The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about dropping the Superman comics too @Babillygunn , i just cant be bothered to care to be honest about it.
The art is nice and all and some panels are pretty good, but for the most part its awful.
Bendis has ruined a fantastic state the characters had, just for the sake of his incredible selfish writing that benefits his canon, his characters, his style.

I may have mentioned it before "once" :D: :hehe: that i dropped Kings Batman which still surprises me how easy it felt.
Yeah i do sometimes miss not reading a "Batman" comic, but i have Detective Comics for my Batman needs, but still, it does feel awkward after so many years only having one series of the caped crusader on my constant reading list.

One thing i was surprised that im still sticking with it is probably Aquaman.
Never thought i would be this excited for every new issue.
I mean not just normal excited...i mean really excited.
Batgirl is also one i keep going despite me not saying a lot about it.
Its just something neat and small i keep around for because somehow i do enjoy it, even if its nothing too special.
Something i didnt thought would be after the new 52.

Last edited:
I was just thinking about this for my own reading:

What titles have you given up on (or are on the verge of giving up on) recently that you are surprised about?

And conversely what titles do you still read religiously that you would never have thought you would still be reading?

For me, I am probably dropping Superman and Action Comics. I cannot believe this given how much I loved the Superman title when Tomasi was writing it. Bendis has undone all of the parts of the character that made him so alluring and interesting. He destroyed Jon, regressed Lois to a one dimensional character and has pushed uninteresting villains with whom I am totally uninvested.

To the other extreme, had you have told me four years ago that I would look forward to Red Hood and the Outlaws as much as I have post-Rebirth, I’d have said you were crazy.

I’m only on vol 1 of both Action and Superman by Bendis, haven’t reached my breaking point yet. I am 100% with you on RHATO. That was/is such a fun read.

I’ll say Nightwing for books I’ve pretty much given up on. I took a little break from Daredevil (my all-time favorite character) but slowly been catching up recently, same for Batman and Detective.

I’ve given up on Tom King’s Batman. I’ve never given up on any Batman run before. It started off mediocre, and just fell off a cliff. Just a terrible run, and it’s friggin 100 issues. :cmad:
Sounds like how I felt with Bendis on Superman.

I am still shocked they are allowing Bendis to reveal who Superman is to the world. They got rid of New 52 Superman because of that point and now they are doing it again no more than 4 years later. As I have said before I loved him on Ultimate Spider-Man and I am grateful that he gave us Miles but I hate what he has done to Superman and he has really killed the book to the point it is almost becoming unfixable without a complete reboot of the series. With New 52 Superman you could've fixed it by Manhunter doubling as Superman or the other Superman doing that. But this (what is going on now) is a complete mess.

Thinking about dropping the Superman comics too @Babillygunn
One thing i was surprised that im still sticking with it is probably Aquaman.
Never thought i would be this excited for every new issue.
I mean not just normal excited...i mean really excited.

I have been wanting to revisit Aquaman. It really started out with a bang in Rebirth and was one of my favorite titles. I followed it closely up through the Corum Rath storyline, which was awesome even if it dragged on a little long and got too “magical”. But after Drowned Earth, I have lost interest. It got too weird.

Why are they still giving books to Jr. Jr.? His work is the worst...the fight scene with the family against Bane in the cave was the worst I've seen in a long while...now way to tell where the punches came from etc...wooden..

Why are they still giving books to Jr. Jr.? His work is the worst...the fight scene with the family against Bane in the cave was the worst I've seen in a long while...now way to tell where the punches came from etc...wooden..

Uh that brings me to something...who do you guys think draws the best fight scenes in the business?

And a second question, did anybody read marvel zombies and can tell me if DCs Deceased is better or so?
I heard a lot of good about Marvel zombies so i was kind of excited for DCs version...but somehow it felt a bit...empty.

Last edited:
Uh that brings me to something...who do you guys think draws the best fight scenes in the business?

And a second question, did anybody read marvel zombies and can tell me if DCs Deceased is better or so?
I heard a lot of good about Marvel zombies so i was kind of excited for DCs version...but somehow it felt a bit...empty.

Haven't read DCeased yet. Marvel Zombies was solid. It was entertaining and fun.

Best fights might go to Capullo. Though I do see Joelle Jones as an up and comer

Off the top of my head...Daredevil vs Bullseye in Daredevil #500 by David Aja and Daredevil vs Bullseye from Daredevil #172 by Frank Miller. Marcos Martin’s action flows very well too.

Is anyone else reading Harleen and/or Joker/Harley: Criminal Insanity?

I adore the former. I couldn't put book two down and love what Sejic is doing in exploring who Harley is as a person and what led to her descent into madness. I feel like other Harley stories offer only a trivial telling of her origins.

