The E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo) thread

Sony's was the best in terms of the games, which is what really matters, but the conference itself was way too long. People should learn from Nintendo's pre-recorded directs. They're short and to the point.

On the other hand, if everyone abandoned the live conferences we wouldn't have all the cringe compilations to enjoy.

so now that I've had a chance to watch through the shows and get caught up, I'd say that MS "won" for me. The vision and brand and ecosystem and future of Xbox spoke to me beyond just the games shown. And Ori 2 and Forza Horizon 4 both look stunning! As does the new Halo.

the other shows were just "meh" for me.

I guess I'm really an Xbox fanboy stuck with the Playstation.......lol.

What would be everyone's Game of the Show? For me, it would be Spider-Man for the third year in a row. Cant wait for this

Has anybody else gotten a key for that Geforce Now beta? I'm using it now on my old ass laptop playing Heroes of the Storm and by God, it's responsive and smooth. For now.

What would be everyone's Game of the Show? For me, it would be Spider-Man for the third year in a row. Cant wait for this
The Last of Us Part 2 for me. The best looking game at the show by far imo.

Cyberpunk easily. I can't wait to experience all that goodness, if it lives up or surpasses the quality of The Witcher 2 and The Witcher 3.

A tie between Devil May Cry 5 and Cyberpunk 2077.

in terms of big games, I'd say Anthem would be Game of Show for me. it's the one I'm most intrigued by, mainly because of the premise and the thought of being able to fly around in that suit in an open world setting. I guess it would be the closest to flying around like Superman ( or more like Iron Man.....lol ) in the absence of a proper Superman game.

Spider-Man is cool and all, but the more I watch of it, the more it feels kind of the same as the prior Beenox Spidey games ( TASM and TASM 2 ) plus the similarities to the Arkham games.

in terms of smaller titles, Ori 2 is one I'm really looking forward to, if nothing else for the visuals alone.

Resident Evil 2 Remake is also highly anticipated.

RE2R comes close second for me. I wanted a remake for soooo long.

TLOUPII and Death Stranding look really inspiring and beautiful. But I'm not sure about the story and gameplay in their case, need to see more. Tsushima and DMC5 look rather basic gameplay-wise, but of high quality. In the end, all 5 games look stellar and I want to play them all.

Fallout 76 would also have been a contender. until they revealed it was indeed Fallout Online...…… :(

Starfield or Elder Scrolls VI would also have been contenders, if they weren't mere next-gen teasers. :(

Cyberpunk also lost some of its shine when I heard it's a FP game. :(

Square Enix Avengers could also have been the it game. but it was a no show!! :(

And, of course, a Rocksteady Superman game would have been the be all end all for me. but NO!!! :(

Bayo 3 and Metroid Prime 4 would have been nice.

I guess I will settle for male Bayonetta...

Though the new 8bitdo controllers may be my personal winner of the show.

Nothing absolutely nailed it for me. I'm a huge Gears fan so I won't include that.

TES6 would have likely been in with a chance if we'd seen anything of note and Spidey might have been the one if this was the first reveal.

Can't believe we didn't get anything on the Avengers game.

There was plenty of good stuff on show but not much that gave me that wow factor.

Nothing absolutely nailed it for me. I'm a huge Gears fan so I won't include that.

TES6 would have likely been in with a chance if we'd seen anything of note and Spidey might have been the one if this was the first reveal.

Can't believe we didn't get anything on the Avengers game.

There was plenty of good stuff on show but not much that gave me that wow factor.

yeah. I agree. this year lacked that "wow" moment for me.

of course, I think that's partly due to a lot of the stuff leaking in the weeks prior, or else being stuff heavily expected/rumored.

just imagine if DMC 5 or RE2 Remake were shown totally out of the blue, with no prior leaks or expectation. I think the wow/hype factor would have been higher.

btw.....what did you think of the Xbox show? did it make you excited for the future lineup of Xbox?

for me, I think it further solidified that my heart and interests lie with the Xbox brand, moreso than with Sony ( or Nintendo ).

yeah. I agree. this year lacked that "wow" moment for me.

of course, I think that's partly due to a lot of the stuff leaking in the weeks prior, or else being stuff heavily expected/rumored.

just imagine if DMC 5 or RE2 Remake were shown totally out of the blue, with no prior leaks or expectation. I think the wow/hype factor would have been higher.

btw.....what did you think of the Xbox show? did it make you excited for the future lineup of Xbox?

for me, I think it further solidified that my heart and interests lie with the Xbox brand, moreso than with Sony ( or Nintendo ).

