The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 2

So what's the deal with the Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen by Jack Kirby tpb? Does this thing stay sold out or has it already been put out of production? I bought Mr Miracle when it first came out and I just decided to get New Gods and The Forever People to what I thought was finish the set only to discover SPJO was available also. And ever since I've not been able to find a physical copy. I'm sure I could have overlooked it somewhere. Unless it's already out of production I never thought finding a copy would be any harder than doing a search on Amazon.

Been a while since I've posted but...

Infinite Frontier seems to have injected a palpable amount of vigor across DC's publishing line. Having read Swamp Thing, Nightwing, The Flash, Detective Comics, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Superman, Action Comics and Detective Comics, I couldn't help but feel excitement and joy coming off the pages. Not a single one of these books were bad, and in the case of Nightwing and The Flash, some were pretty great.

Unfortunately, the price point is a total killer. Of the 9 books above, 6 are $5.00. The Tom King books (soon to be 4) are all also $5.00.

And then, when I factor in Williamson's Robin ($4), the Mister Miracle mini ($4), and the Image(1)/Boom(1)/Marvel(3) stuff I read, the month to month cost is insane.

It's unfortunate, but I'm really beginning to feel like collecting and reading physical comics is no longer a feasible hobby.

Infinite Frontier seems to have injected a palpable amount of vigor across DC's publishing line. Having read Swamp Thing, Nightwing, The Flash, Detective Comics, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Superman, Action Comics and Detective Comics, I couldn't help but feel excitement and joy coming off the pages. Not a single one of these books were bad, and in the case of Nightwing and The Flash, some were pretty great.

Unfortunately, the price point is a total killer. Of the 9 books above, 6 are $5.00. The Tom King books (soon to be 4) are all also $5.00.

And then, when I factor in Williamson's Robin ($4), the Mister Miracle mini ($4), and the Image(1)/Boom(1)/Marvel(3) stuff I read, the month to month cost is insane.

It's unfortunate, but I'm really beginning to feel like collecting and reading physical comics is no longer a feasible hobby.

It comes down to how much one enjoys an issue i think.
I find the price often fair when i look at the art alone.
When i look at Jorge Jiménez art...thats worth more than 5 bucks imo.
And when the coloring is good and the writing, i dont see a problem with the price.

But it is an expensive hobby for sure.
10-20$ each week is a building up to quite a lot each month.

Anyway...Comic week

Batman The Detective...not sure yet to be honest.
It is a hit and a miss in terms of the writing and Art.
Some of the panels look damn good, others a bit weird.
I dont know, i expected more from this...but lets see where this goes, im still interested so that first issue seems to make something right.

Batman Urban Legends, i like the Story with Jason and im super interested in how this plays out.

Superman, eh yeah i think i drop this.
It is probably nitpicking but i cant deal with the fact that we dont have young Jon and instead teen Jon...it is a wound i just cant handle.
I want the little boy back...also the story so far is rather boring, doesnt capture my interest.

The Joker, the second issue worked better than the first, especially the part with Gordon.
But still its a weird thing to give Joker his own comic...just weird.

Wonder Woman, still loving this, its a really cool story so far and the art has something that i find really enjoyable.
The Visuals, be it the background or character design, its super neat.

Agreed. I may be taking the road of waiting 6 months to read everything on DC Universe Infinite and then buy the issues that I like most. (Or most likely I may just go into debt further). So far I haven’t read any Infinite Frontier stuff aside from Batman and Nightwing and Joker. I dropped Superman after Bendis and I don’t see myself reading Red Hood post Lobdell. I will probably pick up the Green Arrow/Black Canary book and some Tom King books, but I typically like to read King’s books as a trade rather than monthly.

Is the Mister Miracle mini going to be Shilo Norman or Scott Free?

Neal Adams has been doing variant covers for JOKER for retailer exclusives.
Love this cover to JOKER #3. Homage of Adams own cover to BATMAN #234.

