The Giver

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Project862006, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Project862006 Registered

[​IMG]

2. Gianakin_ SW Prequels Defender

Jeff Bridges? Yay. Philip Noyce? No ticket bought.

3. Project862006 Registered

something wrong with Phillip so he makes 1 bad film and all good will is gone?

4. Gianakin_ SW Prequels Defender

He's at best mediocre imo, I never really liked him.

5. Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I still don't know how you could do this as a film as far as the big reveal goes.

6. Angel_Faerie Sul Sul!

Which one? There are several. Do you mean the color aspect? Because I could easily see it being done like Pleasantville.

7. Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Yeah, that. I mean, when you learn it in the book, it's a surprise. But, if you can just see it from the get-go, it's not so much of a big deal.

8. The Guard Registered

I would imagine they'll just
    place this in a world where they all wear the same thing, and make "color" part of the concept of choice.

It will be interesting how they handle the discovery of
    music. Will there be a score?

9. Carnotaur3 Registered

They could do a very desaturated color pallet, similar to how recent Clint Eastwood movie's look, riding the line of black and white. That way, the audience doesn't catch on until they see some really extravagant color.

10. Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Maybe. Should be interesting to see how they deal with it.

11. Project862006 Registered

The Wrap reports that a number of young actors have been invited to test for the role of Jonas in The Giver. The adaptation of Lois Lowry’s award-winning story sees Jonas become the Community’s new “Receiver of Memories” on his twelfth birthday. Spending his time with the man who holds the current position (Bridges), Jonas is granted all the memories from the distant past, before his people adopted the concept of “Sameness.” Though many of these memories are happy ones, there are of course the realities of war, death and hypocrisy to deal with as well, and Jonas must decide whether he will shoulder these burdens himself or escape into the freedom of Elsewhere.
    Testing for the role of Jonas were Nick Robinson (The Kings of Summer), Tye Sheridan (Mud), Kodi Smit-McPhee (Let Me In), Dylan Minnette (Let Me In) and Brenton Thwaites (Blue Lagoon: The Awakening). Miles Heizer (Parenthood) and Dylan Sprayberry (Man of Steel)

12. Ultimatehero Life is infinite

Type Sheridan would be a great choice.

13. Octoberist point blank

'Maleficent' Star Brenton Thwaites Joins Jeff Bridges in 'The Giver'

http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/weinstein-companys-the-giver-adds-maleficents-brenton-thwaites/

14. Ultimatehero Life is infinite

I'm really unsure how I feel about that, the guy is practically my age - guessing he's 24. Isn't Jonas supposed to be 12 or something? I can see the studio reason for raising the age, Hollywood believes that you can't have a huge box office success tied to a child actor. But the book's core is kind of an end to childhood not a teen moving into becoming an adult.

#14 Ultimatehero, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  15. Octoberist point blank

Even if he plays younger, he look like he can only pull off 18...or 17 minimum.

16. jacobed Registered

Plus there aren't very many if any good actors at 12. He looks young, that's all that matters

17. Ultimatehero Life is infinite

He's likely going to be that age. A senior in high school kind of age before moving into college to become a man. That seems to be the route they're taking. Which really doesn't align with what the book is or what I remember it as being - the end of childhood as you begin to see more of the world around you.

18. Octoberist point blank

I think he's gonna play a teen who's like 16/17. Still a coming of age.

I do think that..from a child to a pre-teen, or pre-teen to teen is the age of loss of innocence, which is rarely depicted in movies these days. Except for the excellent movie 'Mud' or 'Kings of Summer'. I'm thinking that it's easier for those films because they're indie while 'The Giver' is a bit more mainstream with a higher budget, and longer hours to deal with. Minors can only work so many hours a day according to law.

19. Ultimatehero Life is infinite

Coming of age, but here I don't know how that wouldn't change the overall feel of the story as well. It seems to come more from the Hollywood level thinking that you can't have kids as protagonists. Some see past this, not many do. It just reeks of that level of thinking.

20. Octoberist point blank

I updated my comment. I do think the '17 year becoming 18' is played out. Like what I stated prior, kid to preteen/preteen to teen is rarely explored in modern film.

21. Ultimatehero Life is infinite

'Mud' was a great movie showing this. And yeah you can look at it that way as being box office driven - but growing up in the 90s one thing I miss is films with child protagonists. During that time you had kids as the protagonists in films. And I'm pretty sure those films were successful. I just really wish they would have waited off on this until seeing how 'Ender's Game' does because I'm thinking/hoping that ends that level of thinking. Kids were protagonists before and I think those films were successful so I don't see merit to Hollywood's level of thinking that they can't be again.

22. Octoberist point blank

Again I think it's due to the hours being put in. You have a minor in a role, along with the restrictions and laws, it's harder to shoot.

Once in a while you'll have 'Hugo' however, that brakes that type of logic.

23. Ultimatehero Life is infinite

Did that change since the 90s though? Or maybe my memory is messed up so that it only seems like there were tons of movies (and TV shows) back then with kids being kids and it was as scattered as it is today. In memory, I just remember it being a lot more prevalent than it is today.

24. Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I've seen Thwaites' work before.... In that Blue Lagoon remake on Lifetime. :hehe:

25. Project862006 Registered

well why didn't they cast Tye Sheridan who was in Mud as well as Tree Of Life he was on the short list and he is 8 years younger than the guy they cast

also btw the guy they cast is also 6'2 LOL he is taller than bridges