It made me very interested in the future as long as they continue this same strategy long term. Phil Spencer is the perfect guy to be running the ship and things are getting better every year under him. It will still take a long time to see all the dividends from this though.

Also I love playing remakes of top games but the thought of them doesn’t wow me any more unless they are going to go in there and revamp it so much that it compares with top modern AAA favourite games of mine.

It made me very interested in the future as long as they continue this same strategy long term. Phil Spencer is the perfect guy to be running the ship and things are getting better every year under him. It will still take a long time to see all the dividends from this though.

Also I love playing remakes of top games but the thought of them doesn’t wow me any more unless they are going to go in there and revamp it so much that it compares with top modern AAA favourite games of mine.

yeah. Spencer should have been at the helm of Xbox at the beginning. things might have turned out very differently had he been so.

then again, adversity and challenge and having your backs against the wall forces you to adapt and change and improve. which is certainly what happened with Spencer when he took over at Xbox. So maybe MS and Xbox needed that "wake up call."

My only worry is that they will adopt a "streaming oriented" philosophy in the future. And with the next Xbox being heavily rumored for 2020, that does give me some pause in getting the X now.

yeah. Spencer should have been at the helm of Xbox at the beginning. things might have turned out very differently had he been so.

then again, adversity and challenge and having your backs against the wall forces you to adapt and change and improve. which is certainly what happened with Spencer when he took over at Xbox. So maybe MS and Xbox needed that "wake up call."

My only worry is that they will adopt a "streaming oriented" philosophy in the future. And with the next Xbox being heavily rumored for 2020, that does give me some pause in getting the X now.

Spencer and Mattrick are polar opposites. It wasn't a simple job to tank Xbox so fast from a position of real strength but Mattrick is not your average disaster merchant! Spencer's recovery job is a hell of a long one now as a result but he has been making all the right steps since day 1.

I think an advantage that Spencer has over previous execs (my opinion only) is that he won't get arrogant and start enacting dumb policies when(if) Xbox gets back to the top, a strange unexplainable affliction that seems to have affected the teams who took Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft to the top in the past.

And Spencer said the reason he revealed the existence of future consoles at this conference even when there was nothing to say about them aside from that they're being worked on, was to assure those who were worried that Xbox was moving to a streaming-only future that they were still very much also committed to future physical consoles.

The future setup is designed so that people can jump in any time and not be disadvantaged. With every console being BC and forward-compatible you don't lose anything when a new updated console launches as you can still play all new games on your old one for at least the life of that first new console. And on the flipside, when you do move you take all your digital games with you and can instantly play a huge library of disc games from the old system. There will also likely be multiple SKUs (always one targeting the hardcore) launching right at the start so there would be plenty of options.

Devil May Cry 5. I was not expecting that. Maybe my brain refused to remember any rumors prior to the event. RE2R is a close second. I thought they had scrapped the project.

The most frustrating was Death Stranding. It looks incredible, but I still don't know what I'm going to do in this incredible looking world and that is starting to frustrate me more than exciting me.

The most impressive was Ghost of Tsushima. So beautiful and I'm eager to learn more, but DMC5 is still the game I'm thinking about the most.

Spencer and Mattrick are polar opposites. It wasn't a simple job to tank Xbox so fast from a position of real strength but Mattrick is not your average disaster merchant! Spencer's recovery job is a hell of a long one now as a result but he has been making all the right steps since day 1.

I think an advantage that Spencer has over previous execs (my opinion only) is that he won't get arrogant and start enacting dumb policies when(if) Xbox gets back to the top, a strange unexplainable affliction that seems to have affected the teams who took Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft to the top in the past.

