Inhumans "THE FIRST CHAPTER" - Inhumans' IMAX film aka the 1st 2 episodes (Use Spoiler tags)

The Friday timeslot that Inhumans will occupy had been successful for years due to Shark Tank. That ended.

I just saw the first two episodes. Honestly, I won't even bother on talking about the story.

Honestly, for a show that reportedly received such a big budget, I have NO IDEA on where that all went. It clearly didn't go into the production design or effects.

I mean there wasn't a SINGLE action sequence that impressed me in the whole two hours. Everything looked so sloppy, as though a film student directed this with a good RED camera. No one is asking for movie like effects and high budgeted action sequences but both Agents of SHIELD, Arrow, and the Netflix Marvel shows have demonstrated that it is definitely possible to do some memorable/great action sequences with a TV budget.

Though I think I might be a little bias since I've lived in Hawaii for most of my life so I'm very familiar with the locations and culture that was shown in this show. But I honestly felt like I was watching a Sci-Fi version of Hawaii 5-0 and not something out from the MCU.

I just saw the first two episodes. Honestly, I won't even bother on talking about the story.

Honestly, for a show that reportedly received such a big budget, I have NO IDEA on where that all went. It clearly didn't go into the production design or effects.

I mean there wasn't a SINGLE action sequence that impressed me in the whole two hours. Everything looked so sloppy, as though a film student directed this with a good RED camera. No one is asking for movie like effects and high budgeted action sequences but both Agents of SHIELD, Arrow, and the Netflix Marvel shows have demonstrated that it is definitely possible to do some memorable/great action sequences with a TV budget.

Though I think I might be a little bias since I've lived in Hawaii for most of my life so I'm very familiar with the locations and culture that was shown in this show. But I honestly felt like I was watching a Sci-Fi version of Hawaii 5-0 and not something out from the MCU.

So we expect Kamekona to come out in his food truck to serve Gorgon?

I suspect that a large chunk of the budget was spent exactly on that: filming in Hawaii. Add that to the chunk spent on IMAX. . .

I've only watched the first hour so far. I'll finish up the rest later. I concur with those who say that it's too rushed. [blackout]The coup should've been saved for episode 2. BTW, I hope we learn how Maximus got in contact with the hunters on earth.[/blackout] My main problem, though, was that it all felt so emotionally flat. [blackout]Medusa's haircut,[/blackout] which was supposed to be the climax of the episode, felt like a whole lot of nothing.

Also, the autistic Asian inhuman was annoying, though I did like his fight scene. it was a rare moment of creativity.

it is not a work of art granted but its not worse than arrow in fairness. No need to overstate this. watchable. nothing more nothing less so far.

Last edited:
Now that I've had a while to think about it, I have decided that I will at least watch the next episode as well. The thing that confuses me the most about the pilot is that throughout the pilot I actually wanted to like everything they had done with it, but at the same time, there were elements that just didn't click at all. Still, there were some moments especially in the first part of the episode that I really liked, I'm just worried that the rest of the season will be more like the second part. So, I'll see how I feel after the next episode is finished. ;)

supposedly there was what like $80 million spent on this series, but I didn't see any of it on screen for the premiere. Is it super expensive to film in Hawaii? Does Anson Mount cost a million an episode? seriously I'm confused.

Right after the report of it costing 80 million, there were people saying that it didn't cost 80 million. All that was said is that it was expected to boost the economy of Hawaii by 80 million. I have no idea if that's true or not, but I would imagine that clears up your confusion quite nicely if it didn't cost 80 million.

Right after the report of it costing 80 million, there were people saying that it didn't cost 80 million. All that was said is that it was expected to boost the economy of Hawaii by 80 million. I have no idea if that's true or not, but I would imagine that clears up your confusion quite nicely if it didn't cost 80 million.

I think it did cost that much but production was rushed. Partially since Perlmutter wanted it to come out ASAP, partially since Jeph Loeb's heart wasn't in it. Inhumans is literally nothing more than a contractually obligated phoned-in series.

And why should Loeb care about a show that he isn't interested in making when he could better divert his time to Punisher and Jessica Jones?

Well, production was rushed because IMAX required that it be released by Labor Day weekend because of the weak selection at that moment. But that doesn't mean there is any basis in fact to conclude the budget is 80 Million.

Well my reaction is really no different from everyone else's. What pisses me off the most about all this is just the cheap production quality. I think there was two scene's with Medusa's hair using her powers [blackout] before her hair is cut off[/blackout] Not to mention the Halloween costume quality of the wig she wears. The sets are very drab. Gorgon's hooves are just laughably bad. From the effects work they did with Ghost Rider in AOS, I know they are capable of better, so being on television is not an acceptable excuse.

What's worse is the hack job quality of the editing, and horrible script the show was based on. This is by far Marvel Studio's worst effort. While Iron Fist might have had a few problems, the production quality was far beyond this.

There are a few things I did like. I thought the actor that played Blackbolt did a good job, and Iwan Rheon is a good bad guy, even if the 2 hour premiere didn't really do much to establish his backstory, he just goes bat**** crazy in the first 20 minutes of the show.

