The Demon Bear Saga

Discussion in 'The New Mutants' started by Drexelhand, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Drexelhand Registered

So given how big a fan Boone is of the X-Men, and the New Mutants specifically, how do you expect the Demon Bear saga to be treated? Given that Boone has said straight up that The New Mutants is a horror movie with no costumes, I have a feeling the arc will be like Logan. Faithful tonally and viscerally, but plot wise? Not really.

How do you guys see the Demon Bear Saga going? Do you expect it to be a normal scary escape-the-facility type treatment, or something more along the lines of survive like in Alien? If I were to take a guess, I would think that the movie would start off like a normal X-Men movie with the kids learning their powers before Demon Bear is unleashed on them. So two halves, one a teen movie and one a horror movie.

2. GuestStar2004 Registered

Some of that can be answered by the synopsis.

3. Mike Murdock Registered

I think the Demon Bear part with Dani's backstory will be accurate, but that the backstory of the New Mutants and how they exist together will be substantially changed.

4. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Basically a Nightmare on Elm 3: Street Dream Warriors is what I'm expecting.

Instead of mentally ill teens in a facility plagued by Freddy Kruger we have teenage Mutants in a facility plagued by Demon Bear.

5. Weather Witch Registered

I would be perfectly fine with that. I love what we've heard about the movie so far. :)

6. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

So is this gonna be like It but the kids have superpowers lol.

7. GuestStar2004 Registered

Now you mention it Nightmare on Elm 3: Street Dream Warriors sounds about right.

8. MoPlaYa Crazy Guy

Looks like you called it right!

9. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

10. Pennywise Registered

So is Demon Bear the film’s primary antagonist?

Nah, I wouldn't even go so far to say that. I'd just say it's very much inspired by that run on the comics.

I wouldn't want to give away too much. Although I will say there's stuff you'll never see in the trailers that are big parts of the movie.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2017/10/...-why-hes-making-an-x-men-horror-film-and-more

At first, I thought that meant Demon Bear wasn't in the film, but then I thought maybe he is but as a behind the scenes adversary/secondary antagonist. Could be wrong, but then again, he was in that animatic.

11. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

I think Dani's power are going to be a main antagonist as well as The Demon Bear judging from those comments.

12. Mike Murdock Registered

My theory is Demon Bear is going to be a thing haunting them, but you'll never be entirely sure if it's real or an illusion. But the idea is a haunted house, not an individual antagonist.

13. Lip Registered

I was thinking the same thing too. Not necessarily the main antogonist, but I think her powers will be a big thing here.

14. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

They will cause some problems that's for sure

15. imbruglia Registered

maybe they first will face their fear, and eventually danny's own fear demon bear appear, and those kids will stand together to fight demon bear in the end.

16. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

I hope Demon Bear is only used for 1 film. I want the next 2 sequels to feature another villain/s.

17. XStreme Skins Registered

Holy crap that's brilliant! Or Buffy The Vampire Slayer; Fri The 13th 7 when the lead girl had telekenisis and was able to use it to fight the movie's monster; in keeping with the theme of the heroes having powers to fight the big scary baddie.

Overall I get the impression the movie is going for adolescence and secondary school is terrifying like a horror movie.