The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 2

First week in November…allegedly the month were about 49 batman related issues are supposed to come out.
Anybody read about this?
I don’t really keep up to date with too much that comes, mostly when you guys post here…I don’t really know a good site to keep up to date on that.
If its not you guys posting or here and there some stuff on Twitter, I never know what to expect.XD

Anway…

Batman #129

Zdarsky you magical Bastard you…god do I love his run so far.
Its just incredible how he structures this in terms of Batman.
How he shows Batmans mind working, the absolute precise planning he can pull off in seconds and all.
I know its not Everyones taste, but I like how OP Failsafe here is to show why Batman is an absolute danger to the JL if he should ever snap.
It gives such a fantastic example what can happen.
Problem I could see with this arc, is the fact that nobody seems to have a chance against Failsafe.
Which ruins the whole idea of having the JL etc in case Batman turns evil.
If he is able to create something like that, then how would they stop him?
But who knows, maybe that is what the Arc will tell us…we will see.
As it stands, the arc just keeps getting better.

Batman & The Joker: The Deadly Duo #1

So far so good, interesting visuals and the writing makes me curious.
Not a lot to go with after 1 issues, but there is potential in this, we will have to wait and see.
The start definitely was interesting.

The Joker: The Man who Stopped Laughing #2

This issue was written very strange, I had trouble reading and understanding it here and there.
The Flow of the sentences etc was off I think, it had a weird vibe to it.
Still, the story itself is interesting and im curious how this turns out.
So far DC is 2 from 2 when it comes to Joker solos…crazy.
I was super invested in The Joker, now im invested in this…not bad DC.

The New Champion of Shazam #3

Excuse me, I just found out this has only 4 issues…WTF DC?
Right over there I was praising you, now you do stuff like that?
Like, why has Batman The Fortress 6 or 8 or what and this only gets 4?

This is such a good book, whoever only gave it 4 issues…sucks.
I wanna see more of Mary, they do a fantastic way of writing the character and her struggles.
I don’t want this to end after the next issue.
It is such a good book.

Poison Ivy #6

Again a great issue to a very interesting and underrated book imo.
Im having a lot of fun with its issues and its always good to get solos for characters that otherwise don’t get too much spotlight.

Twitter keeps spoiling me on Dark Knights of steel…kind of Thankfull for that.
I want to give this a shot but then I see enough to go “nope”.
Like the Preview pages are often enough, which is shame because the idea isn’t bad.
A Medieval based DC Universe is a neat idea, but I don’t like the writing and plot at all.

The Week was fantastic with another incredible Batman issue, a fun Shazam, Joker,Poison Ivy and a possibly good Batman/Joker Teamup.

Tim Drake: Robin #1

Nope, sorry but no…Tim deserves more than this.
Nothing about this works, not the art, not the writing…not the pacing.
And where Jay for Jon works, Bernard and Tim just doesn’t work for me.
Tim and Steph was so good and while I do appreciate the LGBT inclusion for Tim, so far they have done very little with it and it feels less organic than Jay and Jon.

Good week

I never really liked Tim and Steph together but I love Bernard and Tim so far

I think this book is off to a good start personally I am curious to see where things go next

The Flash #787

Ahahahahah, what a dumb fun issue…I love how it makes me feel like a child watching a goofy cartoon or so again.
Space Wrestling and Flash…how can one not love this?
It is such a dumb concept on paper, but so much fun in the end.
This is just someone having a crazy idea for an issue and going for it.
I just cant stop laughing at this issue, its such a joy to read because of the nonsense it is without trying to justify itself.
Just a team of creative people having fun with The Flash…I love it so much.
It helps that im also a wrestling fan, but even if not…this is glorious.

The current Flash run is such a fun read the writer seems to really love telling genuinely fun tales with the characters and it's a book that makes me smile each time I pick it up

Feels like a really nice change after how determined the comic was when Barry was the protagonist to be Serious Business all the time it's nice to have some stories that have this charming positive feel to them

This felt like a story right out of the silver age in a good way

The New Champion of Shazam #3

Excuse me, I just found out this has only 4 issues…WTF DC?
Right over there I was praising you, now you do stuff like that?
Like, why has Batman The Fortress 6 or 8 or what and this only gets 4?

