The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not critical of the choice of Kennedy Johnson because I legitimately had never heard of him til now, and I’m always open to giving new people a shot. I was just baffled because he wasn’t even on anyone’s radar as a possibility (that I’m aware of), and yes, a little bummed that my dream of a proper Mark Waid Superman run must continue to be just that.

A new voice on the character can be good, I guess. :shrug: But two books? Eh, we will see.

He's also writing The Last God for Black Label:
The Last God (2019) Reviews

Yeah, I'm excited for him to take over from Bendis (thank God), but I don't understand why he has to write both books. It's too much and one of the books will likely suffer because of it. I'd rather have different voices/visions for Action Comics, similar to what they've done with Batman and Tec in recent years.

I’m half way through Death Metal: Last Stories of the DC Universe. Gail Simone killed it with the Black Canary/Green Arrow story. Now I want her on a GA/Canary book.

I agree, they need to lure her back in full time.

So I finished the Metal special Last Stories of the DC Universe. And as a fan of these two characters I loved and hated the “marriage” of
Nightwing and Batgirl
. It should’ve been better, but it feels somewhat cheap knowing that it won’t last. At least it was funny to have them fully acknowledge that the marriage will be over as soon as that story concluded.

DC needs to stop being lazy and such a tease. Dick/Babs are only allowed to be together and get "married" when there is a Crisis looming that can wipe it all away. Just like what happened with Final Crisis.

Looks like JL is getting an overhaul

Not really a fan of Naomi already being elevated to JL levels over bringing back Vixen. Hippolyta likely joining? Is....weird.

Hippolyta should've been the first Wonder Woman and joined the JSA if they weren't going to use Diana for that.

From what I gather from how he is talking he wants to continue off what Bendis did and it seems we'll be getting a Superman more like Reeve. While Bendis is set to destroy the Justice League next.
Anyone wanna give me a run down of how Bendis's Superman run ended? The holidays got me super busy at work, and don't really feel like catching up on all the DC stuff right now, especially with King In Black now on the Marvel side :p

I’m interested in the goings on with Superman as well. I jettisoned during Bendis and might jump back in. Though I too am disappointed that there wasn’t a Mark Waid announcement, @flickchick85.

also just read Death Metal #6. Pretty decent, though I am disappointed that they dropped Wally as the key to victory pretty early in the story. Going with a Trinity member is pretty uninspired.

Welp, dont know why DC would release this image while trying to keep the JL roster a mystery
oBw3N9HYkVYY8UZFLjKbL3.jpg

I’m interested in the goings on with Superman as well. I jettisoned during Bendis and might jump back in. Though I too am disappointed that there wasn’t a Mark Waid announcement, @flickchick85.

also just read Death Metal #6. Pretty decent, though I am disappointed that they dropped Wally as the key to victory pretty early in the story. Going with a Trinity member is pretty uninspired.

I think had the savior be Superman or Batman it'd be uninspired. WW rarely gets to be "save the day" in huge events and this was supposed to be her big event (even if she wasnt really the focus)

I think had the savior be Superman or Batman it'd be uninspired. WW rarely gets to be "save the day" in huge events and this was supposed to be her big event (even if she wasnt really the focus)

You wanna talk uninspired? The fact that the entire Metal/Death Metal story somehow spawned from some still Batman-centric event is the most uninspired of the uninspired. I get Snyder has a hard-on for batman, but damn, this is just next level.

You wanna talk uninspired? The fact that the entire Metal/Death Metal story somehow spawned from some still Batman-centric event is the most uninspired of the uninspired. I get Snyder has a hard-on for batman, but damn, this is just next level.

giphy.gif

I have to say I really don't like the treatment they are giving my boy Conner. They have regressed him back to his 90s attitude and just are for the most part leaving him by the waste side only to get picked up by the Suicide Squad.

Last edited:
I have to sat I really don't like the treatment they are giving my boy Conner. They have regressed him back to his 90s attitude and just are for the most part leaving him by the waste side only to get picked up by the Suicide Squad.

They have to make sure he isnt more popular than Jon Kent afterall.

I loved Jon before Bendis ruined him, but yeah, they’ve completely destroyed Wally and completely ignored Kyle. I’ve gotten to the place where I loathe Barry Allen because of the preferential treatment he gets over Wally.

Saw a few of the Solications for after future state...and im not super hyped for everything.

Johnson i only know from Tales of the Dark Multiverse and that seemed fine.
But if he continues Bendis work, im not super into...i want 9 year old(was he 9?) Jon back, not 15 year old or what.

The Crime syndicate looks promising.

Suicide Squad looks like they literally did a randomizer to see which characters to use...super weird at first glance.

Swamp Thing we will need to see.

Sensational Wonder Woman sounds interesting, so does Wonder Woman...as usual im quite excited for that.

Okay why the **** does the joker need its own series?
Yeah sure the premise sounds neat, but still.

Batman: Urban Legends...i mean i love my Batman but do we really need another series there?
Give me green lantern or Black Canary or something...we get more than enough Batman for the love of god.
If i as a batman fan say its too much, maybe its too much batman DC.

Nightwing looks promising, Taylor could do cool things with him...its been a while since i read nightwing so i may check this out.

Harley Quinn the same with the Joker to be honest.
I like her a lot but i dont really need a Series with her.
Unless of course DC has finally the guts to make Harley/Ivy canon and have them go on adventures together...until then i dont need a harley quinn series...comic series at least.
Give me a new harley quinn tv show season.

