The Finished/Theatrical Version Of WOLVERINE Has Been Seen!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

3 Dev Adam

I AM THE GREEN VENOM!
Reaction score
The Finished/Theatrical Version Of WOLVERINE Has Been Seen!! Just How Different Is It From That Workprint??

Merrick here...

When the workprint of WOLVERINE leaked a few weeks back, we heard a great deal from Fox about how said print represented a different edit of the film than we'd see in theaters. We heard how recently shot footage was still to be incorporated into the movie, and were told the leaked version was months old (despite the presence of FX time-stamped only a week or two before the leak).
So, many of us have been wondering exactly how the final version of WOLVERINE would differ from its workprint iteration.
Veritas sent in the following message after viewing the edit we'll be seeing in theaters, also including an aside about a conspiracy of silence surrounding advance screenings of the film.

Here's Veritas...

Sometimes there are clauses prohibiting us from writing about a movie before a certain date ("embargo"). But this was different: we had to sign a clause that we wouldn't even TALK about the movie until two days prior to its US release, especially on the web. I found that quite odd.
Add to that recent reports that the finished version is as long as the leaked workprint, even though FOX stubbornly insists that the workprint is missing the material from the reshoots. It makes sense, too, as the trailers have scenes that are not featured in the workprint (Wolverine carrying his girlfriend to the beach, a young Ororo in Nigeria).
Well, having seen the finished film, the mystery is solved: the workprint version IS in fact identical to the release print, sans effect and some audio work. It's obvious that FOX is trying their darndest to keep this news from getting out, because it will eliminate most of the motivation for people who have seen the workprint to pay for a ticket.
Some scenes from the trailer are not in the finished version, either.
The finished effects are lackluster, to say the least - some really bad CGI work made me groan numerous times (especially, but not restricted to, Patrick Stewart's cameo). The scene with Stewart looks so much better in the workprint - trying to digitally de-age him did NOT work this time around...
Good pacing, good lead performances, and some cool comic book fights overcome a non-existing story, horrible dialog (including the classic "I'm so cold..."), and criminally underdeveloped characters. It's a fun flick, but it will never be considered one of the great comic book movies of our time (like Iron Man, Dark Knight, Watchmen, etc.). They also have to jump through some ridiculous hoops to reset all the relationships to properly connect it to the first "X-Men" movie (unnecessary, I think - who seriously gives a ****?).

Last edited:
What a shocker....NOOOOOOTTTTT [/borat]

I'm actually a tiny bit disappointed to be honest.

And to answer the reviewr, ME! I do give a f**k! Is that so wrong?

:hehe:

Well, Fox are ****s, Rothman is a ****, they are all ****s. I'll still go and see it though.

Fox did their job again.

Congrats!

And Gambit is STILL the best thing about this movie. Thank you! :)

If you want to see this then by all means do. Just go to matinee instead of midnight so you don't pay double and then maybe we can all teach Fox a lesson.

Watchmen is considered a great comic book film of our time? Riiiiight :whatever:

No one should be surprised. I almost feel bad for those who were so adamant about Fox not lying about adding "new" footage to the theatrical cut.

Hate to say it but "told you so". :cwink:

If you want to see this then by all means do. Just go to matinee instead of midnight so you don't pay double and then maybe we can all teach Fox a lesson.

All the comic fans should teach them a big lesson: Respect the characters.

If you don't want they to do it, go to the theatre and enjoy the movie.

I don't hate to say it, so I'll say it... TOLD YOU SO! I LULZ!

Seriously, it's nothing unexpected AT ALL.

No one should be surprised. I almost feel bad for those who were so adamant about Fox not lying about adding "new" footage to the theatrical cut.

Hate to say it but "told you so". :cwink:
I sort of am too because I was there 3 years ago but I think a couple of people will still be the same way in 3 more years.

All the comic fans should teach them a big lesson: Respect the characters.

If you don't want they to do it, go to the theatre and enjoy the movie.

That's all well and good, but us, the comic book fans are in the minority. Even if we all boycott the film it won't make too much difference. Fox didn't care before, they wouldn't care after.

And I really don't care if its the same as the workprint (I haven't seen it anyway), I'm seeing this movie!

That's all well and good, but us, the comic book fans are in the minority. Even if we all boycott the film it won't make too much difference. Fox didn't care before, they wouldn't care after.
Thank you. I think that some of us comic book fans forget that we are just a small fraction of the people who go to watch these movies in theatres. Its kind of selfish for us to expect them to ignore the tastes of everyone else to focus on what we want.

Thank you. I think that some of us comic book fans forget that we are just a small fraction of the people who go to watch these movies in theatres. Its kind of selfish for us to expect them to ignore the tastes of everyone else to focus on what we want.

Ahhh you wouldn't believe how many idiots I've seen on other forums saying the movie makers should cater just to comic book fans. Some of them even go as far as saying that comic book fans are where the money comes from. I just laugh at their stupidity.

I would love for all these films to be made JUST for us, but it is never gonna happen.

Zack Snyder basically said he made Watchmen for the fans, and I truly commend him for it.

But I guarantee this film will make more money than Watchmen in the cinemas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"