This is such a good book, whoever only gave it 4 issues…sucks.
I wanna see more of Mary, they do a fantastic way of writing the character and her struggles.
I don’t want this to end after the next issue.
It is such a good book.

I am so sad we're only getting one more issue to enjoy Mary's story

This has been such a good read I'm going to miss it

Poison Ivy #6

Again a great issue to a very interesting and underrated book imo.
Im having a lot of fun with its issues and its always good to get solos for characters that otherwise don’t get too much spotlight.

It's been fantastic so far

Very excited to see what G Willow Wilson has planned for the next arc especially since we're going to see Harley and Ivy reunited

After a re-read of Mister Miracle last week I now am getting more of my Tom King fix with Omega Men. This is my second re-read of that series. It is such a masterpiece. For anyone who says that they hate Tom King, I challenge them to read Omega Men, Up in the Sky, Mister Miracle or the new Human Target series.
With Up in the Sky, King shows his love of heroes. With Mister Miracle, it’s his love of family. With Omega Men, you see the residual pain that he has from his previous career and the complexities of his political sensitivities. And he is just having fun with Human Target.

A new week of Comics…wuhu.

Batgirls #12

As usual a good issue.
The Art paired with the writing, just creates a good combination that makes this work.
Its one of those times where both things just fit together so well imo.

Batman Vs Robin #3

You think this is funny DC? I think not.
And we are past the point of playing…bring Alfred back, no ifs or buts…Alfred Pennyworth as he was before his death.
I don’t care how, just do it…enough of this nonsense.

Anyway, the issue was fine.
But im never sure about issues where someone puts the Batfamily against Batman and he dispatches them in a few pages.
I mean I get he trained them and all, but still…it just feels weird how fast and easy they go down against Bruce.
Still, the story so far is super neat and im liking it a lot.

Batman Urban Legends #21

An issue that has two stories I always wanted.
I always thought a Story about some criminal racer or so, something that focuses on Batman having to chase someone with the Batmobile, could be cool.
We all love the Batmobile, so a story with it in the focus…I always thought would be neat.

But the highlight currently is the Murder Club story.
Drawn well and with an story I also find interesting.
With Bruce more and more “getting over” his parents death, I find the idea interesting to do some time travel or so stuff to bring them back.
Because how would Bruce deal with his Parents after all these years, after he used them as fuel for his War, after he used them as the light to move forward.
So this issue gave me both these stories…so im happy.

Superman Son of Kal-El #17

One of these feel good issues or kind of real world related issues…I don’t have a problem with that.
But boy will the “buhu woke” people have a problem with this.
I liked the issue and I feel like it is especially great for LGBT people reading it.
Or in general young people I think could relate to what Jon is going through here quite well.
If such issues help warm peoples hearts and give them confidence and all…I have no problem with it.
I liked the issue.

Wonder Woman #793

Oh man, a Trinity Issue? Count me in.
Its been too long since we had the Trinity do something together.
So that issue was nice for that.
It’s a neat issue showing why the Trinity is just the best.
These 3 characters fit so well together and its just fun.

So yeah, a great week in comics for me.

Batman Vs Robin #3

You think this is funny DC? I think not.
And we are past the point of playing…bring Alfred back, no ifs or buts…Alfred Pennyworth as he was before his death.
I don’t care how, just do it…enough of this nonsense.

Anyway, the issue was fine.
But im never sure about issues where someone puts the Batfamily against Batman and he dispatches them in a few pages.
I mean I get he trained them and all, but still…it just feels weird how fast and easy they go down against Bruce.
Still, the story so far is super neat and im liking it a lot.

Yeah. I love the story as well and I agree about him dispatching the Family. But here I felt like Dick basically handed Batman his lunch pretty well. But for the Alfred thing distracting Dick, you got the impression that Bruce was no match for Nightwing.

