The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey @Babillygunn. Could you please clear something up for me? In Heroes in Crisis it seemed that both Barry and Wally were operating under the name the Flash. Is that right? Were there two Flashes 'running around' (so to speak)? (I don't generally read Flash solo stuff)
That’s right. After Flashpoint, Wally disappeared. Wally remained out of the comics until Rebirth when he reappeared in DC Rebirth 1. He was lauded as the picture of hope, but everything pre Flashpoint was erased: Jai and Iris were erased, and his marriage to Linda Park was no longer recognized.

Barry was Flash in the solo book and in Justice League. Wally was Flash in Titans.
Heroes in Crisis and Flash Forward were a bit meta inasmuch as it was pretty clear that DC brought Wally back as a big deal but then didn’t know what to do with him. The character Wally even remarks In Heroes in Crisis that he came back but lacked purpose. (Titans even has some strange stories where Wally has a heart attack. And then eventually the Justice League inexplicably shut the Titans down in what appeared to be one of the most hypocritical moves possible.)

so yes, both Barry and Wally were Flashes, but Barry was the main Flash and recognized as Flash even though Wally was technically Flash as well.

That’s right. After Flashpoint, Wally disappeared. Wally remained out of the comics until Rebirth when he reappeared in DC Rebirth 1. He was lauded as the picture of hope, but everything pre Flashpoint was erased: Jai and Iris were erased, and his marriage to Linda Park was no longer recognized.

Barry was Flash in the solo book and in Justice League. Wally was Flash in Titans.
Heroes in Crisis and Flash Forward were a bit meta inasmuch as it was pretty clear that DC brought Wally back as a big deal but then didn’t know what to do with him. The character Wally even remarks In Heroes in Crisis that he came back but lacked purpose. (Titans even has some strange stories where Wally has a heart attack. And then eventually the Justice League inexplicably shut the Titans down in what appeared to be one of the most hypocritical moves possible.)

so yes, both Barry and Wally were Flashes, but Barry was the main Flash and recognized as Flash even though Wally was technically Flash as well.
Ah, right. Thanks. I knew about the Flashpoint/Rebirth disappearance/reappearance, but not about JL (Barry) Flash/Titans (Wally) Flash existing at the same time. I knew you'd be the man to ask :yay:

That Titans series was trash. I read it for Wally.

And now there's this Titans digital book that I have no idea if it's canon or not.

@Babillygunn, I just finished Infinite Crisis Secret Files and Origins, for the first time (I think) since reading it back in 2006. I mention it because it centres around Superboy-Prime punching the reality wall, causing all those little continuity glitches (an incredibly clever idea, and at the same time one that's utterly stupid :funny:), and I know you like the character.

It's beautifully written by Marv Wolfman (art by Dan Jurgens, with Jerry Ordway, Cam Smith, Art Thibert, and Nelson DeCastro).

If you haven't read it, I think you'd like it. It calls back to that original Superboy-Prime Crisis on Infinite Earths tie-in we talked about a while back, and expands on why he ends up 'going off the deep end' in Infinite Crisis.

@Babillygunn, I just finished Infinite Crisis Secret Files and Origins, for the first time (I think) since reading it back in 2006. I mention it because it centres around Superboy-Prime punching the reality wall, causing all those little continuity glitches (an incredibly clever idea, and at the same time one that's utterly stupid :funny:), and I know you like the character.

It's beautifully written by Marv Wolfman (art by Dan Jurgens, with Jerry Ordway, Cam Smith, Art Thibert, and Nelson DeCastro).

If you haven't read it, I think you'd like it. It calls back to that original Superboy-Prime Crisis on Infinite Earths tie-in we talked about a while back, and expands on why he ends up 'going off the deep end' in Infinite Crisis.
Thanks! I haven’t read it but I’m definitely moving it to the top of my list. I’ll let you know when I do.

Do you know whether it’s on DC Universe?