J/H: CI features great art that's quite reminiscent of Batman: Damned (almost thought it was the same artist), and while the story is also engaging in its own way, I feel like Kami Garcia is a bit hung up on the "sexism in the workplace" shtick. Look, I know it's not always easy for women dealing with older guys who've been at it for a while but geez, do we really need an entire page of dialogue devoted to it?

Me waiting for Tom King's terrible Batman run to end:

AakV8at.gif

It’s so funny to me that I hated King early on (especially after War of Jokes and Riddles) but absolutely love his run since. Where as he was toast of the town back then now everyone seems to hate him.

But yeah, Bendis is really chapping my hide with the junk he has pulled with Superman.

It’s so funny to me that I hated King early on (especially after War of Jokes and Riddles) but absolutely love his run since. Where as he was toast of the town back then now everyone seems to hate him.

But yeah, Bendis is really chapping my hide with the junk he has pulled with Superman.

Its funny, im the complete opposite on King.
I was so hyped for his run and all, but the more issues he wrote, the less i liked it...now im just glad that the year is almost over and he will be gone soon and we can forget about his run.
I looked into Batman 82 and yeah it doesnt get better for me, i find the dialogue alone so cringeworthy and bad, so without character...its interesting to see how different people feel about his writing and run in general.

Bendis, yeah i think there is everything said...but it seems to not end with the guy.
Are the sales so good or does nobody want to take over...i havent heard a single soul say that they like his Run so far.
Alone what he did to Jon pissed off so many people...with king, there is a end soon...but with Bendis, it feels like the guy gets more and more to work with.

On the note of me having looked into Batman 82, im just saying it right now since i noticed it too when reading batman universe...i ****ing hate the underwear look.
It makes it all look like the stories take place in some weird 1960s setting, it just looks so dumb to me and doesnt fit the tone of anything.
Funny enough the look works for Superman and im liking it again, but for Batman it just looks dumb to me...i dont like it.

I never thought this day would come but I am no longer going to buy Superman comics. I just can't read anymore what Bendis is doing to a character I have loved since the age of 4. I just can't look at it anymore. As I have said before for DC to fix the mess he has made with the books they will need to do a complete reboot of Superman or OMD it and even then you would have to erase his entire run. So from now on unless they are doing more Superman: Earth One stories I am done and will just read my old books.

Revealing his identity really annoys me, it's what separates him from generic mythical heroes. Living as both a superhuman and an ordinary human he can be the best of both.

Revealing his identity really annoys me, it's what separates him from generic mythical heroes. Living as both a superhuman and an ordinary human he can be the best of both.
Not only that you just did it with New 52 Superman (where you had a few ways out of the story if you wanted with post-crisis Superman or MM clamming to be Superman/Clark ) and then decided hey we want to go another route so ended it and killed him off (in a matter of speaking) in the process but in a respectful way that kept and merged the good parts of Post-Crisis with New 52. However, now they are redoing it with a writer who most of the fan base seems to dislike with no way out of the storyline but for a complete reboot if it all fails. Not only that the way Bendis has treated Clark his entire run he pretty much cuckold him.

Havent read the issue yet and wont have time the next 3 days or so but i assume it will be the final one for a while...im already waiting for the final blow before i drop bendis run.

Speaking of bendis
From what i have seen, mera and Arthur become parents in Februar...quick get bendis to Ruin the aquababy right away XD
No seriously, im Kind of excited for this.
Feels like the natural step forward for aquaman

Last edited:
I never thought this day would come but I am no longer going to buy Superman comics. I just can't read anymore what Bendis is doing to a character I have loved since the age of 4. I just can't look at it anymore. As I have said before for DC to fix the mess he has made with the books they will need to do a complete reboot of Superman or OMD it and even then you would have to erase his entire run. So from now on unless they are doing more Superman: Earth One stories I am done and will just read my old books.

Agree completely. I gave up 2 issues ago and I cannot believe that I quit reading Superman.

Also I feel like Earth One fizzled out after the first issue and a half. If you haven’t been reading Superman Up in the Sky you really need to be. If you are a fan of the core of what makes that character great (and I know you are), then you’ll absolutely love it

Last edited:
Anyone reading Flash Forward? After a slow start in the first issue, the second issue was absolutely fun. Lobell is the definition of “mixed bag” when it comes to writing, but when he is in his fun mode as opposed to his frat boy mode he is a blast to read. This newest issue is him hitting his stride

Agree completely. I gave up 2 issues ago and I cannot believe that I quit reading Superman.

Also I feel like Earth One fizzled our afternoon the first issue and a half. If you haven’t been reading Superman Up in the Sky you really need to be. If you are a fan of the core of what makes that character great (and I know you are), then you’ll absolutely love it
Oh I am reading that. I was hoping they would make some more Superman: Earth One stories but I think DC gave up or stopped the Earth One brand. To be honest though I was just hoping for some good stories before this whole 5G rumor kicks off and Bendis just ruined it in a major way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"