I love Mark Waid. He’s my favorite DC writer. I love that he reveres Dick Grayson the way that he does. But I think that he over-values Damien and under-values Stephanie.

I just re-read Alan Moore’s Saga of the Swamp Thing #21. The Anatomy Lesson issue.
This truly is one of the greatest single issues in comic book history.

To me, this and For the Man Who Has Everything are Alan Moore’s best works. I even prefer them to Watchmen or V for Vendetta.

@Babillygunn My favourites of his are The Killing Joke and his astonishing run on Marvelman Miracleman, but I agree Moore is fantastic. When he's on song he's a bona fide genius :up:

@Babillygunn My favourites of his are The Killing Joke and his astonishing run on Marvelman Miracleman, but I agree Moore is fantastic. When he's on song he's a bona fide genius :up:
I have started Miracleman on a few occasions now but have never gotten very far into it. I really need to take the time to invest into it. I heard an interview where Alex Ross said that he was inspired by Miracleman’s fight with Miracleman Jr when he wrote the Superman/Captain Marvel battle in Kingdom Come.

I have started Miracleman on a few occasions now but have never gotten very far into it. I really need to take the time to invest into it. I heard an interview where Alex Ross said that he was inspired by Miracleman’s fight with Miracleman Jr when he wrote the Superman/Captain Marvel battle in Kingdom Come.
That's interesting. Kingdom Come is still my all time #1, but when I read Miracleman subsequently I could definitely see that KC took some inspiration. In many ways Miracleman is like a first run at a lot of the stuff Moore examined in Watchmen, but I actually prefer Miracleman. It's not as polished, but it gripped me more.

That's interesting. Kingdom Come is still my all time #1, but when I read Miracleman subsequently I could definitely see that KC took some inspiration. In many ways Miracleman is like a first run at a lot of the stuff Moore examined in Watchmen, but I actually prefer Miracleman. It's not as polished, but it gripped me more.
From what all I’ve heard, it seems that Miracleman asks a lot of the same questions that Kingdom Come asks, but the stories end up at very different outcomes. At least that’s my understanding from not reading Miracleman.
But now I’m convicted that I need to go ahead and read it.

Also, like you, Kingdom Come is my all time favorite. I actually consider it my third favorite piece of literature in general. I put it ahead of To Kill a Mockingbird.

I would add Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow to that list, personally. Best story I’ve ever read of Kara Zor-El.
Speaking of which, I wonder if it'll ever get a hardcover release. Considering it's not a Black Label book, I'm guessing it won't receive the "deluxe" treatment... :csad:

I want to thank you all for reminding me to order the new Miracleman omnibus! Love this variant cover:

miracleman_nowlan.jpg

Speaking of which, I wonder if it'll ever get a hardcover release. Considering it's not a Black Label book, I'm guessing it won't receive the "deluxe" treatment... :csad:
Yeah unless it develops a cult following or something I doubt we'll ever see such a thing. It really flew under the radar compared to some of King's other work, unfortunately. :(

That's true! :funny: I've got the three-volume hardback collection of Moore's run. I need to get hold of Gaiman's.
Isn't Gaiman finally getting to complete his run now? I'm sure when he's done, that too will get the omni treatment. I definitely need to check out his run sometime. Moore's just seems like such a tough act to follow, but I'm sure if anyone can do it, it's Gaiman.

Read the new issue of The Blue Wall today

Goddamn can DC please just make it a rule that only Greg Rucka can write Renee?

Because what the **** have DC done to her character?

