The Dark Knight vs Captain America: Civil War

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics Films' started by The Batman, Sep 3, 2016.

?

Better Film?

1. The Dark Knight

2. Captain America: Civil War

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. JKKS085 Registered

Then try harder :woot:
    Limiting Civil War's draw to the airport scene is extremely shortsighted to say the least and branding the films as just "fun" is extremely reductive. The film is rich because of the real world issues it tackles, it is deep because of the emotional impact of the Avengers family being torn apart over an ideological disagreement and personal grudge. And it succeeds in doing all that because the movie does not spoon-fed you morals to resolve that conflict and does not rely on cheap storytelling tricks to magically make those issues disappear (pun intended).
    So yes even though The Dark Knight executes everything a lot better than Civil War I think that behind the spectacle, the latter has much more weight to it. It's not saying The Dark Knight doesn't have any, because it makes very astute sociopolitical comments, but I think Civil War sets off a much deeper debate.

Just thinking about the visuals in BvS makes me sick. It's probably the ugliest, most clumsy looking 250M movie I've ever had the displeasure to sit through. I do however like Mokri's work on Man of Steel.

I cannot disagree more. :woot:

#126 JKKS085, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  2. Patchwork Man Registered

Not agreeing with you does not make me "borderline delusional."

Capisce?

#127 Patchwork Man, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  3. Webfoot Hero West Coaster

So is willfully dismissing movies and arguments that run counter to your's own thoughts and tastes any better? It really isn't.

4. Patchwork Man Registered

You don't understand. Somebody can state an opinion without making veiled insults. Or is that a running theme here? I said I cannot disagree more. I did not say "I cannot disagree more, and you're an idiot for thinking that."

I hope that is all the elaboration you require.

5. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Patchwork is "delusional", but in this case I think writing off Civil War as just "fun" is willfully reductive. It doesn't have the dramatic heft of TDK (and for the record I voted TDK) but that doesn't make CW cotton candy. These are easily two of the best movies that the genre has produced, with a lot to admire.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  6. JKKS085 Registered

Thanks. That's exactly what I meant in the first place and I edited my post accordingly. English isn't my first language and I sometimes sound a lot harsher than I'm supposed to. @Patchwork Man sorry for the misunderstanding man.

7. Patchwork Man Registered

For the record, I meant the airport fight, which is the film's primary attraction (you know, like the big top performance at the traveling carnival) was "fun." That's what most people who went to see the movie were waiting for.

And you know what, I also don't think Civil War is anywhere near as emotionally weighty as people like to make it out to be. Just my opinion.

8. Patchwork Man Registered

No problem. These things happen. We're all fans here.

9. JKKS085 Registered

That's not what I meant, I'm sorry for the confusion. Reductive is a lot more appropriate.
    I am one of those who think that we can all disagree in good fun.

10. Patchwork Man Registered

JKKS085, I also edited my post to remove anything that may be misconstrued as inflammatory. Just FYI.

11. JKKS085 Registered

:cwink:

12. scarlet-witch Stormborn

These are hands down my two favorite CBM of all time, but The Dark Knight always wins. I'm not sure if I'll ever like a CBM better than that.

13. famicommander Registered

The Dark Knight is the most pretentious, overrated comic book film ever made.

Even more overrated than Raimi's Spider-Man 2.

14. I Am The Knight Tonight's a good night.

Lawd.

15. famicommander Registered

Wanna-be art house trash where the characters literally announce their narrative purposes directly to the audience.

Nolan films are all full of heavy handed symbolism and paper thin plots.

16. I Am The Knight Tonight's a good night.

17. Greens I am Danny DeVito

Gotta love those art house blockbusters.

18. Neil McCauley Registered

Going with TDK, but it's close.

Both are two of the best CBMs of all time (top 5) and there's entertainment and good filmmaking in either. But I think TDK is overall better directed, has a far better villain and far better cinematography. I'd probably give it the edge in acting and dialogues.

depth and themes are about even (might lean TDK) and CW has better action (the best in CBMs IMO) and an equal third act.

I will rewatch TDK soon, it's better than Inception at the moment for me.

#143 Neil McCauley, Sep 10, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  19. Gothamsknight Registered

TDK by far. no question about it.

20. The Batman The Dark Knight

Personally, I'm not sure if I thought it was close when I made this poll, but I definitely don't think its close now.

Much as I find TWS and IW overrated, I can see why people think its close to, if not better than TDK. CW? It's a well made, rewatchable film, but it aint TDK level, IMO.

Awest66 likes this.
  21. KaijuDude1992 Registered

Both movies are great, but TDK is on a whole other level IMO. The only other Marvel film that I got that same level of enjoyment out of is The Avengers from 2012. Sure they are very different movies, but man both gave me some truly memorable, movie-going experiences with many iconic and great moments that I will never forget like Hulk beating the crap out of Loki or The Avengers Assemble moment or in the case of TDK the pencil trick or pretty much any scene with Heath Ledger's Joker in it which drove my audience completely nuts back in the day.

TWS and CW are great MCU films, but TDK has everything from a great villain, amazing cinematography and dialogue and an iconic score from Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard. It's honestly kind of sad to me how the majority of the scores from the MCU films are so unmemorable.

22. Neil McCauley Registered

I agree that TDK is better by a good margin but CW is fantastic and the 2nd best Marvel film.

IW is closer to TDKR's level than TDK's, IMO.

CW mixed a serious story, some humor and fun scenes, had good introduction, great action and solid performances. And a small message about government stuff, the plot works well also and it has a good villain.

23. Frodo Registered

I'd say TDK for me.

CW is really what Avengers 2 should have been in alot of ways, and imo, it's much more an Avengers film than a Steve Rogers film.

The moments that stick out for me the most in that film have to do with characters other than Cap.

The intro of Boseman's Black Panther and Holland's Spiderman, The Epic Avengers Airport fight, etc.

Cap gets sort of sidelined in his own picture imo. Yes, I know the arch in the comics covers more characters than just Cap, and I know that Ironman plays a huge role in it.

Still, I miss following the sole journey and struggles of Steve Rogers as we did in CATFA and CACW.

Now, TDK has alot going on in it as well, with several subplots and supporting characters.

All that said, the characters, their actions, their beliefs, are all in a sense a response to what Bruce/Batman has done to Gotham .

So while he isn't in every scene , the dominos that fall are a result of Bruce Wayne's actions and people ranging from Dent, Gordon, Rachel, The Joker , etc, are all responding in one way or another to what Batman intentionally or unintentionally set in motion.

So ,TDK is still Batman's film in many ways while Civil War is very much an Avengers film more than a Captain America film.

24. Filmfreak Registered

Yeah, Civil War is great but for me there is no much contest here.

25. kguillou Registered

Close one for me. TDK is my favorite DC film and Civil War is to date my favorite MCU film. I think both movies are masterfully crafted but TDK wins the edge.

TDK is one of those rare examples of scripting, direction, acting, visuals and musical score all sync together in perfect harmony to create one masterful work.

Civil War has, imo, the MCU’s best script. Markus and Mcfeely were able to make it look easy juggling all those characters and keep the central conflict surprisingly tight and focused. And the way they tie in threads from prior MCU movies is very well done. Henry Jackman’s score though...well lets just say its no Hans Zimmer. Lol That was a hit of a letdown and this movie warranted a riveting musical score.