NAjoker3.jpg Batman234.jpg

Agreed. I may be taking the road of waiting 6 months to read everything on DC Universe Infinite and then buy the issues that I like most. (Or most likely I may just go into debt further). So far I haven’t read any Infinite Frontier stuff aside from Batman and Nightwing and Joker. I dropped Superman after Bendis and I don’t see myself reading Red Hood post Lobdell. I will probably pick up the Green Arrow/Black Canary book and some Tom King books, but I typically like to read King’s books as a trade rather than monthly.

Is the Mister Miracle mini going to be Shilo Norman or Scott Free?

I had to make a list of all the books I'm reading and started chopping. Fortunately, most of what's left are maxi and mini series that are ending within the next 6 months. But I think I may make the jump to digital as well. Not only will it help me reduce my spending habits, but it freezes my ever expanding collection (I still intend to make that collectors thread).

I gotta stick with the Tom King books month to month. Batman/Catwoman is a bit sluggish, but Strange Adventures and (especially) Rorschach have been too great to wait for.

The new Mister Miracle mini focuses on Shilo Norman.

Batman: The Detective was cool. Kubert's art is great as always but I'm not super invested in it enough to continue.

After some deliberation, I put Action, Superman, and Wonder Woman on the chopping block. Its a shame as I enjoyed all of them immensely, but the back-ups were total slogs and makes it not worth the price of admission.

New week new comics

I checked out Marvels Alien comic issue 1 and that was really neat i have to say.
Definitly will give issue 2 a try, but since its not DC i can wait a while for it.

Batman/Fortnite i dont really have any interest in reading, heard it sells reeeeeeeaaaaalllly well.
If it brings in new comic fans who stick with DC, im fine with it.
Personally i dont get the hype for Fortnite, but i dont need to.

Justice league, im really liking the group so far and im interested where this goes.
Do we know already what happened with Black Adam? I feel like i really should read the infinite frontier thing soon, or i miss stuff.
I dont know what to think about him, Black Adam was always a cool villian...but i wont deny that im really into this new direction.
So far i really like it...despite bendis being on board.

Oh Nightwing, how i love you.
Loving the tone, the art, the writing.
Also i appreciate the tiny history lesson on Blüdhaven, because honestly, i dont know a lot about it.
I know its not as bad as Gotham, but thats about it...i really need to go back and get me some Nightwing comics. :)

That was about it for this week, not too much going and not too expensive this time.
But next week, will be kicking my butt financially.

Action comics(which hooks me mostly because of the cool cover),Batman/Superman,Detective Comics(im super interested in Mr Worth, he looks interesting),Harley Quinn, Robin, Suicide Squad Bad Blood.

New week new comics

I checked out Marvels Alien comic issue 1 and that was really neat i have to say.
Definitly will give issue 2 a try, but since its not DC i can wait a while for it.

Batman/Fortnite i dont really have any interest in reading, heard it sells reeeeeeeaaaaalllly well.
If it brings in new comic fans who stick with DC, im fine with it.
Personally i dont get the hype for Fortnite, but i dont need to.

Justice league, im really liking the group so far and im interested where this goes.
Do we know already what happened with Black Adam? I feel like i really should read the infinite frontier thing soon, or i miss stuff.
I dont know what to think about him, Black Adam was always a cool villian...but i wont deny that im really into this new direction.
So far i really like it...despite bendis being on board.

Oh Nightwing, how i love you.
Loving the tone, the art, the writing.
Also i appreciate the tiny history lesson on Blüdhaven, because honestly, i dont know a lot about it.
I know its not as bad as Gotham, but thats about it...i really need to go back and get me some Nightwing comics. :)

That was about it for this week, not too much going and not too expensive this time.
But next week, will be kicking my butt financially.

Action comics(which hooks me mostly because of the cool cover),Batman/Superman,Detective Comics(im super interested in Mr Worth, he looks interesting),Harley Quinn, Robin, Suicide Squad Bad Blood.

