Dark Phoenix $ The DARK PHOENIX Box Office Speculation ThreaD $

Reaction score
Will Dark Phoenix reach the heights of the Wolverine and Deadpool sequels? Will if flop? Or fall somewhere inbetween?

Personally speaking, I don't see this making more than Logan, domestically and globally.

I'll wait until I see a trailer, as well as how it is received, before I even pretend I have a vague idea about its ultimate reception.

Apocalypse surely left a very bad taste and this will affect DP.

But now I wonder how a possible deal between Disney and FOX, which apparently (and hopefully) is already happening, will affect the BO. Will it hurt? Because the MCU is far more relevant and popular among the general audience, so the news about the next X-Men films joining the MCU will make the general audience very excited. Or will it be good, if they sell it as some sort of good bye?

But now I wonder how a possible deal between Disney and FOX, which apparently (and hopefully) is already happening, will affect the BO. Will it hurt? Because the MCU is far more relevant and popular among the general audience, so the news about the next X-Men films joining the MCU will make the general audience very excited. Or will it be good, if they sell it as some sort of good bye?

Honestly until they say X-Men is joining the MCU id be sceptical for now.

Josh boone doesn't even seem phased by talks of the deal as he is talking about a New Mutants sequel at the Brazil panel today.

Nothing seems to be phasing anyone about this deal, fox continues, kinberg continues, boone continues, james franco continues ect ect

I think the X-Men joining the MCU will take time and be a slower process due to the films already finished and those in pre-production.

Fox is trying to safeguard its investments and staff for those films.

But I would think F4 could turn up in the MCU much more quickly.

I do hope, though, that Feige will have an influence over any X-Men films not released/finished/filmed at the time of the takeover. That depends on the terms of the deal, it could be that Disney agrees not to touch those projects.

But I sure can't wait to let go of this current X-Men incarnation and see something more respectful to the material I've read and collected all these years, rather than this bizarre 'what if' nonsense.

No, it got mixed reception. Logan was a follow-up to the Weapon X stuff in Apocalypse and made more money than that movie. Dark Phoenix is just a follow-up to the Jean Grey stuff of that film. So it depends on the reception of the marketing.

Last edited:
People went to see Logan to see Jackman and Stewart, not a continuation of Apocalypse.

The lack of Jackman is the Achilles' Heel of this franchise.

People went to see Logan to see Jackman and Stewart, not a continuation of Apocalypse.

The lack of Jackman is the Achilles' Heel of this franchise.

Missing the point, which is that people went to see Logan because of its amazing marketing.

The last Wolverine movie before that had the weakest Box Office in the franchise(according to inflation). So Hugh Jackman is not as big as a draw as you think.

Last edited:
Missing the point, which is that people went to see Logan because of its amazing marketing.

The last Wolverine movie before that had the weakest Box Office in the franchise(according to inflation). So Hugh Jackman is not as big as a draw as you think.

Other than the great trailer with the Johnny Cash song, what else was included in this "amazing marketing?"

I really am drawing a blank.

Honestly until they say X-Men is joining the MCU id be sceptical for now.

Josh boone doesn't even seem phased by talks of the deal as he is talking about a New Mutants sequel at the Brazil panel today.

Nothing seems to be phasing anyone about this deal, fox continues, kinberg continues, boone continues, james franco continues ect ect

Of course they will function as if it's business as usual. It hasn't even been confirmed by either party yet :loco:

Other than the great trailer with the Johnny Cash song, what else was included in this "amazing marketing?"

I really am drawing a blank.

You didn’t see the second trailer and that amazing poster?

I really am drawing a blank on the second trailer lol. Sorry.

Second trailer, which really made X-23 an exciting addition, as well as all the TV spots and posters emphasizing the darkness and Western vibe of it. Then the movie delivered. That may be Dark Phoenix's biggest hurdle.

Under 500 ww is impossible.

Apocalypse poor run cannot have an huge impact of these. At least 'cause few seen it.

The Apocalypse marketing was a totally messy, FOX overstimated the general audience cleverness.
So the Apocalypse violet/power ranger comparison affair was a false step
(only the poor cinematographic culture can a person thing that the violet colour was not from light)
And the poster with Apocalypse/Mystica was another huge false step with the nazi-feminist group to rail against it.

