The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 2

DC FINALLY announced Mark Waid’s Black Label Birthright sequel - Superman: The Last Days of Lex Luthor

DC Announces Two New Series from Mark Waid | DC

press_041223_waid_Superman%20The%20Last%20Days%20of%20Lex%20Luthor%201.jpg

First issue out in July! :jd:

upload_2023-4-13_9-9-41.gif

Between this and Mark Waid’s announcement that he’s doing a Teen Titans book set in the World’s Finest timeframe, this is an exciting time!

Unfortunately no Comics week this time.
Outside of Danger Street, nothing captures my interest and i havent started Danger street yet...so going in with issue 5 would be kind of weird.

I cant wait for Waids Sequel to Birthright...but 3 issues seems a bit short.
But i take what i can get...really excited for this one.

And he is getting a Teen Titans Book? Oh hell yeah.
Man, Teen Titans fans eat good too this year.
Now we only need some Green Lantern, Aquaman and Martian Manhunter stuff.
But this year looks insane good for DC comics fans already.

Unfortunately no Comics week this time.
Outside of Danger Street, nothing captures my interest and i havent started Danger street yet...so going in with issue 5 would be kind of weird.

I cant wait for Waids Sequel to Birthright...but 3 issues seems a bit short.
But i take what i can get...really excited for this one.

And he is getting a Teen Titans Book? Oh hell yeah.
Man, Teen Titans fans eat good too this year.
Now we only need some Green Lantern, Aquaman and Martian Manhunter stuff.
But this year looks insane good for DC comics fans already.

You've gotta pick up the first 5 issues of Danger Street! It's so good!

Waid's new Superman book looks like it'll probably be an oversized Black Label book, meaning it'll most likely be a 64 page book. Hitch's artwork looks pretty damn good, too. All of his characters still have that dead-eye look, but it seems much more detailed and expressive than he's been in years. Kevin Nowlan's inks really help the art shine, too.

DC is definitely dropping a lot of gems this year, it seems. I'm hoping Aquaman gets a bit more love in the vein DC's been keeping him. I just re-read KSD's full run before cancellation and it was just as great as when I read it the first time. As we get closer to the film release, I'm sure they'll announce something.

After a week without it, we have an new comic week…and this one is pretty full.

Batgirls #17

Shapes up to be a incredible Arc already.
The Plot so far is really good, the pacing was great and I found myself being really excited when Cassandra was on the move because I wanted to see if she catches the shooter.
There was this “sitting on the edge” feeling I didn’t expect.
And as usual I love seeing Stephanie and Cassandra as a team…of course Barbara is always cool too.
I really will miss this series when its over.
Because I feel it gets better and better.

Only 2 other covers to choose, they are neat but I prefer standard on this.

Batman / Superman: World's Finest #14

What is there to say to this?
It is such a great series where the writing and arc is so incredible.
Especially when you have Bruce and Clark and how they argue etc…this is so incredible on point, what people always wanted to see more.
This is really such an incredible series, I don’t understand people who don’t have this on their list.
It’s a must read and on all accounts incredible good.
Of course cant forget the current arc that is really interesting.

On here too, all the covers are neat but I prefer the Standard.

Black Adam #10

That one was better than the last, but there are pacing issues.
I could see this being a book that works better when reading it all in one go.
Because I find myself stumbling here and there over things because I felt like I missed an issue.
It has sadly taken a bit of quality hit in the last 3-4 issues, still good but the first issues have been far better paced and planned imo.
Still, im digging the story…even though I have to go through it 2-3 times.

And for the third time, all the covers are really good…but I prefer the Regular one.
Seems to be a pattern this week.

The Flash #797

Oh this was fun and im super surprised this was just one issue.
There was a ton in this and it feels twice as long as it was.

It was a fun, little story that even threw in something I think many of us miss a hell of a lot.
The Super sons…not grown up Jon with Damian, no Kids Super Sons.

And boy did this make me miss them even more.
That was incredible.
Seeing them again, oh man…one of DCs Biggest mistakes in recent years.
Taking away this from us, such a shame.

Anyway, 3 issues left…lets enjoy Adams run one last time.

The Main Cover is fitting for the story, the rest is the usual great pieces you cant go wrong with either.
Great covers to collect.

Nightwing #103

This one continues to be fun, even though i slowly want them to return to Nightwing focused stuff instead of Titans.

Still, its cool to see the spotlight the Titans get, so I think I should enjoy that for as long as it goes.
The Arc is fun and im liking the pacing and the vibe.
Outside that, it’s the usual good stuff you expect from a nightwing issue.

I definitely love the Travis Moore cover…that one is pretty cool.
But you don’t go wrong with any of them.

