The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'DC Comics' started by flickchick85, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

Robin and Batman #2 is pure perfection. I love this book so much. Lemire’s writing paired with Dustin Nguyen’s watercolors is
    upload_2021-12-14_9-13-13.jpeg

I haven’t said this about anything since Up in the Sky, but everyone should run, not walk, to their local comics store and buy this. Then camp out before issue #3 is released and buy that one too.

Mani-Man, flickchick85 and gohei_ like this.
  2. geetard Rebirth

3. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Mani-Man and Babillygunn like this.
  4. Mani-Man I just found out about this (he/him)

Comic week Time…

Batgirls

Uh I like this one, found it very catchy written and paced.
    The Art is a bit weird at times, I was hoping for a less artistic style but I can work with that.
    Looking forward to this very much.
    A comic focusing on the batgirls is a super neat idea.

Batman The Imposter

That was a really good read I thought.
    Don’t know if it works as some kind of Prequel or so for The Batman, because you haven’t been able to build some kind of relationship with the Characters yet, but I found it really well written.
    Nothing groundbreaking, your typical “Does Bruce need batman, does Gotham need batman etc” kind of theme.
    The Imposter reveal was rather boring because not that much time was put into that to begin with.
    The focus was on Bruce and not the solving of this, so the reveal was not really effective.
    Still, a good read that I think will be more valueable once The Batman universe goes further.

Batman Urban Legends

God damn it do I love it when they give me Wholesome Batfamily stuff.
    Or in General a Batman that is not all “Argh, let me beat up everyone” in the end and does care about the bad guys on a personal level.
    Urban Legends does a good job I noticed on that.
    So I have a soft spot for Urban Legends

Robin & Batman

Ah, such a frustrating book in terms of Bruce…whenever you think he does something just to be nice, they slap you in the face and have him have this “soldier” mindset…but that’s the point of the story right?
    To deal with that.
    Its such a good book in terms of writing and art…ah the art, I love it so damn much.
    Really really strong two issues so far.

The Joker

It keeps me interested because of the Focus on Jim…which is weird considering the name of the Series.
    But I guess that is to sell more.
    Still, I appreciate the focus on Jim and him being in the main role of this, dealing with his Troubles etc…it’s a cool concept.

Wonder Girl

Keeps being some kind of sleeper hit since I don’t see many people talk about it.
    Really like the characters and story, the writing and art.

Wonder Woman

Its Wonder Woman.
    A Run I like to read, but doesn’t do anything super mindblowing.
    It stays consistent as a enjoyable read.

Bit packed this week, but not in a bad way.
    Lot to read, lot to enjoy.

Really looking forward to the Superman/Batman series 2022...cant wait for that.
    The Character design alone is so awesome already and Mark waid being part of it...Money.

5. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

@Mani-Man all right, I’m sold. I’m checking out Batman Urban Legends based upon your description.

And I too really enjoyed Batgirls. That’s so much fun. And call me crazy, but I find the art perfect for that type of book.

Mani-Man and Snow Queen like this.
  6. geetard Rebirth

Added Batgirls #1 to my list and asked to put aside Artgerm's variant cover for Wonder Girl #6. I think I'll regret it.

Went back to my LCS few weeks ago after 2-3 months of being MIA and got hit with about $70 for maybe a dozen comics. The USD-CAD conversion rate really hurts my wallet.

I keep saying this to myself, but I seriously need to go back trade waiting.

Mani-Man and Snow Queen like this.
  7. CrimsonMist Registered

I'm SO excited for Mark Waid's "World's Finest" book. More often than not, it's been a title that's has tried to coast along on the prestige of its two leads without the creative juice to justify it. Perhaps not since Loeb/McGuiness/Turner. But Waid is next level. Also, points for bringing back the blue/grey/oval look for Batman. I've missed it so much.

Tom King also has a new 6-issue Batman mini series coming in March. It oddly feels like a movie synergy tie-in book, which initially strikes me as being a downgrade of Ling's abilities as a writer as this stuff is usually done by mid-tier creative talent. But King has said that he's taking a more classical, straight-to-the-point, fun comics approach to this one. Im really curious to know where this story came from. And it's finally great to see David Marquez doing a straight-up Batman book. I wanted this since his work with Bendis in Defenders.

In other news, I finally got around to reading Wonder Woman Historia. Absolutely incredible. Gorgeous artwork, poignant writing. Apparently DeConnick has like 8 more issues or something in the pipeline that, if they can maintain this level of quality, could become THE definitive Wonder Woman story.

Books this week were alright. Robin & Batman was probably the best, but I share Mani's thoughts: Batman-as-soldier gets way too stale way to quickly. But Dick hanging out with the other soon to be Titans was the highlight.

