The Flash The Flash Season 4 Episode 14: "Subject 9"

Avenging Angel

We have unfinished business.
Reaction score
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 27
THE FLASH

"Subject 9" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, DLV) (HDTV)

RALPH FEARS FOR HIS LIFE — Barry (Grant Gustin) meets a powerful woman whose abilities could help him in his battle with DeVoe (guest star Sugar Lyn Beard). Meanwhile, after learning that DeVoe is targeting everyone who was on the bus, Ralph (Hartley Sawyer) decides he doesn’t want to be a hero anymore, his only concern is staying alive. Harry (Tom Cavanagh) offers to help Joe (Jesse L. Martin). Ralph Hemecker directed the episode written by Mike Alber & Gabe Snyder (#414). Original airdate 2/27/2018.

[YT]IY6ndKTFS90[/YT]

Last edited:
Oh wow I am really surprised that they are going this route and not just having it be done with. I like this!

Repercussions and doubts! And it looks like Ralph may have to keep doing the DeVoe schtick for a little while. Or until DeVoe proves that DeVoe is dead.

And yeah, I'm with yeah Ralph. I have to listen to country being played at work, and I hate it so much!:cmad:

So she doesn't scream but another aspect of the sonic scream lol. Though somehow it always looks better anywhere then Arrow.

You know...Iris could've been doing all of this investigative journalism if Ralph weren't around.

Seriously. Barry. Remember to disguise your voice.

I don't understand why he did not go to her as the Flash in the first place?

Hey, so who needs secret identities?!

Oh she's a screamer as well.

If they got rid of Cisco being clairvoyant I would be so happy.

Last edited:
Hey, so who needs secret identities?!

At least Iris tried to stop him. Pretty sure everyone in Central City will know he's Flash before the show ends at this point though

They act like she can't use her powers without a violin! wtf!

Okay, so suddenly she couldn't use her powers without the fiddle..?

Maybe it's time to go old school and just use a sniper.

This chicks southern accent is laughably bad. lol

For the most part it was a enjoyable episode.*

I was very impressed with the beginning. I didn't think for a second that they would deal with speculation that DeVoe was a fake and not trusting Barry so it is great that they went this route!

When we were first introduced to country girl I was all so she doesn't scream but another aspect of the sonic scream lol. Though somehow it always looks better anywhere then Arrow. But then they showed that she can "scream" if she wanted which just made go UGH! I know this must be a very cheap special effect but just stop introducing new people who all have the same offshoot of it.

If they got rid of Cisco being clairvoyant I would be so happy.

You know...Iris could've been doing all of this investigative journalism if Ralph weren't around.

The fight against DeVoe pissed me off because it was one of those scenes where they say "screw common sense" and they just had country girl stand there as DeVoe took over her body. She didn't need a violin to use her powers. She knew this. Barry knew this. Ralph knew this. But everyone conveniently forgot in that scene.

The Wells/Cecile storyline was interesting? It is good to get 2 characters who barely interact, interacting together but just so weird. But how can you give a character telepathy and then be boring by not allowing us to hear the thoughts? That's the funny part of telepathy!*

In his limited amount of time on The Flash, Ralph has already gotten a well rounded storyline. He already had a brief love interest in country girl. He started off as a slag, learned how to be a superhero, gained confidence. If only* they would do the same for Iris and Caitlin and to an extent Wells.*

This season seems to have hit a lull, at least for me.

Next week looks like a nice change of pace

Yeah, next week looks like we’ll actually see more Flash.

So when Barry can't convince people logically he just reveals his face...smh happens 3-5 times a season.

I gotta say, for the lull of this episode, this one and this season in general has impressed me with the writers not forgetting certain things. I thought for sure in the premiere the writers would just have Barry pulled out of the speedforce and forget that it needs an occupant. I thought they'd forget that Savitar and Kadabra mentioned Devoe to Barry. That Ralph!Devoe said he would cooperate with the police. And that Savitar talked about the cerebral inhibitor. But they didn't! Also, as mostly with the Flash, it has things have stronger consequences, than just, "Oh yeah! You just got out of prison, take your same job right back like nothing happened Barry, but you're on thin ice!"

If barry should be revealing himself to anyone it should be the captain of ccpd seeing as how story wise that would make the most sense.

I see that the show is continuing the trend from Season 2 and 3 of starting out with a potentially cool/interesting villain, only to make them less so as time goes on. Because I'm getting less and less interested in DeVoe by the episode.

