The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 2

Looks like Joshua Williamson's taking over Batman in December. AND the oval is back!

Looks like I'll be jumping back into Batman for a bit.

Last edited:
But will it be Bruce as Batman? Or Tim Fox?

Based on the cover, and comments Williamson made on twitter, it's definitely Bruce (on the cover anyway) and it sounds like they're going to be leaving the rest of the Bat titles alone to do their thing. So I'm sure Tim will factor in somewhere.

@Mani-Man i felt the same way about this week’s Detective Comics. I’ve really liked this story, but talk about being unable to stick the landing…

It truly is amazing to me that DC is working towards huge overhauls and grandiose stories with Superman and Batman, and mostly disappoint. while titles like Robin and Nightwing are weaving these small, intimate character pieces and really working some magic.

It was strange because you didnt felt like this is the final of the arc at all.
I thought we would at least get 2-3 additional issues on this arc, but then suddenly its over.
Part of me feels almost like Tamaki was forced to tie in with the Fear State arc, and thats why this arc ended so suddenly.

I already dread where Batman and Detective comics go since both will have bruce gone from Gotham.
Im not liking this at all because i liked the idea that Tynion planted with Bruce wanting to be a better Batman, a better man.
That i would have loved, tackling being Bruce and Batman different.

Instead we get him leaving Gotham and letting someone else be Gothams Protector...not liking this at all.
I fear that we have reached the end of the honeymoon phase with Infinite Frontier and come to the divorce part slowly.XD XD
Superman and Batman start with it it seems.
Such a shame when you look at stuff like Robin or Nightwing that doesnt do some huge "groundbreaking" arcs...instead they focus on character and World building, not needing a big scale to be good.

But will it be Bruce as Batman? Or Tim Fox?

Definitly Bruce...I am Batman will be the Batman in Gotham it seems while Bruce is somewhere else or so.
The Oval, eh i dont really care...what i care is that we again dont get a armored suit.
I know for an artists this is easier and all...but i just love Batman when his Suit is looking like armor and not spandex or so.

I've been working a lot this month so comic book buying time got condensed and so I have about two weeks worth of books to eat through BUT:

Batman/Catwoman continues to be woefully disappointing. The story has no hook, no stakes, no sense of direction. Clay Mann's art continues to be serviceable only to those of the "all cheesecake, no storytelling" persuasion, and for all the delays, isn't all that impressive. I'm curious to see how Liam Sharp approaches the storytelling in the next 3 issues that he's drawing to give time to Mann to catch up. I also can't help but wonder how different this story would be were it allowed to play out organically in a twice-montly format in the main Batman book as a coda to City of Bane instead of whatever it's supposed to be here.

On the other hand, King's Supergirl: The Woman of Tomorrow is just great. I love the highly literate prose style he gives to Ruthye's voice, and I love Kara's a little more rugged and earthy than Clark's ever been portrayed. That may not be everyone else's cup of tea, but this, along with Strange Adventures and Rorschach, is Tom King at his best. Makes you wonder what the hell's happening in Bat/Cat.

We are probably gonna be seeing a lot of DC Comics changes & layoffs after the Discovery merger. Im curious what its gonna look like after that. When Spawn is kicking your ass in the sales it wont be pretty

I dont know how many more layoffs they can do until they just produce Batman titles. They already had layoffs earlier in the year.

What’s going on with Mark Waid? I thought he was going to have some DC properties coming out.

With DC revisiting their old movies and shows do you think we'll get a Lois & Clark comic and maybe a good sequel to Superman Returns?

Lois & Clark, maybe. There are still a lot of fans for that show. Not so sure about Superman Returns.

I’d say you have a better chance of a George Reeves Adventures of Superman than either Lois and Clark or Returns.

Lois & Clark, maybe. There are still a lot of fans for that show. Not so sure about Superman Returns.
I think Superman Returns has a lot of fans as well. Once again going off of the shooting script (and everything in that script was shot and really should've gotten a directors cut). Superman Returns probably has one of the best live action Superman stories to date maybe second or third to Donner's S:TM and Abrams Superman story. So I do think there is a lot of potential to finish that series with like a Graphic Novel or something.