Didn't much care for Batman: The Imposter. Could have used another issue or two to fill out motivations and the fallout. It felt very rushed and unsatisfying.

Joker #10 I only bought because of Francesco Francavilla's art. I only buy issues of this book for his work. And honestly, while the stories are pretty self-contained, they're kinda poorly written. Dialogue is very stilted and awkward. But I enjoy seeing Francavilla get more monthly work. More of that would be a great thing.

Also picked up the two issues of The Cimmerian: Beyond The Black River, English translations of French Conan The Barbarian comics. I always forget about these books because my shop orders very little if them, but hands down they are better than anything Marvel has done since getting their hands back on the character. Not sure if anyone else here digs Robert E. Howard and Conan, but if you're looking for a Conan book that harkens back to the character's former glory at Dark Horse, check these out. And if you're new to the character entirely, these books reprint the short story being adapted at the back of the book across the series so you get to read Howard's original words, which is such a great idea.

8. Mani-Man I just found out about this (he/him)

Yeah, the last few months, Batman/Superman was so empty that i dropped it.
    There was nothing really going on that kept me going.
    They had Superman and Batman...and did so little with it.
    I have high hopes in this one, could be tons of fun.

Im curious but also worried.
    Knowing Catwoman will be in it, i dont trust King to keep his head straight.
    Will be plenty of Batcat stuff probably and i already assume the twist of the story based on that.
    Not sure if i give it a read, i want to because King is good and i always liked the Riddler,Penguin, Catwoman team up.

Really? 8? Wow, i was expecting maybe 3 considering how much work goes into the Artwork and all.
    I dont know if they can Maintain the strength of the first issue.
    The Art and Writing is so big that it can overwhelm people, many might not be able to keep reading.
    I know it myself, that first issue i had to tackle a few times to really see everything and i needed to take a break every time from reading in General because it was so Grand.

Yeah, him taking the lead and all...it was super neat.
    On that i kind of appreciate "Sergeant Batman" because he gave Dick the tools to take the lead of a group of Meta humans and guide them through without many problems.
    Thats what i like about Robin & Batman, this conflict you have as reader.
    On one hand Bruce feels like a proper bastard how he acts, but then you can also understand where he comes from.

@Babillygunn Im easy to please, there is this one page that makes it already worth for me.
    Well to be fair that whole part made it worth, but this one page...ah i love the Batfamily so much.

Babillygunn likes this.
  9. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

I just read the Female Furies mini from 2019 and I am surprised that DC greenlit the story.

Of course its a glorified hell on Earth but they have Darkseid rape Granny, one of the furies get raped and the others not believe her only for the fury to be killed by her rapist and have the Furies rebel against Darkseid and Granny. Women on Apokolips are treated as nothing.

10. CrimsonMist Registered

I feel you. I'm genuinely not like King's Batman/Catwoman series at all. Maybe it's all of the delays and my lack of re-reading previous issues, but the story is meandering and it really doesn't seem to have much of a plot. Which would be fine if the story still examined the characters caught up in the narrative. And right now, there's none of that. It doesn't help that, as fine an illustrated Clay Mann is, he's an incredibly lousy story teller. He's all cheesecake. Liam Sharpe's cover job these last few issues have been solid, but his aesthetic is definitely on the Bill Sienkiewicz end of the spectrum compared to Mann's more Jim Lee approach.

This new mini though is evidently a year 2 kinda story, like the movie. So there's probably romantic tension which is par for the course, but I'm curious to see how it fits, if at all, within King's larger body of Bat-work.

I find myself pulling the issue out more and more just to gawk at the pages. And with Gene Ha and Nicola Scott doing the next 2 issues, I imagine more gawking will be had.

My understanding, based in an interview with DeConnick, is that she has multiple 3-issue mini arcs planned and I think even written. But the remaining 6 issues happening are dependent on how sales for these 3 issues turn out. A full scale origin of Diana with quality like this would be next level incredible.

#460 CrimsonMist, Dec 20, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    Mani-Man likes this.
  11. gohei_ Infected by Pentapox

If someone is picking up the Dark Knight mini from Jock this week, please share your thoughts on it.

12. CrimsonMist Registered

Damn good comics. Very cinematic. Jock sets the mood and feelings masterfully. It's to the point and not flashy. And the stakes at the end feel really high.

In other news, Supergirl #6 was also great. I'm really digging what Tom King has been doing with Kara though I feel like this take won't get any traction going forward after the series ends. Which is a shame.