Also I thought that this season was supposed to be "lighter" and more "fun" than the last two? Because if anything, it's MORE dark and depressing.

It's amazing how they continue to underuse Caitlin so much, even with Killer Frost now being on the good side (mostly).

And we're also continuing the trend of "make your villain so god-tier powerful and punk out the heroes every time, and then pull a lame/unconvincing Deus ex Machina plot point out of your butt at the last minute to finally win." Stop doing that shows (all of you, not just this one).

How did DeVoe use Kilgore’s powers to make Cisco’s gloves shoot? The gloves don’t do anything besides focus and channel the energy, they don’t do anything outside of that. Not even going to question what camer afterwards because that was ridiculously stupid.

Was an okay episode. Liked that they made reference to how Savitar mentioned the cerebral inhibitor, though just makes me wonder why this wasn’t brought up in the first place. The name alone kind of gives an idea of what it can do. Also the consequences of Barry being imprissoned was nice, and glad he’s not happily back at work (though in all honesty these characters need to start being at work and haviing outside lives). Still not really feeling this season. Next week looks really interesting as a stand-alone episode.

The show is going from bad to worse.

What went wrong this time:
1. Writers/Producers/Director decided to imply/make the source of Barry's problem maintaining/proving his innocence to people as #fakenews/ #socialmedia eventhough he was convicted and later released on 'hard-evidence'. Why would people even care to make #fakenews about Barry Allen?

2. First 'fight-scene': DeVoe beat the Flash team EASILY (one attack)using his stolen abilities BUT gets his ass-kicked by Izzy 'Soudwave' Bowen (also one attack).
(a) whatever happened to Barry's super-speed reflexes [that could catch A BULLET to THE BACK OF HIS NECK (implied unawareness/surprise attack) and SAVE JOE from being hit with LIGHTNING sitting trapped in THE SAME CAR] that he was caught by surprise and knocked down together with Ralph 'Elongated Man'?! Luck Powers/Jinx?
(b) DeVoe lost to Izzy's 'Power of Sound' despite having 'Luck Powers/Jinx' that should have guaranteed his victory, implying Izzy's power is stronger than the Flash.

3. Secret Identity: Barry, Cisco and Ralph wear masks but Iris' and Caitlin's identities are already exposed.
Writers/Producers/Director clearly forgot to edit out Iris and Caitlin from the scene [or added them to the scene spontaneously for s**t-and-giggles/girl-power?] making the unmasking(trust-the-Flash) gesture obsolete.

4. Violin: It's like they(Writers/Producers/Director) wanted Izzy to fail.

5. Training: How...
(a) Sound is faster than the Speedster?
(b) Somehow Izzy got hurt just as Barry stopped throwing the disks.

6. Thought-Violator: Yes, it does sound rapey
(a) Cecile cannot stop reading everyone's thought and everyone just seems okay with it, she still works as a DA (so much for oppositions client-attorney privilege).
(b) What happened to metahuman collars/cell/building/device that can block their meta-ability altogether?

7. Second Fight-Scene: Sigh
(a) Where's Wally? Seems a second speedster with a back-up Inhibitor/Tranquilizer/Knock-Out Gas/Plain-Sniper-Headshot would be very
useful.
(b) Should have hidden/transported Izzy someplace else using superspeed.
(c) Izzy could whistle and knock-out Ralph but couldn't use that instead of the violin?
(d) Shouldn't the speedster be the one attaching the device?

8. Unemployment: If your not busy...
(a) Team Arrow seems like they could use the Flash's help.
(b) Seems like the time to focus on training.

9. Savitar Armour/Power-Suit: If other-Barry could make it...
(a) Being godspeed faster could be the answer to defeating DeVoe.

and many more...

Terrible episode! From the moment she was introduced you knew she (the Decepticon Soundwave) was going to be beaten/collected by DeVoe, it was just watching the episode for that element to unravel. Somewhat of a bore if I'm honest!

I'm wondering whether these bus metas can be rescued too, and whether Team Flash will find that out in an upcoming episode; if their memories, powers and maybe personalities are stored with DeVoe somewhere, and if their bodies are on ice (could they be?) then there's hope for them all. If not...

Can anyone else see Ralph sacrificing himself to defeat DeVoe when the time comes? As is normal with Flash, each season they have, and release a backup character; Season 1 was Ronnie/Martin (Firestorm), Season 2 was Fake Jay, Season 3 was Julian, Season 4 will be Ralph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"