Guardians of the Galaxy The Deadliest Woman in the Galaxy: The Gamora Thread

I'm really not fond of Rosario Dawson as Gamora. People keep pointing out her role in Sin City, but I thought the character and her performance was silly, stylized and ridiculous. Nothing about it was "Gamora" to me.

Eh to each his own. I wouldnt look at Sin CIty at all personally. Hugely overrated movie. But she's a good actress who can pull off the crazy costuming.

Yeah Sin City is camp start to finish. Not really fair to judge an actor based on their performance in it imo

Yeah Sin City is camp start to finish. Not really fair to judge an actor based on their performance in it imo

So on what basis is Rosario Dawson the right choice for Gamora? Cause it usually comes down to "She carried a sword around and had an attitude in Sin City." Same thing with Lynn Collins. Apparently, having held a sword makes you a perfect choice for Gamora.:wow:

She's tall, statuesque, and has given a variety of memorable performances

Yeah, what Chewy said. Rosario Dawson has not only proved herself an excellent actress but a swell human being too. There's no reason to loose your rag because you think people are just casting Gail from Sin City.

I'ld love to see Rosario in a film like this. Not only is she tough but she's funny too which is perfect for a movie like this. It also broke my heart a little when she said she thought she would never be a star because at 35 she's too old to become one.

Yeah, what Chewy said. Rosario Dawson has not only proved herself an excellent actress but a swell human being too. There's no reason to loose your rag because you think people are just casting Gail from Sin City.

I'ld love to see Rosario in a film like this. Not only is she tough but she's funny too which is perfect for a movie like this. It also broke my heart a little when she said she thought she would never be a star because at 35 she's too old to become one.

She's probably too old to be Gamora, at any rate.

Though I'm not shedding any tears for her.

My choice of Dawson has nothing to do with Sin City. I think shes a very good actress, charming witty in "person", with the right physicality. Her age isnt an issue. Shes a young looking 33 (as opposed to a very old looking 34 a la Lynn Collins). I dont seen Gamora as a young woman anyway. Definitely has some mileage.

Casting based on past experience with a sword or leather skirts is just dumb. The Wonder Woman board suffers from this idea. Acting ability and screen presence are absolutely crucial to pull off these movies. Casting someone because they were on some syndicated fantasy show or because they look just like the generic comic book version of the character or because they played a similar character in a previous movie makes no sense. You get the very best talent available, you thoroughly test screen, and you go from there.

Typecasting always plays some part, but its not nearly as important as acting chops. Nor is physical appearance. That said, I think Rosario has both. Im sure there are other good options, but shes at the top of my current list.

Last edited:
My choice of Dawson has nothing to do with Sin City. I think shes a very good actress, charming witty in "person", with the right physicality. Her age isnt an issue. Shes a young looking 33 (as opposed to a very old looking 34 a la Lynn Collins). I dont seen Gamora as a young woman anyway. Definitely has some mileage.

Casting based on past experience with a sword or leather skirts is just dumb. The Wonder Woman board suffers from this idea. Acting ability and screen presence are absolutely crucial to pull off these movies. Casting someone because they were on some syndicated fantasy show or because they look just like the generic comic book version of the character or because they played a similar character in a previous movie makes no sense. You get the very best talent available, you thoroughly test screen, and you go from there.

Typecasting always plays some part, but its not nearly as important as acting chops. Nor is physical appearance. That said, I think Rosario has both. Im sure there are other good options, but shes at the top of my current list.

In Avengers Annual 7, she is referred to as Thanos's "Young assistant." The implication is that she's probably in her late teens-early 20s. She's probably late 20s in the comics now, but she's not mid or late 30s.

That said, my worry isn't Rosario now. It's Rosario 8 years from now, in GoTG 3 (if such a thing happens.)

Im hoping the MCU version is mid thirties (or the alien equivalent). If she's 41 by the end of a trilogy, thats fine as long as she's in reasonable shape. But Im only concerned about the current movie.

Im hoping the MCU version is mid thirties (or the alien equivalent). If she's 41 by the end of a trilogy, thats fine as long as she's in reasonable shape. But Im only concerned about the current movie.

