The Gifted The Gifted 101 - "eXposed" Discussion Thread

What's wrong with new characters?...

Nothing. I believe the newly created characters are meant for the uninitiated, and were crafted with them in mind. To draw them in, to hopefully relate to & connect with, as they're thrust into this frantically dramatic, more fantastical situation. So I'd say they're just targeting different viewer demos, is all, with the likes of the Strucker fam & their story.

io9.gizmodo.com, The Gifted Isn't Trying to Be an X-Men TV Series and That's What Makes It Good
... The Gifted is trying to tell one of the most X-Men™ X-Men stories that’s been on broadcast television in decades, but unlike most of its predecessors, the focus isn’t on the larger than life heroes or their cool powers. The Gifted really wants you to care about its characters and see them as people. ...

... There’s a hollowness to many of Fox’s X-Men movies that stems from the odd lip-service they speak to the idea of mutant persecution while never quite managing to make that persecution feel real. The students at Xavier’s school are in a near-constant state of danger from the government, sure, but a lot of that has to do with the way that the X-Men repeatedly insinuate themselves into extremely strange situations. The widespread fear and hatred of mutants that would drive a student to Xavier’s always feels conspicuously missing or halfhearted.

The Gifted, by comparison, is chiefly concerned with creating a world that feels definitionally hostile towards mutants in an all-encompassing way. ...

... The Gifted’s relative down-to-earthiness is definitely one of its stronger suits, but what will be interesting to watch as the season progresses is how the show decides to have its characters move throughout the world. The Strucker family’s on-the-run act worked well as a scene-setter but going forward, it’s going to be important that we see them and the mutant underground doing more than just running.

Eventually, they’re going to have to make a stand and fight their battle in the public eye, the only place it can ever really be won. Let’s hope their journey to that battlefield is an exciting one to watch.

Last edited:
OK so producer said DOFP created multiple timelines so Gifted is part of another timeline. And New Mutants, Deadpool, Logan, how can we be sure they are on continuity of DOFP, Apocalypse, Dark Pheonix's new timeline ?

Now its pretty sure that Logan isnt from new timeline of DOFP, Apocalypse...
And Logically DOFP canceled OT to create a new timeline, not several timelines

Nothing. I believe the newly created characters are meant for the uninitiated, and were crafted with them in mind. To draw them in, to hopefully relate to & connect with, as they're thrust into this frantically dramatic, more fantastical situation. So I'd say they're just targeting different viewer demos, is all, with the likes of the Strucker fam & their story.

io9.gizmodo.com, The Gifted Isn't Trying to Be an X-Men TV Series and That's What Makes It Good
Not to mention, sometimes creators want to tell their own stories with characters they created on their own. If they're well-written characters, there's really no issue. Just look at Legion - besides Shadow King and David, everyone is made up. And they're great! I'm reminded of how great The Eye was as muscle for Division 3 on Legion.

The comics create new characters all the time, and the shows should be no different.

On a personal note, I really liked how the VFX for Marcos' powers when he got shot. He's literally bleeding light. Sean Teale said they actually had him hold some welding torch for certain scenes, which I think is great. Even on a TV show, using practical effects adds to the powers.

OK so producer said DOFP created multiple timelines so Gifted is part of another timeline. And New Mutants, Deadpool, Logan, how can we be sure they are on continuity of DOFP, Apocalypse, Dark Pheonix's new timeline ?

Now its pretty sure that Logan isnt from new timeline of DOFP, Apocalypse...
And Logically DOFP canceled OT to create a new timeline, not several timelines

your making it way too complicated

timeline 1-origins,first class,ot,the wolverine,DOFP-future with sentinles
timeline 2-First class,DOFP-minues post apocalypce future with sentinles.APocalypse.Dark Phoenix.New Mutants Deadpool 1 and 2.Logan
Timeline 3-Legion
Timeline 4-The gifted

Polaris, Blink, Thunderbird are from the comics.
So are the Fenris twins although they're changed a bit to fit the narrative and make use of only things Fox has the rights to.
Sage, Shatter and Beautiful Dreamer are likely to get more screentime in following episodes.
Eclipse was almost certainly Sunspot in the original scripts, but changed to not have the same character as in New Mutants at the same time.

