Sweden's lead, with focus now being on The Amazing Spiderman, and TDKR being next in line.

looks like WB's got a bigger strategy over in India than in BD :) aw well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"