Superman #3

Williamson and Campbell are already a dream team…holy god are those two good together.
Its such a fun run so far and this issue is elevating the run even.
I can only repeat the stuff I said the other issues because this issue too has this incredible high level.
Im looking forward to what they have in store for us for this Series.

On this one I like the Francesco Mattina one, that is so incredible imo.

But the Regular one or Steve Rude’s are fanastic too and fit the story.

Wonder Woman #798

Im so glad for the Arc, it gave WW much needed fire.
This arc doesn’t feel as empty as many of the previous ones.

The writing is more crisp and the art Is cleaner and stronger.

You could see that by the fights here.
Some panels you noticed a dip in quality, but the big ones hit well.

I have to say it again and again, Steve Trevor is useless.
Dudes only thing is “I love and trust Diana”, he is absolutely useless 90% of the time and boring as hell.
I will die on that hill.
This is what the General public thinks Jimmy Olsen is.
Such a boring character that gets pointless screen time to not do or say anything new and with substance.

Anyway, rest was cool and I loved the Climax of this.
WW getting the powers of Shazam is a cool twist that never crossed my mind.

Quite a big Comics Week that was absolutely great.
Many fun reads that are worth the price for sure.

Next week Action comics and Detective Comics…juhu.

It was a fun, little story that even threw in something I think many of us miss a hell of a lot.
The Super sons…not grown up Jon with Damian, no Kids Super Sons.

And boy did this make me miss them even more.
That was incredible.
Seeing them again, oh man…one of DCs Biggest mistakes in recent years.
Taking away this from us, such a shame.

And as usual I love seeing Stephanie and Cassandra as a team…of course Barbara is always cool too.
I really will miss this series when its over.
Because I feel it gets better and better.

I am extremely pleased with the state of creative teams and decisions currently at DC. However, I do have to agree with you on these two fronts. Cancelling Batgirls is a disappointment and the aging up of Jon has been a disaster. The other two missteps have been killing off Alfred and having Jim Gordon step down as commissioner. But at least Ram V is doing some interesting stuff with Jim and also Montoya.

I was discussing this with someone earlier today. Here is an idea that I cannot believe no one at DC has ever thought of.

Azrael would be a great fit as a member of JL Dark.

I was discussing this with someone earlier today. Here is an idea that I cannot believe no one at DC has ever thought of.

Azrael would be a great fit as a member of JL Dark.

You know, that is a really good idea...i dont get why nobody thought of that before.

---------

Last comic book week of April

Action Comics #1054

Things continue on this to be incredible well.
A great arc continues, there is not much else to say to this.
One thing I notice is how I am so thirsty for Wholesome, Good Superman stuff.
Like I can not tell you how much it heals my soul to see a Superman that reaches out to help someone, even if that person tried to kill him and his family.
Those last few years of “Evil Superman” really have been super annoying and hard.
I cant get enough of Boy scout Superman.
The Nicer he is, the better.
Guess part of that has to do with the world we are in, where it seems almost like people get more and more angry and mean to each other.

Anyway…Covers as usual the artists bring their A game to the Superman comics.
But I prefer the Regular one, that one is Fire.

Detective Comics #1071

God I love it so much.
Ram V’s Writing is just something else that captures you so much.
Every issue feels twice as long with twice as much content.
His writing has such a great pacing and depth, it takes you into this world and tells its story in a incredible way.

As for covers, the usual, Ivan Reis goes hard…but the regular one has this vibe that fits the Story.

Green Arrow #1

YESSSSSSSSS, YEEEESSSS.
This is it, inject it into my Veins.
Everyone buy this, we need to make this a ongoing.
Its been what? 4 years?
4 Years when we last got a Green Arrow comic series.
And it was about time we got a new solo.
Its perfect, the Art, the writing, the characters…give me 134351 issues of this thing.
Go read it and then buy it a few more times and read those too.
Tell your family to buy those…buy these comics.

And go with the Regular cover, although the Frank Cho one is cool too because it has Dinah front and center.
Anyway…buy this.

Harley Quinn #29

They are losing me here.
The Writing and visuals are super hard to follow, its one giant crazy Issue I have a hard time following.
I don’t know if that is a problem for me because English isn’t my first language, although I hardly ever have problem because of this.
But the writing gives me quite a bit trouble for some reason, its stuttering and flowing very unnatural.
I cant explain it too well I think, but the writing feels just very confusing…and not in a good Harley Quinn character way.
And the visuals are at times too much that it is distracting me.

I don’t know if that is a personal problem on my end or if the arc is supposed to be this weird…but im not a huge fan.
Its very exhausting and not in a enjoyable way.
I don’t want to give up on the solo because I enjoy it a lot when its good crazy, but this current arc is just not my thing.

As for the covers, the main one is fine.
But I like Natali Sanders one too.
It reminds me of the Cosplay covers Red Sonja, Vampirella etc have.
I doubt we will ever see something like this at DC because of course these are targeted towards a Mature audience, but I like the overall idea of having Cosplayers involved in Variant Covers.
But I digress on the topic.