I am hopeful this show will improve over the season, but this all seems like such a wasted effort, as ABC seems like they won't even consider renewing it, making it more of a mini-series event

I will continue to watch the series as I'm a fan of the characters, and I think the actors did the best with what they had to work with. However let's hope that any future television events are handled much better than this.

I've only watched the first hour so far. I'll finish up the rest later. I concur with those who say that it's too rushed. [blackout]The coup should've been saved for episode 2. BTW, I hope we learn how Maximus got in contact with the hunters on earth.[/blackout] My main problem, though, was that it all felt so emotionally flat. [blackout]Medusa's haircut,[/blackout] which was supposed to be the climax of the episode, felt like a whole lot of nothing.

Also, the autistic Asian inhuman was annoying, though I did like his fight scene. it was a rare moment of creativity.

They were trying to make some kind of a big splash for imax so the story lines were rushed because of it. This could have been so much better.

To me the [blackout]haircut[/blackout] just seemed like a cheap excuse to save money on the effects budget.

While Iron Fist might have had a few problems, the production quality was far beyond this.

In fairness, the production design was much easier in Iron Fist. This show needed more ambition, imo, but they still had to design a ton of things from scratch. It's much easier to find a rundown studio apartment in New York to film in than to build an entire city. Although, imo, Iron Fist should have designed K'un Lun as well.

In regards to the Alpha Primitives they ran into something of a problem due to Agents of SHIELD. Radcliffe made Primitives out of normal humans in order to create an army for Hive. It would look even worse for the Royal Family if they intentionally turned normal humans into Primitives to work the mines. (we know it is AoS universe because they reference the fish oil)

The wife and I enjoyed the show. It wasn't spectacular TV but it was fun and interesting enough for us to continue watching. That's really the best signal for a TV show -- "I want to watch what happens next." That's a stronger start than AoS had since I almost quit that one after 3 terrible episodes.

In regards to the Alpha Primitives they ran into something of a problem due to Agents of SHIELD. Radcliffe made Primitives out of normal humans in order to create an army for Hive. It would look even worse for the Royal Family if they intentionally turned normal humans into Primitives to work the mines. (we know it is AoS universe because they reference the fish oil)

The wife and I enjoyed the show. It wasn't spectacular TV but it was fun and interesting enough for us to continue watching. That's really the best signal for a TV show -- "I want to watch what happens next." That's a stronger start than AoS had since I almost quit that one after 3 terrible episodes.

Given that Vijay has the gene but Ellen doesn't, it should be possible for people without the inhuman gene to be born on attilan, right?

Isn't that essentially what happened to Maximus?

I suppose so.

Unless [BLACKOUT]he actually has some kind of mind control and was either able to convince the genetic council he had no powers because of it or it somehow took much longer than normal to kick in. He would've kept it a secret knowing this could help him gain sympathy from other lower class inhumans. But in that case there would need to be an explanation for why he hasn't used it since.[/BLACKOUT]

a colossal waste of everyone's time.

Given that Vijay has the gene but Ellen doesn't, it should be possible for people without the inhuman gene to be born on attilan, right?

Correct. But according to SHIELD it was a specific process that Radcliffe created that led to the Alpha Primitives. So Inhumans can't have used the APs as an underclass because they were already established separately in the storyline. So instead they were stuck using regular humans and "crappy" Inhumans as the underclass. Much less of a grey area about the royal family as a result.

I don't know if everyone here is watching SHIELD so spoilers.

[BLACKOUT]Several regular humans have been exposed to the mist and not changed like Ellen and Tripp, Mac, and Coulson off the top of my head.
By comparison the Alpha Primitives are attempts by Hive and Radcliffe to recreate Hive's awakening at the hands of Kree reavers. It involves Kree DNA followed by exposure to the mist. So in the MCU Inhumans bear the successful gene from the Kree experiments, humans are normal,
and Alpha Primitives are botched attempts at creating new Inhumans out of regular humans.[/BLACKOUT]

It wasn't as horrifically bad as I thought it was going to be.

I'd hardly call it making things *more* grey. In the comics, the Alpha Primitives are something that already exists. Whatever Black Bolt's thoughts on them, they'd continue existing.

Here, the underclass is not some genetic variant that came into being long ago, its something he is actively perpetuating, every day, by sending people to the mines for not mutating usefully. That's much, much worse.

I found myself much more disappointed in THE GIFTED than THE INHUMANS. In my mind it's like, 'INHUMANS tried to pull off high drama and failed on some counts. GIFTED tried to do nothing more than a standard chase-scenario, and lots of anti-mutant hysteria, and people gave it rave reviews."

Doesn't ambition count for anything? (he asked rhetorically)

Inhumans doesn't feel ambitious. In fact, it goes out of it's way to remove all of the more ambitious stuff that's present in the source material.

Frankly The Gifted actually feels more ambitious. It has actual you know themes and ideas and actually seems to use it's resources WELL!! Plus the cast is given better material to work with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"