Bendis at JL is hell if they allow him to do what he did with Superman.
I fear the worst.
And am i drunk or does it look like Shazam has a black suit? I saw a picture around that shows someone who doesnt look like Black Adam wearing his costume or a shazam costume in black...weird.
And where is the Manhunter?
That one on the left isnt Diana is it?
Who is the one on the right?
On this im a bit slow it seems with my brain catching up on identifying those characters.

Other than that i havent seen too much, read something about a Man-Bat mini series which infuriates me...where the hell is my Green Arrow series god damn it.XD

@Mani-Man preach it brother! We had the same reactions, especially about Green Arrow. Why do Joker and Harley have their own books and Batman has 11,473 books while Green Arrow, one of the most complex and fascinating characters in DC doesn’t?

Btw, I would recommend Jurgens’ recent Nightwing run. I really enjoyed it.

That is Black Adam, right now he is part of a month long event partially told 1000 years ago where he was part of the "1st" Justice League w/Hippolyta. Both join present day JL.

They should do a Green Arrow/Black Canary title written by Gail Simone. But even Arrow didn't do anything to boost the comic sales which is why he's currently benched from a solo title

Hey I enjoyed the snot out of Arrow, but if someone only knew the character through watching that show and then picked up a GA comic, they would be surprised. That show, while entertaining, was not at all an accurate depiction of the character. The “Batman with a bow” description has been unfair for a long time. He is in most ways, polar opposite of Bruce. I see him more a happier Daredevil with eyesight (and a bow). But Arrow basically embraced the Batman with a bow comparison and ran with it.

DC March solicits leaked
Wonder Woman is "dead" and has ascended to another realm

Thought Bendis' run on Superman ended with a bit of a whimper. It didn't feel like a conclusion to a run than it did an abrupt finish. Hopefully Action Comics concludes better.

I like the way Bendis handled Ollie in Event: Leviathan, and I think Ollie will more than likely get a big push to the center of Justice League. But I'm not sure if I'm gonna pick it up or not.

To everyone whining about Bendis' pet character Naomi being on the Justice League, Firestorm, Vixen, and Rocket Red all say "Hello".

No Legion of Superheroes was kind of a surprise. Not sure if it's cancelled or just being reconfigured for the coming months?

Taylor on Nightwing should be cool.

Totally down for the Flash. While the first arc gives me pause, it sounds like a "This is what's in continuity now" refresher arc to consolidate the last year or so of Wally's comics appearances. Gorgeous cover, too. Looking forward to this one.

Pretty interested in Ram V's Swamp Thing series. I'm curious how this may connect to V's developments of Swamp Thing in the JLD book, but I'm not sure I want to invest in the Justice League/JLD book.

A LOT of Batman here, yet I find the anthology format a bold choice. While it's annoying that much of it is Batman, I hope that if these sell well enough, DC will explore making other anthology books featuring a mix of other characters. Bring back Showcase, or Action Comics Weekly.

Strange Adventures bumping to a bi-monthly schedule for its final 4 issues is stinging, especially due to the momentum it's been building over the last few months.

I think more than any other book DC's published since 2016, Wonder Woman has had the most creative teams come and go. I think Becky Cloonan is a good writer. I think Travis Moore is a great artist. The real question is: how long with this combination last? It's been a VERY long time since Wonder Woman had any kind of creative stability. I'd hate for this to be just another cog in the meandering wheel that this title's been rolling on.

It's worth pointing out that Green Lantern starts up in April, and I'm sure that come April we'll also get news regarding Aquaman and a few other characters.

They should do a Green Arrow/Black Canary title written by Gail Simone.

Drawn by Otto Schmidt? Sign me up for that.
Would love Gail on anything to be honest.

Hey I enjoyed the snot out of Arrow, but if someone only knew the character through watching that show and then picked up a GA comic, they would be surprised. That show, while entertaining, was not at all an accurate depiction of the character. The “Batman with a bow” description has been unfair for a long time. He is in most ways, polar opposite of Bruce. I see him more a happier Daredevil with eyesight (and a bow). But Arrow basically embraced the Batman with a bow comparison and ran with it.

I guess Arrow did play a part in Green Arrows standing.
Dont know if the shows directly helped or hurt the comic sales, but i can see how it might confuse people who got introduced to Oliver due to the show, when they pick up a Green Arrow comic.

DC March solicits leaked
Wonder Woman is "dead" and has ascended to another realm

Weird but lets see where this goes.

Drawn by Otto Schmidt? Sign me up for that.
Would love Gail on anything to be honest.

I guess Arrow did play a part in Green Arrows standing.
Dont know if the shows directly helped or hurt the comic sales, but i can see how it might confuse people who got introduced to Oliver due to the show, when they pick up a Green Arrow comic.

Weird but lets see where this goes.
I think the show Arrow both helped and hurt Green Arrow the comic. It helped by getting GA out there to public for them to get to know him but it also hurt the comics because people were expecting GA to be Batman with a bow like on the show and he isn't and it hurt because they split up him and BC because of the show. I say the same thing about the Reeve's Superman movies because while they are good and did help they have done a lot of damage to the Superman comics and just future interpretations of the character. Because people expect Reeve's Superman when he hasn't been that way in almost 40 years. Hell when Superman II came out they were already in the process of moving away from that type of Superman and since then people pick up the comics to see Reeve's Superman and walk away when you see a Superman closer to the one shown in the movies as of late. Hell I think the same thing about the Wonder Woman movies because while the first movie was good that isn't the Wonder Woman of the comics who is almost the complete opposite of the one in the movies.

I've been buying a bunch of books lately, and one of them is The Masters of the Universe omnibus.
I'm about a third through, and it's a pretty fun read tbh. The art is mostly good, and The dialogue isn't always the best, but yeah I Kinda like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"