The Elseworlds you wanna see.

How about this for an Elseworlds...

Shortly before Krypton is going to be destroyed, Zod kidnaps Lara and Kal-El and forces Jor-El to build him a spacecraft to take him to Earth along with the Eradicator device (in order to help him build a new Krypton on Earth). Jor-el obliges, but Zod kills Kal-El and Lara anyway, and then goes to kill Jor-El. The two battle, with the end result being Jor-El sending Zod to the Phantom Zone, but is mortally wounded and dies, and the Eradicator is accidentally sent off on its own to Earth.
Once it crash lands on Earth, the Eradicator lies dormant for 20 years or so before it is discovered by a team of archaeolgists. It eventually begins effect the mind and body of the one of the team and attempts to turn the world into a new Krypton. Eventually though, the Eradicator's exposure to humanity allows it to experience emotions and it realizes that what is attempting to do is wrong. So the Eradicator and its host become a hero... right about the time Zod breaks out of the Phantom Zone and comes to Earth.

UK_Stu said:
Actually True Brit isn't a bad read, but you need to to be British to really appreciate(understand) a lot of the humour. And you really need to forget everything you already know about Superman and read it like that

and u actually have to give a damn about the British..

:p

That-Guy said:
I'd like to see an Elseworlds that doesn't really follow any kind of concept, other than just being a really, really whacked out story, like if Mulholland Drive had been a comic book. Something like this:

JLA:WTF

Kal-El's ship crash lands in New Jersey in a car graveyard. The people who own the junkyard raise Kal-El (now named Kent Clarkson), and he becomes a huge car buff and eventually an automechanic. When he eventually gains superpowers, he finds that super-strength is very beneficial because he no longer needs to use a jack to work underneath a car. However, Kent doesn't like flying; he prefers to drive around in his Shelby Cobra Mustang.
Meanwhile, Bruce Wayne (whose parents were never murdered) decides to take up acting, so he bribes a bunch of Hollywood producers Paris Hilton-style to get him cast in some high-profile films. Unfortunately, Bruce is a terrible actor and becomes the laughing stock of the nation, topping #1 on the E! Channel's "Celebrity OOPS!" list for the year. Depressed, Bruce decides to give superheroism a go, but since he has no training, he quickly gets his spine broken and spends the rest of his life confined to a wheelchair. However, this does not stop Bruce in his quest. He pays world renowned scientist and inventor Lex Luthor to build him a pair of robotic legs that will allow him to fight crime again. Lex does so, and soon Bruce returns to a life of vigilanteism, hunting down criminals with the help of his superpowered, armored robot legs. He calls himself "The Asskicker."
Diana, meanwhile, has left Paradise Island to become a stripper in L.A. She eventually becomes addicted to coke, thanks to one of her regular customers, drug dealer Max Lord. Evntually Diana realizes that her life has become a giant mess, so she snaps Max's neck and checks into rehab. There she meats a bunch of other super-powered junkies, including J'onn Jonnz, Barry Allen, and Arthur Curry. Once they are all detoxed, they decide to band together and form a superhero team. Everything is going great until they raid a Columbian drug farm and decide that drug dealing is more profitable (and more fun) than superheroism, so they take over the cocaine farm and spend the rest of their lives wealthy and coked up.

Worst, episode, EVER!

I'd like to see a old world shattering adventure starring that Bronze Age League that was in Kelly's Obsidian Age. Really would like to see those characters again.

That would kick ass, actually. That team was really interesting, and I would particularly like to see Whaler and Tezumek's characters fleshed out.

I want to see a sequel to The Kingdom. I wanna know what kind of powers a son of Kal-El and Diana would have.

Everything Superman has plus a possible natural resistance to magic.

Didn't the Kingdom reveal that the son of Diana and Clark from that eventually
went back in time and became the Phantom Stranger
?

Wow, the Kingdom must have really sucked. The Phatom Stranger is a fallen angel. Or rather an angle kicked out of both heaven and hell.

The Question said:
Didn't the Kingdom reveal that the son of Diana and Clark from that eventually
went back in time and became the Phantom Stranger
?

