Comics The "GOD LOVES, MAN KILLS" Thread (Graphic novel by Claremont)

Angamb

Avenger
Reaction score

"Back in 1982, Marvel released what was, in the minds of many, the best X-Men story ever to see publication. It stands out, at least partially, because it so well defined the growing mutant hysteria within the fictional world of the Marvel Universe. The specific campaign was a product of the misled, but dangerously-committed "reverend," William Stryker.
For those who have seen the second X-Men movie, the small-but-important influence will be obvious. Although not a military figure, the reverend's crusade proves just as ominous as that of his big-screen counterpart. With a force of high-tech weaponry and loyal soldiers, he pursues the X-Men in one of their most perilous adventures.
From an entertainment standpoint, this is a dream project. Chris Claremont, known for a long and creatively fruitful relationship with Marvel's premier mutants, pens a highly emotional tale that defines the characters to this day -- while providing nail-biting action and suspense. He even manages to teach a bit. I know nothing of Claremont's spiritual life or beliefs. But where the Christian stance of a loving God who never sanctions a crusade of hate and bigotry is concerned, he gets it right, and the reverend gets it in the end.
The icing on the cake is the amazing artwork of Brent Anderson. Dynamic realism is the order of the day. Anderson demonstrates a mastery of the human form, in both anatomy and movement, and manages to elicit the strong emotions of the story through expression and posture. Amazingly augmented by colorist Steve Oliff, this is one of those projects that makes it hard to imagine it could be done any better.
X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills is one of those rare works that readers will go back to repeatedly. It is recommended for all but the youngest readers, due to the darkness of the subject matter and some intense violence."

Rambles

written by Mark Allen
published 1 May 2004

Like I didn't find a thread for this novel, here it is to discuss our thouths.

who haven't read it yet?

That's a classic right there. I remember reading that as a kid. It was scary and intriguing at the same time. Nowadays, there aren't any real classic stories like this or the Phoenix sage are there?

I finished it yesterday at night, hehe.

I really like it, and more being X2 based on this. I think there was some good interaction between the x-men, and between Magneto and the x-men too, including Charles at the end.

I love because its the X-Men at it strongest, dealing with the basic premise of living in a world that hates and fears them.

The saving the world and fighting aliens in outer space stuff is all well in good but I love when its just back to the basics of what the X-Men where created for in the first place.

Stuff like the Mutants relations to Homo Sapiens and clash of ideology with the likes of Magneto is the stuff that made me want read the X-Men in the first place.

I know this is the Comics board, but...

do you think X2 was a good adaptation of this?

I would have to say God Loves Man Kills, is one of the best stories ever written in the X-Verse. Very dark, and full of good thoughts, wish you could see that more often in stories these days.

Yeah what version was the X-treme, I didn't really follow that line of Xmen.

I've read is horrible....

I'll have to search it (again)

would be nice to see the covers....

edit:

Here they are:

the other 5 numbers:

Now...see some may have thought I was joking when I said I liked the X-Treme version of it...but I was serious. It's got some good Kitty characterization/plot in it.

what are the main characters of those numbers?

Do all the main x-men appear?

No. The main team is Storm, Sage, Bishop, Cannonball, Wolverine, and Shadowcat.

This is the comic that made me ship Shadowcat/Stryker. Like, surr-iously. Cause...that scene with her in the faux!Catholic-schoolgirl outfit...it was hot. Plus, come on, they had matching ARMOR!!!

Also, it had Lady Deathstrike in it.

Oh, special note, if you buy the X-Treme version as a TPB, you get the original version too.

Thank you all for the issue numbers and cover shots. I will try and get my hands on the GN.

I'd wish Kurt, Angel, Rogue and Gambit where main characters in God loves II....

:(

I was lucky enough to buy this graphic novel yesterday and I have to say I liked it. CC writing from when I picked the X-Books up at the reload hasn't impressed so I'm wondering if this may affect my view. As I loved it I felt in parts there was over use of internal monologes and explanation boxes. For example Stryker's history Instead of 30 years ago plus his history we get:

"He looks at the two X-Men and time and memory suddenly unexpectedly turn back upon themselves to a simpler day Thirty years gone.

This line would work wonderfully for the artist to draw such a picture and also if I was reading an X-Men novel but the art shows me what he was and the reason behide his son.

The art could do this for us. Dialogue again hit and miss. But the story as a whole was strong especially in a post 9/11 world.

Over use of internal monologes and exaplanation boxes? in a Claremont comic? lol

GLMK2 is probably the worse X-Men story ever told. EVER. At the end Kitty literally does just keep talking and lecturing Stryker until he decides to commit suicide.

I'm interested in finding out myself. I liked X2, but I've never read this story. From what I've read, this is more of an evangelical story than the militaristic tone of Singer's film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"