Ok. So I read Infinite Crisis Secret Files and Origins. This solidified my contention that Superboy Prime is what George Lucas should’ve striven Anakin Skywalker to be. He truly is a tragic character. He is relatable. You can see why he has the anger and resentment that he has and it is truly sad that his villainy really comes from a place of infinite sadness and tremendous loss. But you know that when he does go bad, he is a scenery-chewing force of nature.

interesting that Kal L being preoccupied with ailing Lois played such a huge part in Superboy’s downfall. But that too is relatable. It is easy as the reader to have the knee jerk reaction that Kal L is being selfish, but it is completely understandable and probably somewhat appropriate.

the only unsatisfying part of this origin story is that it doesn’t completely explain the change in character for Alexander that well. Or at least I wasn’t satisfied with the explanation we get.

Thanks for the recommendation though. Now I am going to re read Infinite Crisis again. It has been a couple of years.

Last edited:
Ok. So I read Infinite Crisis Secret Files and Origins. This solidified my contention that Superboy Prime is what George Lucas should’ve striven Anakin Skywalker to be. He truly is a tragic character. You is relatable. You can see why he has the anger and resentment that he has and it is truly sad that his villainy really comes from a place of infinite sadness and tremendous loss. But you know that when he does go bad, he is a scenery-chewing force of nature.

interesting that Kal L being preoccupied with ailing Lois played such a huge part in Superboy’s downfall. But that too is relatable. It is easy as the reader to have the knee jerk reaction that Kal L is being selfish, but it is completely understandable and probably somewhat appropriate.

the only unsatisfying part of this origin story is that it doesn’t completely explain the change in character for Alexander that well. Or at least I wasn’t satisfied with the explanation we get.

Thanks for the recommendation though. Now I am going to re read Infinite Crisis again. It has been a couple of years.
The downfall of Superboy Prime was a good story and sad to see as well as you see Alexander slowly becoming the villain while whispering into Prime's ear.

Just revisited The Man Who Falls (RIP Denny O'Neil) for the first time in a long while, and I'd forgotten how truly good it is. I think it may just be my favourite Batman comics origin story. I'd put it up there with Mask of the Phantasm and Batman Begins.

Anyone else here a fan of TMWF?

Anyone have an newer indie comic recommendations? Haven’t been paying much attention to any newer series in the past year or so.

Just revisited The Man Who Falls (RIP Denny O'Neil) for the first time in a long while, and I'd forgotten how truly good it is. I think it may just be my favourite Batman comics origin story. I'd put it up there with Mask of the Phantasm and Batman Begins.

Anyone else here a fan of TMWF?

Its been a while since I’ve read it, but its great.

Its been a while since I’ve read it, but its great.
I love that it pulls from different sources to create an overall picture. For example, I generally like Batman: Year One, but there are parts of it I'm not so wild about. TMWF takes some of my favourite BYO scenes and drops them in a story that's of the same quality as they are (if that makes sense!).

That Titans series was trash. I read it for Wally.

And now there's this Titans digital book that I have no idea if it's canon or not.
Trash is a pretty strong Word. I actually kind of liked it, especially because I love that lineup. But once Dick was shot and Wally went to therapy for HiC and they were both off the title, then yeah. It was trash after that.

I was seriously ticked off with how the title ended and the months preceding it.

Tom King, Jorge Fornes launch RORSCHACH on DC Black Label - The Beat

hNQeoeN.jpg

I'm always in for another Tom King maxiseries.

Tom King writing a Rorschach book. So it will be 12 issues of Rorschach crying in the shower?

Reactions: NDX
After his run on Batman I will skip any book he writes. Most likely I will avoid that New Gods film if it ever comes out.

After his run on Batman I will skip any book he writes. Most likely I will avoid that New Gods film if it ever comes out.
I am assuming you never read his Mister Miracle, Superman Up in the Sky, or Strange Adventures (so far). If not, I would encourage you to try those out before getting too set in your judgment. While I liked his Batman run quite a bit, I do understand the problems people had with it and can see them as legitimate points. But his other work is universally beloved (with the only possible exception being the controversial Heroes in Crisis, which I struggled with, not because of his writing, but because of the tragic story he told in it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"