The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dynamite do some cool stuff with Red Sonja. I wouldn't mind if Conan ended up there.
Agreed seeing him and Red Sonja together again would be great. But then again even at Dark Horse they would probably be more open to the crossover.

Dynamite do some cool stuff with Red Sonja. I wouldn't mind if Conan ended up there.

Eh, not sure I'd like that. Every time Dynamite gets a character that I like, they ruin it with endless gimmicky crossovers. I'm no more interested in a Red Sonja/Vampirella crossover or a Spirit/Green Hornet crossover than I am in a Conan/Vampirella and Conan/Green Hornet crossover.

That said, if Dynamite landed the character and was able to get Matt Wagner to write a 12 issue series, ala his Zorro, Green Hornet, The Shadow, and Spirit series, I'd be game. But after that, pass.

Eh, not sure I'd like that. Every time Dynamite gets a character that I like, they ruin it with endless gimmicky crossovers. I'm no more interested in a Red Sonja/Vampirella crossover or a Spirit/Green Hornet crossover than I am in a Conan/Vampirella and Conan/Green Hornet crossover.

That said, if Dynamite landed the character and was able to get Matt Wagner to write a 12 issue series, ala his Zorro, Green Hornet, The Shadow, and Spirit series, I'd be game. But after that, pass.
Ah, y'see I like the Vampirella/Red Sonja crossovers :D But then I'm a sucker (no pun intended!) for pretty much anything Vampirella!

I only buy Vampirella comics for the *ahem* covers... :sus

:o

I presume you weren't interested either in the DC crossovers from a while back like Green Lantern/Star Trek and Justice League/Power Rangers? :D

I presume you weren't interested either in the DC crossovers from a while back like Green Lantern/Star Trek and Justice League/Power Rangers? :D

Haha! No, not really, but in regards to the GL/ST book, it was because it was the Abrams-verse Star Trek and not the OG Enterprise crew which would have been way cooler.

But my point is, those crossovers aren't the norm at DC. At Dynamite, they seem to get licenses for characters for the sole purposes of crossing them over. And how many times have they rebooted Vampirella and Green Hornet?

Speaking of Vampirella though: one of my quarantine buys was the Dracula/Vampirella Centennial book from 1997. It has a Dracula story penned by Alan Moore and drawn by Gary Frank, and a Dracula/Vampirella story by James Robinson and David Mack, and a Warren Ellis story. It's got a few Mike Mignola and John Bolton pin-ups. It's pretty great.

Speaking of Vampirella though: one of my quarantine buys was the Dracula/Vampirella Centennial book from 1997. It has a Dracula story penned by Alan Moore and drawn by Gary Frank, and a Dracula/Vampirella story by James Robinson and David Mack, and a Warren Ellis story. It's got a few Mike Mignola and John Bolton pin-ups. It's pretty great.
I've got that book too :up:

Tom King previews 'ambitious' 'Batman/Catwoman': 'It's a story without compromise'
DC Comics February 2021 Solicitations - The Beat

First look at Andrea:

Future slate/5g looks like it could've been good (still hate how they are treating Conner Kent) but like the new 52 it seems like they were trying to have their cake and eat it too. If they were serious about letting the next gen. take over then they should've done that and had Clark and Diana fully retire and not have some books set in the past. Have Clark show up in a John Kent type role where John might come back home to Smallville to ask his dad for advice or see his mom. Much like the New 52 they should've committed fully to this or not at all you can't do half and half and expect it to go over well. If they wanted to keep the classic heroes going start a new line with them in it like Earth One and you could start over there.

Future slate/5g looks like it could've been good (still hate how they are treating Conner Kent) but like the new 52 it seems like they were trying to have their cake and eat it too. If they were serious about letting the next gen. take over then they should've done that and had Clark and Diana fully retire and not have some books set in the past. Have Clark show up in a John Kent type role where John might come back home to Smallville to ask his dad for advice or see his mom. Much like the New 52 they should've committed fully to this or not at all you can't do half and half and expect it to go over well. If they wanted to keep the classic heroes going start a new line with them in it like Earth One and you could start over there.
That sounds like a logical extension of the Tomasi run. Unfortunately Bendis happened. Under Bendis’ watch Jon spent almost as much time with Ultraman living on a hell planet as he did growing up with Clark and we are supposed to believe that it didn’t really impact him. He didn’t need his father between the ages of 10-17. Because those aren’t really consequential ages, right? Jon can grow up without a dad and be just fine.

Wow, DC's really trying to shove Punchline down our throats, aren't they?

Why DC's Punchline Is Poised to Be a Breakout Character | Hollywood Reporter

Honestly, they need to stop with this character and get rid of her. Joker War was the ONLY story she served a purpose in and even then she was nothing but a bland nihilist. Harley was memorable from the start because she was cute and kooky; in short, she had a PERSONALITY. Punchline is nothing but "Joker's right to kill everyone and i want him to kill everyone because screw everything." It's nothing more than DC's equivalent of the "Snowflake and Safespace" controversy in that they're trying to make a character for a specific crowd without understand why that crowd is nothing you should be giving attention to. And that's pathetic. I swear to GOD, they better not try to put her in any of the movies or shows.....

