The Foreign Film Thread.

Chungking Express is absolutely one of my favorite movies ever. So beautifully shot by Christopher Doyle, especially the lighting since he only used available lighting. The acting is great, especially from Faye Wong. If you don't fall in love with her in this movie, you have no heart. It's a great love story with fantastic characters, definitely check it out.

I ordered both off amazon , definitely looking forward to watching them this week.

I ordered both off amazon , definitely looking forward to watching them this week.

I definitely hope you like it. I just fell in love with the movie after my first viewing.

I'm dying to see The Secret in Their Eyes, but no one I know wants to see it. I really hate seeing movies alone, but I might have to make an exception for this one.

I want to get more into Satyajit Ray's movies.

There's a sale going on at Barnes & Nobles with 50% off all Criterion Collection titles. The prices are still relatively high ($14.99-19.99 range), but still a deal considering their regular price points. Lots of great foreign films in their catalog. :up:

I picked up Akira Kurosawa's Kagemusha and Götz Spielmann's Revanche myself

^Thanks for the Info:up:.

(Also, I have never seen Revanche, but I love Kagemusha.)

Looks like Criterion Collection's Blu-ray release of Seven Samurai finally has a date: October 19th, 2010. Can't wait myself.

Also, as far as foreign films, Criterion will also be releasing Ingmar Bergman's The Magician and Nobuhiko Obayashi’s House on DVD and Blu-ray this October. I'm looking forward to both, House is especially something that sounds really interesting.

Looks like Criterion Collection's Blu-ray release of Seven Samurai finally has a date: October 19th, 2010. Can't wait myself.

Excellent. I watched Seven Samurai for the first time a few days ago, and definitely thought it lived up to its reputation.

^:up:

- I really like Luis Bunuel's movies. Specially "The Discreet Charm Of Bourgeoisie", "Cet Obscur Objet Du Desir", "Le Fantome De La Liberte" and "Los Olvidados".

I just recently saw La belle et la bête (Beauty and the Beast), the French version from 1946, directed by Jean Cocteau. I can't say it was a deep and profound film, but it was definitely a surreal treat for the eye. I liked the actess who played Belle, too. She looked like something out of a Botticelli painting.

</I>

Does anyone know when the Region 1 DVD of Secret Sunshine (Milyang) is coming out? Netflix has it listed but with no release date.

I'm starting to watch The Passionate Life of Edith Piaf. Was just wondering what everyone thought of it who have already seen it.

I'm starting to watch The Passionate Life of Edith Piaf. Was just wondering what everyone thought of it who have already seen it.
Is that a documentary? I only saw La Vie En Rose with Marion Cotillard and thought she did a pretty good job.

Is that a documentary? I only saw La Vie En Rose with Marion Cotillard and thought she did a pretty good job.

That's what it listed on IMDB but then again it's IMDB. The movie i'm watching is in fact La Vie En Rose with Cotillard. She is listed in being in the other one. Maybe they gave it a different name for the States but i'm guessing you're right and it's a documentary and they have Cotillard talking in it a bit.

That's what it listed on IMDB but then again it's IMDB. The movie i'm watching is in fact La Vie En Rose with Cotillard. She is listed in being in the other one. Maybe they gave it a different name for the States but i'm guessing you're right and it's a documentary and they have Cotillard talking in it a bit.
:up:.

Did you watch it because of Inception?:yay:
"Non, je ne regrette rien" is one of the greatest Piaf songs. Perfectly chosen by Nolan and very appropriate for the themes of the film.
(Nolan seems to know his Piaf better than Spielberg who chose an inferior Piaf song for that great scene in the brilliant Saving Private Ryan.)

:up:.

Did you watch it because of Inception?:yay:
"Non, je ne regrette rien" is one of the greatest Piaf songs. Perfectly chosen by Nolan and very appropriate for the themes of the film.
(Nolan seems to know his Piaf better than Spielberg who chose an inferior Piaf song for that great scene in the brilliant Saving Private Ryan.)

Yeah, I wanted to get a feel for her as an actress, still need to see Public Enemies too.

When you watch Public Enemies, it doesn't even make an impression. You watch it, but you feel as if nothing happened.

When you watch Public Enemies, it doesn't even make an impression. You watch it, but you feel as if nothing happened.

Hahaha! I'm mainly watching it to see how Marion does and I hear Bale's one of the best things about it. I've only heard a few people that liked it while everyone else it seems thought it was pretty meh.

"The Barbarian Invasions". Great French-Canadian movie. It won the Oscar for best foreign language film in 2004.

Speaking of best foreign language film "Get Out Your Handkerchiefs" won in 1979 and is also a great movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"