The Flash Season 4 Episode 16: "Run, Iris, Run"

Discussion in 'The Flash' started by Primal Slayer, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Primal Slayer

Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

[​IMG]

"Run Iris Run"
    IRIS SUITS UP — Team Flash confronts a new bus meta, Matthew AKA Melting Pot (guest star Leonardo Nam), with the ability to swap people’s DNA. During a battle with Team Flash, Matthew transfers Barry’s (Grant Gustin) super speed to Iris (Candice Patton). Now, with a new threat unleashed on Central City, Barry must act as the team leader while Iris takes on the mantle of superhero speedster in order to defeat their new foe. Harry Jierjian directed the episode written by Eric Wallace (#416). Original air date 3/13/2018.

2. igoogol

igoogol Well-Known Member

So lemme guess the writer was a recent fanfic writer, amiright? If what's her name can get money with that Twilight schlock, why not this guy. :shrug:

3. Primal Slayer

So whats the difference between what The Flash is doing for 1 episode as opposed to this?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. herolee10

herolee10 No More Miracles

I think what's more insulting here is that the description says that Barry must now act like Team Leader as a result of his and Iris's predicament.

So I'm wondering now on who the leader for Team Flash was prior to this season?:o

5. Avenging Angel

Avenging Angel I'm Fire! Life incarnate!

Are they serious? This is quite pathetic.

6. vantheman77

vantheman77 Superman Fan 4 Life

I predict Iris will die at the end of this season.

7. igoogol

Iris was a friend, not his wife or even girlfriend, and she didn't have super speed and she sure as hell wasn't Flash. And he was dating Patty Spivot at the time. The show was called Lois & Clark, not Clark Kent or Superman, and it was just as Mary Sue wish fulfillment fanfic as your third example. It's almost like you ignored context for optics...

But I'll admit, I wouldn't mind if Iris was just a friend, because those 2 have the chemistry of flat soda.

She won't. Who else could take her place as the show's shoehorn???

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  8. herolee10

One of the biggest differences here when comparing the situations listed above with the scenario that this episode is presenting is that:

1. In most of those scenarios, the titular hero didn't lose his powers and worked alongside his female partner during her tenure with Powers.

2. In Smallville's case, Lois never wore a costume and her receiving Clark's powers didn't make the latter into a less adequate person.

Plus, the fact that the description states on how Barry is now only the leader of Team Flash because he doesn't have his powers is pretty much the deal breaker here.

The idea that the titular hero isn't the leader of the group named after him is a joke, let alone the fact that someone as Iris being put in that position over him.

9. igoogol

That is the problem with Iris in general and with this ep in particular. This is like that burger commercial: Where's the Flash?! You put it much better and more succinctly than I did. Grant (half?) kiddingly joked that he's not in this ep. Makes you wonder...

10. LTuser

LTuser Well-Known Member

Interesting premise. BUT she may have his speed, but HOW will they show her learning how to use it?

11. vantheman77

vantheman77 Superman Fan 4 Life

How about his love interest from the 2nd season?

12. fan4stic

fan4stic Well-Known Member

How does Iris being or not being his girlfriend mean anything to the idea? Even the kinda powers is meaningless because it seems to be temporary. And I don't get how either of those shows having an episode where the female gets powers is Mary-Sue-ish at all or any more wish fulfillment than for the male characters.
    What does Iris having a costume in this episode have to do with it? How does that make it better or worse, particularly when it seems to be temporary? And why should Barry be the leader of the team and again how does that make it better or worse? Barry has never cared about that and the show itself doesn't treat the team leader position with much emphasis or respect at all. Barry's not in a position above or below anyone. They aren't in a competition. Barry has made his own decisions separate from team flash. It's more like Barry's working with a group of people than he's actually apart of that group.
    Pretty much no one it seems. Thinking about episodes from seasons past, Barry never seemed to have a particular authority in the group in leadership. Last season, Barry was totally disregarded by Cisco in the crossover. And Caitlin did whatever she wanted all season.

13. Dr.

Dr. Well-Known Member

Indeed.

I’m a bit of a science and story consistency nerd. ;nd So I appreciate an origin story that carefully lays out the unusual and unlikely events that leads to the hero’s unique superpowers or uncanny abilities. Consequently, it’s something of a pet peeve of mine when sidekicks or villains easily acquire - via dubious plot devices - the very same (or similar) powers. :huh:

But as you point out, this sort of thing is a pretty standard conceit in serialized superhero adventures. (There are only so many storylines.) So we shouldn’t be too surprised (or outraged) when The Flash follows the same pattern.