You're right he did show up in the end. But I don't remember him being the
Phantom Stranger
. He had powers to traverse all of Hypertime or something. Now I have to go back and reread it.

No, their son isn't the Phantom Stranger. He just looks like him to some degree. But if I remember right, Diana even says "For a minute there, I thought you were the Phantom Stranger, but I was wrong" or something to that effect.

But yes, The Kingdom did suck. It sucked long and it sucked hard. It was to Kingdom Come what The Dark Knight Strikes Again is to The Dark Knight Returns, only worse.

Well I didn't think it sucked. It didn't have that epic feel that Kingdom COme had but it had it's moments. Every panel with GOG in it rocked. He owned everyone. Including the Flash who at his level was so fast that he existed in another dimension.

The Leaguer said:
That would kick ass, actually. That team was really interesting, and I would particularly like to see Whaler and Tezumek's characters fleshed out.

I agree those were very interesting characters.

"Wow, the Kingdom must have really sucked. The Phatom Stranger is a fallen angel. Or rather an angle kicked out of both heaven and hell."

Or he could be the Wandering Jew, or a survivor of a previous multiverse. :D

Thank God for wikipedia! I'd never be able to keep up on this stuff otherwise.

With comics, as with life, you stick with the line of bulls**t you perfur and let that be your truth.

My favorite Phantom Stranger origin was the one where he was a father who lived in Biblical times and watched his family and friends succumb to greed and evil. He eventually kills himself and it pisses off an angel who sort of curses him to walk the earth alone, with no past memory of his life and no one from his past life remembers him. He meets his family later on and they don't even remember who he is, nor does he remember them. It was in a book that had 4 possible origins for PS. The fallen angel and Wandering Jew one were in there, along with a really stupid one where he's some guy in the future who looks like Clark Kent and he's watching the end of time through a monitor and transports himself back to the beginning or something.

Yeah speeding bullets was one of the greatest elseworlds ever.

i'd like to see an elseworlds where after bane broke batman nightwing takes over and eventually is driven over the edge and azrael has to reign him in. Only he can't finish the job cause dick rocks so he cripples azrael. then bruce comes back and tries to stop him and every bad feeling that ever happened comes up dick kills bruce. Only to have it revealed that alfred was the one masterminding the whole thing because he felt cheated adn under appreciated. Dick adn him die in a final conflict. Tim drake takes over as batman with azrael training from his wheelchair and tim wearing an amalgam costume of batman beyond and robin kind of.

UK_Stu said:
Actually True Brit isn't a bad read, but you need to to be British to really appreciate(understand) a lot of the humour. And you really need to forget everything you already know about Superman and read it like that

I do disagree with that i am english as you can get and that comic was about as crap as any comic can ever get...i absolutely hate HATE the stupid stereotype of tea and bleedin crumpets,cricket and all that crap...superman if he landed here should have been dealt with the same way it was if he landed in russia as in red son.
I can honestly say as an englishman and a massive superman fan that true brit was the worst thing ive ever read and should be avoided by all like the plague.

needless to say i didn't like it at all...i actually took it back and got my money back i hated it that much..

i would like to see maybe a superman:the end...if handled properly...maybe his ending be actually not to die but to live on as a god forever more,that could be a great read.

Union Jack said:
I do disagree with that i am english as you can get and that comic was about as crap as any comic can ever get...i absolutely hate HATE the stupid stereotype of tea and bleedin crumpets,cricket and all that crap...superman if he landed here should have been dealt with the same way it was if he landed in russia as in red son.
I can honestly say as an englishman and a massive superman fan that true brit was the worst thing ive ever read and should be avoided by all like the plague.

It was a parody. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously. They were making fun of British steriotypes. I mean, it was written by John Cleese for God's sake. What'd you expect?

Lackey said:
i would like to see maybe a superman:the end...if handled properly...maybe his ending be actually not to die but to live on as a god forever more,that could be a great read.

They basically did that in JLA: One Million.

Here's one I posted about a year ago on DC's own boards. I don't think I ever bothered to post it anywhere else. Don't remember why not.