And Spencer said the reason he revealed the existence of future consoles at this conference even when there was nothing to say about them aside from that they're being worked on, was to assure those who were worried that Xbox was moving to a streaming-only future that they were still very much also committed to future physical consoles.

The future setup is designed so that people can jump in any time and not be disadvantaged. With every console being BC and forward-compatible you don't lose anything when a new updated console launches as you can still play all new games on your old one for at least the life of that first new console. And on the flipside, when you do move you take all your digital games with you and can instantly play a huge library of disc games from the old system. There will also likely be multiple SKUs (always one targeting the hardcore) launching right at the start so there would be plenty of options.

yeah. that's one thing I like about MS/Xbox current approach. at least with them, I have a more reasonable expectation that the current X1 games ( and BC 360 and OG games ) will work on the next console.

and that's part of the "brand/vision/ecosystem" about Xbox that appeals to me. for some reason, I just don't get that from Sony and PlayStation. or at least not at the same level. It's hard to explain, but it's just a feeling I have. y'know?

I'm hoping the PS5 will adopt a similar approach to BC with at least PS4 games.

I'm also hoping the next Xbox and PS5 will serve as multi-function, multi-media machines, without sacrificing the core gaming focus.

that's one of the biggest disappointments this gen. Both the X1 and PS4 felt like they took steps backwards when it came to serving as multi-media machines. The PS3 was an awesome multi-media, multi-function machine ( better than the 360, imo ). But then the PS4 felt so sparse and lacking in that area, especially at launch. Couldn't play USB media files. Couldn't play cds. Couldn't change the background to custom image. etc.

And with the X1. at launch they focused too heavily on the multi-media stuff ( Kinect and tv integration, yay! ), but sacrificed the core gaming experience by releasing an underpowered machine with the OG X1. They finally fixed that performance gap with the X. but it's too late in the cycle. Something on par with the X should have been released at the beginning of the X1 cycle.

so hopefully both MS and Sony learn from their mistakes and missteps this gen as we look forward to next gen.

which is hard to believe we are already talking about next gen, cuz it just seems like yesterday when the PS4 and X1 came out. :(

Last edited:
and speaking of companies getting arrogant, that's one thing that's been bugging me about Sony over the last few years. it does feel like they've become complacent and more arrogant since they've had such a huge sales lead.

their refusal to allow cross play with other platforms even though the other 2 are open to it.

and now this stuff with Fortnite? That actually made the business channel news the other day and hurt Sony's stock. I don't play Fortnite myself, but from what I heard about the situation, if true, it just seems like a di***** move on Sony's part to do that.

and sorry for the long posts, and I don't mean to derail this thread. it's just I haven't really posted much in a while, so I guess it feels like I've got stuff to get off of my chest......and I miss talking with you guys...….lol.

but next gen console talk is sort of related to E3 business, I guess...….

I don't know if Sony is being arrogant, as much as trying to press their advantage to hold onto their market share. Considering the quality of their games, I feel like they are delivering in way where I cant really be annoyed with them, even as the cross play stuff is utter crap.

Hopefully their arrogance doesn't lead them into another PS3 or E3 2006 situation come next generation.

As much as I deeply love the 4 PS4 games we saw at E3, i'm still annoyed at that 20 intermission during their conference.

Xbox One launch was just such a mess, them tripping over themselves and every little thing in sight. 5 years later, where they are is actually pretty good. Game pass is really for me the best thing to happen in gaming for a while.

For me, I just really could care less about Resident Evil and Ghosts of Tsushima really turned me off with their showing.

From Microsoft and Sony’s conferences I really only got like two console exclusives from each that I really care to play. And Cyberpunk really is the game I’m most hyped about or care to play even. So it wasn’t really like Sony blew me away this year or anything. Just the Last of Us 2 did.

I suppose the time for a new generation of consoles is drawing closer and they might have another go at it.

It might have saved them in the end. If you look at how much data security blew up in Zuckerbergs face this year, I’m sure Microsoft was dangerously close to that too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"