The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 2

I’m revisiting The Terrifics and absolutely loving it.

I remember reading the first issue when it came out. At that time, I had just finished Metal and found it a bit too confusing, so I saw it as a continuation of that story as opposed to a jumping off point. Also in full disclosure, at that point I’d never read any Tom Strong by Alan Moore, so I was pretty unfamiliar with that character and the utter coolness of him showing up was lost on me.

,too longtime batman readers any coincidence or connection with dark prisons and 1991 the last batman story?

I prefer this to a possibly butchered movie or so.
I love the idea of this.
They could do this for a few of the most legendary DC books if you ask me.

Hearing the creators talk about the books, maybe getting to see early drafts of the script, the art design...god that would be so awesome.
I would love to hear more from Scott Snyder about Death of the Family, Endgame, Court of Owls...maybe some early designs of the Court of Owls etc.

Getting one for All Star Superman etc...oh boy would that be something.

I saw Absolute Power actually sold pretty decent, at least according to Bleeding Cool. It was the top selling book for the week of release.

I saw Absolute Power actually sold pretty decent, at least according to Bleeding Cool. It was the top selling book for the week of release.
Isnt that often the case with the big events? First issue sells super well?
I didnt bother with it, i thought about it but im so drained on the Events.

Anyway...got time for Batman 150 this week.
It was a really fun issue because of how it was built.
We go street level and follow the guy who accidentally found out that Bruce wayne is batman.
It ended up a cool issue where he tries to sell this knowledge, but Gotham does gotham stuff.
I like a ton how Zdarsky deals with Two Face and Harvey knowing bruce is batman etc, how he sees the beauty in the duality he shares with Bruce...but also that he is smart enough to realize how dangerous it would be to force Bruce to choose...because he knows bruce would choose Batman.
And a "Pure Bat would destroy them all".
And as usual i love how the issue shows Batman to the common people as some sort of force of nature that tears into criminals, is everywhere and knows everyone.

Such issues once in a while are so fun because they help establish again what kind of influence, how Batman looks to others and why criminals still fear him.
It also shows that if you do right by him, he is there to protect you from everything and believes in you.
For the 150th issue, a fun read.

Isnt that often the case with the big events? First issue sells super well?
I didnt bother with it, i thought about it but im so drained on the Events.

Yeah, it usually is. But the discourse around Absolute Power before release made it sound like it was going to do pretty bad. I don't blame you, big events have lost the appeal. Need to take a year break on these events and only do maybe one or two a year spread apart.

Yeah, it usually is. But the discourse around Absolute Power before release made it sound like it was going to do pretty bad. I don't blame you, big events have lost the appeal. Need to take a year break on these events and only do maybe one or two a year spread apart.
Yup, people didnt seem all that hyped because they were mostly too like "Another event...again?".
But they said this during the other events too, so it was no surprise.
Also because DC did hype this one up quite a bit more than usual events, so it might have caused a few more casual readers to look into this.

It also doesn’t help that it’s a retread of the same “government official doesn’t like superheroes” distrust-based comics storyline that Marvel and DC do regularly. There’s nothing new in this. And it’s Waller. And Waller is an obnoxious character. They are pushing her and Peacemaker because of the Max shows, but their comics characters aren’t very good.

Re: Absolute Power
Art was A+

Story....probably a D.

I still find it hard to believe that Waller found a way to steal every form of "power". Magic. Metagene. Krypton gene. Godly blessing. Ring power. Innate Martian abilities. It's a nice idea but a very hard execution.

Cyborg and Oracle who should've been bigger are all of 1 panel and cant even beat Wallers hacking?

It also doesn’t help that it’s a retread of the same “government official doesn’t like superheroes” distrust-based comics storyline that Marvel and DC do regularly. There’s nothing new in this. And it’s Waller. And Waller is an obnoxious character. They are pushing her and Peacemaker because of the Max shows, but their comics characters aren’t very good.
It absolutely doesnt help that its again Waller yeah.
The Character slowly gets overexposed and the problem is that its always the same kind of story with her.
I dont even really remember why this time she goes after the heroes...something she saw on earth 2 or what, i cant remember.

Its going on for years that DC/WB seem to want to push Waller.
Showed up in BvS, Suicide Squad, The Suicide Squad, peacmaker, various animated movies, she gets her own show...now the "big Bad" in the absolute power event.
I think the character has potential, but when its always the same kind of story with her...it gets boring.

Peacemaker is a weird.
I like what James Gunn does with him, but having him in the comics be painted as a big shot that can hold his own against Black Canary etc...is just weird.

It would really surprise me if this Absolute Power event, can hold the sales numbers.
We had a far more Intersting one with Knight Terrors and that couldnt really blow us away.
Having yet again a "Government vs Superheroes" event, will not go down too well i assume.

This is excellent news. The storytelling potential if this involves Jack Knight, as I'm sure it will, is so great now that both Robinson and Harris are around 25 years removed from it. Starman is both a product of 90's pop culture and one of the greatest DC comics of all time. I'd love to see how these guys write an older Jack.

Absolute Batman....what an interesting look.
It sure is. Based on the info we've gotten, and based on the artwork, i'm not really sold. With Absolute Batman, I'm getting Heroes Reborn/90's nostalgia vibes. On top of that, Snyder alone is enough to keep me away, but I can't help but always go back to Batman: Year One when it comes to this reinvention nonsense. 4 standard sized, standard page count books with beautiful, formal artwork that, because of it's detail and simplicity, makes it timeless.

And even then, with some of the other talent involved in the line, I really cant help but wonder why DC just doesn't let huge name talent hop on the main line and let them remind people why they're top tier talent. I know I'm jumping the gun until I see who else is involved along with what books they're doing and with what approach. But until then, I'm out.

View attachment 93511
I’m not a Plastic Man guy. I find him annoying.
If you haven't already, I URGE you to check out the Plastic Man series by Kyle Baker from the early 2000s. They are some the best comics, superhero or otherwise, ever made. The Jack Cole original comics are also so wonderful. But the Kyle Baker stuff is lightning in a bottle.

I saw a possible announcement of writers for Absolute Green Lantern & Absolute Martian Manhunter. Yes, the Absolute Batman is an interesting look, but I really have enjoyed a lot of Scott Snyder's Batman stuff.. so I'm sold lol.

Last edited:
Absolute Trinity revealed
GSr9ZfvagAA6VYB

Absolute Trinity revealed
GSr9ZfvagAA6VYB

Superman kinda looks like Joe Perry haha. I'm gonna do my best to pick up at least all the #1's for Absolute. Have they said when we can expect them to release?

Also, Batman is looking quite thick... it looks odd at that angle lol.

Last edited:
I’ve really enjoyed the tone and heart that Zdarsky has brought to Batman, even if I think that the storytelling has been a bit clunky. Taylor has been killing it with Nightwing, even if I grow impatient sometimes. And Williamson has been doing great things with Superman and Action has been amazing. Obviously King does amazing work with Wonder Woman.

Why do I need to jump in on an Absolute line when the main continuity is firing on all cylinders? And the art has definitely not done anything to sway me, let’s face it.

I just read Batman 149 on Infinite. What a great epilogue to the Zur saga that Zdarsky did.

Say what you will about Zdarsky, but he respects the Bat family and he can deliver the heart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"