Guardians of the Galaxy The Deadliest Woman in the Galaxy: The Gamora Thread

Yea to be honest how can she be called "Deadliest woman in the galaxy" with a kill count of 12 lol. I think that might be like already mentioned, just what they can pin on her. And Drax.

I am skeptical of how female superheroes are portrayed in movies. Mainly because I have not really seen any movies where a female character look believable and interesting. I hope this movie and actress changes my outlook.

You're making a bit of a false parallel, as with Star-Lord it's about showing his strength and in Gamora it's about showing her sensuality. It'd be a fairer comparison if Star-Lord was rubbing his nipples and pouting in his shirtless scene.

I'm playing Devil's advocate, though. I can see why it could justifiably be a problem for someone sensitive to such issues, though for me personally it didn't detract from my enjoyment, as I generally loved how Gamora was featured in the trailer, and yes, her costume is a big improvement of her traditional comic outfit.
Again, what evidence do people have that it's about "showing off her sensuality?" The answer is NONE! It's not a false parallel until we get some context, it's that simple. People need to chill the heck out.

I wouldn't call Gamora or any of the Guardians superheroes. Anti-heroes at best. In the case of Gamora and Drax, anti-villains maybe trying to redeem themselves.

Again, what evidence do people have that it's about "showing off her sensuality?" The answer is NONE! It's not a false parallel until we get some context, it's that simple. People need to chill the heck out.

The pose is a classic beauty shot. It's so commonly used to depict sensuality they gave it a name, "beauty shot." So, even if in the film itself it has a radically different context, for the trailer it means you're presenting Gamora in a romantic light.

But again, I feel the need to emphasize, I'm not of the stance that this is problematic, or that Gamora is portrayed poorly here. Even if her depiction was sexualised, I wouldn't necessarily argue that was a problem, as Gamora is established as a sexual character in the comics. I think the overwhelming majority of Gamora's depiction here is as a badass assassin. I'm simply explaining the mindset behind the complaints and that there's a logic to it beyond "let's spoil the fun of all those men because we're feminazis."

She's naked (at least topless) in that scene; she's looking over her shoulder at *somebody* (probably Quill) with a come-hither glance, and she's making no attempts at modesty or covering herself. That's about as sensual as it gets.

And anyways, it's Gamora, fer cryin' out loud. Yes, we get these "objectifying! sexism! body image!" rants every time we get a new female character in these movies, with varying degrees of accuracy in those arguments. In the case of Gamora, it's *entirely* within her character to have a voracious sexual appetite. I wouldn't expect anything less from her.

She's naked (at least topless) in that scene; she's looking over her shoulder at *somebody* (probably Quill) with a come-hither glance, and she's making no attempts at modesty or covering herself. That's about as sensual as it gets.

And anyways, it's Gamora, fer cryin' out loud. Yes, we get these "objectifying! sexism! body image!" rants every time we get a new female character in these movies, with varying degrees of accuracy in those arguments. In the case of Gamora, it's *entirely* within her character to have a voracious sexual appetite. I wouldn't expect anything less from her.

Yeah, let's not forget the time she met Tony Stark....

Really? Tony Stark probably killed more than Gamora or Drax.

Tony Stark was killing in self defense or to protect others, while Gamora and Drax likely have far less heroic reasons.

Tony Stark was killing in self defense or to protect others, while Gamora and Drax likely have far less heroic reasons.

Why can't they have a Punisher body count then? No one thinks of Punisher as a villain. Just an anti-hero who punishes criminals. He started his entire campaign after his family got killed. Drax basically has the same motivation.

And Gamora is an assassin. The Galaxy's most deadly woman. You don't get that title with 12 hits.

So they might not want the audience to view the Guardians as villains. You still have Quill, Rocket and Groot on the team, who aren't anything like Gamora or Drax, to balance it out.

Having 12 murder convictions is quite different from having only killed 12 people.

Yeah, I mentioned earlier that 12 murders were probably all the could link to Gamora. I hope she'll make a comment how that number is actually much higher.

Having 12 murder convictions is quite different from having only killed 12 people.

Very true, good point indeed.

Why can't they have a Punisher body count then? No one thinks of Punisher as a villain. Just an anti-hero who punishes criminals. He started his entire campaign after his family got killed. Drax basically has the same motivation.

And Gamora is an assassin. The Galaxy's most deadly woman. You don't get that title with 12 hits.

So they might not want the audience to view the Guardians as villains. You still have Quill, Rocket and Groot on the team, who aren't anything like Gamora or Drax, to balance it out.

You don't know WHO she's killed, those could've been 12 extremely deadly/powerful characters.

Really geeked out when I saw Zoe all painted up as Gamora so I of course can't wait to see what's done with the character.

It'll be nice to see a badass super-powered female on-screen (that's somewhat of a hero).

Yea to be honest how can she be called "Deadliest woman in the galaxy" with a kill count of 12 lol. I think that might be like already mentioned, just what they can pin on her. And Drax.

Well if she has killed more people than any other woman in the galaxy her title fits. She is the deadliest WOMAN in the galaxy, not the deadliest person remember :cwink:.

I think it's a little early to say that. There could be a lot more to that story that's revealed once the movie actually comes out.

tumblr_n19q2fuvPb1s42v8ho1_500.png

Ooh ooh ooh. Gorgeous.

She's got a really creepy smile in the lineup. I like.

I hope they skip any version of a love interest in this film. I'd rather just see pure characterization for everyone and then in a sequel have Gamora and Adam Warlock fall for one another.

I'm pretty sure that's photoshopped because the actual trailer shot looked like this:
Gamora2.PNG

Meet the Guardians of the Galaxy: Gamora

[YT]dddcpkBJ3R8[/YT]

I'm calling it now, she's not going to be "super powered" in the film she'll be around Cap's level if that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"