The Enemies Of Wakanda - Villains of Black Panther thread

Nah, there's a couple of better villians out there. It would be like using slightly dated characters that rely on stereotypes like queen divine justice

Let's just all imagine how awesome Serikis will be as Klaw, for a second. Could be one of the MCU's best villains yet.

Get Jennifer Garner back as Elektra, Mark Ruffalo as Banner and Judy Greer from Ant-Man, and they can all do the Thriller dance together. :p

Get Jennifer Garner back as Elektra, Mark Ruffalo as Banner and Judy Greer from Ant-Man, and they can all do the Thriller dance together. :p

:huh: Is this referencing something, or have you been eating those special brownies again? :o

Let's just all imagine how awesome Serikis will be as Klaw, for a second. Could be one of the MCU's best villains yet.

Definitely. It's a great character for him since he has the look down, plus is then able to do the mo-cap fantastically as well

Last edited:
M'baku, with Klaw would be a good duo for the first film. With Serkis most likely Klaw you just know that they will have him transformed into his sound form at some point with Serkis doing the mocap. I think you could even build M'baku up for the cinematic universe and do the story so that while Klaw is defeated, M'baku is a threat Panther can't over come in his first film. Making the White Gorilla cult and M'baku tied into the internal politics of Wakanda could make them a struggle T'challa can't over come with his fists alone.

Wow. I've never read Black Panther and I'm not familiar with it at all but I'm sensing a LOT of racist underpinnings in it. A black guy named "Black Panther," animalistic villain names, other names very tribalistic African-sounding, a gorilla cult? Jeez...

I don't think using African iconography for an African nation is a bad thing. It would make perfect sense to me.

Look at the flags for Kenya and Swaziland, for example.

Yeah man these african countries with their african names and traditions, so racist.

Also he is called the Black Panther because it is the title for the chieftain of the Panther tribe, so called because they worship the Panther Goddess.

The Gorilla cult worships a Gorilla god. There is also a Lion cult. Worshipping animals is not overly ridiculous or racist for an ancient civilization after all Egyptians had many animal like gods.

Wow. I've never read Black Panther and I'm not familiar with it at all but I'm sensing a LOT of racist underpinnings in it. A black guy named "Black Panther," animalistic villain names, other names very tribalistic African-sounding, a gorilla cult? Jeez...

90% of Spider-Man's villains are animalistic, how racist right?

And are you actually complaining about names like T'Challa and M'Baku? Would you rather Brett and Darren?

Let's make Wakanda out to be like Sweden but with black people instead! Let's of course make no lingering reference that they are Africans and not dwell on symbolism that could identify them as Africans proud of their heritage, no let's make sure that Wakandans feel like us, they should have either have white shirts and blue jeans and a McDonald's and/or Starbucks at each corner.

If we differentiate them from "normal" people that's just completely racist.

If you don't know anything about the character and the context of any details maybe you should actually do some research, easier than ever these days, before making any pronouncements about the character. Now, can I totally dismiss that if you squint hard you could make out some aspect or aspects about the character that could well fall into racist caricature? I'm not gonna lie and say no. But let's lay out the character in broad strokes. First off, the Black Panther is a King, of a highly independent nation in Africa. Already we have a character that operates under his own terms. He's beholden to no man and is only an adjunct to another group of super heroes in Marvel Comics (the Fantastic Four) because that's where he made his debut, but even there the character's genesis in story doesn't depend on the FF. He's not some off shoot of Mr. Fantastic's experiment or some adventure the FF have. He could have appeared first in any comic and still have his own origin not tied to any other hero. He wasn't brought in as a side kick or supporting character that eventually becomes a super hero. He was his own super hero from the start. And what kind of super hero are we talking about? Well as already mentioned, he is a King, but that's not enough. In the grandest over the top super hero way he's got more going on. He's one of the smartest men on the planet, easily the equal of Reed Richards, Tony Stark and Victor Von Doom. However he's also a master of the fighting arts with super human reflexes, agility and strength that makes him the equal or superior to characters like Daredevil, Iron Fist or Captain America. And his nation, Wakanda, is a source of the in universe valuable resource Vibranium. This puts the Panther in a position of significance in the Marvel Universe. I ask you... What is racist about any of that? What a great hero to give to young people of any background, but especially for African-American ones. Here is a hero who can throw down with some of the best known villains and heroes of Marvel but as is often shown in his stories, his greatest aspect is his brilliant and cunning mind. Are there over the top elements that mark this as fantasy? Sure are. There are no "White Gorilla" cults ect. in real life, but this is the world of comics, and that's just how characters are named. Man-Bat, Red Wolf, Puma, Man-Ape and the like. And that's one character of prominence in the BP mythology. Is there anything inherently racist about the Name Moses Magnum? If you were to do some research I think you would understand why the character is important and has resonance til this day with comic book fans.