#462 CrimsonMist, Dec 21, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    Babillygunn likes this.
  13. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

I am a die hard Fourth World fan, so I started that one. And I made it through maybe 2 issues.

14. gohei_ Infected by Pentapox

Sounds great. I'll probably wait for the trade for this one though.

15. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

I was so disappointed since i love me some Female Furies. Taking them from Darkseids elite to looked as a joke just to be fondled and sexualized by Darkseid and co was the wrong choice. Plenty of characters where that would make more sense to tell that kind of story

Babillygunn likes this.
  16. geetard Rebirth

RE: King's new Batman miniseries

So, it's an action-packed heist book? Okay, I'm definitely in. Will trade wait, however.

Babillygunn likes this.
  17. Mani-Man I just found out about this (he/him)

Comics week Christmas edition.
    Not too different in content than normal, well there is “one Dark Knight”, but that’s not really something that is Christmas themed.
    Still, I consider it a little Christmas gift.

Batman One Dark Knight

Wow, im already in love with this one.
    The Art is super nice, the writing on point and the idea itself interesting as hell.
    The writing really kept me on the edge, every page I felt the desperation of Batman as he gave chase.
    The Issue really did a good job in terms of the pacing, building towards the climax that starts the story really.
    Really really good Issue and im super excited to see how this unfolds.

Catwoman Lonely City

Its still a neat story, but kind of goofy, which I don’t know…doesn’t fit the premise.
    For what the foundation of the story is, I don’t feel the impact too much.
    Maybe I see it more bleak then it is supposed to be, I don’t know.

Nightwing

Gosh, what a cool idea in terms of visuals.
    Not something I want always or used much more often, but it’s a cool concept to create a few neat, very fluid scenes.
    I like my action shots and camera angles, but this one panel storytelling is a neat gimmick.
    The issue itself was nothing too special but it doesn’t need to be.
    It was a feelgood issue based around a gimmick…and that is fine.
    With the writing, art style and the gimmick you have a simply enjoyable Nightwing issue.
    It’s a great idea to give the people a issue to take a breath before going into a bigger arc again.

Nubia & The Amazons

I continue to enjoy this one very much.
    Everything that gives me more on the Amazons and the world building around them…im a fan.
    And I really really like Nubia.

Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow

Do yourself a favor and get these issues right now.
    Absolutely fantastic all around.
    Kings writing, a incredible good art style…Supergirl at its best, showing what you can do with the character.

Wonder Woman: Evolution

The First issue I wasn’t too sure about if I should keep going.
    It was nice and all, but not something to keep paying Money for further.
    Ive gone into issue 2 with “meh” because Mister 0815 soldier Steve Trevor was on the cover and I expected the usual with the character.
    But im glad I read it because it was a good issue that does a great job in turning my opinion on it around.
    Im quite curious how this turns out and the art style also won me over here.

So yeah, a nice Comic week which I could consider a early Christmas present.
    Next week then the last week of comics in 2021, with a full schedule pretty much.
    Excited for that.

With that, since I don’t know how much I will be around the next few days…I wish you all Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays or if you don’t celebrate, a great weekend.
    Stay safe, make the most of it, be around people you love and enjoy it…we certainly all deserve it after this tough year.

18. geetard Rebirth

flickchick85 and Mani-Man like this.
  19. signalman Registered

20. CrimsonMist Registered

Hope everyone had a happy and healthy Christmas, despite the COVID craziness that's been bubbling up. I've had the last week or so off and have only ventured out for groceries and comics.

Solid week of books:

- Human Target continues to be absolutely fantastic. Great art in synch with witty, smart writing. The shift in tone from King's Strange Adventures and Rorschach to what what he's working with in Human Target and Supergirl is pretty impressive. I'm still baffled by how many people continue to hate-read his work, exemplifying some of the worst traits of this fandom, but if you're not reading Human Target and Supergirl, you very much should be.

- Told myself i wouldn't buy it, but I've been on a Dark Horse Conan binge for the last 4 days, re-reading all of the omnibus paperbacks(mainly the Busiek and Truman stuff) and so I bought the new King Conan #1 today from Jason Aaron and Mahmud Asrar. Their 12-issue run on the regular Conan title was good enough, and this sounded interesting, but I'm kinda worn out by Marvel (and to a greater extent, Disney) and my interest in their books is waning. As it is, this first of 6 issues was solid and fun, though perhaps a little more tongue-in-cheek than Conan probably should be, and nowhere near as good as the Ablaze series, "The Cimmerian", but I'll probably give this another issue to see how it goes.