The focus on 3 women on DP is a great advantage point. (like we seen with the poor quality Wonder Woman, celebrate in usa only 'cause it has a strong female character)

Second trailer, which really made X-23 an exciting addition, as well as all the TV spots and posters emphasizing the darkness and Western vibe of it. Then the movie delivered. That may be Dark Phoenix's biggest hurdle.

The R rating was also a huge draw for it. Especially after Deadpool.

In normal circumstances, I would probably say somewhere between $450 million and $550 million based on previous films and especially the performance of Apocalypse as a lead in.

However, if it does end up getting announced that Marvel is getting the rights back and this is a lame duck franchise about to be rebooted the second credits roll, then I think the box office could totally collapse, especially domestically. Maybe half of what it would otherwise get. It would destroy interest in this film, which is rather tepid to begin with.

As of now I’d expect something between Apocalypse and DofP. Can narrow down that range when we see more.

I really am drawing a blank on the second trailer lol. Sorry.

Where we all started to fall in love with Dafne Keen.

As for the box office, I expect it to have a reasonable increase to Apocalypse in China. The marketing is already off to a better start, so I can see some reasonable increases in the box office, ideally $200 domestically.

The announcement of a deal is not going to "collapse" the box office. Come on now.

The MCU is massively popular among general audience. So if a deal is made, doesn't matter if Feige announces the first X-Men movie only for 2035, the internet will go crazy with the X-Men joining the MCU. Well, the deal isn't even made yet and all the news about it from entertainment sites mention the X-Men.

And there is a general frustration when it comes to the X-Men movies, despite how good some of them are. Especially among comic book movie fans. And we know the CBM fans make or kill the hype of any movie. See the Apocalypse/Ivan Ooze jokes.

So if an announcement is made, the internet will go crazy and CBM fans will explode from excitement. That mixed with all the frustrations from Singerverse and the bad taste from Apocalypse... The deal could definitely affect the box office. Just think about the power of Ivan Ooze jokes.

I hate this idea that individual stories are "lame ducks" because they are really just implicitly considered advertisements for the next one in this genre nowadays. This is everything I have issue with about the MCU system unintentionally summarized. Unfortunately, fans have accepted this assembly line idea.

If Disney owns the rights to these, they will want them to make money though. So I predict the PR spin will be everyone saying there is a real chance they will incorporate the XMDP cast into the MCU. And keep it vague. Just like how WB pretended Ben Affleck is playing Batman after 2017.

Mind you, it did not really help Justice League either, but that will be what happens.

Last edited:
I hate this idea that individual stories are "lame ducks" because they are really just implicitly considered advertisements for the next one in this genre nowadays. This is everything I have issue with about the MCU system unintentionally summarized. Unfortunately, fans have accepted this assembly line idea.

If Disney owns the rights to these, they will want them to make money though. So I predict the PR spin will be everyone saying there is a real chance they will incorporate the XMDP cast into the MCU. And keep it vague. Just like how WB pretended Ben Affleck is playing Batman after 2017.

Well look at logan, it was Jackmans last movie but people didn't look at it with dismay because it wasn't gonna lead to another movie for him.

Personally i still don't think the final result of this deal will be what many expected

Well look at logan, it was Jackmans last movie but people didn't look at it with dismay because it wasn't gonna lead to another movie for him.

Personally i still don't think the final result of this deal will be what many expected

What do you expect the result will be?

I did look at it with dismay.

Mostly because it was such a grim and hopeless ending for the X-Men and because it took three attempts to get a well-received Wolverine movie.

They tried so hard to put Jackman's Wolverine front and centre as a 'strong silent type' antihero that most of the time he had no substance whatsoever. We never really knew how he felt to live so long, fight all those wars, see everyone he loved die.

Hopefully it works out well for the X-Men. At least Fox's dismal treatment of characters like Storm gives Marvel some opportunities for a different and more accurate portrayal, when it happens.

Feige knows what to do. Fox doesn't. They have no real grasp of the material at all.

These decade jumps (something significant only happens once every 10 years?), the lack of continuity, confusing timelines, and classic characters treated in such a shoddy fashion. I cannot wait for a new version of the X-Men, even if it's 10 years away.

It is understandable that you feel that way, but it is the modern reality that blockbusters are heading towards the more serial model as opposed to individual stories, whether it be Marvel, Star Wars, Fast & Furious, etc. There will always be a place for individual films, but the days of companies looking to spend $200 million on a standalone film are going the way of the dinosaur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"