Nightwing was great again. And I am very interested in seeing what happens next.

Tom Taylor definitely gets that character.

I am giving the Flash another chance since Wally is back. I’m still looking forward to Barry handing the reigns over to Wally full time. He’s kind of outstayed his welcome as far as I’m concerned. I enjoyed this week and the Gold Beetle character. She was kind of entertaining.

Isn’t there supposed to be a Green Arrow Black Canary book coming out? When does it release?

Isn’t there supposed to be a Green Arrow Black Canary book coming out? When does it release?

First i head about that.
I know in July or so there is one of those big Anniversary comics coming out for Green Arrows 80th Anniversary...but thats about it.
Havent heard a thing about Dinah or Oliver in Infinite Frontier so far.

I just finished the latest SW Epic book, Dark Empire. This was a fun book because Dark Empire was the first SW comic I had as a kid. Actually, I only had the middle part of the trilogy so there were a bunch of new material for me in this book.
The story is fine, nothing amazing, but there are a bunch of nice scenes and encounters between characters. Not super fond of the cloning and the fact that you can just turn someone into a force user at will.
The art. This is something I remember as disliking as a kid but now I see it with different eyes and I might go so far as to say the art is beautiful. I've read other stuff recently made by the same guy and yeah, Cam Kennedy's art is really good.

And we have another week of Comics.
Im thinking about changing my schedule, i do like reading my comics early in the morning...but i dont know, seems like a thing to do later on the couch.

How do most of you read the comics?
If its online then you have unlimited choices pretty much, so its either way on that.

Anyway...on to the comics.

Action Comics, hooked me mostly because of its Awesome cover...its one of those issues where i so want to have it in physical form because of the cover.
The issue was fine, but i slowly get the feeling that i need a complete break on Superman.
Im not feeling IT, maybe Bendis has drained my interest in the character.

Batman/Superman was neat but confusing, i have to read the thing a few times because i lost somehow what the the hell was going while reading.
Dont know, had a weird pacing and writing that threw me off.

Detective Comics was cool, not what i was expecting but it is a good start.
Goes to show that i should read the description maybe more often, because the basic storyline of this is written on the DC page...but i love to go in completely unspoiled.
Thats why i read the comics as soon as they are out.
Anyway, had to laugh when they Explained Mr Worth as "He is old Money and built Half of Gotham".
How many "Old Money people who built half of Gotham do we have now?"
Feels like every rich person we get has built up Gotham city...not a problem to me, i just found it funny.
Oh i loved that Penguin sat behind Bruce in the church, a few days i thought it would be neat seeing him again.
Liked the Huntress story too.
The Character of Mr Worth has potential, like his Design a lot.

Gave Harley Quinn a chance, but the art style is just too wonky to me.
Not my cup of beer and distracts me too much.
For now i will drop this, maybe i give it a shot later down the road again.

Robin was actually pretty neat i have to say.
Damians Costume has something, i find it quite neat.
Interested where this goes and it gave me the slight hope we get more Batfamily.
I love how much Barbara we got recently.

Teen Titans Academy again is not my cup, cant say why, it just doesnt hit me enough to keep going.

Overall a mixed back of a week, but at least the Batman part of DC comics keeps me pleased.

Next week will be interesting.

Im starting with Green Lantern again and need to back into Swamp Thing, Crime Syndicate also is interesting so far.
Of course Batman the main course, although im a bit worried about this Miracle Molly...she looks a bit too much for my taste.
Too colorful and stuff, but we will see.

I picked up Batman Black & White #5 today primarily for the Lee Weeks story, but found myself adoring the Kieron Gillen/Jamie McKelvie story. It's a Riddler story, but it's told as "Chose your own adventure" story. I'm not finished going through all of the options, but it's probably the most clever Riddler story told in quite a while.

Im thinking about changing my schedule, i do like reading my comics early in the morning...but i dont know, seems like a thing to do later on the couch.

If its online then you have unlimited choices pretty much, so its either way on that.