Sometime in 2004, someone on DC's old "Elseworlds" board said something that got me thinking about the following question:

"What if the Silver Age JLA had been almost entirely black instead of almost entirely white?"

(And remember: In the original version, the one guy who didn't look white in the SA JLA was a green-skinned Martian instead.)

I started fooling around with the idea in my head . . .

If most of the SA heroes who were particularly powerful had been dark-skinned for one reason or another (in Superman's case, it would definitely NOT mean that he had tons of African ancestry in his family tree :)), it would have made an interesting situation if we arbitrarily assume that it was happening back in the 1960s, when the early issues of the JLA were actually published in our world and the civil rights movement and all that was suddenly hitting its stride.

Of course, if the heavy hitters of the Silver Age JLA had all (or almost all) looked African-American (even if one or two of them were from other planets and it was sheer coincidence), and if they had met while fighting alien invaders from Appelax, and had banded together so they could face future Big Threats as a team, then other Americans (white, black, prejudiced, unprejudiced) would have seen them as being an exclusive, "segregated" group that obviously only took black men and women.

If that wasn't what they had in mind, and if most of the best powers had gone to black people by pure chance as far as anyone knew at the time, then the JLAers might have quickly invited one or two costumed white people to join as the "tokens" representing racial diversity.

Batman and/or Black Canary, maybe. Batman, of course, doesn't have powers at all. The Canary, of course, had a screaming power but wasn't able to move superfast or move mountains with her hands, so she too might feel like a weaker outsider compared to all the others. (Superman, Flash, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, and Green Lantern in particular.) Accepting them would be meant to "prove" to their public that high-powered white superheroes of the current generation were not being excluded, there just didn't seem to be many to choose from! It was pure luck of the draw that black people had gotten all the breaks when it came to receiving Abin Sur's ring, and being struck by lightning and turned into the Flash, and being chosen as the representative of the Amazons, and being able to breathe underwater, and so forth!

One interesting conflict of agendas might come if the black members of the JLA had offered membership to a dark-skinned Superman while assuming he was an African-American who would be eager to put himself up as an example for young black people everywhere in how to succeed in a white man's world, and then were rather embarrassed when he revealed in a TV interview, the first time he was asked, that he wasn't from Earth at all and felt no greater (and no lesser) solidarity with people of African descent than he did with people of any other shade, since he was just a nonhuman immigrant!

Meanwhile, one of the African-American members of the League could have a well-publicized romance with some Caucasian person of the opposite sex, maybe a superhero, maybe a civilian celebrity, which would cause the Ku Klux Klan to go absolutely crazy and try to kill both of them in the name of racial purity . . . (the KKK wouldn't succeed in that, though. I like happy endings.)

To be absolutely fair, we could have more of the 1960s villains be dark-skinned as well, instead of the situation that actually applied in the comics of that era, where it seemed virtually everyone with superpowers was either a Caucasian from Earth, or an alien who might look Caucasian or might have some very unusual color of skin instead (green, blue, etc.)

On the Interracial Romance thing and the explosive reaction to it when one of the couple was a high-profile superhero, I'm remembering the way Captain Kirk was scheduled to kiss Lieutenant Uhura in the script of a Star Trek episode in the 60s, but the version that was finally aired only showed him bending over her or something, without actually showing the kiss as such. Apparently, the network was terrified that millions of white Southerners of that era would start foaming at the mouth if Star Trek actually broadcast the first explicit on-screen interracial kiss in American TV programming history. (I read something about this in William Shatner's book "Star Trek Memories." He was perfectly willing to take the risk of being the first white man in an American TV show to brazenly kiss a black woman, and he did in fact get to kiss Nichelle Nichols when they filmed the scene - but that particular bit was clipped out so that the audience was only able to guess from context that he had kissed her without actually seeing the lips make contact. He regretted that.)

Lorendiac said:
Here's one I posted about a year ago on DC's own boards. I don't think I ever bothered to post it anywhere else. Don't remember why not.

Sometime in 2004, someone on DC's old "Elseworlds" board said something that got me thinking about the following question:

"What if the Silver Age JLA had been almost entirely black instead of almost entirely white?"

