The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the timescale for Batman was crazy. Condensing so much into such a brief (so far) career made no sense.

Can someone tell me which artist this is from please?

@MovieSlave I found that pic online with the following caption,

Batman versus his nemesis The Joker super work by Gabriele Dell Otto.

Can't say answer for how reliable that is though :yay:

Anyway, here's Dell Otto's Wikipedia entry

Gabriele Dell'Otto - Wikipedia

Edit: Looking at some other artwork online credited to him, the signature seems to match.

Last edited:
@MovieSlave I found that pic online with the following caption,

Batman versus his nemesis The Joker super work by Gabriele Dell Otto.

Can't say answer for how reliable that is though :yay:

Anyway, here's Dell Otto's Wikipedia entry

Gabriele Dell'Otto - Wikipedia

Edit: Looking at some other artwork online credited to him, the signature seems to match.

Thanks! I can't remember why I was looking up Batman vs Joker pics but when I came across that I had to have it as my phone background.

Nu52 Superman made me appreciate Post Crisis Superman a lot more. I went back and read some of the older runs on the character and he became one of my favorite characters.
I want to read more stories from the late 80s and early 90s outside of his Death. Those are the only Supes trades I own.

wasn’t New 52 Batman supposed to be
the villain (Omega) of Last Knight on Earth?
If I understand that correctly, that kind of ruins New 52 Bruce

wasn’t New 52 Batman supposed to be
the villain (Omega) of Last Knight on Earth?
If I understand that correctly, that kind of ruins New 52 Bruce
He was, but I don't think future tales count as main continuity, do they? I think they're possible futures. At least that's how I see them.

He was, but I don't think future tales count as main continuity, do they? I think they're possible futures. At least that's how I see them.
Yes but because it was Snyder and Capullo, it’s hard to put it out of mind

The one thing I will say about New 52 is in regards to Batman they should've went the movie route since they wanted to have their cake and eat in too meaning you just make him older than the rest of the heroes (not harder and bitter, just older) if you were not going to start over and like what the Superman comics did and make one comic set in the past and one set in the present. That way people wouldn't have been asking how did Batman have all those Robins in a 5 year span and all the other questions that were being asked. Because really for the history they had for Batman he should've been 40 while the rest should've been 21-25.
Wait, he wasn't even in his 30s?

Wait, he wasn't even in his 30s?
All the heroes were supposed to be in their early 20's during Justice League Origin . At the very most because of the 5 year jump after that story it would put Batman at 30 years old which is why it confused so many people.

After 20 some years of religiously buying comics every Wednesday, New 52 had me essentially quit and I didn't pick anything up until I started working in a comic shop. I can handle change, and even a bad run of comics, but they removed the foundations of these characters and it made me completely lose interest. There was some good stuff, obviously, but it didn't require the New 52 to do it. Thank god for Rebirth.

After 20 some years of religiously buying comics every Wednesday, New 52 had me essentially quit and I didn't pick anything up until I started working in a comic shop.
That's a shame, although I am incredibly envious you got to work in a comic shop.

That's a shame, although I am incredibly envious you got to work in a comic shop.
I loved it. And miss it terribly. But I found a too good to be true job in my other passion: music. I had the privilege of using the comic shop as a library and I discovered so much new stuff I never would have otherwise exposed myself to.

I loved it. And miss it terribly. But I found a too good to be true job in my other passion: music. I had the privilege of using the comic shop as a library and I discovered so much new stuff I never would have otherwise exposed myself to.
That sounds awesome all round :yay:

The New52 chased me away from DC. Month 1, I bought about half of the books. Month 2 was half that. Within a year it was just 4 books and by the end, the only book I was reading was Charles Soule's Swamp Thing, which I thought was pretty awful after a while and only bought to support Swamp Thing.

By the time Rebirth started, I wasn't reading any DC at all, aside from Sheriff of Babylon, which was devoid of that taint as it was a Vertigo book.

What the New52 DID allow me to do was invest time and money into older books, like Sword of the Atom, Ostrander's Firestorm run, All-Star Squadron, Infinity Inc and Young All Stars, and Blackhawk.

Again, 5G could be interesting if done right. But at this point, just put EVERYTHING on the table, and let writers pick & choose what they want to use to tell a story. For example, I'm BEYOND ecstatic that Tom King is eschewing all of the New52 nonsense that affected Adam Strange for his Strange Adventures book. More of that would be great.

I’m really looking forward to King’s Strange Adventures. I finally got around to reading his Batman after loving everything else he’s written, and I’m enjoying that as well and not really getting the hate, so I guess I’m just a Tom King fan.

I completely forgot Strange Adventures #1 is out today. :doh:

Also, White Knight Deluxe Edition is finally available (today too).

One issue in, Strange Adventures is already giving me shades of BOTH Mister Miracle and Omega Men, and I am here for it! :up:

I hope DC is listening to the Superman fans and working on getting Bendis off the books. Even though what he has done to the books can only now be undone with a OMD type of story or a complete reboot or just ignoring the last couple of years worth of stories. For me I have just been back reading all the post-crisis and New 52/early rebirth stories. I just can't believe what he did to Jor-El by instead of going the Rebirth route and making him lost out of time. He turned him in to a complete crazy villain who is responsible for the death of Krypton. So how I am reading them now is Post Crisis Superman story ends during Flashpoint and New 52 Superman story ends right before issue 1000 and picks up again and ends with Doomsday clock. Hopefully 5G will have a nice jump on point and a good new team and a good time jump as well to justify the reveal. However the way Bendis has wrote Jon & Conner Kent I'm not looking forward to seeing who replaces Superman either. In 2 years time he has done so much damage to the character that it's hard to see how you can repair it.

Last edited:
I’m really looking forward to King’s Strange Adventures. I finally got around to reading his Batman after loving everything else he’s written, and I’m enjoying that as well and not really getting the hate, so I guess I’m just a Tom King fan.
King got himself in a hole with Batman, because he didn't actually have him marry Catwoman. Strange Adventures is another thing, he will really be pulling something off if he makes Hawkman's buddy Adam Strange a top selling solo act.

King got himself in a hole with Batman, because he didn't actually have him marry Catwoman. Strange Adventures is another thing, he will really be pulling something off if he makes Hawkman's buddy Adam Strange a top selling solo act.
Should've never had Batman propose unless you plan on having Bruce retire like James Bond.

I wish there were a way to retcon Superman back to what he was immediately after Rebirth with Tomasi. Leave Jon at 10 years old; explore Clark’s growth as he parents an adolescent; explore Lois’ maternal side more in depth; and I would rehabilitate the Jor el storyline by having the “Mr Oz” Jor el not be the real Jor el at all. Let’s face it, sucking all of the nobility out of Jor El was something no one really wanted to see happen.

I wish there were a way to retcon Superman back to what he was immediately after Rebirth with Tomasi. Leave Jon at 10 years old; explore Clark’s growth as he parents an adolescent; explore Lois’ maternal side more in depth; and I would rehabilitate the Jor el storyline by having the “Mr Oz” Jor el not be the real Jor el at all. Let’s face it, sucking all of the nobility out of Jor El was something no one really wanted to see happen.
Here's the thing they even Rebirth didn't take away the nobility of Jor-El. It made him regret sending Kal-El to Earth when he saw or felt it was evil but he was still Jor-El trying to understand everything that has happened. The nobility was sucked out when Bendis made him responsible for the death of Krypton and made him crazy. That's what really messed things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"