The Foreign Film Thread.

I want to see The Secret In Their Eyes and Departures.

I might be seeing The Secret In Their Eyes in a few weeks time.

I might be seeing The Secret In Their Eyes in a few weeks time.
:up:

(Another Truffaut Quote I like is: "You'll never hear a child say when I grow up I want to be a critic." Ironic, considering he started himself as a great critic in Les Cahiers Du Cinema.)

Last edited:
Got The Killer from my queue. Gotta find time to watch it.

_ Claude Chabrol's "Le Boucher." ("The Butcher.") With a great performance by Jean Yanne.

seven samurai, yojimbo,sanjuro, the many zatoichi films. Le pacte des loups (brotherhood of the wolf), pans labyrinth.

^:up:

(Also I like the Zatoichi films, almost as much as the Baby Cart ones.)

I bought Shogun Assassin on Blu Ray today.:word:

:up:
Yeah and also "Bullet in the Head" and Melville's "Le Samourai" (A big influence on Woo.)
Jim Jarmuch's "Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai" is another great take on the "Le Samourai" story.

i liked the different takes on yojimbo like fist full of dollars and last man standing.

i liked the different takes on yojimbo like fist full of dollars and last man standing.
Me too.
Also I think I like The Magnificent Seven as much as The Seven Samurai.

Everyone needs to see "Fish Story" if they already haven't. It's not on DVD yet so I had to download it, but I will definitely be purchasing it the second I can. The movie just put a huge smile on my face and the ending was just awesome. It's structured very similar to Pulp Fiction and Magnolia. Great movie and I recommend all of you seek it out. The trailer isn't the most well put together but you get to hear the awesome song that plays throughout the movie.

[YT]KJDsXS3BpB4[/YT]

Finished watching Ran for the first time earlier today. Damn, it basically exceeded my rather lofty expectations. The design and look of the film is nearly unmatched in my opinion, Kurosawa and co. really brought this story and world to life on screen.

I watched the Blu-ray edition, and there was some controversy over the shoddy transfer, but I thought it was fine. It wasn't as good as it ultimately should have been, and I wish Criterion could've gotten the chance to transfer it properly like they did with several of his other samurai classics, but this wasn't as bad as I think may made it out to be for a movie of it's age.

Finished watching Ran for the first time earlier today. Damn, it basically exceeded my rather lofty expectations. The design and look of the film is nearly unmatched in my opinion, Kurosawa and co. really brought this story and world to life on screen.

I watched the Blu-ray edition, and there was some controversy over the shoddy transfer, but I thought it was fine. It wasn't as good as it ultimately should have been, and I wish Criterion could've gotten the chance to transfer it properly like they did with several of his other samurai classics, but this wasn't as bad as I think may made it out to be for a movie of it's age.
:up:. Ran is great.

^your avatar reminds me of chris kattan.
just curious if anyone has seen shadow of the vampire,its not foreign but it is based on a foreign film. willem dafoe is very good in it. it's based on the nosferatu german film. it's the fictional making of the german film.

Last edited:
^your avatar reminds me of chris kattan.
just curious if anyone has seen shadow of the vampire,its not foreign but it is based on a foreign film. willem dafoe is very good in it. it's based on the nosferatu german film. it's the fictional making of the german film.
Haha. It's Conrad Veidt in The Man Who Laughs but now that you mention it, I can see the Kattan ressemblance too:woot:.
And I liked Shadow of the Vampire, specially the story which was a great premise for a film. Dafoe was a good Max Schrek.

Next week Godard's Breathless Criterion Blu.

Love Breathless! I was lucky to see it in 35 mm this past June at a local art house theater. It was fantastic.

Love Breathless! I was lucky to see it in 35 mm this past June at a local art house theater. It was fantastic.
That sounds cool. I wish I had seen it in the theater too. Belmondo is the man and Seberg was great too.

_ So, I watched The Shogun Assassin Blu and it was awesome. The print is much cleaner than before and the geysers of blood in even more vivid color than before:woot:. I only wished that instead of mashing up the 1st two original Lone Wolf and Cub movies (I think it's Sword of Vengeance edited with Baby Cart at the River Styx), they had issued two separate blu rays. Also it's too bad there is no subtitles option. Anyway, I'm glad I got it.

the film that started it all, el mariachi. another spanish speaking movie, a comedy i saw a while back rudo y cursi.

El Mariachi is probably my favorite Rodriguez movie and maybe the only one that I really like actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"