(And remember: In the original version, the one guy who didn't look white in the SA JLA was a green-skinned Martian instead.)

I started fooling around with the idea in my head . . .

If most of the SA heroes who were particularly powerful had been dark-skinned for one reason or another (in Superman's case, it would definitely NOT mean that he had tons of African ancestry in his family tree :)), it would have made an interesting situation if we arbitrarily assume that it was happening back in the 1960s, when the early issues of the JLA were actually published in our world and the civil rights movement and all that was suddenly hitting its stride.

Of course, if the heavy hitters of the Silver Age JLA had all (or almost all) looked African-American (even if one or two of them were from other planets and it was sheer coincidence), and if they had met while fighting alien invaders from Appelax, and had banded together so they could face future Big Threats as a team, then other Americans (white, black, prejudiced, unprejudiced) would have seen them as being an exclusive, "segregated" group that obviously only took black men and women.

If that wasn't what they had in mind, and if most of the best powers had gone to black people by pure chance as far as anyone knew at the time, then the JLAers might have quickly invited one or two costumed white people to join as the "tokens" representing racial diversity.

Batman and/or Black Canary, maybe. Batman, of course, doesn't have powers at all. The Canary, of course, had a screaming power but wasn't able to move superfast or move mountains with her hands, so she too might feel like a weaker outsider compared to all the others. (Superman, Flash, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, and Green Lantern in particular.) Accepting them would be meant to "prove" to their public that high-powered white superheroes of the current generation were not being excluded, there just didn't seem to be many to choose from! It was pure luck of the draw that black people had gotten all the breaks when it came to receiving Abin Sur's ring, and being struck by lightning and turned into the Flash, and being chosen as the representative of the Amazons, and being able to breathe underwater, and so forth!

One interesting conflict of agendas might come if the black members of the JLA had offered membership to a dark-skinned Superman while assuming he was an African-American who would be eager to put himself up as an example for young black people everywhere in how to succeed in a white man's world, and then were rather embarrassed when he revealed in a TV interview, the first time he was asked, that he wasn't from Earth at all and felt no greater (and no lesser) solidarity with people of African descent than he did with people of any other shade, since he was just a nonhuman immigrant!

Meanwhile, one of the African-American members of the League could have a well-publicized romance with some Caucasian person of the opposite sex, maybe a superhero, maybe a civilian celebrity, which would cause the Ku Klux Klan to go absolutely crazy and try to kill both of them in the name of racial purity . . . (the KKK wouldn't succeed in that, though. I like happy endings.)

To be absolutely fair, we could have more of the 1960s villains be dark-skinned as well, instead of the situation that actually applied in the comics of that era, where it seemed virtually everyone with superpowers was either a Caucasian from Earth, or an alien who might look Caucasian or might have some very unusual color of skin instead (green, blue, etc.)

On the Interracial Romance thing and the explosive reaction to it when one of the couple was a high-profile superhero, I'm remembering the way Captain Kirk was scheduled to kiss Lieutenant Uhura in the script of a Star Trek episode in the 60s, but the version that was finally aired only showed him bending over her or something, without actually showing the kiss as such. Apparently, the network was terrified that millions of white Southerners of that era would start foaming at the mouth if Star Trek actually broadcast the first explicit on-screen interracial kiss in American TV programming history. (I read something about this in William Shatner's book "Star Trek Memories." He was perfectly willing to take the risk of being the first white man in an American TV show to brazenly kiss a black woman, and he did in fact get to kiss Nichelle Nichols when they filmed the scene - but that particular bit was clipped out so that the audience was only able to guess from context that he had kissed her without actually seeing the lips make contact. He regretted that.)

i like that

id like to see an elseworld where batman has an afro. OR one where superman lands in beijing or tokyo and was raised by stereotypical asian families (do well in school or leave this home, etc.). Id also like to see an elseworld tale where flash is the slowest man in the world and is still a superhero somehow.

I think it'd be kind of interesting to see some of Superman's more epic battles played out on Bizarro-World.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"