World The failure known as Justice League Mortal discussion thread

TheWatcher

Dapper
Reaction score
Some interesting questions

-Why cast a 6'5 Batman with a 5'9 Batman?
-Jay Baruchel as anybody?

Does anybody have any pictures or descriptions of the suits?

I would love more info on this film, I know if you google it you can find a really long script review. I have to agree I don't get a 6'5 Batman way too big, if anyone should be 6'5 its Superman.

Armie Hammer gave an interview to about Justice League Mortal
You’ve really blown up in the last year but this could’ve happened even earlier. You were working on Justice League with George Miller. Did you get a taste of this back then if that movie had gone?
I hate to say it, but thankfully it didn't because I probably wouldn't have been ready for anything then. I didn't have the head on my shoulders that I feel I do now. Hopefully I'll say the same thing five years from now. Hopefully I'm always learning more and stuff like that, but had it happened then, like looking back and knowing what I knew then I wouldn't have been ready for it. I wouldn't have been able to handle it. It's a lot at twenty five years old to be playing the title character of a movie where the budget is humongous and it has to work. That's a lot of pressure to handle at twenty five, but at the same time you don't look a gift horse in the mouth. I'm really excited about it, like I get to do things that other twenty five years olds might not get to do. So, I'm having fun and am appreciative as much as possible.

Was the Justice League thing a good education for you as a young actor, having that big budget film not go?
Yeah, yeah. It was amazing as a young actor to even get to experience that kind of a budget. I think that they were talking about, I mean this could be hearsay, who knows, but I think the budget was close to $300 million. I don't know the specifics, but it was huge, huge to the point where I remember being down in Australia and they were just throwing money around. Just like, “Wherever the whole cast wants to go to dinner every night? Sure. Pay with this wad of cash.” It was extravagant and then to have it all fall apart was a really good reality check. It's like, “Hey, nothing in this business is real. Don't forget that.” It's like, “Oh, yeah, right, right.”

It was going to end with Batman breaking the villains neck on live television(news cameras). Similar to MOS I suppose. I'm glad this never happened.

It's hard to say what would have happened, the casting was obscenely weird and the script a messy mess.

But I don't see it as a "dodged bullet" necessarily. It had its share of good stuff in it... mainly the framework for the story. The OMAC Project and Tower of Babel are pretty smart choices of source material. It'd be easy to approach a JL film as formula: "Let's do this Independence Day with superheroes, alien invasion, heroes band together, big fight at the end, go!" This was instead taking the particular elements of the DC Universe - the characters' personalities, world views, etc - and creating conflict around it. No alien invasion needed. The spark of the story is Batman's paranoia, and him developing contingency plans against each member of the JL in case they should turn rogue. That's very Batman, and it inevitably pits him against the ideals of Superman and the rest of the JL. It makes it so that this is a story that can only be told with these DC characters, and it's a pretty intelligent approach to a JL movie. Also, (spoiler) Flash's death and goodbye to his wife are a total gem. That moment would have made the film.

Not to mention costumes made by Weta. Total fanboy ***** at the thought. Between 2006 and 2013 there was nothing worthwhile from DC in theaters, besides the TDK trilogy (which would have kept being made regardless). This would have been something. What's funny is it probably would have created a divide between Batman fans: realistic Nolan Batman vs. more fantastical JL Batman. But I stand by it: with some work and different casting, it could have been quite cool. Not ideal, but cool enough.

From when MM:FR got those insane reviews, I said we'd hear something more about JL:M based on the actual JL movie coming in a few years and the renewed interest in Miller. I'm glad to be right :D. This better happen because I need to see shots of the actors in costume.

Aquaman

CGQmJEFVAAAhNFH.jpg

Wonder Woman action scene

CGREoY_UIAItwRL.jpg

Gosh I can't help but wonder what we missed. I love Greek myth

Armie Hammer gave an interview to about Justice League Mortal
[/FONT][/COLOR]
Interesting that he talks about a 300 million dollar budget.
Who Knows?
Maybe Justice League Mortal would have found itself in the exact same position box office wise as JL does now.