Anyway...on to the comics.

Action Comics, hooked me mostly because of its Awesome cover...its one of those issues where i so want to have it in physical form because of the cover.
The issue was fine, but i slowly get the feeling that i need a complete break on Superman.
Im not feeling IT, maybe Bendis has drained my interest in the character.

Batman/Superman was neat but confusing, i have to read the thing a few times because i lost somehow what the the hell was going while reading.
Dont know, had a weird pacing and writing that threw me off.

Detective Comics was cool, not what i was expecting but it is a good start.
Goes to show that i should read the description maybe more often, because the basic storyline of this is written on the DC page...but i love to go in completely unspoiled.
Thats why i read the comics as soon as they are out.
Anyway, had to laugh when they Explained Mr Worth as "He is old Money and built Half of Gotham".
How many "Old Money people who built half of Gotham do we have now?"
Feels like every rich person we get has built up Gotham city...not a problem to me, i just found it funny.
Oh i loved that Penguin sat behind Bruce in the church, a few days i thought it would be neat seeing him again.
Liked the Huntress story too.
The Character of Mr Worth has potential, like his Design a lot.

Gave Harley Quinn a chance, but the art style is just too wonky to me.
Not my cup of beer and distracts me too much.
For now i will drop this, maybe i give it a shot later down the road again.

Robin was actually pretty neat i have to say.
Damians Costume has something, i find it quite neat.
Interested where this goes and it gave me the slight hope we get more Batfamily.
I love how much Barbara we got recently.

Teen Titans Academy again is not my cup, cant say why, it just doesnt hit me enough to keep going.

Overall a mixed back of a week, but at least the Batman part of DC comics keeps me pleased.

Next week will be interesting.

Im starting with Green Lantern again and need to back into Swamp Thing, Crime Syndicate also is interesting so far.
Of course Batman the main course, although im a bit worried about this Miracle Molly...she looks a bit too much for my taste.
Too colorful and stuff, but we will see.
I love your weekly reviews. Please keep them up.

I got around to Detective Comics and Robin this week. I have Titans Academy waiting for me but I still haven’t read the first issue yet.

I’m really enjoying Detective even if I’m not in love with the Mayor or his storyline. I find his character irritating. But I like this more street level Batman that we are seeing.

Robin was a very solid start and I am really interested to see what they do with Connor Hawke. They have a lot of explaining to do with him and it will be interesting to see if he crosses over with GA in Justice League at all.

I really want a GA/Black Canary book. I swear I heard somewhere that they were releasing one in this reboot, but I guess I was wrong. I don’t love him leading the JL. He should be a hero for the people, not a crisis-level hero.

I picked up Batman Black & White #5 today primarily for the Lee Weeks story, but found myself adoring the Kieron Gillen/Jamie McKelvie story. It's a Riddler story, but it's told as "Chose your own adventure" story. I'm not finished going through all of the options, but it's probably the most clever Riddler story told in quite a while.

I keep forgetting Black & White and something about it always makes me go "Eh for that you have later time"
Dont know why because i heard good things about it so far.

I love your weekly reviews. Please keep them up.

Thank you, i will...i quite enjoy writing down my thoughts on the issues.

I’m really enjoying Detective even if I’m not in love with the Mayor or his storyline. I find his character irritating. But I like this more street level Batman that we are seeing.

Either they plan big things or have lost interest, because Nakanos backstory is quite neat and makes him a good opposition to Batman without feeling like the bad guy.
But recently he seems to be rather unimportant and not as "hard" as he seemed when he was running for Mayor.
Its a cool idea to have the Mayor of Gotham being against Batman and a character that is not just there to be killed or attacked by a villian.
This is a character that actually thinks Masked Vigilantes are part of the problem and wants to keep Gotham safe from those and the villians like bane, joker etc.
Its a neat idea but currently the character is weirdly all over the place on his behaviour.

