The Emily Bett Rickards/ Felicity Smoak Thread

Discussion in 'Arrow' started by Dark Raven, May 8, 2013.

1. terry78

terry78 I'm gonna need more rope

The bendable knees.....I can't even.

2. batdude

batdude Well-Known Member

That wheelchair storyline was a mess. They could have shown her how to use it better, or even better, Used an actual disabled actor as Felicity's new friend.

3. Mask&Cape

Mask&Cape Well-Known Member

It would have been a good motivation for her stroll down the path of darkness with Helix.

I don't really buy into why she is doing that. Malone? They haven't shown her grieving for at all that recollect.

I would be tempted to say those involved lacked the bravery to carry the story on or were just too lazy for the logistics of it, but I honestly believe it was simply a lack of imagination - they couldn't see beyond the red herrings they were setting up for the big death that season.

Is Felicity still CEO of Palmer Tech? If not, does she have a job.

4. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Maybe they could make Felicity wheelchair bound again just so that her motivation matches up with her actions with Helix.

I feel that Helix is a rather dull plotline. I hope that is brought to an end this season and not continued into next season. Or maybe they could just spin off Felicity into her own Helix show where she can be in her little pocket of the Arrowverse by herself.

5. Jedi Arrow

Jedi Arrow Vigilant Knight

No, she was fired by the board last season. If she does have a job, it hasn't been stated as such this season (though presumably, she does if she still has her apartment). Maybe she went back to working in that electronics store from the beginning of S3. :oldrazz:

6. Mask&Cape

Both Arrow and The Flash need to show something of all of the characters lives outside of the heroics.

We need to see how being the secret life gets in the way of Barry or Curtis' day job or Diggle's time with his family.

Even Iris - most of her scenes has her in Star Labs. She doesn't even do anything and it might help her character if we see her being an actual journalist.

The producers really should have spent the early episodes of this season showing Oliver (and Felicity) trying to balance being mayor (and whatever) with the crimefighting and dealing Church on their own. Wild Dog, Ragman and Artemis would still have appeared but the team could have come together slowly.

7. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

The showrunners do seem to be bad at running any "ordinary life" subplot that doesn't revolve entirely around secret ID drama.

8. Mask&Cape

And yet, the show runner don't seem to able to manage the concept of secret identities - so many people know Oliver's, Barry's and Kara's secret that I don't understand why they bother with the masks. :oldrazz:

9. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Not concealing your secret from your closest friends is hardly a problem. The problem is that the writers think that every friend and associate's life ends the moment they find out. Nobody is allowed to know about the hero, and continue to do stuff unrelated to the hero.

10. Hunter Rider

Hunter Rider Ronin

[YT]rVpIi2GOpy4[/YT]

11. Dr Lee

Dr Lee Insert interesting quote here

She's got a great voice

12. Primal Slayer

Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

13. Syncos

Syncos ROFLICIOUS

There was a throwaway line when she was trapped in the bunker about Felicity having a rather large severance from Palmertech. Implying that she's been living off of that.

14. Jedi Arrow

Jedi Arrow Vigilant Knight

Ah. Makes sense? Perhaps some sort of severance from QC is what Oliver has been living on all this time? :oldrazz:

15. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Cloud kicks ass

That her actual singing voice? She damn good!

16. Hunter Rider

Hunter Rider Ronin

17. Ericzeb1982

Ericzeb1982 Well-Known Member

18. 30Airrazor

30Airrazor Active Member

My feeling about Emily:

I didn't know at the time when she first signed on, that Felicity was going to be only in 1-2 episodes at least.

Rickards is heading into her 6th season of Arrow. So to only play a role that should've lasted for 2 episodes at least, instead she ends up being the love interest to the leading man of Arrow, it just shows that Rickards genuinely earned it,

19. Dr Lee

Season 1 & 2 proves that she is a very funny actress.... but she (and the whole show, which is why I've stopped watching but still follow)) was given horrendously bad writing to use and that's harmed her in the opinions of the fans...

20. Razorback

Razorback Member

Ya, she did a nice job - the exceptional on-screen chemistry she had with the lead actor pretty much set her up for a ton of success, there.

Agreed on the writing. Starting around mid-season 4 for me, the writers have not been doing a good job with her character. Show has lost ~1M viewers since mid-season 4 and the end of season 5. Some writers need to get bounced and replaced, IMO.

21. Syncos

Syncos ROFLICIOUS

Yes, absolutely. Season 1 & 2 proved that she was very well suited to the role of sidekick. tech solutions, witty banter, etc.

As soon as she pulled focus as the love interest, and they started writing the episodes as though it was the Felicity show featuring Oliver, that's when things started to fall apart.

22. Dr Lee

I don't think it was that they pulled the trigger on the onscreen chemistry between EBR & Amell. 'Olicity' worked when there was humour, when things were fun... but TPTB decided that they had to smother it in angst.... and (the bit that ended my viewing) angst for angst sake... they changed the characters to fit the scene, rather than make the scene work for the characters.

Had they kept the humour, kept the fun-ness of the duo, then 90% of the hatred towards EBR, 'Olicity' & Felicity wouldn't have appeared.

23. Primal Slayer

I love EBR and for the most part like Felicity. I just hate that they made them so central to the show which made Laurel and to an extent obsolete especially in the case of "OTA"

24. Hunter Rider

Hunter Rider Ronin

I agree with Dr Lee, Oliver and Felicity were good together until the writers kept inserting annoying, needless melodramatic situations into their relationship, this is an issue with the CW shows in general, they did it to Barry and Iris and even with Alex and Maggie, they put them together and then almost every week they shoehorned some kind of issue into their relationship to force an argument and then a reconciliation, the writers on the CW shows seem to have no idea how to write a happy, mature relationship.

What is OTA?

25. Primal Slayer

Original Team Arrow. Oliver/Diggle/Felicity.

What they used to shut down Laurel back in Season 2 when she tried to join them.