The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 2

I finally ended up back at the shop last week after sixteen months because of... no particular reason. :o It was nice to pick stuff up again, except getting to the counter and finding out apparently DC's new distributor is more expensive for Canadian stores or something so DC books are now priced higher. My wallet hated that part. Rest was nice though. :o

Yeah. To be honest, I miss the old days with cheesy ads throughout my comics. The bodybuilding system classifieds and movie ads.

I was looking through an old copy of a World of Krypton comic from the 1970’s that I have and there were ads featuring Pete Rose and another with OJ Simpson. Those didn’t age well.

Yeah. To be honest, I miss the old days with cheesy ads throughout my comics. The bodybuilding system classifieds and movie ads.

I was looking through an old copy of a World of Krypton comic from the 1970’s that I have and there were ads featuring Pete Rose and another with OJ Simpson. Those didn’t age well.
I have that complete collection of the world of Krypton stories. I got them from my father.

Finally got time for the Weekly comics, and it was a rather cheap one.

Nightwing keeps its high level in terms of the writing and art.
Really liking it, but im not sure about the twist.
But i honestly dont know too many of Nightwings support characters and villians so i dont know if that twist is a surprise or not.
I also dont know if i like it, feels like a overdone thing at this point with adding a possible lost sister or brother or in general family member.
Oh well, im curious and that is all that matters.

Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow is a good start, i liked it.
We will see where this goes, but im interested and for now will keep reading.

Im thinking about giving Superman Red/Blue another chance because i like the visual idea of it...but i dont know.
Stuff with superman in the name is thanks to bendis not easy to sell to me currently.

I also thought about picking up Catwoman because i like the design of that villian on the cover, but honestly im just not a huge fan of selina in general so im not sure if its worth it.

I'll trade-wait for Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow... Saw that 4.99 price tag and said "**** no." It's eight issues so it won't be a long wait.

I finally ended up back at the shop last week after sixteen months because of... no particular reason. :o It was nice to pick stuff up again, except getting to the counter and finding out apparently DC's new distributor is more expensive for Canadian stores or something so DC books are now priced higher. My wallet hated that part. Rest was nice though. :o
Which is a bit ironic because our loonie has been at its highest value in the last five years.

So, new week new Comics…a rather expensive but enjoyable week.

Action Comics

It’s a really neat arc so far, im really liking it.
Cant remember the last story with Mongul, but lets see where this goes.
But kind of weird how this issue turned suddenly into US government vs Atlantis…as usual whenever Steve Trevor shows up, things suck XD
Still, curious where this goes, im enjoying it.

Batman Reptilian

I waited long for this since Liam Sharp has done that wonderfull Batman/Wonder Woman story which was written so good and drawn even more beautiful.
And it delivers, really crazy unique art and writing that I like.
It was worth the wait already.

Detective Comics

What is there to say? Still one of my Favorite series currently and the arc keeps getting better.
Penguin getting something to do is quite neat.
Personally im always unsure about him because I like the idea of him being the guy who was smart enough to keep a low profile and stay on the “good” side of the law…but then Its about time for Crimeboss Penguin to pull something again.
A good Penguin villain story is long overdue.
So im curious where this leads with him.

Harley Quinn

I have fallen in love with the series and its art style by now.
I always had a hard time with this “deadpool” approach and overly crazy fun stuff with her…but this series makes it work.
I really hope we get soon either here or in Batman a few panels where Bruce goes easy on her, she tries hard to be better.
Getting the trust from Batman would mean a lot I think.
Either way, love the series.

Infinite Frontier

Good that I got myself up to date with Infinite Frontier because picking up #1 has me already hooked.
Super interested where this goes.
Im a sucker for Multiverse stories, even though I lose track on which earth and who etc easily. XD

Justice League

Moves super fast I get the feeling but despite often fumbling with the Bendis dialog, its neat.

Robin

It too just keeps being good, there is not much else to say really.
I enjoy it and that is what matters the most.
I really need to check up on what some characters where up to, cant remember when I saw the head of the demon the last time.
But its cool to see Ra’s back.

Superman

If they try to sell me on Jon as Superman for when he takes over at least for a while, they do a bad job sadly.
There is barely any character work that makes me look forward to it.
I feel so little for this Teenager Jon, it’s a shame comparing it to how it was before Bendis.
Now im completely indifferent to what happens what goes on with him etc.
The character deserved better.
So im not enjoying Superman for this reason sadly.

Wonder Woman

Same as with many others, I enjoy this arc very much.
Just when I thought the Norse setting could be stale, they throw you into a different setting which right away keeps you interested to see how the story will turn out.

So yeah, a expensive but enjoyable week.

Only Batman Reptilian for me. Thankfully I liked it. Loved the 90s vibe in Liam Sharps art. Story seems pretty cool. Hope it continues being decent.

Spend the month of June working in upstate NY, and remained ever loyal to my local shop, so I came back to a hefty stack of comics. I shall be brief:

Batman/Catwoman #5: Out of all of the Tom King books I've read, and of the now 4 he currently has on stands, this is the weakest. The delays certainly don't help, and while Clay Mann is a great artist, he's not exactly the best storyteller. The story drags, and is pretty flatline. Maybe it'll pick up with 6 and the holiday special later this year, but who knows.