It was obvious that I meant majority of the cast members and not just 1/3 of the regular cast.

And stop with the Fenrins twins, they aren't and if they are, its completely unfaithful.

Not to mention, sometimes creators want to tell their own stories with characters they created on their own. If they're well-written characters, there's really no issue. Just look at Legion - besides Shadow King and David, everyone is made up. And they're great! I'm reminded of how great The Eye was as muscle for Division 3 on Legion.

The comics create new characters all the time, and the shows should be no different.

On a personal note, I really liked how the VFX for Marcos' powers when he got shot. He's literally bleeding light. Sean Teale said they actually had him hold some welding torch for certain scenes, which I think is great. Even on a TV show, using practical effects adds to the powers.

If they want to create new characters fine but don't sell it as an X-Men show. 2/3 of the regulars aren't X-Men characters. There's a reason why none of the lead heroes in the Fox/Sony/Marvel mlvies aren't made up for films but based from previous Marvel comics. There are some exception like Phil who wasn't even a lead, and we know how Aos benefitted for mostly relying on made up for TV characters.

i know.heroes especilly was a x-men ripoff.and now some complain an x-men related show is being like X-men crazy:woot:

X-men Rip off indeed. Only issue back then was that some would argue that the 1st season of Heroes was better than the X-men films. X-3 and Origins anyway.

Out of these two shows, I feel Heroes is more memorable.

Well, that is fine if you only remember the first season. "Memorable" begins to take on a different meaning once you go past season 1...

Heroes was amazing during its first season, even got nominated for Best Drama in the Emmy's. I don't think The Gifted will reach the same heights as that show. And it was also a ratings success and didn't just do okay unlike The Gifted's series premiere. I don't think this show fully embraced the source materials in the first place by using non comic characters as the lead. That's already a huge red flag to me. I just think there would have been more excitement to this if they adapted a comic book series, like District X, X-Statix, eXiles, and even X-Factor Investigations (though that should be saved for a feature film).

I am also cringing that they are emphasing the X in episode titles, when aside from Blink, none of the film characters are in this and majority of the regular cast members didn't come from the comics.

If they really want to sell this as a X-Men show they should have just used characters from the comics as the main lead characters then adapt a specific comic book series. Because right now, they are forcing this to appear like a X-Men show. When its truly not a X-Men show but a show with few mutants from the X-Men comics.

Last edited:
What's wrong with new characters? Laura anyone?
Poor actors (outside of Acker), poor writing, that has lead to a bland, obvious stand-in quality.

Last edited:

When and who said that?

Heroes was amazing during its first season, even got nominated for Best Drama in the Emmy's. I don't think The Gifted will reach the same heights as that show. And it was also a ratings success and didn't just do okay unlike The Gifted's series premiere. I don't think this show fully embraced the source materials in the first place by using non comic characters as the lead. That's already a huge red flag to me. I just think there would have been more excitement to this if they adapted a comic book series, like District X, X-Statix, eXiles, and even X-Factor Investigations (though that should be saved for a feature film).

I am also cringing that they are emphasing the X in episode titles, when aside from Blink, none of the film characters are in this and majority of the regular cast members didn't come from the comics.

If they really want to sell this as a X-Men show they should have just used characters from the comics as the main lead characters then adapt a specific comic book series. Because right now, they are forcing this to appear like a X-Men show. When its truly not a X-Men show but a show with few mutants from the X-Men comics.

I just don't see how an X-Men fan could possibly be mad that a show is being made which stars characters like Polaris and Blink, shows a bunch of visually interesting mutants, will have Ahab come after the mutants with his hounds, will have Polaris as daughter to Magneto and explore what that means, has hinted at Clan Akkaba coming into play, etc. With possibly more to be explored later that we don't yet know about, such as Sage possibly getting a larger role.

If you literally want the comics translated panel by panel to screen, why don't you just read those again? It's good to have new stories told, and for this show they wanted to focus on what it's like for a family to have mutant children in a world where they are prosecuted. You can't just make that story revolve around Cyclops or Storm or Wolverine, because it wouldn't be the story they want to tell.