I'd rather see a young Gamora so we could see her grow from an assassin for the most despicable being in the universe, into a hero over the course of the films vs. Having her already an experienced good guy, who's past we learn about through wooden expository dialog and the occasional flashback.

Show, don't tell; It results in a more compelling cinematic experience.

A 30 year old can't decide to stop assassinating and do good stuff? What's the age cut-off for major life decisions?

A 35 year old can't decide to stop assassinating and do good stuff? What's the age cut-off for major life decisions?

Well, we don't want this to be her mid-life crisis...The cosmic equivalent of buying that really gaudy sports car she always wanted...

Last edited:
age isnt an issue. a young gamora or an older gamora could both work. flashbacks or "wooden" dialogue arent necessary either way. good or even mediocre writers will have no problems. more than one or two ways to skin a cat. if the script is good, thats all that matters.

the quality of the movie wont hinge on these kinds of details. all i care about is the quality of the final product. frankly im still shocked/elated that they're actually making this crazy movie. i say the more artistic license is taken, the better. given that 99% of the target audience (everybody) has never heard of GotG, they shouldnt feel overly constrained by the source material.

At the risk of sounding like a racist, ... -_- maybe i should stop right there.

lol jk, what if Mantis is included as a background character? do you think Gamora, Drax and Mantis will all have a green hue to their skin?

I assume Mantis will just have a standard Vietnamese skin tone. While Gamora will be the full-on alien. But subtle like in the concept art.

It's kind of the same issue as the X-Men mostly looking human, except for Mystique, Nightcrawler, Beast, Archangel, Apocalypse, etc all being... blue

The best way to handle it, imo, is to use different shades and textures. Maybe a slightly bluish-green for Gamora, a darker green for Drax, and a paler green for Mantis

Pretty sure some will disagree, but I think Brooklyn Decker will be a good choice.

It's kind of the same issue as the X-Men mostly looking human, except for Mystique, Nightcrawler, Beast, Archangel, Apocalypse, etc all being... blue

The best way to handle it, imo, is to use different shades and textures. Maybe a slightly bluish-green for Gamora, a darker green for Drax, and a paler green for Mantis

I would rather Mantis is not green but just olive skinned. I prefer that look where she has the yellow and green grass skirt and impossible bra costume but normal human skin. That will distinguish her from Gamora as well, otherwise there are just too many green-skinned people when it isn't necessary for Mantis to be that, and will make Gamora less unique.

I prefer Gamora to be younger than older. I don't like Rosario Dawson for the role. Not that keen on Lynn Collins either. I think with Gamora, any of these women we've fan-casted for the role of WW could potentially work - at least those who are younger but might not be completely perfect for Diana.

I hope she looks as good in green skin make up as any of these recent Orion Slave Girls from Star Trek. Not so sure though that Rachel Nichols looked quite as good in the green make up as some of the girls used on Enterprise, maybe because they looked more statueque and their hair (wigs) was possibly darker.

I would rather Mantis is not green but just olive skinned. I prefer that look where she has the yellow and green grass skirt and impossible bra costume but normal human skin. That will distinguish her from Gamora as well, otherwise there are just too many green-skinned people when it isn't necessary for Mantis to be that, and will make Gamora less unique.

I prefer Gamora to be younger than older. I don't like Rosario Dawson for the role. Not that keen on Lynn Collins either. I think with Gamora, any of these women we've fan-casted for the role of WW could potentially work - at least those who are younger but might not be completely perfect for Diana.

I hope she looks as good in green skin make up as any of these recent Orion Slave Girls from Star Trek. Not so sure though that Rachel Nichols looked quite as good in the green make up as some of the girls used on Enterprise, maybe because they looked more statueque and their hair (wigs) was possibly darker.

A big problem for comic book movie casting is people intuitively try to cast the character where they are now. In the comics now? Gamora does have some experience etc.

What you have to cast is first appearance Gamora, who was written as barely an adult. I'm not saying cast a 21 year old as Gamora, I'm just saying you can't cast a 40 year old. I'd cast Gamora in the same age range that Captain America and Thor were cast, 25-30.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd throw this out there, what about Jamie Chung as Gamora?

Jamie+Chung+%25281%2529.png

7557_jamie-chung-boxing-maxim-outtakes-02-675x900.jpg

idk, but that girl in your avy has the prettiest eyes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"