Rorschach #9: This book continues to be great. The multi-layered plot has yet to reveal its finer details, but King maintains tension throughout. Using Rorschach as a cipher for the politics of today within the universe of Watchmen is a masterstroke. Of all the moves DC has made regarding Watchmen, putting Tom King on this book was the only good one. If you're not reading it, you're missing out on something special.

Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow #1. GREAT! A literate, intricately drawn superhero western in space. Bilquis Evely should get all of the work after this book concludes. The stakes and the emotion feel genuine and palpable. This has the potential to be King's best book going forward. And if it's even half as good as his Up In The Sky book, it's still the best thing that could happen to Kara.

Swamp Thing #5; Ram V delivering the goods yet again. The central mystery of how our current Swamp Thing became Swamp Thing in the first place is especially intriguing, considering it doesn't seem to involve fire and death. So far, this is the best Swamp Thing book since before the New52.

Immortal Hulk #47/Gamma Flight #1: Yet again, Al Ewing delivers another chapter in one of the THE best superhero comics of the last decade. As it winds down, Ewing also wrote a Gamma Flight spin-off that I really hope ties back into the main title before Immortal Hulk's issue 50 conclusion.

Superman: Red And Blue #4: I picked this up solely for the Mark Waid story, and would you believe it if I said it wasn't the best story in the book? He wrote a story about Mister Mxyzptlk and how he deals with Superman turning the tables by endlessly pranking him. It has a great ending. There are two great Bizarro stories in here though. One by Francis Manpaul, and the other, the best, by Michael W. Conrad and Cully Hamner. They were both incredibly moving, and partially inspiring.

Action Comics #1032: Loving this book so much. Philip Kennedy Johnson, so far, seems very adept at balancing multiple plot threads, and knows how to imbue each with heft and importance. Daniel Sempere's art is very good, too. He reminds of Don Kramer: not the flashiest artist, but a damn fine one that does the job that needs to be done to tell a good story. The Warworld Rising saga should be a good one.

Hey Kids Comics Vol. 2: Prophets & Loss #2: Howard Chaykin continues with a deliciously sordid history of the comic book industry. While all the characters themselves are fictional, they're based on real people and knowing Chaykin's history in the field, most of the situations in this series are pretty true. This issue deals with the fallout of the censorship trials and the rise of the Silver Age of Comics. It's quite good.

The Flash #771: This book has the funniest 3 panels, drawn by Kevin Maguire, that I've seen in a long time. This arc has been pretty repetitive, but this issue was a lot of fun, and wraps in the annual coming out in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing how Wally as the Flash full time goes.

Batman: Reptilian #1: I'm very much aware of Garth Ennis' hatred of superheroes, and I don't exactly think he's wrong in several of his observations. But here, he writes Batman with the level of seriousness one would expect from his PunisherMAX run. That's not to say there isn't witty banter between Bruce and Alfred. But Ennis brings his A-Game here. So does Liam Sharp. Apparently this was meant for Steve Dillon to draw before he unfortunately passed away but it feels much too serious for his art style. This should be an interesting one.

Infinite Frontier #1: Not sure what happened to Joshua Williamson, but I found his writing on the Flash to be way too wishy-washy with sappy soap opera dialogue full of hokey melodrama and endlessly vacuous platitudes. Between this and Robin, my mind has been changed. Infinite Frontier #1 was great! It feels comic booky in all the right ways. It has scope and scale. It reminds me more of "Legends" than any of the "Crisis" books, to be honest. There's so many directions this can go, and I instantly put the book on my pull list after finishing the issue.

Robin #3: Also another fun book. I dig Damian's new outfit. I love the use of Connor Hawke. The moment they shared together was fantastic. If any of the super-kids should get along, it's these two. I'm impressed. Williamson has something special here.

Nightwing #81: Solid until the end. Then it turns into painfully obvious comic book cliche territory. We'll see if it sticks, or if it's misdirection. But I'm already bored by it. The first bump in an otherwise solid run. We'll see where it goes.

I finally got around to reading House of X/Powers of X. I was directly hooked and almost finished the whole book in one sitting. Great story and awesome art all around. Really looking forward to jumping into the Dawn of X books.

Finally new comics week, last weeks "break" was kind of nice but i couldnt wait to read the stuff this week.

Batman 110
Really tense written imo and it got me hooked every panel
I knew it, Mahoney was a dirty bastard.
Got the feeling he wasnt what he seemed like.
Ghost-Maker that little ****, i love him and his attitude. XD
And for all the stuff Batmans suit can withstand, it tears down rather easily i get the feeling.
Im waiting for the "What have i done" realization of Mayor Nakano any minute now...the man bit of more than he can chew.
The stakes are rising, i really get super invested in the story at this point, thats good.

Justice League
I loved it, the training of Naomi, her parents being introduced to the league, Ollie and Dinah.

