The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Objectively, Two Face. He's got that personal connection to Bruce, the battle for his soul, fractured psyche thing going for him. Personally speaking though, Mr. Freeze. Something about that cold, detached exterior masking one of the most emotional and sympathetic villains always got to me.

Yeah, im having a soft spot for Freeze because of his backstory and all.
Personally number 3 is so damn hard because there are many that would fit, two face, bane, scarecrow, mr freeze...all characters i would like to put at number 3.

I’m frankly surprised that nobody is pushing back against Ras at 2 beIng a given. (He’s probably #1 for me, but I never thought the majority of comics readers would put him that high). My #3 would be Ivy. I doubt most would agree but I personally think that the sheer possibilities of the extent of her power has never been completely shown. She is actually probably one of the most powerful villains in DC.

I want a Cyborg who doesn't angst over his cybernetics AT ALL. I want him to be "Gee, thanks dad, I'm better than ever now!" from the get-go. Why? ****in' Six Flags had me at (listen from 0:22-0:28 and tell me you wouldn't think he was happy with his cybernetics if you were someone who only knew him from TTG, where he was happy from the very start.)

Just read Red Hood and the Outlaws Annual 3. For anyone who is interested, I’m going to say GO GET THIS! I loved the interplay between Artemis, Jason and Bizarro for the first 25 issues of this title and found it to be the gem of Rebirth. Now, they finally bring us up to speed with what’s been going on with Artemis and Bizarro. And it is a blast!!

Everything about this Annual was a love letter to long time comic fans, including editorial narratives that seemed to have been ripped straight from 1970’s or 1980’s Marvel stories.

I loved this issue and sincerely hope this is the start of DC bringing that team back together. The Dark Trinity rocks!

Anyone reading Superman: Up In the Sky?

I’m sorry, Mani-Man, but Tom King is nailing Supes in that story. It’s a heartbreaking, beautiful story. I’m definitely loving it and could see it overtake Up Up and Away and All Star as my favorite Superman story.

I’m sorry, Mani-Man, but Tom King is nailing Supes in that story. It’s a heartbreaking, beautiful story. I’m definitely loving it and could see it overtake Up Up and Away and All Star as my favorite Superman story.
Ahhh, it’s out?! Is that the Wal-Mart one? I heard they were gonna give that a proper release then never heard another thing about it. Gotta check it out as I was very curious about a Tom King Superman. Glad to hear you’re loving it!

I’m not sure if Up in the Sky was a Walmart story or not. It was gifted to me. But 2 issues in and they’ve both given me tears.

Dont worry about it, if you liked it then thats great...i did like it too.
I always said it...Tom King is a good writer...he is just awful when he writes anything batman related.

I dont get why but he seems to lose the most basic fundamentals in the batman universe, the stuff you see him doing in Superman up in the sky for example or in Heroes in Crisis which didnt live up to it but had the right basics.

He is someone who works best when he can work on characters like Superman, Vision...i think he might be good with Booster Gold or Supergirl...oh i could see him do well with Wonder Woman.

What do posters here think of the Lex Luthor story The Black Ring?

Dont worry about it, if you liked it then thats great...i did like it too.
I always said it...Tom King is a good writer...he is just awful when he writes anything batman related.

I dont get why but he seems to lose the most basic fundamentals in the batman universe, the stuff you see him doing in Superman up in the sky for example or in Heroes in Crisis which didnt live up to it but had the right basics.

He is someone who works best when he can work on characters like Superman, Vision...i think he might be good with Booster Gold or Supergirl...oh i could see him do well with Wonder Woman.

King's run, to me, is everything I think a Batman run should be: emotional, psychologically complex, noirish, etc. It's no wonder he keeps winning Eisners for his work on the title. So, yeah, I couldn't disagree more, but to each their own.

Ahhh, it’s out?! Is that the Wal-Mart one? I heard they were gonna give that a proper release then never heard another thing about it. Gotta check it out as I was very curious about a Tom King Superman. Glad to hear you’re loving it!

Yep, Up in the Sky has been reprinted as a six-issue miniseries, along w/ the other two Walmart Giant stories, Amanda Conner's Wonder Woman: Come Back to Me and Nick Derington's Batman Universe respectively.

DC has been collecting Peter David's run on Supergirl (Vol 4). So far, four books have been released up to #43. Will they be collecting the rest (#44-74)?

Finally saw Captain Marvel. I thought it was a very good movie and I really liked the end where Yon-Rogg challenged her to take him down without her powers and she blasted him with them, and then said she has nothing to prove to him. I thought that was great and I did not see it coming.

Now, I'm not gonna be the guy to say "I told you so...".

At least not until you check out the Batman: Universe book by Bendis and Nick Derington.

Up In The Sky has been great. I guess it'll be in issue 3 or 4 of the mini, but there's a team-up with Sgt. Rock and Easy Co. that is just wonderful.

I feel like I've been waiting ages for the rest of Sideways to come out as a trade and today it happened!
I'm gonna wait a bit longer though cuz I just Know There’s a DC sale around the corner which Will bring the price down quite Nice.

What exactly is the Wonder Woman: Year One Deluxe Edition? The only difference I can find between the DE and the regular Year One trade is the DE contains WW Annual 1. And the DE is hardcover. I have no problem double dipping if they include some cool content not in the trade. But if it's just a extra story in HC format I might just pass or wait and see if they do a PB version.

I feel like I've been waiting ages for the rest of Sideways to come out as a trade and today it happened!
I'm gonna wait a bit longer though cuz I just Know There’s a DC sale around the corner which Will bring the price down quite Nice.
Goodness gracious. I need to read Sideways. I read the first issue and liked it but then never read any more. It had a fun early 90’s Spider-Man vibe to it. Unfortunately it just got off my radar.

Y
Goodness gracious. I need to read Sideways. I read the first issue and liked it but then never read any more. It had a fun early 90’s Spider-Man vibe to it. Unfortunately it just got off my radar.
Yeah I agree about the Spider-Man vibes. I Really enjoyed the six or so first issues and was sad to see it get cancelled.
I'm pretty sure he Will turn up somewhere else though in the future. He was briefly seen in Heroes in Crisis so that means that he isn't forgotten.

I really can't believe I am saying this again but I am really liking Superman: Year One. I think I want a sequel to it.

Yup, me too...i dont know how to handle that i enjoy the hell out of it.

So, what has King done now?
The usual critcism and call for end and forget his run got extremely loud in the last 24 hours or so and the term shock value for the sake of it has been thrown around a lot.
Let me guess, he killed off a character?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"