The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'DC Comics' started by flickchick85, Feb 25, 2021.

1. CrimsonMist Registered

Doing a lot of catching up on books I missed due to work, but I wanted to chime in on the Miracleman convo.

The Alan Moore run on Miracleman is such a fascinating experiment because you get the story from two points in Moore's career: The up and coming Alan Moore who is beginning to explore the themes he'll become known for and the established, has-nothing-to-prove maestro of the medium Alan Moore. What's even more insane is how he very seamlessly blends the transition, because he jumps back into Miracleman with issue 6 of the Eclipse series after having been away from that book for several years. I believe he had finished Swamp Thing and was just starting Watchmen when Eclipse started publishing Miracleman in America.

It remains, understandably so, his least read major comic book work. I own the full run of Eclipse books and I go back to it often. Issue 15 gets all of the attention, primarily because of how gruesomely violent it is, but I maintain that issue 16, Moore's final issue, is among the best comics of ALL TIME, and one of the most beautifully written at that. Its contrast with 15 is quite staggering, but is one of the few books I re-read almost monthly.

Cumulatively, Miracleman is an incredible read on several levels and if you haven't read it, I urge you to buy the omnibus and have at it. It's so rewarding. That Gaiman is FINALLY finishing up his run (what would have been issue 25 comes out next month!!!) is one of the few comic book events that I am genuinely beyond excited for.

Also, The Anatomy Lesson, Saga of Swamp Thing #21, is my personal favorite comic of all time. That script is perfect. I read that one twice a month. It works without pictures, that's how good it is. I really wish DC would mine their vaults and reprint the script for that one. I'd love to read it.

2. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

There's no doubt that Moore's Miracleman takes some seriously dark turns.
    Kid Miracleman's story - with the abuse and his ultimate fate (I still have trouble getting my head around the fact that Moore actually went that far!) - is at the same time one of the most tragic, most ****ed up, and most brilliant arcs I've read. The guy is a bona fide genius at coming at comics tropes from a completely unexpected direction

flickchick85 likes this.
  3. Mani-Man I just found out about this (he/him)

Final Comics week before I enter the Christmas season, who knows how busy this will be.
    A week like this works fine, 3 books…that goes fast.

Action Comics #1049

We are moving towards a big Lex/Superman Clash and its been a while.
    Most interesting aspect currently imo is what they have planned with Metallo.
    We will see what they have in store for the big 1050, im looking forward to it.
    It looks like the Superman Family will get a big push in 2023 and im all here for it.
    Looking forward to it.

Detective Comics #1066

I love the run so far, it has such a great vibe and you know something is good when you reach the end of the issue and go “God damn it no, not now”.
    That is what happens here.
    Of course including Two Face in a story is always a good thing.
    So far im super happy with this run.

Harley Quinn #24

Ehm what?
    That Reveal is…something.
    Like yeah I get the appeal of the Dark Multiverse and all, but I don’t know…seems kind of an empty reveal to a story that could have been more.
    But we will see where this goes, what the reason is etc.
    I still miss the old art style, it just fit the Crazyness of it all, but the mature art has its positives.
    Harley looks really good and I could see Sherlock Harley become a Cosplay hit…I really liked hat look, I was fun.
    Anyway, the Book continues to be interesting and im not bored by it at all.

I gave Tim Drake Robin another chance, but gave up after a handful of pages.
    It is just not working, the writing, the art…it is not working for me.
    Which is so annoying because a Tim Drake solo…the one Robin that desperately needs a Solo to get some work done, and then it is not working at all for me.
    It is so annoying, finally Tim gets a spotlight and then its absolutely not good.
    That is worse than not getting a Solo at all.

Anway, the rest was as expected from those titles.
    They keep delivering good stuff and the money is well spent on these books imo.

4. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

I’m about half way through Moore’s Miracleman. It is provocative, beautiful and darkly haunting. I think the writing is just wonderful. I thought that the tone change from the first issue that was classically golden age to the darker tone of issue 2 was simply brilliant and perfectly executed.

And yes, Anatomy Lesson is soooo cinematic in how the story unfolds. I love it!

flickchick85 and Milk Tray Guy like this.
  5. Gee Rebirth

DC reprinted the Gotham Central omni earlier this year and nobody told me about it?! :argh:

Looks like they've improved the spine. Gotta get my hands on it before it gets out of print again...

Babillygunn and flickchick85 like this.
  6. lespaul59 Registered

Are the Wonder Woman Historia and the Green Lantern Jessica Cruz stories worth buying? I just learned about both in the last week. I know WWH only has two issues out and Jessica is my second favorite Lantern.

7. Slick Yup

Read Superman: Son of Kal #17 and Clark is just the best parent that anybody could have. Right up there with my dear mom.

Babillygunn likes this.
  8. lespaul59 Registered

I'm starting to discover so much stuff that's came out over the last couple of years that I had no idea was even a thing. I just discovered the Harleen hardcover/series and also discovered that the version with the cool dust jacket is gonna be a pain to track down and most likely cost more than I might be willing to pay. Who am I kidding its more like cost more than I will pay.

I've also been surprised at how it seems like random volumes of trades are seemingly out of print. I know the pandemic hurt things but why is say volume 3 of George Perry's Wonder Woman so had to find when I'm pretty sure vol. 1,2 and 4-6 are easy to find. I think The New Teen Titans has a similar problem and I'm still looking for a physical copy of Jack Kirby's Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen.

9. flickchick85 Admin of Might

I haven’t read either but I’ve heard good things about Historia. I’ll definitely be looking to pick that up when it’s all collected.

10. flickchick85 Admin of Might

I’ve recently run into this with JLA. I have all the deluxe TPB’s except Vol. 5, and that seems to be the only one out of print for some reason. The ones both before and after that seem pretty easy to find.

11. Gee Rebirth

Yeah I've heard nothing but great things. I didn't pick up the single issues back then since there are only two so I figured I might as well wait. As of today, the collected edition has not been announced... :dry:

@CrimsonMist and/or @Mani-Man probably read it so they could share their thoughts on the book.

flickchick85 likes this.
  12. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

So, I finally finished Moore’s Miracleman run. Wow. I’m going to need to take some time to let it all sink in.

13. CrimsonMist Registered

Wonder Woman Historia is the best book DC is publishing. In both writing and art, it transcends the genre completely. For a character who has had her origin told and retold too many times over the last 10 years, Historia is shaping up to be THE definitive Wonder Woman story. But more than that, this book deserves to be up there with the other rare books of this caliber, like Watchmen and Hawkworld and Dark Knight Returns.

You owe it to yourself to read it.

flickchick85 likes this.
  14. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

Astonishing, isn't it. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.