The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
With him finishing on Deathstroke soon, who would posters here like Priest to write next? Personally, i would like to see him write Batman, Nightwing, Ra's al Ghul, Lex Luthor or Sinestro.

As a Nightwing fan, I’ll take anything. I’ve fallen way behind on the book because its been tough to get through. Plus Priest is great.

I have been rereading Sinestro Corps War for the first time in a good while and it has been ok, IMO, but I have not enjoyed it as much as Secret Origin. Sinestro has been the highlight so far, just like he was in Secret Origin. I am not finished yet though.

Nice...but i have become warily of such things...announcing a creative team is fine and all, but i dont throw my money at them just because of great names anymore.
First they need to deliver before i put my money into the main Batman series again.

While I can totally understand, I really cannot think of anything that Tynion has worked on that I haven’t found to be solid gold. He and Tomasi are my 2 favorites going today and to have one on Batman and one on Detective at the same time is a dream come true.

I will throw out that I’d love to see King take one of the Superman titles from Bendis. Reading Up in the Sky really showcases that he gets the character and King’s introspective style fits with someone like Supes well.

Gonna have to pass on Tynion's BATMAN. I tried jumping into his Detective Comics run twice and couldn't get a feel for it. The same goes for his Justice League Dark run.

What I'm going to miss about King's run, though it will still be present in Bat/Cat, is the craftsmanship of his books. From the pacing of his stories, to use of panel grids, restrained and subtle dialogue, everything feels crafted with intent. Aside from his first arc, his book never veered toward the typical. Love him or hate him, King has a style rarely seen in modern superhero comics anymore.

I'm also leery of the fact that Snyder and his crew have full reign over the Justice League books AND Batman now.

Power Rangers/TMNT crossover begins this December.

o9zmfh1po6o31.jpg

Gonna have to pass on Tynion's BATMAN. I tried jumping into his Detective Comics run twice and couldn't get a feel for it. The same goes for his Justice League Dark run.

What I'm going to miss about King's run, though it will still be present in Bat/Cat, is the craftsmanship of his books. From the pacing of his stories, to use of panel grids, restrained and subtle dialogue, everything feels crafted with intent. Aside from his first arc, his book never veered toward the typical. Love him or hate him, King has a style rarely seen in modern superhero comics anymore.

I'm also leery of the fact that Snyder and his crew have full reign over the Justice League books AND Batman now.

Wow. This is so interesting. I’ve found Tynion’s Tec run to be a blast, especially his ability to juggle and showcase the various members of the Bat Family. And I absolutely adore JL Dark, and that’s a sentence I never thought I’d write. I guess everyone has different opinions though and I definitely respect yours even though I would disagree.

I am curious why you’d refer to Tomasi and Tynion as “Snyder’s crew?” I see them as polar opposites. Maybe there’s something in their histories I am not aware of.

I do agree with your assessment of King. I’ve grown to love his run, even though it took me a long time to warm up to his style. You are right that it is entirely unique and he is nothing like we’ve ever seen in comics. All that said, I totally understand why some people wouldn’t like it. Like I said it took me a while to aclamate but now I love his work and really look forward to it every two weeks

For all his talent, in the end it was the wrong thing to write just a batcat romance in a lengthy batman run.
And that is all Kings run is if you are honest.
Nothing else really sticks because King himself didnt want to write anything to begin with.
Which would be okay...but we got "promised" something more, incredible storys with deep characters and devlopment, mystery and crime.

Knocking bruce left and right down so that he is kind of needy and lonely except he is with selina...is not deep.
Making everybody look suddenly like bumbling fools next to selina...is not great development.
He sacrificed all potential just for a batcat story like some kind of fanfiction writer.
His arcs ended being empty and lifeless, without any purpose outside of isolating Bruce.

Its a great run for batcat fans and maybe i will go back to it in a year or so and find some enjoyment in it...but to me it wasnt what i was expecting with someone as great as Tom King.