Wow, DC's really trying to shove Punchline down our throats, aren't they?

Why DC's Punchline Is Poised to Be a Breakout Character | Hollywood Reporter

Honestly, they need to stop with this character and get rid of her. Joker War was the ONLY story she served a purpose in and even then she was nothing but a bland nihilist. Harley was memorable from the start because she was cute and kooky; in short, she had a PERSONALITY. Punchline is nothing but "Joker's right to kill everyone and i want him to kill everyone because screw everything." It's nothing more than DC's equivalent of the "Snowflake and Safespace" controversy in that they're trying to make a character for a specific crowd without understand why that crowd is nothing you should be giving attention to. And that's pathetic. I swear to GOD, they better not try to put her in any of the movies or shows.....
Harley worked in small doses. Punchline could work in the same manor. Just don't try and over do it like they did Harley.

Harley worked in small doses. Punchline could work in the same manor. Just don't try and over do it like they did Harley.
No. Harley won over the crowd thanks to having a bubbly personality in the 90s cartoon. Even if you didn't care of the character she had SOMETHING to her. Punchline is just a violent edgelord.

No. Harley won over the crowd thanks to having a bubbly personality in the 90s cartoon. Even if you didn't care of the character she had SOMETHING to her. Punchline is just a violent edgelord.
Agreed but in the same once again she was done in small doses when you give her the Batman/Wolverine treatment which they are doing it starts to become overkill.

Outside of her short story in the Joker 80th anniversary book, which I didnt like at all because it seemed to be a bit morally irresponsible if not completely naive, I've not read any books featuring Punchline. That said, it's as the saying goes: there are no bad characters Just bad writers.

But I think her popularity owes more to speculators driving up demand for her books than any kind of fan response, however positive it may or may not be.

I actually prefer Dark Victory to The Long Halloween. I recommend the Catwoman sidequel When in Rome (by the same team) as well.
Back to this topic, When in Rome is 60 percent off on Comixology right now so I will probably pick it up. Would you recommend to finish DV before reading that or should it be read inbetween certain chapters?

Back to this topic, When in Rome is 60 percent off on Comixology right now so I will probably pick it up. Would you recommend to finish DV before reading that or should it be read inbetween certain chapters?
I read it a little while after I'd finished DV and it was fine :up:

So, Aquamans finale was pretty neat i have to say.
A bit rushed but sweet and well done.

I like this Ghostmaker arc of Batman so far, seems so far like a cool character.

Metal, im completely lost at this point...im just rolling with it and going through it one day very slowly in hopes that i one day will get a hang of it...but at this stage im completely lost on so many things.

I dont know, i just dont get any sense of long term for Punchline so far.
Harley had a lot going, especially the backstory...but punchline in general doesnt strike me as someone who has potential for much.
She has a cool look, but she looks out of place next to joker and alone she has not much to go with.
But maybe with time that changes.
She is not a breakout character imo, she did well enough in her debut and can be a character that can be used later on, but so far she doesnt strike me as a character that can be a major star outside of her initial "being new" introduction in a major story.
We will see.

@Mani-Man Harley was more fleshed out to a wider younger audience in B:TAS for most people like myself we grew up with Harley. But in the same as I have said before she was used in small doses which is how I think she best works. When they started to give Harley the Batman/Wolverine treatment she lost all appeal (for me anyways) because she is overdone and over exposed. If anything they should've just kept her on SS and have her pop up here and ther in the Batman books featuring her every now and then. Punchline I feel can work if you give her the same starting treatment but just don't over do it with her.

Last edited:
Anyone else read Rorschach #2? I'm pretty into it so far. It keeps itself pretty firmly in Watchmen's world while being very un-Watchmen. That is, Rorschach's visual language is its own rather than just aping the language of Watchmen.

I've always loved King's flare for knowledge of the comic book industry and I love how he's commenting on that through this book and funneling it through the comic book industry of the Watchmen universe.

The fact that neither DC nor Marvel has signed Jorge Fornes as an exclusive yet though, despite incredible work on Batman and Daredevil, is just a crime.

Anybody know where Cassandra and Stephanie taking over as Batgirl came from? Which comic? I just read Batgirl 50 and it was alluded to but didn’t happen.

June 8, 2021.

Harvey Dent is dead. Or is he?

A gang of thieves thrusts Gotham City into a state of fear when they are mysteriously well-armed with military-grade weapons: flamethrowers, grenade launchers, and even tanks.

And this gang claims it is funded by none other than former district attorney Harvey Dent.

Balancing his two lives, Bruce Wayne must find the truth by tapping his growing network of agents, including Alfred Pennyworth, Jim Gordon, Waylon "Killer Croc" Jones, and the savvy new Catwoman.

Vd6sZrFaGdwDW7MsacCVeK.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back