A good comic week…especially thanks to Green Arrow.
Dont forget to BUY the Green Arrow comic, subscribe to it etc…we need this to be so good that it becomes a ongoing and not limited.
Because the next step is getting Aquaman back for a ongoing.

Green Arrow #1

YESSSSSSSSS, YEEEESSSS.
This is it, inject it into my Veins.
Everyone buy this, we need to make this a ongoing.
Its been what? 4 years?
4 Years when we last got a Green Arrow comic series.
And it was about time we got a new solo.
Its perfect, the Art, the writing, the characters…give me 134351 issues of this thing.
Go read it and then buy it a few more times and read those too.
Tell your family to buy those…buy these comics.
Lol. I was going to wait until this went to Ultra, but I might have to run out and get it now.
Please tell me that Williamson does not water down the politics, though. Left wing Ollie is awesome!

Anyone checked out Paul Dano's Riddler Year One story? It's getting a great reception.

I put the hardcover edition on my Amazon wishlist.

Michael Keaton's Batman Officially Joins DC Comics' Main Continuity

"Bruce Wayne comes face-to-face with Batman '89's Dark Knight, who was played by Michael Keaton in the Tim Burton-directed film, in DC's Batman #135. In the current "The Bat-Man of Gotham," Bruce has found himself trapped in an alternate version of Gotham following a battle with Failsafe. In order to get home, Bruce has had to face Red Mask -- a dangerous version of the Joker who is messing around with multiversal energy in an attempt to learn more about Prime Earth's Clown Prince of Crime. Bruce gets sucked into Red Mask's multiverse device after being betrayed by this world's version of Catwoman/Selina Kyle in Batman #135. While this causes him to meet and interact many different versions of the Dark Knight over the course of the issue, the first place Bruce lands is in the Batman '89 universe."

Well that looks pretty cool!

"Bruce Wayne comes face-to-face with Batman '89's Dark Knight, who was played by Michael Keaton in the Tim Burton-directed film, in DC's Batman #135. In the current "The Bat-Man of Gotham," Bruce has found himself trapped in an alternate version of Gotham following a battle with Failsafe. In order to get home, Bruce has had to face Red Mask -- a dangerous version of the Joker who is messing around with multiversal energy in an attempt to learn more about Prime Earth's Clown Prince of Crime. Bruce gets sucked into Red Mask's multiverse device after being betrayed by this world's version of Catwoman/Selina Kyle in Batman #135. While this causes him to meet and interact many different versions of the Dark Knight over the course of the issue, the first place Bruce lands is in the Batman '89 universe."

Well that looks pretty cool!
I just read the newest issue that’s on Ultimate. I didn’t know that it was going here though.

I’m still officially freaked out that
Bruce got his hand chopped off

First Comics week of May and its quite a full one.

Adventures of Superman: Jon Kent #3

Eh I don’t know, at first I was interested in the story…until I realized that this will be pretty much like the Injustice 2 story with Jon in Karas place.
He will find out that Regime Superman is the bad guy and help Batman.
I was more interested in the whole “Ultraman kills Supermen from different worlds” thing.
But lets see if they find 1 or 2 unique things to do on this…hopefully.
The issue itself wasn’t bad, I like how the writing has Jon notice the fear without showing it on every corner…that was neat.

I like the Main Cover of this a lot, but the other ones are fine too.
They don’t fit the story, but are neat.

Batman #135

After 2 or so weaker issues, Issue 900 was absolutely insane.
There was stuff in for everyone.
We got heartwarming Alfred/Bruce, we got the end with Tim saving Bruce.
And we got this incredible Journey through the Multiverse where we get shown Bruce meeting different Batman.
Beyond, Gaslight, Adam West, Miller Batman etc…and boy does the Arkham one look like a god damn beast.
The Arkham Suit looks so damn good in comics.
And of course you get the 1989 Batman who looks incredible when drawn by the absolute Godlike Jorge Jimenez.
The story ends well too, its just that the last 2-3 issues were a bit weak and weakened the story a bit…but Zdarsky manages to end this arc on a high note.

In terms of Covers, you can guess such a milestone issue brings a lot of those.
There are a few incredible ones.
The Gold Foiled one is absolute cool.
But you got the Usual that only need their names to be said to know how good their covers are.
Alex Ross, Gabriele Dell Otto, Neal Adams and of course Lee Bermejo.
The Regular one is fitting enough, but for such a highlight issue you can go with a special one…I vote for Lee Bermejo…I just love his style so much.

Batman & The Joker: The Deadly Duo #7

That ended pretty much how I expected it to.
Which isn’t bad.
The ending here feels like a classic Joker vs Batman ending, which isn’t the worst.
Other than that, I will get this absolutely later down the road in physical form.
I liked it a lot and the ending works.
It was a good mini series from start to finish, well written and fantastic art.
That is what you want from shorter series.