Mani it is totally hilarious that I agree with you, but I am also ok with it from a storytelling perspective.

I’d say that I’m better with Batcat than I am with faceoff Joker, Harper, Gordon Superheavy Bat and 70% of the junk we got from Snyder.

I will say that I hated the first I Am Bane story where Bane totally incompasitated Dick Jason and the other Robins but not Selina. (I don’t see Selina being a more difficult target than Dick and Jason).

That was a stupid move.

Mani it is totally hilarious that I agree with you, but I am also ok with it from a storytelling perspective.

I’d say that I’m better with Batcat than I am with faceoff Joker, Harper, Gordon Superheavy Bat and 70% of the junk we got from Snyder.

That absolutly.
When you have a run like snyders that goes from one extreme to the other, its fantastic when you have King with arcs that are not this over the top.
The ideas were all there and god damn i waited long for someone to make Bane the overarching villian of a run.

But its all just background for Kings actual Targeted goal.
And that is my big problem.
Its not even batcat overall, i like it sometimes...its just nothing that gets me super excited anymore because i know that it always ends in nothing.
No matter what, they both end at the same road they were before...because you can not do much more with them without ruining who they are.
Therefore i cant get behind it too much...i like the cat and mouse game they play, the tension etc...but it always ends the same way because of who they are.

My problem is that its all more or less written to fit an outdated version of Bruce.
The one who is "alone", has nobody, where being batman is a curse...where wearing the cowl is agony and makes him unhappy.
Where he is emotionally cut off from everybody...except selina.

That to me is a bruce wayne from 15-20 years ago, not the one in the here and now.
Now we have a Bruce that trusts his family, his friends, who is Batman because he wants to and because he sees the symbol of good in wearing the cowl.
The man who uses the pain of his parents death and every loss and pain for the good fight.

I dont know, maybe i had way too high hopes for Kings run and give him less room than other writers on this.

Wow. This is so interesting. I’ve found Tynion’s Tec run to be a blast, especially his ability to juggle and showcase the various members of the Bat Family. And I absolutely adore JL Dark, and that’s a sentence I never thought I’d write. I guess everyone has different opinions though and I definitely respect yours even though I would disagree.

I am curious why you’d refer to Tomasi and Tynion as “Snyder’s crew?” I see them as polar opposites. Maybe there’s something in their histories I am not aware of.

I do agree with your assessment of King. I’ve grown to love his run, even though it took me a long time to warm up to his style. You are right that it is entirely unique and he is nothing like we’ve ever seen in comics. All that said, I totally understand why some people wouldn’t like it. Like I said it took me a while to aclamate but now I love his work and really look forward to it every two weeks

I've had issues with JL Dark since the New52 because I thought the characters involved lent themselves to more than just "superheroes punching monsters", especially when you compare some of them to their Vertigo counterparts. This isn't necessarily Tynion's fault, but all of the characters feel watered down.

I actually REALLY liked the JL Dark annual that came out a few weeks ago, partly because it was co-written by Ram V, who is shaping up to be a solid writer.

But I could not get into Detective Comics for the life of me. I tried when Rebirth started, and I tried when A Lonely Place of Living began, and I never felt compelled to carry on with it.

"Snyder's Crew" - I admit in hindsight that that came off way more negatively than I intended. I just meant that Tynion is part of Snyder's circle of writers, and it bugs me that they're basically holding hostage the JLA, all of the Dark characters, and now Batman. And if Snyder, Tynion, or Williamson gets JSA, I'm going to scream.

I also don't like Tomasi's Detective Comics, which surprises even me because his Nightwing run during RIP was what made me a Nightwing fan, and i loved much of his B&R and Superman runs. Superman Reborn is one of my all time favorite Superman stories. But his Detective run now feels like a kid playing with action figures with obnoxiously melodramatic dialogue AND his first arc was just cheap.

::shrugs::

What are everyone's favorite New Gods stories? After re-reading Mister Miracle and recently checking out Simonson's Orion omnibus, I've realized I haven't read much of them outside of their guest-spots in other books.