Yeah man these african countries with their african names and traditions, so racist.

Also he is called the Black Panther because it is the title for the chieftain of the Panther tribe, so called because they worship the Panther Goddess.

The Gorilla cult worships a Gorilla god. There is also a Lion cult. Worshipping animals is not overly ridiculous or racist for an ancient civilization after all Egyptians had many animal like gods.

:up:yep! totally! people will see what they want to regardless of the character name! the guy is named after a freaking big ash jungle cat not the dudes with the black berets and Huey P Netwon! and as for man ape! the dude is walking around with a White Gorilla pelt on that he skinned and killed!if anything one might be inclined to see something else in that! Man ape is bad ash and as a BlackVulcan person i never saw anything racist in him!! only that that mofo is crazy and hates the black panther like a bad toothache!:cwink:

:up:yep! totally! people will see what they want to regardless of the character name! the guy is named after a freaking big ash jungle cat not the dudes with the black berets and Huey P Netwon! and as for man ape! the dude is walking around with a White Gorilla pelt on that he skinned and killed!if anything one might be inclined to see something else in that! Man ape is bad ash and as a BlackVulcan person i never saw anything racist in him!! only that that mofo is crazy and hates the black panther like a bad toothache!:cwink:

:funny::applaud:pal:

Haha yea I noticed too. The writers were a little out of touch. I believe early Luke Cage suffered from the same treatment.

I'm calling it now, once people the black panther in cap 3 and once we also get a trailer for the black panther, those racist opinions will be out of the window

Mahershala Ali for Killmonger.

Mahershala-Ali-as-Boggs-in-Mockingjay.jpg

He would also be great as Bronze Tiger on WB's Suicide Squad.

Mahershala Ali for Killmonger.

Mahershala-Ali-as-Boggs-in-Mockingjay.jpg

He would also be great as Bronze Tiger on WB's Suicide Squad.

bad place to the yeah! I'd definitely be down. I loved him in Alphas.

For me, House Of Cards devolved into schlock (albeit very entertaining schlock) in its second season, but Mahershala Ali absolutely stole every scene he was in. And that's quite an achievement, considering so many of his scenes were opposite Kevin Spacey. Bring him on board in any capacity and I'm happy. As stated, Killmonger would be a really good fit.

I can see Marvel avoiding using the "Man Ape" part of M'Baku, at least a lot. They rarely call villains by their codenames anyway. Red Skull was called "Red Skull" once and the rest of the time was just referred to by his first name. Blonsky and Stane were never called their codenames aside from a "cute nod," Vanko wasn't called "Whiplash" at all. Loki, Malekith, and Ronan don't really have codenames, and of course we all know what they did with The Mandarin. So I could see Marvel just stick with calling him "M'Baku" in the movie.

I hope the villain(s) are not just one-shots and continue for Panther sequels and other films.
Who'd make a good Achebe since his original comics look is... rather odd..

If Neill Blomkamp gets the job, I'd imagine Sharlto Copley would be Killmonger

If Neill Blomkamp gets the job, I'd imagine Sharlto Copley would be T'Challa, T'Chaka, Killmonger, Klaw (re-cast), Storm (here only referred to as the "Big O" to circumvent the rights issue), Man Ape, Shuri and 14 other characters to be named later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"