And yes, the kids are the Fenris. The writers have said they're called Strucker for a reason, Andy was drawing the Fenris wolf as the first thing we saw, they have basically the same powers (although switched between the siblings and even when they're not touching eachother).

I was pretty meh about this. I liked Blink, Marcos, Polaris, and Thunderbird, so hopefully the show becomes more about this mutant network.

I couldn't really get passed the family. Everything about them is unlikable and I hate that they act as the eyes of the show in some ways. And who would look at the Strucker family in the comics and say to themselves "these are the characters we should loosely adapt to be our protagonists!"? Thankfully this episode rushed over a lot of the boring or unlikable story beats that could have been made.

For those of you who are keeping track. ;)

slo191.png

Just viewed it for a third time and just wow. Way better than I thought before I saw any promo.

This honestly feels like a promising start to a future successful show. Having Singer (in all is flaws) pin the first episode makes it better. I really wanted to know what happened next after that cliffhanger. Seeing all the mutants displaying their powers, well my nerd heart swelled.

I have nothing but positive things to say about the show, naysayers, everyone who said it would be meh are probably kicking themselves now. I respect the entire cast, they brought their A game to iconic characters.

Polaris looks like the main mutant and it doesn't matter, she's cool, everyone on the show looks awesome. The kids are great actors, you believed them and cared about them when they fled the motel. Just love this. I want it to keep getting better each episode.

For those of you who are keeping track. ;)

slo191.png

Who are the minor characters with visible mutations? Shatter and the two guards? (the grey one with pointy ears and black eyes and the one with extra eye(s)?

Who are the minor characters with visible mutations? Shatter and the two guards? (the grey one with pointy ears and black eyes and the one with extra eye(s)?
Yeah, those three. I figured I'd include them because they do require more effort. :)

When it comes to NiX & the Struckers, I'm sure there's a method to his madness. Guess we'll just have to wait & see. :shrug:

When and who said that?

Nix said that. Hes pretty wrong. DOPF erased OT at 1973 to create new events (Apo Dark.P Deadpool Logan) in one timeline logically

New timeline is just an altered, modified old timeline.
Why severals timelines ? genered by who ?

your making it way too complicated

timeline 1-origins,first class,ot,the wolverine,DOFP-future with sentinles
timeline 2-First class,DOFP-minues post apocalypce future with sentinles.APocalypse.Dark Phoenix.New Mutants Deadpool 1 and 2.Logan
Timeline 3-Legion
Timeline 4-The gifted

Exaclty. I forgot Mangold said Logan sets 6 years after DOFP

I just don't see how an X-Men fan could possibly be mad that a show is being made which stars characters like Polaris and Blink, shows a bunch of visually interesting mutants, will have Ahab come after the mutants with his hounds, will have Polaris as daughter to Magneto and explore what that means, has hinted at Clan Akkaba coming into play, etc. With possibly more to be explored later that we don't yet know about, such as Sage possibly getting a larger role.

If you literally want the comics translated panel by panel to screen, why don't you just read those again? It's good to have new stories told, and for this show they wanted to focus on what it's like for a family to have mutant children in a world where they are prosecuted. You can't just make that story revolve around Cyclops or Storm or Wolverine, because it wouldn't be the story they want to tell.

And yes, the kids are the Fenris. The writers have said they're called Strucker for a reason, Andy was drawing the Fenris wolf as the first thing we saw, they have basically the same powers (although switched between the siblings and even when they're not touching eachother).

I don't eat anything Fox is serving. The Fenris aren't named Lauren and whoever the other kid is. While Polaris and Blink are only secondary role when they should have been the leads here. While Sage was an insignificant extra in the pilot.

Nix said that. Hes pretty wrong. DOPF erased OT at 1973 to create new events (Apo Dark.P Deadpool Logan) in one timeline logically

New timeline is just an altered, modified old timeline.
Why severals timelines ? genered by who ?

Can Kitty create other timelines when sending Bishop to the past? I mean, not too far in the past like Logan but maybe he changed something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"