The Dark Knight vs Captain America: Civil War

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics Films' started by The Batman, Sep 3, 2016.

?

Better Film?

1. The Dark Knight

2. Captain America: Civil War

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. The Batman The Dark Knight

...Because I'm honestly surprised this poll wasn't done yet.

2. Doctor Octopus Registered

Dark Knight is still best comic movie ever.

3. FeedOnATreeFrog (A Metal Gear reference)

Imo Civil War has a ton of amazing moments (some spectacular, some poignant and reserved), but on the whole, I don't think the movie amounts to much. The vision feels too scattered for me for it to sinks its teeth in me. I feel similarly about AOU, BvS, and TASM2.

As for Dark Knight, while I don't love it as much as some people (like I don't think it deserved Best Picture that year), I think it's leagues above Civil War on the whole.

#3 FeedOnATreeFrog, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  4. B [insert witty comment]

Real easy decision for me, The Dark Knight is one of the best if not the best live action depictions of a comic book & IMO was genre changing. Civil War on the other hand I was quite disappointed in, not a bad movie & yet not a good movie, feeling very generic & underwhelming overall. It doesn't even come close to TDK IMO, I'd rank CW in a very average position in comparison to several of Marvel's other movies that led up to it.

5. Batmannerism Super-unknown

Civil war is a great comic book movie - simply great, and better than anything DC has done.....since the Dark Knight. While I have to go with the Dark Knight in this case, that does not diminish Civil War, which I see as a triumph for the genre - it's just that the Dark Knight is a great movie full-stop, that transcends its genre.

At present Civil War is in my top 5 list (with TDK at #1, and Superman the movie at # 2 Guardians of the Galaxy at # 3, Civil War at # 4 and a tie for # 5 between Man of Steel, Batman Begins, and Batman '89).

I'm a hard core DC fan, but I have to admit the brilliance of Civil War, it is a terrific film and I hope that WB/DC have paid attention to it, in crafting justice league - because they sure as hell didn't for Batman v Superman (which is garbage by comparison).

Still, Civil War isn't the Dark Knight which is a film that despite some flaws is almost hypnotic, truly Nolan's greatest work to date (and that's a big statement as Inception is pretty awesome too).

Yeah, so Dark Knight - but Civil War is still terrific !

Neil McCauley likes this.
  6. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

I love Civil War, but I mean.... come on. TDK remains the crown jewel of the genre for a reason.

7. harryoscop Registered

[​IMG]

My final answer.

8. First Avenger Registered

The Dark Knight. You could make a cause to give Civil War the second place,but TDK will probably never be topped.

9. Slade W "Who Is Slade?"

I really enjoyed Civil War and think it is very good. It was certainly by far the best superhero movie I have seen this year (I have not seen Deadpool yet). But even around the time it had come out and the buzz, hype, excitement and praise for it was at its peak, it still could not beat TDKR, which is considered by many to be the weakest of TDKT, in a poll on here and that was most likely the best chance it had of doing so. I would be surprised if it fared better here, against what is considered by most to not only be a superior movie to TDKR, but the best in the genre.

10. AnneFan Hathaway #1

TDK, by some margin.

11. OutOfBoose #ReleaseTheAyerCut

Marvel is getting closer and closer to the top, but they need to pull off something truly special/iconic to surpass The Dark Knight.

12. BH/HHH You Are My World

Easily the Dark Knight

Civil War wasn't as good as the Winter Soldier, do a TDK vs Winter Soldier poll and I have some food for thought. Civil War to me is really overrated it's behind several of the other Marvel films for me.

13. Steamteck Registered

Both are way down the list for me but Civil War has some pretty good stuff in it. More good stuff than disappointing. TDK has more disappointing than good for me.

14. NotNickFury Registered

I mean, Civil War is a great film, no doubt, but it does still very much feel like a superhero movie. Winter Soldier, by comparison, feels like an espionage film starring Captain America.

The Dark Knight feels like an intricate crime drama and it's protagonist is Batman. Again, I feel the best superhero movies are ones that feel like great movies first and great superhero movies second: Dark Knight is a crime drama, Winter Soldier is a spy flick, Guardians of the Galaxy is a space opera. Civil War, while a great film that continues the tone of Winter Soldier, feels very much like a superhero film first.

Good movie that earns its drama and emotional investment, but I feel The Dark Knight easily edges it out on a directing and storytelling level. And that's only with one film prior. For Civil War to have similar weight is no small feat.

15. That9neGuy Registered

Civil War. Really like both, but Civil War is my favorite CBM at the moment. TDK has one spectacular performance but has some annoying plot holes. Nothing in Civil War matches Ledger but overall I like it better.
    Both in my top 5

16. Xrated48 Drink It In Man

The Dark Knight is miles ahead of any CBM including Civil War

17. Spider-Aziz Spelunking

Civil War, easy. :word:

Ooops, wait, I meant The Dark Knight.
    No character is forced into that story, and no big battle against the principals of a rich guy who blackmails a highschool student to travel to Germany and help him to fight in a battle that is against what he wants to do.
    Already done

18. OcStat Registered

I feel like The Dark Knight vs: threads are pointless.

All of us will know, as unanimously as we did with TDK, when a new CBM dethrones that movie. Yes, some have come close, some films might beat out TDK on users personal preference lists, some are just as influential in the years since as TDK was. But one day it will be no question, and all of us will be walking out of the showing of FutureSuperHeroMovie like "GATDAYUM!"

19. Symbiotic Registered

The Dark Knight.

20. The_Manhunter Zack Snyder & MCU Fan

TDK, although for me it's close.

21. XtremelyBaneful Rest in peace, Fahim Saleh

i think cap3 is overrated

22. OutOfBoose #ReleaseTheAyerCut

Cap 3 is overrated, but it's still one of the best MCU movies.

23. Mandias Registered

Dark Knight

24. TeeKay Registered

25. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

My feelings also, they have done some really good movies, but they have yet to do something truly special like TDK as of yet.