The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 1

Discussion in 'DC Comics' started by Thread Manager, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

Exactly :up:

2. Calvin Ellis Kal-El of Earth 23

All the Earth One books also have been great because for me if you liked or loved Man of Steel you'll like the Superman books. Batman's books are a good take on the origin of Batman and I was amazed by how much I liked the first GL story because I was never that big of a GL fan but his book was good as well. The only one that took time for me to enjoy was Wonder Woman mainly because of how wacky it is but then again that's Morrison for you.

3. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

I'm always up for a Crisis event, so when that comes I'll buy it. But unless there's something that really pulls me in (like Flashpoint did for some of the New 52) I can't see me bothering with 5G. Not swearing a blood-oath that I won't, but there'll have to be something there that really impresses me.

Calvin Ellis likes this.
  4. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

I don’t want 5G to happen, but to the extent that it has been set up by Flash Forward, I am probably entrenched.

5. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

I haven't read Flash Forward yet. Is that the one that spins out of Heroes in Crisis?

6. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

Yes. And it is actually a pretty enjoyable follow up. It’s the next chapter in Wally’s story, and has a pretty wild ending that apparently leads into the upcoming Generation Zero.

7. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

Sounds cool. Is it the sort of thing that might get its own trade?

8. flickchick85 Admin of Might

I don’t really keep up with the big events, but I’ve gotta say nothing I’m hearing about 5G sounds like a good idea, lol. And is it weird and paranoid of me to think AT&T intentionally made it sound like a cellular data promotion as some weird form of synergy? :funny:

9. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

I’m not sure. But I would think that it should. It is a pretty important lead up to the upcoming events. In truth, I was kind of surprised that they put Scott Lobdell on it, given it’s supposed significance.

I’d think you’d like it. It’s a cool mash up of Wally West, multiple earths, dark matter and some Metron/Mobius Chair references thrown in. Plus there is a strong Dr. Manhattan influence. Between your love of Crisis stories and having just finished HiC and Doomsday Clock, I’d think this would make sense for you.

Calvin Ellis and Milk Tray Guy like this.
  10. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

:funny:

I'm sold! Thanks :up:

Calvin Ellis likes this.
  11. Mani-Man Registered

Flash Forward is something i desperatly want to read, but i havent found the time...but man am i getting more and more hyped for it.

As for 5G...no im not a fan.
    I am far more open to going forward now than i ever was, rebirth did a lot to change my mindset to that.
    Damian, Jon were the driving force for that...but then came king and bendis and ruined this completely.
    What good rebirth did is gone by now and i dont trust anybody to make such a huge step and not mess up.
    Nothing against the writers and artists, but i just dont trust anybody right now to do the 5G how we would "need" it.
    We will see but as it stands, i dont have much faith in 5G.

12. CrimsonMist Registered

Flash Forward was surprisingly very good. I hate Brett Booth's artwork, and the writing is a little overwrought, but I'll be damned if that ending didn't surprise me in the best way possible. Overall, it was a fun book, made better by the fact that it's basically a C-List book that holds a significant level of importance for DC going forward, that I strongly recommend checking out.

Regarding 5G, after Flashpoint, Convergence, Rebirth, and Doomsday Clock, I wish DC would cut it out with these line-wide continuity reshuffles. 5G seems to exist to sort out the post-Doomsday Clock world, and while I'm interested in that, I wish they would just let writers tell the stories they want to tell, with ready access the last 80 years of continuity. I'd much prefer to let that stuff creep in organically like it has through Rebirth (which worked well divorced from Doomsday Clock) rather than forcing writers to interrupt, or cut short, the stories they're trying to tell. For better or worse, I think this would be the best way to handle things. Stop turning this stuff into vapid events about "stories".

I mean, Robert Venditti finally got through with sorting out Hawkman, who seems to be the biggest casualty EVERY TIME DC does something like this.

Just leave it be.

13. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

I'd have thought it made more sense for DC to run 5G alongside their current stuff, as they did with the New Age of Heroes initiative. Granted not everything in that was a success, but that's my point. Some of those NAoH titles/characters didn't resonate with readers, sales dropped, and sooner or later they got cancelled (some definitely sooner); but it didn't cause any real problems because the ongoing stuff was still there. NAoH was presented as an alternative, not as 'this is all there is - take it or leave it'. Which - if that's what they're doing - seems pretty shortsighted, given the extent of the changes they're talking about here. Talk about putting all your eggs in one basket :dry:

Babillygunn and flickchick85 like this.
  14. Calvin Ellis Kal-El of Earth 23

Agreed which is why I say they should make the Earth One line ongoing or always thought it should've been that way. I might check out the 5G but it would be nice to have options incase I don't like it. Just like how it would be nice to have options for the Superman books right now. As I have always said if they were to reboot the DCU or make these drastic changes I would've loved to have seen a Val-Zod or Calvin Ellis ongoing. Similar to what was planned for DC after COIE was done but abandon.

15. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

I actually would have loved to have seen the Titans advanced more. It was one of my favorite Rebirth books, until the Justice League came in and acted like a bunch of self righteous jerks. That was another failure of editorial leadership on DC’s part.

16. TheVileOne Registered

New 52 was a disaster and abomination save for a few exceptions.

The best book to come out of New 52 was JLI and they cancelled it after about a year.

17. NDX Walking with Elias.

I'm still a fan of Snyder's Swamp Thing and Lemire's Animal Man.

18. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Ditto on Animal Man. And I also loved both Morrison and Pak's runs on Action Comics and Azzarello's Wonder Woman. The New 52 had its gems, imo.

NDX likes this.
  19. Mani-Man Registered

Yup, you had 70% or so that was bad but the rest was really great.
    Okay they have ruined superman and wonder woman team ups with their weird as hell car crash of a romance in the new 52, but in general i was really happy with a lot of books in the new 52.

Sure rebirth was imo far better, but i never thought new 52 was THAT bad.

20. MMMMM...Pancakes Cena Wins LOL

Those were two of my favorites of the Nu52.

NDX likes this.
  21. Calvin Ellis Kal-El of Earth 23

I personally loved the New 52 especially Superman once the whole team started talking and working together. The main problem with Superman was they should've given Morrison both books to start the series with since he wasn't telling anyone his plans for Superman's past and history to avoid leaks. So all the other writers were for the most part just playing catch up until he left the book. But I liked the Superman/Wonder Woman relationship but hated how they broke them up. I always felt if you put those two together the best way to do their break is like in The Death of Superman movie where it was just off screen and they remained friends. I also loved how they showed why Lois and Clark never got together (for those who missed the issue they had a date scheduled but at the last minute there was a big emergency that required Superman's help right when he was about to enter for their date and he had to leave which is how Lois met her ex). Once again I can understand why some people didn't like New 52 Superman but given the backstory to it and how some changes to moments we thought were so little (aside from the Kents death) could actually impact his whole life. The only thing I really disliked about New 52 Superman was the suit mainly because it was coming out so close to Man of Steel and I always thought they should've just given Superman the movie suit. But I did like how they explained it worked and how it made sense for a man to be wearing his outfit under his clothes.

22. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

I didn't read much Superman solo stuff but that's interesting.

Ditto. It always made sense to me that Superman and Wonder Woman would get together.

Calvin Ellis likes this.
  23. Calvin Ellis Kal-El of Earth 23

That's what really hurt New 52 Superman IMO because you have him acting one way in Action and another in Justice League and Superman. The problem was the team wasn't talking to one another meaning Morrison kept Johns and Perez and Jurgens in the dark and the books suffered because nothing was lining up until Daniels took over.

Milk Tray Guy likes this.
  24. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

That makes perfect sense.

25. MMMMM...Pancakes Cena Wins LOL

Nu52 Superman made me appreciate Post Crisis Superman a lot more. I went back and read some of the older runs on the character and he became one of my favorite characters.

Calvin Ellis likes this.