I loved Joker's Best Friend by Tynion from back in 2014/2015, and thought it was a very creepy, intense and psychological Joker story. I have also enjoyed his other work on Batman and appreciate his attention to detail. In ways, he does come across as Snyder-lite to me, I must say. That said, I expect to enjoy his run.

What are everyone's favorite New Gods stories? After re-reading Mister Miracle and recently checking out Simonson's Orion omnibus, I've realized I haven't read much of them outside of their guest-spots in other books.
Funny, I had the same experience. I love Darkseid War and Mister Miracle is a triumph. But I haven’t read much of them aside from interactions with the Justice League. I’d gladly take suggestions

Did anybody read Harleen? I kind of like it but at the same time it feels like a drawn and written Joker/harley fanfiction...dont really know what to think about it but it has me interested.

White Knight continues to be such a cool story, im loving it and i continue to like the way Murphy writes.
He would have been one of my top choices for taking over the batman series, but i dont know how he feels about it.
He has his own pace and stuff.

Batman/Superman is nice but i start to get tired of the Batman who laughs and the dark multiverse.

Detective Comics started a Mr Freeze arc, which always has my interest.

Wonder Woman is lacking something currently, i dont know what it is but it feels a bit empty at the moment.
While im at the topic, can anybody recomend a Wonder Woman story where Steve Trevor is actually a character...or does something like this not exist?
He is so incredible boring to me and no matter what i have seen in the last 2-3 years, the character doesnt get interesting.
There is nothing there, a good guy soldier that doesnt feel like he has any depth to it.
I want to see if there is more to him.

Which Magneto in the movies do posters here prefer? The one played by Ian McKellan or Michael Fassbender?

Did anybody read Harleen? I kind of like it but at the same time it feels like a drawn and written Joker/harley fanfiction...dont really know what to think about it but it has me interested.

White Knight continues to be such a cool story, im loving it and i continue to like the way Murphy writes.
He would have been one of my top choices for taking over the batman series, but i dont know how he feels about it.
He has his own pace and stuff.

Batman/Superman is nice but i start to get tired of the Batman who laughs and the dark multiverse.

Detective Comics started a Mr Freeze arc, which always has my interest.

Wonder Woman is lacking something currently, i dont know what it is but it feels a bit empty at the moment.
While im at the topic, can anybody recomend a Wonder Woman story where Steve Trevor is actually a character...or does something like this not exist?
He is so incredible boring to me and no matter what i have seen in the last 2-3 years, the character doesnt get interesting.
There is nothing there, a good guy soldier that doesnt feel like he has any depth to it.
I want to see if there is more to him.
I’m loving white knight 2. Loving Detective Comics as well.

Agreed on Batman Who Laughs. Can’t that character just go away???

Which Magneto in the movies do posters here prefer? The one played by Ian McKellan or Michael Fassbender?

Puh, tough question...i think both have something special to them.
But i would go with Fassbender, something about him feels more "powerful" in terms of his presence.

I’m loving white knight 2. Loving Detective Comics as well.

Agreed on Batman Who Laughs. Can’t that character just go away???

He is a good example what happens if you drag out a event character too long.
He is not a bad character at all, but he brings nothing new to the table after metal.
The character loses so much steam the longer he is around, which hurts the story because that would be a interesting take.
The whole dark multiverse is a nice idea, but putting so much focus on the batman who laughs for so long...is taking away a lot from the rest.

I love both Magnetos, but Fassbender is my favourite too. It is hard for me to currently articulate all the reasons why as I would have to re-watch the movies, but one reason I remember is that I think Fassbender's version comes across as more human and vulnerable to me (not sayings that Ians doesn't comes across that way, he does, albeit to a lesser extent). At the same time, and again, unfortunately I cannot articulate or explain in a way that it is interesting or worthwhile, he still comes across as cooler and more bad-ass to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"