Justice League Infintity
Oh man did i miss this justice league...great to see them back after all those years.
And of course the little Wonderbat scene made my day, i hope they build up on that more.
But either way, the nostalgia on this kicks high and im so excited for new adventures.

Suicide Squad
Keeps my interest and boy do i love that Bloodsport design.

Swamp Thing
Something i enjoy in silence pretty much, not much words to say other than that to be honest.
It flows so well, the art pleases me and the writing works.
Its not something that stands out but i find myself enjoying it a lot.

Wonder Girl
The issues dont come fast enough, god do i love Yara and the whole vibe, the visuals, the writing.
Ah, i just love it.

Fantastic Week that i was looking forward and didnt dissapoint.

EDIT: Forgot about the Joker Presents: A Puzzlebox which i really enjoy in terms of the way it is structured and told.
But the Highlight visually for me was Black Mask in the Fur coat...that looked so cool.
I love his design.
He is underrated imo and you could do cool things with him.
Wasnt a fan of him getting super powers with his mask, im more a fan of him as this unhinged crime boss with anger issues.

Last edited:
Anyone picked up the Green Arrow 80th special the other week? I got my copy yesterday and also finished it. Most of the stories were well entertaining and there were some Really interesting art that I would like to see more of.

Anyone picked up the Green Arrow 80th special the other week? I got my copy yesterday and also finished it. Most of the stories were well entertaining and there were some Really interesting art that I would like to see more of.
I’m halfway done with it. I’ve been reading it slowly. It’s a sad reminder of the fact that DC had a great Rebirth title that they gave up on and a character that they treated badly.

Ok. So I just went ahead and finished it. I LOVED the story with Roy. And I really enjoyed the stories with Dinah. It also reminds me that I really want to like Jeff Lemire, but I really don’t get him. I have no idea what that story was about.

It convinced me that I really want a Nicola Scott-drawn Black Canary book. It was probably my favorite story in the collection (I admit, I am a complete sucker for the boxing glove arrow).

A new Human Target book by Tom King and the brilliant Greg Smallwood! Between this and some more Tim Sale art, October is shaping up to be a good month. It also helps that every month means 2-3 Tom King books for the next year and a half at least! Good time to be a fan!

Ok. So I just went ahead and finished it. I LOVED the story with Roy. And I really enjoyed the stories with Dinah. It also reminds me that I really want to like Jeff Lemire, but I really don’t get him. I have no idea what that story was about.

Yeah I'm not really sure what Lemire was after in that one, but it's been years since I read his run.
Most of the stories were entertaining in their own way. I really liked the Connor story with the "boomerang" arrow :D that one and the JL Watchtower story had some really nice art in them as well.

It convinced me that I really want a Nicola Scott-drawn Black Canary book. It was probably my favorite story in the collection (I admit, I am a complete sucker for the boxing glove arrow).

Yeah that was a rather fun story, with good art as well.

really loving 'The Nice House on The Lake' at the moment

I loved the first issue. The hype somewhat died down after reading the second one though.

I’m halfway done with it. I’ve been reading it slowly. It’s a sad reminder of the fact that DC had a great Rebirth title that they gave up on and a character that they treated badly.
I've been meaning to read the Rebirth run but just haven't gotten around to it. I hear he has a leading role in the current JL run as well? I checked out the new Checkmate (pun not intended) series, but oh man the dialogue is just out of this world. Will most likely not read beyond issue 1.

I've been meaning to read the Rebirth run but just haven't gotten around to it. I hear he has a leading role in the current JL run as well? I checked out the new Checkmate (pun not intended) series, but oh man the dialogue is just out of this world. Will most likely not read beyond issue 1.
I really loved the GA Rebirth run. It was terrific.

Passed away due to COVID-19 complications... *sigh* :csad:

Passed away due to COVID-19 complications... *sigh* :csad:

God damn Covid, so many lifes lost due to it. :( RIP

But hows the saying, dont mourn the dead because they died, celebrate them because they lived.
With that, onto more pleasent things...new comic week.

Batman the Detective
Im still so glad i gave it a chance despite me not liking the premise of it.
Its really good and i enjoy it.
Only thing that throws me off is Bruces character design.
Hes built like a tank and his body is covered in scars...if that doesnt scream Batman to the people in Gotham, i dont know what.

Batman Urban Legends
I cant stop looking at the price tag for this, but damn is the Red Hood story good.

Detective Comics
Its such a cool arc, im loving it.
A bit sad that Worth is more a means than the actual big bad of the arc, but still very cool.

Infinite Frontier
Keeps me interested too and im getting so excited for when Darkseid shows up again.
Really does a good job in building a story.

Justice League: Last Ride
I love the dynamic and mystery, the characters relationships and interactions.
Im just waiting for Clark to snap, he barks towards Bruce and i hope when they clash its not something empty.
There is real beef so far behind their differences and im curios how they resolve that.

The Joker
You can sell me always on giving me some Jim Gordon insight and how the Joker affects him.
Liked this issues pacing and writing.

Wonder Woman
Urgh, im loving this arc and how it flows.
It is such a cool concept, well executed.

With the weather being so bad here and me in general feeling a bit tired, needing to recharge...this week is good to recharge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"