- Swamp Thing: Green Hell sees yet another Jeff Lemire book on the shelves and unfortunately I wasn't feeling this one at all. Not because I'm a Swamp Thing fan, but because this book exemplified the worst aspects one would expect from a Black Label book: gore, violence, paper thin plot, and superficial drama. The "maturity" on display is matched only by its sheer stupidity. And Lemire is a far better writer than that, as his very grotesque run on Animal Man shows. I'm also not a fan of these post-apocalyptic future stories. They always lack weight in their set-up and always rings hollow. While it seems DC is committed to Ram V's vision of Swamp Thing (and so am I), I'd like to still get better stories than this with Alec Holland. Haven't had a good one since Tom King's Winter Special story a few years ago.

- The Flash continues to be the best title DC has. It's still so much, and has so much heart. It's everything a Flash book should be. It's a shame that Bart never got a mention during the scenes set on Gemworld considering Bendis set his first Young Justice arc there. Still, if you're on the fence about The Flash right now, pick up this book. It's truly the best the Flash has been in a veeery long time.

- Action Comics. Man, this is truly the shaping up to be the best Superman story in a while. It's exploring Superman as a symbol of hope in a hostile world by actually challenging the notion in a serious, straight forward way. I think too many writers get caught up in the nostalgia and melodrama of "hope", which often leads to criticism that Superman is a lame character. But Philip Kennedy Johnson's going right for the throat of it. There's so much weight to the story here, and he does what I've always said you need to do with Superman: you need to challenge his morals to beat him down. And Johnson is definitely providing that challenge. This book is great.

- Robin was quick and breezy this issue. We're about 2 issues away until this book gets caught up in Williamson's big Shadow War cross-over that I'm definitely skipping out on. Williamson adds an interesting wrinkle to the origin of Batman that finally highlights my issues with Lemire over in "Robin and Batman", but that's neither here nor there. Solid issue that you can read largely going by the art alone, which hopefully isn't a portent of things to come as this has otherwise been one of the best books DC has right now. But it did feel like Williamson just wants to get this story arc over with. But to be honest, I sort of feel the same way.

Anyways, the New Year is upon us. I hope everyone enters it safely!

Mani-Man likes this.
  21. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

As always, I love to see your (and @Mani-Man) thoughts on the weekly titles.

I absolutely love Human Target and Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow. After the lackluster Adam Strange and Rorschach stories, it’s great to see Tom King up to his old tricks and creating more masterful limited series.

Human Target is a great combination of wit, mystery and heart. I’m all in and loving the ride.

I really don’t know what happened to Joshua Williamson during his Rebirth Flash run, but it was wildly disappointing. Since Jeremy Adams had taken over and Wally has been the Flash, this book has been absolutely on fire. This week is was everything I love about it in a nutshell. It has heart. It has a lighthearted, fun narrative. But it still has stories with enormous stakes. And Adams balances the weaving of focus on Wally’s missions and his family life is superb. This book is a gem.

I have to agree. As much as I have loved this book and heralded it as one of the top 3 or 4 titles in Infinite Frontier (if anyone is interested, my other tops titles would be Nightwing, Flash and Justice League Incarnate), I can’t help but think that it would be best served as a limited series and this issue would have set up well for a jumping off point, with Damien coming to grips with his grief and guilt over Alfred and re-embracing his Robin role. Instead we got only about 65% of the way there. This just feels like a 20 episode season of a television show, that should have been 10-12. Then it ends on a cliffhanger when I’m not emotionally invested in the next chapter. Still, the book is a blast and I will keep reading it. But I can’t help but worry that it may overstay it’s welcome and I will eventually drop it, kind of like what happened to the Catwoman title after Joelle Jones rotated off.

The only disagreement I might have with your review is your concerns about Bruce’s depiction in Robin and Batman. I’m with you that I don’t like drill sergeant Batman. But I suspect that this is intentional and that it is part of the character development that we will see Bruce grow from this and be more of a father and see his errors. I don’t think that this is a Frank Miller style celebration of that characterization. I think that it will be the opposite of that and we will see Bruce acknowledge and embrace the construct of a Bat-family and not a Bat-army. At least that is what I hope and expect. If we don’t get that character arc, one of my favorite series will probably end in some disappointment.

CrimsonMist and Mani-Man like this.
  22. Mani-Man I just found out about this (he/him)

I always bite myself when @CrimsonMist brings up Human Target or Strange Adventures because i always forget to finally give it a read...always.
    And every time i tell myself to make a note, but i forget to do it.XD

Anyway, Final Comics Week of the year…and boy what a year it was.
    I don’t want to count but I could see it being my most expensive Comic year ever.
    So many good stuff to Read, I have lost track of it completely.

