The Falcon

Discussion in 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' started by Chewy, Jul 16, 2012.

1. TheHeatKitchen

TheHeatKitchen Well-Known Member

New SHIELD recruit, being trained by Natasha, always heard about Captain America, finally realizes his dream and gets to fight beside him.

2. Hawkingbird

Hawkingbird I want to be Kate Bishop

Oh I like that. No more SHIELD agents please.

3. BullMcGiveny

BullMcGiveny Probably Disagree

Nope.

4. cherokeesam

cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

Yeah, I think they're making it clear that Falcon isn't part of SHIELD.

Which still begs the question about how/why SHIELD "celebrity" agents are hobnobbing with an ANG pilot with an experimental pair of personal wings.

5. BullMcGiveny

Actually, I meant I very much doubt Natasha is training Falcon. He could be a member of SHIELD, or their military liaison.

But as far as what are Steve and Sam doing together, perhaps Sam was among the national guard units who show up in the Avengers to fight the chitauri?

6. Ant-manic

Ant-manic Well-Known Member

Sam could be a distant relative of Gabe Jones.

7. Raiden

Raiden Wakanda Forever

And how will Falcon use his wings for combat? It might work in the comics, but then again he also speaks to animals in the comic books.

8. xeno000

xeno000 IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

One assumes that Falcon will be swooping down on his enemies and raining hell from above. That's what the guns are for. They could also add some lightweight bombs and incendiary devices to make the terror from the skies scenario complete.

9. cherokeesam

DCMarvelFreshman got hold of the script, and posted the scene that they've been filming on The National Mall involving Cap and Sam's first meeting. Tells us exactly what Sam is part of, at the outset of the movie:

He's with the 58th Pararescue Wing of the ANG; now works at the VA (hospital); and did a 4-year tour of duty, presumably in Afghanistan and/or Iraq.

10. Hunter Rider

Hunter Rider Ronin

11. DN91

DN91 SSR Agent

Are there any SHIELD logos on the outfit Falcon is wearing in the greenscreen shots?

12. cherokeesam

No, because Wilson doesn't work for SHIELD.
    If you don't mind a middle-sized spoiler, check my post a couple of spots up, where DCMF leaked details of one of the scenes that Evans, Mackie and Scarjo were filming last week. Tells exactly what Sam's profession is, and who he works for.

13. BullMcGiveny

I wonder if that's for real, though. Not the details of the scene, but [blackout]Sam actually working for the VA.

For one thing, the Pararescue are a special forces unit of the USAF. For another, what would an ex-ANG be doing with what I assume is a military-issued flying harness?

I'm guessing Sam was actually undercover, and he was there with the intention of running into Steve. It might not be SHIELD, but it could be some other agency.[/blackout]

14. Vartha

Vartha Mod of Thunder

Agents of SHIELD use the same crest IN the jet. BUT it has the SHIELD eagle in the center

15. cherokeesam

Just the 2 pages of leaked script we got shows that Sam was genuinely surprised that the annoying guy who disrupted his morning run was none other than Captain America....strongly doubt there was any intent or purpose to meet Steve.

The ANG/Pararescue angle makes sense to me. There's probably a plot-related reason that Sam is working at the VA....who knows, he might be taking care of one or more of Steve's old (and I do mean "old") buddies/ soldiers/ girlfriends.

And Pararescue is a good occupation for Sam....I did a little research into what they actually do, and there's a lot there that would distinguish him from some of the other heroes; especially from War Machine, if people start claiming that Falcon is just another Rhodey black sidekick. Pararescue aren't pilots or soldiers per se, but the training/experience they have means that Sam Wilson likely has extensive skills in parachuting/skydiving, scuba diving, combat extractions under heavy fire, airlift rescues of both military and civilians, crisis management during natural disasters, and a hefty amount of combat medicine and EMT/first aid. I think Sam is our first healer/doctor superhero in the MCU.

16. BullMcGiveny

A script doesn't really tell you all the information right away, and generally reads like the movie will look. So if Sam is an undercover agent who is meant to meet Cap, the script won't tell you if he's pretending[/quote]

17. cherokeesam

True, but the script has Sam sorta talking to himself, saying things like, "Oh yeah, coming up on the right, yeah, uh-huh" to show how he's getting increasingly annoyed with this guy. Not the sort of thing you'd hear from someone who came to the park with the express purpose of meeting that person.

18. Hawkingbird

Hawkingbird I want to be Kate Bishop

[/QUOTE]
    Ahhh cover them properly :oldrazz:.

19. cherokeesam

Anthony Mackie talks Falcon to EW:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/06/18/captain-america-the-winter-solider-anthony-mackie-falcon/4/

Also, CBM has posted some set pics of Steve, Sam, and Natasha outside Falcon's apartment. (Still filming in Cleveland, but presumably Sam's apartment is meant to be in Washington.)

20. BoredGuy

BoredGuy Chairman of the Bored

That EW report also says he's a SHIELD agent and more patriotic peer to Hawkeye and Black Widow
    seems to contradict these reports of him just being ex-military and working at the VA...

21. Joeyjojo72

Joeyjojo72 Well-Known Member

Im still concerned with how they're going to pull off the wings. in a world where multiple factions have access to highly maneuverable and armored power suits, i dont see how a pair of fixed or flappable wings makes any practical sense. also the physics of it, even movie physics, doesnt really add up - especially if Falcon is a regular non-powered human. The wings would have to be enormous to support a 200 lb human, and would need an arc-reactor type power source. we shall see...

22. ctsketch

ctsketch Well-Known Member

he's got a jet pack more visible in recent images...my guess is he uses the pack to propel upwards and can use the wings like a highly maneuverable glider.

There are maneuvers you can do with wings you can't do with a jet

23. Joeyjojo72

Joeyjojo72 Well-Known Member

wings and gliders arent the same thing. gliders arent particularly maneuverable. hes the Falcon, not the Honey Glider.

but if theyre not giving him legit bird type wings, then the jet glider combo would be more practical/realistic. kinda disappointing that we arent getting the full Falcon treatment with true anatomically bird-like wings.

might be cool if, near the end of the movie, he is endowed by SHIELD with some alien tech next level **** that allows him to truly fly like a falcon.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  24. Suzanne78

Suzanne78 Abs Without Fear

If there's one thing I love almost as much as the Stasha pics and Winter Soldier's bad*** look for the movie, it's Anthony Mackie's enthusiasm for Sam Wilson/Falcon. That EW article is a nice read.

Mackie is, quite simply, the bomb diggity.

ETA: I'm very much on the side that Sam's VA gig is a front for his SHIELD activities. Or, well... I guess he could do both?
    Maybe he acts as some sort of military/SHIELD liason.

I have officially given up using periods when I type out SHIELD. It takes too much time and I'm too darn lazy!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  25. ctsketch

ctsketch Well-Known Member

according to concept art we can expect more glider than wings