This site lists some standard superhero “stock plots”:

http://www.superheronation.com/2011/07/26/stock-plots/

I would add some sub-categories:

Hero (temporarily) goes rogue/evil; loses his powers; is physically disabled (blindness is popular :word:); becomes disillusioned with the hero biz; and (apropos to Iris) has his powers transferred to an ally or villain.

Meh. It is what it is. :shrug:

14. mqg96

mqg96 Well-Known Member

I'm so dead lol, but I think we already knew how this forum was gonna react to this. So no surprise to me. I'm cool with it, I already knew there was an Iris West speedster story in the comics. The Arrowverse has had more awkward moments than this. I can't wait to see how badass this version of Iris West will be. We already saw CCP Iris from Earth 2, now I'm looking forward to speedster Iris, and we already know how tough Iris' personality has always been without any powers.

15. Avenging Angel

Dude, don't tease me.

16. herolee10

I think you and I must have watched a different show for the previous three seasons because Barry was clearly the leader of Team Flash from seasons 1 to 3.

And why does Barry have to be the leader of Team Flash? The same reasons why Oliver is the leader of Team Arrow and why Kara is the leader of Team Supergirl: It's Barry's show. That fact alone should dictate on why he, the Flash, should be the leader of Team Flash.

Cisco's inability to follow Barry's lead in the first half of season 3 was because of his issues with his brother's death and how he felt that Barry was responsible for it.

Plus, generally in a episode like this, what could Barry possibly learn from it? He has been powerless before and he is, or was, the leader of the group as well.

The Arrowverse really has a problem in showcasing strong women without having to put down their male heroes in the process.

17. Primal Slayer

Except that in The Adventures of Lois and Clark and Smallville, Clark loses his powers leaving it up to Lois to save the day. Clark may guide her through them but that wont be any different to what Barry will be doing with Iris.

18. Brierrose

Brierrose Well-Known Member

19. Primal Slayer

That article really didnt lie.

20. fan4stic

Barry certainly isn't the leader in s1. Eobard is the head there. Barry galvanizes the team, but he's not the leader. Even in s2, he's more of a leading the pack type, but never the leader actively. Same for s3. The Cisco thing is an example and yes there's a reason, but it's still what happens. Same for the Caitlin thing. The leadership role doesn't come with emphasis or a great amount respect by the show. It seems more like they work together as a group than anyone is the leader. Everyone runs off in different directions. The same as now. Only difference is Iris is just there in the middle of it sometimes pointing them in their directions. But funny enough, not much at all. Ya'll get too annoyed over what has generally amounted to a title and not much else most of the time.

I don't understand at all how this is putting down Barry. He loses his powers for an episode. He's been put down more in other situations without the female characters aspect. Flash vs Arrow made him look worse. This is the same as last season when people complained about Wally being faster than Barry. It doesn't matter. It effects nothing. Barry is his own man and pretty much makes all of his own decisions. He's not being led by anybody. Nobody's put down by it. You're not making a good argument to me with the Oliver thing. He sucks to me. He shouldn't lead anyone as far as I'm concerned. Supergirl isn't the leader. She works with the DEO. It's Barry's show and Barry does all of his own stuff and the main story of the season is his. He doesn't need to lead the team for it to be his show. Barry is still the lead of Flash, that doesn't mean he has to lead the team. Like the Supergirl situation. They do what they want, but still work with a group.

21. Avenging Angel

Clearly they have. But when you're a shipper all logic leaves the table. Barry is no longer the leader anymore since Iris needed something to do.

That being said the title of the show should make it obvious who should lead.

I didn't really like Cisco's personality change, I understand it was because of Barry's actions but the way the writers handled Flashpoint was a disaster. It should have had more planning.

Nothing, more Iris shoehorning was needed, an entire episode dedicated to to someone we've seen enough of.

It's more of writers they hire to fit the job, hiring more females without political agendas help, same with male writers, I'd really like a straight, well-written story if possible, but I'm reaching for the stars.

If any episode is an indicator of how bad the writing can get for the male characters combined with female agenda politics it's 4x05 "Girls Night Out."

Many are just giving up after this episode. link

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  22. Pennywise

Pennywise Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound interesting.

23. Primal Slayer

24. fan4stic

That goes for haters too, particularly shippers who are haters of a character who oppose their ship.
    Much like Arrow and Supergirl, not really.
    Forbid that a character whose done so little gets an episode.
    An episode that, at worst, was the dumbest of the season.
    If something so minor makes some people leave, the show wasn't something they had much interest in.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  25. LTuser

LTuser Well-Known Member

I did like that female cop. Pity she left, just cause the fans wanted Barry/iris..

Exactly. It's not called TEAM flash. BUT the flash..