I don’t do Rankings but I know definitely Nightwing, Robin, Flash would take the top spots.
    Especially Flash which i began late the year, was rising super fast in my ranks.
    But in general I felt the year was very strong.
    Anyway…onto the Last comic week of 2021.

Action Comics

I changed my mind and decided to give this arc a chance because its been a while since we had a Mongul story.
    And it was the right choice possibly.
    Because this issue gave the story a different approach as I expected.
    As much as I like Clark punching heavy stuff etc, I love when storys force him to rely on his Humanity and not his Kryptonian side.
    When it tackles his moral, his integrity, the things he learn from his parents, his friends…that what makes him so very human.
    And the issue seems to indicate we get that, which is very nice if they do.
    It has risen my interest in Action comics, the first few issues of this arc werent really good imo and thats why i wanted to drop it, but this issue made me interested in the arc again.

Aquaman/Green Arrow

Was a weird issue but I like the series, the team up is fun and has a lot of potential.
    And more Oliver is always good.
    It feels so comicy to have those two team up and all, feels very nice.

Detective Comics

Good issue to build towards something.
    I really like that they now bring in Chase Meridian as potential ally and what they work towards with her character.
    Not liking this idea of Bruce leaving Gotham and all…but I will give them the chance to convince me.

To me Bruce and Gotham are such an important part of each other.
    I always have problems with the idea that he would “abandon” Gotham.
    To me, The waynes are such a vital part of the city and its people…that’s why im not a huge fan of stories that make the Waynes look shady.
    I love the idea of the Waynes being this 1 in a million kind of People.
    Rich and Powerful, but good hearted as they come.
    That when Thomas and Martha died, the reason the city “fell” so to speak, is because the city took the brightest family away from them, the one family that stood for hope and the good in a city that was crumbling more and more.
    Its why I love when stories focus on Bruce as a Wayne who cares, who does everything in his power as a Wayne, to make the city better, to help the people.
    So that’s why im alwas worried about stories that have bruce leave gotham.

Harley Quinn

Are you kidding me DC…honestly?
    Are you freaking kidding me?
    What kind of Beef do you have against Harley/Ivy? Why do you hate it so much?
    Is it because its two women or what? I don’t get it?
    What do they have against this specific pairing?
    As a Wonderbat shipper im kind of happy that they at least throw a Hard NO at Wonderbat instead of doing what they do over and over with ivy and Harley, dangling it in front of peoples faces…just to snatch it away.
    Awful mean move from DC.
    Not happy at all with this, super dissapointed.

Robin

Not as strong of a issue as previous ones, but still very nice.
    I do trust the team that they could do more, but im also worried that they lose purpose of the story.
    While the strength of this series is how well Damian and every other character works, I feel like if you move away from Damian dealing with Alfreds death, the series could lose a vital aspect of it and turn into something empty.
    For now im super excited for sure, but the little worry is still there that the Series might lose the incredible momentum it has.
    It is one of the top 3 series this year, so it would be sad to see it drop from there while at the same time they spread it out more in terms of locations etc.
    But we will see, for now im still very happy with it.

The Flash

The Flash comics tickle the child in me.
    I don’t have a problem reading Digital and all, I can make myself comfortable well enough…but when I read the Flash comics, I have this urge to have real paper in my hands and flip the pages.
    Cant put my finger onto why, I just do.
    It constantly manages to make me feel like a child in a good way.
    Its hard to explain, maybe because how lighthearted it feels that you only really can do with a character like The Flash and specificly Wally.

There were a few other issues out but I dropped some of them.
    Justice league for now, I decided to drop it because I just cant handle bendis writing at the moment.
    Teen Titans Academy really hasnt captured my interest recently.
    DC vs Vampires I resisted despite the really awesome cover…the previous issues weren’t to my liking so I don’t bother…maybe I will look into it later.

So yeah, a good week to finish the year…a bit anticlimactic but the year was strong enough imo.

The only thing left is to wish everyone a happy new year if im not around tomorrow, and hope that 2022 will bring us all fantastic Comics and stuff.

Babillygunn and CrimsonMist like this.
  23. Herofan Registered

If Alan Moore and Frank Miller put their politics aside and collaborated on a comic could it be the best thing ever? Or at least of the decade?

24. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

I'm a huge Alan Moore fan, and I've liked some of Frank Miller's stuff, but I don't see their styles gelling at all. Also, I know Moore was complimentary about The Dark Knight Returns when it first came out, but later he was pretty disparaging of Miller and his work.

25. CrimsonMist Registered

Perhaps not quite what you had in mind, but amusing nonetheless: Alan Moore's parody of Miller's Daredevil from 1983.

SAP Comics: GRIT