I do want them to go back to a more traditional status quo, Gordon being Batmans Buddy, Alfred being alive, Bruce being the Billionare who can help gotham as both batman and bruce...but i wont deny that the current status quo is quite neat.

I really want a GA/Black Canary book. I swear I heard somewhere that they were releasing one in this reboot, but I guess I was wrong. I don’t love him leading the JL. He should be a hero for the people, not a crisis-level hero.

Oh they better Release more than during this reboot no matter how long that one goes.

I do like Oliver in the League of course, but yeah, he never struck me as one of the "Main" force.
I always see him as the leader of the team that draws a line in the sand and is there to save and protect the people while the main force is neutralizing the threat.

I just read whenever I have the time and the mental energy for it. With 2 young kids around though it's getting harder everyday lol. Every now and then I can find 15-20min in the middle of the day for myself, so a cup of coffee and a book (or comic book) is a nice way to treat myself :D Usually though, most of my reading takes place in the evening when the kids are asleep.
My digital comics I mostly read while at work :cwink:

Speaking of digital, there's a pretty big Star Wars sale on Comixology right now. I picked up a lot of books and has finished reading the 2013 Star Wars title (20 issues only I believe). I'm not super happy about the characterisations sometimes, and I don't understand why they make Chewie bark like a dog most of the time. All in all though I think it was a solid read.
Roughly half of the issues are drawn by a gentlemen called Carlos D'Anda, and those issues are stellar-looking. The rest of them varies a bit in that regard though.

I normally read them in bed, last thing before I settle (easily done with trades).

I’ve done all my comics-reading digitally since I first really got into them in college. The rise of digital comics was like my gateway into serious comic-reading (I say “serious” because I did read the odd comic here or there as a kid, mainly the ones my friends had and would pass around). And then, the comics I truly love, I buy the physical copies of. So until my recent discovery of buying cheap comic lots on EBay that has resulted in me owning lots of extras, some of which I haven’t even read yet, my collection was only made up entirely of my faves.

As for when I read ‘em, sometimes it’s on my iPad before bed, but I also like to read from DCU Infinite (autoplay!) on my 65-inch TV when I’m doing my exercise bike.

I've had The first trade for Jla by Morrison on my shelf for surely a couple of years and this weekend I finally started (and finished it). It took a few issues for me to like it but I have already decided to get at least another volume.
I found it extremely funny that Jeff Goldblum had a "cameo" in one of the issues :D

Read Batman Urban Legends #1. Clearly DC doing anthology stuff a lot these days.
The Chip Zdarsky Batman/Red Hood story was worth reading, as was the The Grifter story. Rest was forgettable cr*p. Will Pick up #2 just becouse two of the stories are worth reading. I want to read Batman stuff but want stay away from Scott Snyder and Tom King.

Enjoying the "Crime Syndicate" miniseries.

Finished also reading the White Knight Presents: Harley Quinn series. Really mediocre story with great art. One of those stories were you notices how modern editors hardly do anything these days.

I've had The first trade for Jla by Morrison on my shelf for surely a couple of years and this weekend I finally started (and finished it). It took a few issues for me to like it but I have already decided to get at least another volume.
I found it extremely funny that Jeff Goldblum had a "cameo" in one of the issues :D

Possibly my favorite comic-book run of all time. the Grant Morrisn JLA run.

Possibly my favorite comic-book run of all time. the Grant Morrisn JLA run.
Nice. Afterwards I remembered something about a miniseries, A Midsummers Nightmare or something, that sets up this run. Is that something you would recommend reading?

Yeah, that is also a good story, almost like a pilot-episode to the actual run. I have not read it in probably 10 years, but I remember liking it.

Pre pandemic, digital comics at my desk on my lunch break was always my highlight of the work day and kept me sane. Since I have been primarily working from home, I usually find some time to distract myself in the middle of the day.

These days, digital comics are my staple. Especially with the DC Universe app. I do like going to the local comic shop every week or two with my sons and loitering for a while though.

Back in the day, I used to like to read comics at the local library.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"