As for Covers, they all are neat but I like the again classic Joker vs Batman the most.
Simple, Joker and Batman on each others throat…what more could you want from a cover.

The Flash #798

That was fun and I kind of like how there is no huge mindblowing arc that ends the run and instead something that is feeling a lot smaller.
Like “Granny Goodness stealing the newest flash baby and the family going after her” may sound like a bigger deal, but the issue didn’t felt like some big final arc.
And that is fine.
There is the fear that we wont get this amount of Flash Family stuff in the next run, and that is worrying me a bit.
Because I love it so much and all.
But anyway, yeah it was a nice issue and it feels like they don’t aim for something huge to end the run so that people can say goodbye in a less sadder tone.

With Covers you cant go wrong either way, they all work.
I prefer the Regular one but its up to you.

The Joker: The Man Who Stopped Laughing #8

There is not much to add to the last issue, we continue the same level of insanity and crazy good stuff.
I expected the story to progress faster, but it really doesn’t.
We continue where the last issue ended without much time passing.
I have to Praise Matthew Rosenberg who writes a good joker imo.
I think he hits the right notes here and the Art of Francesco Francavilla helps that because he draws a fantastic joker.

In terms of covers I have to give Ivan Tao a bit of criticism because im not a fan of buff, Tattooed Joker.
Other than that, the covers are great and again I like the Regular one.

Poison Ivy #12

This feels like we repeat a storyline we already had before.
Still, the issue itself was fine…nothing to complain about.
The one thing that already makes me angry was the ending.
I do not trust you at all DC with this…you cant fool me again.
You will mess this up or bring some drama nobody asked for.
I know it, I can smell it, I can feel it…and I dont trust you.

As usual with this Series, the covers are incredible…go with whatever you want, I don’t have any favorites on this one.

Shazam! #1

Mark Waid and Dan Mora on this…do I have to say more?
A incredible good start to this that sets the bar high and expectations equal as high.
I so hope the Series can hit a few homeruns.
After the sad box office of the Movie, it would be neat to see the comics high in the top sales lists.

In terms of the covers, again I honestly don’t know which one I would pick if they would be in front of me.
They all are so good…maybe I would pick Chris Samnee’s for the cool old school vibe it gives me.
But there is no wrong answer.

Such a good week, absolutely fun comics all around.
I have this slight hope that the Jon Kent one picks up the initial arc instead of like I said, re-tell the IJ2 story just with Jon.

That and I don’t trust DC with Poison Ivy.
Other than that, the week was incredible good.

Now that it is finished and it is all on DC Universe Ultra, I’m finally reading Swamp Thing: Green Hell. I read the first issue and it is outstanding. I hope that Lemire keeps up this quality through the rest of the run, because it is a great start.

I’ll try to finish it in the next couple of days and then offer my thoughts.

Now that Marvel shut down their comics app, and with Comixology being a chore to use, where do you guys get your digital comics?

Now that Marvel shut down their comics app, and with Comixology being a chore to use, where do you guys get your digital comics?
Wow, I didn't even know Marvel shut down their app. Is that Marvel Unlimited?

Unfortunately I'm not much help on that front as I primarily read DC, on DC Universe Infinite lol.

Wow, I didn't even know Marvel shut down their app. Is that Marvel Unlimited?

Unfortunately I'm not much help on that front as I primarily read DC, on DC Universe Infinite lol.
No, not Unlimited. They had a separate app, where you could buy single issues and trades, which you can not do on the unlimited app.
I think they shut it down in favor for Comixology instead but I'm not sure.
Can you buy single issues on DC Universe?

I suppose I can just subscribe to the Unlimited app, but then I wouldn't be up to date with the latest releases.

No, not Unlimited. They had a separate app, where you could buy single issues and trades, which you can not do on the unlimited app.
I think they shut it down in favor for Comixology instead but I'm not sure.
Can you buy single issues on DC Universe?

I suppose I can just subscribe to the Unlimited app, but then I wouldn't be up to date with the latest releases.
Ah, I see. No, unfortunately DC Universe doesn't have a store. But the "Ultra" tier only has a 1-month delay on the latest releases there.

I generally don't buy digital comics - I read digitally, and then the ones I like, I buy physical copies of the collected editions. But when I have bought digital comics, it was either on Comixology or on Amazon and read on my Kindle app.

There is of course the other avenue that doesn't exactly involve buying digital comics, and reading them on a comics reader app, but I can't endorse that. Publicly. :hehe:

I too am a DC Universe Ultra fanatic. It was one of the best purchases I’ve ever made. And being Ultra tier has been great as I only wait a month for the comics to be released to Ultra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"