The Flash season 2 episode 23 "The Race of His Life"

Discussion in 'The Flash' started by KillerMcQueen, May 5, 2016.

?

Rate "The Race of His Life"

1. 10

2. 9

3. 8

4. 7

5. 6

6. 5

7. 4

8. 3

9. 2

10. 1

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Nathan Registered

Am I the only one who preferred fake Jay Garrick's outfit? Looked more old-school. And simpler. The new one is a bit over-designed.

2. The Shape In the shadows

Yeah, I thought it was much better than the one last night.

3. Speed Force Goober

Wells said if they tried to dismantle or disable the Magnatar it would turn on and cause the destruction.

Wells also said he's making a speed remnant. "How do we know which one is the real Barry?"

Why did he want to see who was faster? So he could use Barry's speed to power the Magnatar and destroy the Earth's.

4. Kyle Registered

Same here. Comically that scene might play out as very emotional and uplifting for some people thinking things might be better while for me it was just almost like an awesome horror scene 'knowing' how terrible things are going to become. I love how in essence the villain basically won this season by turning Barry in effect into the villain (which I basically see Flash as the villain in Flashpoint since he causes the apocalypse basically).

…………………

As pet Jay's suit, just realized why it underwhelmed me. It was basically the Smallville blur uniform just add the helmet.

#179 Kyle, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
  5. Spider-Aziz Head scratching webhead

It's fun, but stupid, far dumber than anything on this show so far.

Agreed.

6. Omegabat Registered

I'll be honest, Thomas Wayne made Flashpoint readable, the rest of the arc was rather so so and he's off limits. Ofcourse they'll probably turn Robert Queen in to Green Arrow and rightfully invite accusations of ripping off and terminal laziness to compensate for the lack of Thomas. But still it's just dumb to see Barry's character regressing and I'm not looking forward to seeing another version of Well's and the repetition that will ensue when it comes to him. Nor am I looking forward to another speedster villain, Abra Kadabra and Shade deserve a shot.

7. m1ll3r Failed experiment

I think the fact they're tackling it at all is admirable. Okay, we're not going to get the full Flashpoint story for obvious reasons, but a version of it within the Flarrowverse will still be a hoot to watch. And I guess by the end of it we'll have Supergirl in the same universe, and maybe some other changes and additions.

8. Spider-Aziz Head scratching webhead

How will that affect Arrow?

9. m1ll3r Failed experiment

Arrow has dropped off in quality this season, so a Flashpoint style mix up will probably do it a lot of good. The same applies to LoT, which hasn't exactly been of the highest quality.

10. j0ke5ta Registered

A little surprised by the ending. Getting Black Flash tease was awesome. I was surprised by some decisions by Barry in the end and the whole flashpoint set up for season 3. So the ending kinda took me off guard in a lot of aspects. I really enjoyed it and it was a solid season & finale.

Saying that I did feel a bit underwhelmed compared to the season 1 finale because I was hoping for some more cosmic rift with Earth 2 type final battle with Zoom. The resolution to the big weapon felt a little rushed and anti climatic. Felt like they wanted to speed up that resolution with the big fight & major weapon so to get to the twist/romance at the end to set up season 3.

I did have minor things I would have loved to seen happen or changes to how they wrapped it up but mainly were just preconceived routes I thought they might take when scenes were playing out and maybe the way to bring in Supergirl into the CW. Which I will place my little scenario/fan theory I had leading up to the episode in the spoiler box so not to convolute my post too much & make it super long if anyone wants to read.

Overall great finish to the season very interested in seeing where they go in season 4 and the overall arching effect this has on the CWverse as a whole. If they acknowledge it on Arrow (wish they could wipe away season 3 & 4 days of future past style on that show) or Legends seeing that Legends deals with time travel and most of it's members are comprised of people picked up before the timeline changed in Flash. Maybe they just ignore it on the other two shows all together if they follow flashpoint ending and resolution though.

I was kinda hoping they would go into season 3 maybe without Barry and with a tease of Wally getting his powers towards the end leading into season 3. Then the arc being they had to find/recover Barry from time or the speed force after he sacrificed himself to stop Zoom going into season 3. With a somewhat rehash of Wally learning his powers like Barry did season 1 with the team in order to save or find Barry and fill the role of the Flash.

When the Iris scene happened at the end I almost sold myself he would turn to the camera and be like I am sorry and then the reveal would be the "time remnant" who we thought sacrificed himself was in fact the real Flash/Barry and that the one in the scene was the past Barry who had to return to his timeline.

Which I have some confusion on how that all works anyways and how if he killed a past self and he can still exist so I just throw my hands up and say Comic Books logic. I mainly wanted to see the big weapon at the end used and us see some of Cisco's vision like the other world being sucked into vortex vision before it being stopped by Barry.

I know CW hadn't made the switch with Supergirl until this was all filmed and done but it would have been a fun reveal and logically speaking easier to explain Supergirl if they had shown one of the earths cities being sucked into the vortex before Flash stopped it.

If they had maybe they shot a short scene with Kara to add on for like the final 30 seconds or maybe her getting up from the ground. National City completely changed (since they probably won't be filming in LA anymore) and her waking up on Earth 1 in a unfamiliar National City and parts of her world had merged with Earth 1.

