The Deadliest Woman in the Galaxy: The Gamora Thread

Discussion in 'Guardians of the Galaxy' started by KangConquers, Jul 18, 2012.

1. BigThor God of Thunder

Gamora was the "Thor" of this film, in this since that she's not a character that people would consider a show stealer.

They both were more or less the most straight forwards characters on the team, there to do their job and keep the nonesense to a minimum.

2. Utracia Registered

Considering she was supposed to be this incredible fighters, she was rather tame compared to her reputation. Would have liked to see her be more of a badass but really this is just a trifle complaint to her amazing character and this fantastic movie.

3. Majik1387 Registered

I honestly really only got the badass vibe from her when she tried stealing the sphere from Quill.

4. Raiden Wakanda Forever

I think they tried to tune down the power level of both Gamora and Drax in this movie.

5. Utracia Registered

I've never read the source material but my understanding is that Quill is supposed to be this superb fighter and genius tactician as well. If so that was certainly toned down as well.

6. ThePowerCosmic Hyped Up

She was badass in the prison escape scene too.

7. terry78 My name is Stefan, sweet thang

Hell Drax is supposed to be on par with Hulk regarding strength. Him, Groot and Gamora are supposes to have superhuman strength but I guess we won't see it till later.

8. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Note that she did the best against Groot of anyone who fought him(?), by far.

9. Mad Ones Bebe le Strange

That's true. And as someone noted she seemed pretty unstoppable in that action scene on Xandar early in the film.

I think seeing Gamora (the one woman on the team) being saved by the leading man is what turns a lot of people off. Including me. At least the context of the situation showed Gamora being determined and brave.

10. Guard82 Registered

Yeah, Gamora was pretty awesome in the fight scene on Xandar, and she was quite formidable during the prison breakout too. And I liked that she was trying to move away from her life as an assassin and do what was right.

11. ThePowerCosmic Hyped Up

I hope to see some flashbacks into Gamora's dark past as an assassin for Thanos in GOTG 2.

12. JLMHodge Registered

You should read the prelude comic to the film. That story shows more or less how bad she was and her relationship with Nebula prior to the film.

13. Spider-Ranger aka Goran

This thing better be censored... for obvious reasons
    :wow: :woot:

[​IMG]

14. Bren Forevernoob

I know she's supposed to be a bad ass killer assassin..... But the way she shook her head when Quill tried to get her to dance with Ronan standing there - that killed me, she was so cute.
    Reminded me of when my Wife asks me to dance before I'm drunk. No way hahaha

15. Keyser Soze AW YEEEAH!

Man, I'm gonna be bankrupted with all these Hot Toys. I've never bought any before because they're so expensive, but when I saw the Rocket/Groot two-pack I thought, "Right, this will be my first and only Hot Toys purchase." Then I saw the Star-Lord one and thought, "Okay, I'll somehow find a way to buy that too." Now Gamora...

16. Lobo Liv is Life

You'll have to complete the Guardians set, then you can be done.

17. terry78 My name is Stefan, sweet thang

I thought you were talking about the fact that it's probably anatomically correct.

18. gildedmuse Snark Is A Superpower

Man, this was a really good moive which just makes me disappointed with how Gamora was written. Why is the deadliest woman in the galaxy so shaken by a couple of prison thugs? Why is it her major scenes are being almost seduced by or saved by Star Lord? Why does she even care about Xander? I mean, obviously she cares because she is a good guy, and the good guys care when a whole planet of people is about to be blown up but is that really enough? I just felt her motivation was weak, and it was sort of a cop out to have her heel turn take place entire before the film.

I mean, suppose that as a young child you are orphaned and then raised by a homicidal maniac that teaches you only the skill set you need to ruthlessly exterminate all in his path. Now add in the prequel comics were we see that Gamora is pretty solidly on team "do whatever you have to and screw over anyone in your way." She spends her entire life being raised as a machine meant only to kill but suddenly, oh no, destroying THIS PARTICULAR planet is just too much for her sensibilities. It's just difficult for me to buy that without seeing any effort put in to her sudden change, and since it all takes place off screen we don't really get any insight into it. Yes, her whole planet and family was murdered by Thanos so she doesn't want to see it happen again, but we're also suppose to believe that she has spent decades doing Thanos's bidding which has lead to the death of most of the Kyln inmate's family. That's a pretty large body count to get to before suddenly seeing that you were in the wrong.

I just feel like there could have been a scene were, say, she has a more personal connection with a Xanderian child. Put a human (alien) face on what carnage is about to come down on these people, let us see that moment where Gamora thinks to herself that if she allows Xander to be destroyed, she is essentially condemning some child to her and Nebula's fate and let us see what that means. (Although preferably better written than laid out here.) Then when you have a Gamora who is more reluctant to be ruthless (which is what I suppose they were going for in the Kyln scenes) it makes sense.

It's kind of like Black Widow in IM2, where you know there is an awesome character there and they are simply not being utilized to their full advantage. I mean, I do think Gamora showed more personality than Widow in her premiere, but I also think she could be improved. I feel like - other than Groot - her motivation was the weakest, but Groot sort of fills the role of "team pet" so you don't expect the same depth. It works with Groot, but not with Gamora.

19. Majik1387 Registered

While I agree her character wasn't written as well as the others, I didn't see the "but suddenly, oh no, destroying THIS PARTICULAR planet is just too much for her sensibilities."
    I saw it as she said at the Collector's; she can't trust anyone with a weapon like that, especially if it's for known tyrants. I never saw her being gung ho on it just because of Xander.

20. The Endless WE are Groot

I liked Gamora. It was interesting that she was the moral center and straight "man" for the team. Saldana did well. I really got the sense that she was ashamed of her past and her reputation.

She's definitely not the flashiest of the Guardians, so it's understandable that she gets overlooked.

Although she did have some cool moments.

21. coluanprime Registered

Agreed, in my opinion Gamora was the unsung breakout character for me.

22. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

:huh: What is that thing you've circled?

23. Majik1387 Registered

My guess is it's a belt accessory that semi-looks like a fist giving the finger.