Renee when Rucka was writing her: A bad ass vigilante with a hot girlfriend helping expose fascism and corruption

Renee now: a Blue Lives Matter gutless apologist wasting her life as comissioner of a worthless corrupt and incompetent police force in the ****tiest city in America whose only companion is a ****ing goldfish and her moron of a brother

What's been done to Renee as a character makes the unholy ****show that was Rise of Skywalker look like a triumph of masterful writing

Isn't Gaiman finally getting to complete his run now? I'm sure when he's done, that too will get the omni treatment. I definitely need to check out his run sometime. Moore's just seems like such a tough act to follow, but I'm sure if anyone can do it, it's Gaiman.
I've been hearing for some while that he was finally going to get to finish it. I hope that is the case (I seem to remember it was Moore who suggested Gaiman be the one to take over when he left).

I'll have to read Moore's Miracleman run one of these days. That omnibus looks gorgeous.

Yeah unless it develops a cult following or something I doubt we'll ever see such a thing. It really flew under the radar compared to some of King's other work, unfortunately. :(
Damn shame. I haven't read Woman of Tomorrow yet because I was hoping for the hardcover to be announced/released.

I guess I'll just buy the paperback now and double dip if the HC comes out down the road.

Damn shame. I haven't read Woman of Tomorrow yet because I was hoping for the hardcover to be announced/released.

I guess I'll just buy the paperback now and double dip if the HC comes out down the road.
I recommend it. Issue #3 is one of the most profoundly emotional single issues that I’ve ever read. That issue still haunts me. Great writing by Tom King.

Comics Week…a bit late since quite a lot is going on all around, but here we are still.

Batman/Superman Worlds Finest #9

Oh man, so much good stuff…this Book continues to exceed expectations.
Ratcatcher, Flash Superman Racing, Aqualad etc.
And Dan Moras art…boy that art.
The Character designs…especially Jokers, The Batmobile, the vibrant colors and all…so good.

Batman: One Bad Day – Mr Freeze #1

God damn it, this is why I have a special place in my heart for Mr Freeze.
While he isn’t a character you can use for long periods, his story is a incredible base that talented writer can use and do absolutely fantastic things with.
Do you write him as evil, as desperate, as loving…how do you paint his motives?
So much possible with the character…I always love it when someone uses him.
And here…Magic.
This Issue right here is already one of my favorite Mr Freeze stories.
I don’t think anybody ever tackled him in this way, and I loved every minute of it.
The One Bad Day comics so far really have been incredible strong, really cool.

Black Adam #6

Business as usual…a absolutely good book and every issue keeps the previous level.
Im not regretting buying the issues and have a lot of fun.

Dark Crisis: Worlds Without a Justice League - Batman #1

That one was interesting, I liked it.
I don’t know if that’s just me, but the Batman design looks a bit like a combination of Batman and Owlman…really cool design.
Visual it really was a interesting thing, the world built and all…is I think what is the interesting aspect of that book.

The Flash #788

Here also business as usual, a lot of fun and heart in this.
Crazy ideas that are nicely done.
Such a good run so far and im having a ton of fun reading every issue that came out so far.

Nightwing #98

I was worried about this issue to be honest, but it turned out better than that.
A bit wonky at times and here and there you get the feeling Taylor does stuff in the hopes that people get memes out of it and to have a Twitter Discourse about certain stuff…but for the most part, it works what he does.
Not the strongest issue but also not a really weak one.
Sometimes fun Filler Issues are fine too.

So yeah, a fantastic comic week…really strong.

Nightwing #98

I was worried about this issue to be honest, but it turned out better than that.
A bit wonky at times and here and there you get the feeling Taylor does stuff in the hopes that people get memes out of it and to have a Twitter Discourse about certain stuff…but for the most part, it works what he does.
Not the strongest issue but also not a really weak one.
Sometimes fun Filler Issues are fine too.
I actually loved this issue. I had such a blast with it. Huge smile on my face.

But I am very much behind on my pull list. I need to read Black Adam and Flash.

I actually loved this issue. I had such a blast with it. Huge smile on my face.

But I am very much behind on my pull list. I need to read Black Adam and Flash.
I’m currently reading Black Adam which is fantastic so I recommend it. I really want to read The Flash very bad as far as single issues go but I do have the first trade of Jermey Adams run I just have to find the time to sit down and read it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"