#185 j0ke5ta, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
  11. Marvel Knight Registered

Lol. You're dreaming if you think Guggenheim and Mericle will try to 'course correct' Arrow.

They love the Felicity/Olicity-driven direction that the show is in and how the scripts read like poor fanfiction.

12. Spider-Aziz Head scratching webhead

One thing that I REALLY loved about this episode is that in one episode, Barry managed to beat the crap out of two evil speedsters, it's like a grand payback to all the beating both of them gave him.
    Coin that term.

If the show runners can manage to make it more appealing, then I guess you might be right.

I honestly want this to make the show go the route of pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths Barry, that one is my favorite Flash.

13. mr_j936 Registered

Everything I disliked in one episode: time remnants, time wraiths, a convenient way for the flash to beat the villain without having to kill him, it's not you it's me speech in the end. Season 1 was much much better. We won't know much about the ending until season 3. Since they completely confused us with what creates a time remnant and what actually changes time.

14. m1ll3r Failed experiment

You might not get that, as it might be too confusing for the audience, but I do think there will be some fairly sizeable changes by the end of next season. The main one is obviously Supergirl joining the same universe, but who's to say they might not do a lot more besides? LoT really isn't working all that well given that there are some very weak characters in it (The Hawks, Rip) but I could totally see an Atom show created after the crisis is over. Although they need to change his damn costume to something less Starky. A crisis is potentially a great way to introduce other fresh series, or other characters into existing series. And who's to say Berlanti isn't planning on his Booster Gold being part of it too?

15. Gallops Registered

I think the Flashpoint paradox is going to not change the events on Arrow so much. I think it may make Barry and Oliver's relationship different. Maybe from best friends to either rivals or guys who don't know each other. It's likely Barry won't have the close relationship with Iris and Joe however.

There's always a small chance they get to use Thomas Wayne in season 3, unless there were plans for him in the DC Cinematic Universe. I do think the whole Flashpoint storyline will be different because there can be no Aquaman or Wonder Woman.

I do think this will cause Supergirl's earth to merge with Earth 1, as a convenient way to allow crossovers. Or maybe because of Barry saving his mother, they have their own version of the Justice League.

16. regnak Registered

To show how the world has to gone to hell they should make Oliver evil in the Flashpoint timeline. And have him opposed by the Birds of Prey, Laurel, Thea and Felicity in her wheelchair because he put an arrow in her spine. :woot:

17. NoirMan82 Registered

A time remnant is only created after it's particular timeline has been destroyed. So for Barry to have a time remnant he must travel back in time to where his past was permanently altered. The only point in time this could be is when he first travelled back in time when he was trying to stop the tsunami from hitting the city. That original timeline is extinct and would've created a remnant.

18. The Incredible Hulk Bad Hombre

wasnt this already hashed out in the episode with the Reverse Flash this year? Even though present Eobard was erased by Eddie's suicide, a version of him from the past where he did still exist (prior to Eddie shooting himself) came forward in time.

Wouldnt this just be that but in reverse?

19. Marvel Knight Registered

And that episode established that the Time Remnant of Eobard in the past was necessary, in order to become the Eobard of the future.

That's why they sent Matt Letscher's Eobard back.

Otherwise, his 'origin story' would be rewritten.

So Barry taking his own past self and having that past self die, should have erased present Barry.

20. javonstokess Registered

I don't have a problem with Barry's decision in the end...mostly because I'm used to him making impulsive, dumb decisions, it went right along with his character.

21. Astro13Zombie Registered

Definitely prefer Zooms Garrick outfit.
    Loved the Rocketer vibe.

BUT

It kinda makes sense that his would look the way it did. Old scool like you said.
    All of earth 2 kind of had that going on.
    The real Jay wasn't from there. :oldrazz:

22. !Superman! Registered

didnt people complain about his decision in season one because he DIDNT save his mother when he had the chance? Now he does save her and it´s also a dumb decision?^^

i guess you can`t win Flash

23. Gallops Registered

I don't think they'll change much with Arrow because then you're talking a drastic change to a second show.

Unless they follow the normal timeline on Arrow and the Flashpoint on The Flash. But it would ruin any crossover opportunities.

I still think that Arrow will remain pretty much the same. Relationships between Team Arrow and Team Flash may be different though. Relationships between everyone in Team Flash will be different too because the whole timeline is messed up now.

I think a few episodes in next season, Barry "fixes" the timeline by letting his mom die (again). But when he comes back, things are still different but not nearly as bad as before.

24. Batman138 Registered

I have to say I was a bit underwhelmed with the finale. I'm not too thrilled about season 3 being set up as Flashpoint arc. Sure, there's some cool parts that could come from it, but how many times are they going to keep going over the same storyline/time periods? We're only two seasons into the show and I already feel like the whole "going back in time to save mom/stopping the Reverse Flash" has been done to death. Move on already! Hopefully the Flashpoint arc doesn't last all season.

I also felt that the big fight with Zoom was a bit of a letdown. All of that buildup all season just for that? I was hoping for a bigger fight. Zoom was an excellent villain and was just kind of thrown away at the end.

I definitely think season 1 was better overall, especially the writing. Hopefully the writing improves for season 3.

25. mr_j936 Registered

I kept wondering why zoom didn't go back in time and save his mom. Or why Barry didn't do it for him knowing that this is what made him this insane...