Wonder Girl despite the delays continues to be enjoyable. It didnt need to be a CW show but would love it to be an HBO Max show so it could receive the proper budget and location shooting (even though they just shoot everything in Canada/Atlanta)

With DC revisiting their old movies and shows do you think we'll get a Lois & Clark comic and maybe a good sequel to Superman Returns?

Not a chance. I dont think there's the nostalgia there for it sadly.

So apparently Jonathan Kent is supposed to be portrayed as either gay or bi as well. I know this might rub some people the wrong way but this just doesn't sit well with me. However I'm not going to complain and this is all I am going to say on the subject.

So apparently Jonathan Kent is supposed to be portrayed as either gay or bi as well. I know this might rub some people the wrong way but this just doesn't sit well with me. However I'm not going to complain and this is all I am going to say on the subject.
Me knowing the debate that will rage from this news:

upload_2021-9-3_8-51-40.gif

But in all seriousness, news like this does help me in my self-awareness. I like to think of myself as a progressive and loving person, but if I’m honest, my initial reaction to this was disappointment. That illuminates unconscious biases within me that I didn’t realize I had. I definitely need to work to have more empathy for others, and especially with younger folks in the demographic that Jonathan Kent and Tim Drake represent, who are wrestling with issues of acceptance and identity. It’s easy for me to sit in my ivory tower and write this off as gimmicky and exploitative, but I have to realize that I don’t understand what it’s like to not have that representation. And since I haven’t experienced that, I have no right to demonize or otherwise question the motives of this move. I simply don’t have that background.

Havent seen anything about that, but to be honest, everything related to a "grown up" Jon, flies past my radar, i simply have far too little interest in this Character sadly.

But like i said before, to me every Argument against exploring a Characters sexuality or so, flies out of the Window After there was Zero pushback against exactly that when Tom King was able to write a 90+ Series that was little more than batcat fetish.

People are fine when DC forces Superwonder or lois and clark into stories etc, but when it involves anything not about straight whites, its a problem?

There is no good reason not to explore Tim or now if its true, Jon...because we live in times were these things are strong on peoples minds.
Many people struggle with their sexuality, many people feel alone and different because societys standards.
Such stories help normalize it...if we let it.

Well, ya already failed there.

Well no one can use the "He's dated women since the 90s so he cant like men and women" debacle if its true.

I’m looking for some suggestions. Does anyone have a list of good stories featuring Calvin Ellis? (I’m looking at you @Calvin Ellis what stories do you recommend with your namesake as the feature)

I’ve really enjoyed Infinite Frontier 1-5 and realize that most stories that I’ve read with him, he’s not front and center as much. I’d like more of him.

I’m looking for some suggestions. Does anyone have a list of good stories featuring Calvin Ellis? (I’m looking at you @Calvin Ellis what stories do you recommend with your namesake as the feature)

I’ve really enjoyed Infinite Frontier 1-5 and realize that most stories that I’ve read with him, he’s not front and center as much. I’d like more of him.
The only other real stories with accour in the Action Comics one shot by Grant Morrison early on in the New 52. That's really the only main Calvin Ellis story. The only other thing was a throw away part in an all past present and alternative Superman team up leading to him joining that current Justice League team you see now.

Although I am surprised how featured he is in this event and will be in the sequel. Really loving it.

The recent photos of Jason Mamoa in the new Aquaman outfit and stealth suit had my dig out my copies of that 1986 mini. Despite thinking that the live-action Aquaman costumes just look silly, the '86 mini series is soooo damn good. Better than I remember it being. And Craig Hamilton's art work is divine.

Not the biggest fan of Hitch. His faces have ths really unsettling "dead eyes" thing going on. But him drawing a Waid-penned Superman book? Sign me the hell up!

Kind of incredible that the Superman family of books are so good right now.

Yeah, DC is running out of ideas. Its a shame that pretty much their entire output(that gets any half hearted hype) is "this characters sexual orientation" or "evil superheroes with zombies" . Probably partially because most talented writers leave comics/run off to substack so the output is done by people who just aren't very good writers.

I generally do my best to avoid most in-continuity stories DC does, well I ordered the Blue&Gold series, but other vise Ill just keep reading stuff that is not tied to any continuity.

Regarding this "revelation" it at least doesn't come as forced as what they did with Tim Drake.

But in general I think its a shame that the aged-up this character in the first place. I liked the character when he was a kid, I lost all interest when Bendis did his weaksauce stories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"