Last edited:
Ive read the script. It's out there.

It's not very good. There's very little action until the last 1/4, Batman's character is pretty terrible (both in comparison to the comics/other interpretations and just in general), some of the dialogue is really cheesy, villains aren't great especially Talia. Also it just feels weird being plopped into what feels like a middle of the story. I mean it's still the story of how the JL forms; but they all know each other, except for Flash, and the team dynamics aren't very interesting or strong. On top of all of that, it's stupid to adapt Tower of Babel (not very well I might add) for the first JL outing. I've used this comparison before, it's like if the first Avengers or even first MCU film was based on Civil War

It's not a dumpster fire, but it's not that good either. I know after Fury Road came out a lot of people had revisionist history saying JLM would've been good. If it followed the script that leaked it wouldn't be up to snuff

Holy crap...I can't believe how bad the Superman suit looked. If the others were gonna be that bad...we dodged a bullet.

If the suit was going to have trunks anyway, might as well have made them red. The boots too.

I've posted this before but since this topic keeps coming up...

A friend was working at Fox Studios here in Sydney for JL:Mortal's archive department at the time. He was kind of left in limbo when it was put on hold, so spent a lot of time waiting and complaining about it on Facebook! I figured it was for JLM and managed to get that out of him. I coaxed some more info. out of him at the time, and only after JLM was shelved. Here is the bulk of the email conversation we had (his side) from back then:

We were told it was the intention of the producers to rehire everybody if the film ever came back to Sydney... but i think it was a pretty empty promise as the chances of that happening were pretty slim even then.

I think it's HIGHLY unlikely to be made with George Miller, that story, those actors etc. I think they're reassessing the whole project altogether.

I can tell you that there was definitely no Hall of Justice - it was an origin movie, they didn't really join officially as 'The Justice League' until the very end of the film.

There were a lot of scenes in the Batcave, Fortress of Solitude (including a replica of the Kent Family Homestead that Clark had built there), Wonder Woman's house, Aquaman's underwater throne room, Barry Allen's house, Maxwell Lord's mansion/headquarters...

I did see all the costumes! They had pretty much finished them all when the film got canned. They looked great. Superman's was very stylised - all blue except for gold belt and red cape, which had red Kryptonian lettering etched into its fabric... almost like a digital print along his arms, like electronic data. and his belt was gold and had fine detail that told the story of how he landed on earth.

Batman's suit was very bulky, more like a soldier, not as sleek as Chris Nolan's.

Batman was all black - like i said, kind of like an army/special ops sort of thing. very bulky and solid and practical. he carried tools on his belt, gas grenades etc. not as futuristic or sleek as the nolan one.

I dunno where this came from (looks like concept art from the joss whedon wonder woman movie maybe? or fan art?) but it was pretty close to this*:

(*He posted a mock pic of Cobie Smulders as WW made by jmc)

This looks very much like the WETA mockups I was sent (except it was megan gale of course). Maybe the JLA one was slightly less armory, but the leather look is pretty close. and the bodice looks close to what i saw. There was detail in the belt that had symbols that i think were greek. It had this same greek warrior look, very realistic. No cheesy stars or spandex etc.

Aquaman had the modern look - long hair, green scaly tights, golden armor, but assymetrical, so his left shoulder was exposed. His left hand had a harpoon attachment.

Flash was very classic - full red bodysuit, flash logo on chest, runners - basically just like this alex ross pic* except imagine adam brody (and the golden ear wings were smaller, and went straight back instead of outwards)

(*He posted a pic of Alex Ross's Flash )

Yeah I remember MMH... he was going to be played by Hugh Keays Byrnes, the guy that played toecutter in Mad Max. They were building prosthetics for him. Basically he was the classic look - all green like you would expect, with the red leather braces across his chest. Can't recall if he had the cape though, I think he did.

MM was just a guy in prosthetic yeah - CG only when he flew/fought I think...

Green Lantern was going to be played by Common - it was the John Stewart version. Again, pretty much what you would expect his costume to be. It was mostly black with a very dark green detail. Logo on chest. They were playing around with a few different rings too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"