The God of Music - The Thor: Ragnarok OST Thread

Welcome! :yay: If you sign up for a free spotify account you can listen the whole album for nothing just here. If you have adblock enabled, there's no ads either. :gngl:

Ah, thank you! Don't know how I missed that. Do you happen to know which track is playing in the TV spot I linked? Can't wait to listen to the whole thing but I've had that bit from the TV spot in my head since it came out.

Ah, thank you! Don't know how I missed that. Do you happen to know which track is playing in the TV spot I linked? Can't wait to listen to the whole thing but I've had that bit from the TV spot in my head since it came out.

It sounds like it's from the very first track, 'Ragnarok Suite'. :yay:

Hmm, I like some of these (Thor, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man, and the Avengers themes) but I find the rest almost painfully generic tbh. I think the scores for Ragnarok and both GotG movies have much more personality and are more memorable.

I love listening to film scores, it's one of my passions. A good score can make me feel much more emotionally connected to a film. I've listed some of my absolute favourite scores below.

Absolutely awesome choices, I agree to all. The single greatest score of all time is Howard Shore's score for the LotR trilogy, I very much doubt anything will ever even come close to the sheer perfection of that score for me. It's an utterly breathtaking piece of work, in sheer scope and consistency. Other all time favourite's include John William's score for the Indiana Jones films, Danny Elfman's score for Edward Scissorhands, Klaus Doldinger's original score for The Neverending Story (not the American one, the original German one), Alexandre Desplat's score for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, and as mentioned above James Horner's score for Braveheart and Zimmer's score for Gladiator.

A very recent favourite is Benjamin Wallfisch's wonderful score for IT.

This is so interesting. Like you (and Venomfan) LotR is probably my favorite score, and I enjoy all of the other ones you mentioned (especially Benjamin Button), although I haven't listened to The Neverending Story. Some of my other favorites are The Fountain, Battlestar Galactica (if TV counts), Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, Meet Joe Black, Vertigo, The Monkey King, Solaris (by Cliff Martinez), The Thin Red Line, The Snowman (by Howard Blake), The Secret of NIMH and The Patriot (by John Williams). I could probably keep listing scores all day, as film scores are my favorite genre of music (and takes up the bulk of my album collection).

It's just so fascinating that we like many of the same scores and yet have our differences as well. But then the variety of tastes is what makes life interesting. What fun would it be talking to someone who agreed with you on everything? I'm just glad you and others like the score for Ragnarok, that people other than myself can find enjoyment in it. Hopefully next year's MCU scores will be more suited for my tastes, as we've got Silvestri back on Avengers, another Beck Ant-Man score and Goransson's BP (whose work has never grabbed me, but maybe this time will be different).

Where did you get the impression that Mothersbaugh based his work on The Dark World. There's no Zimmer power anthem to be found in the score anyway, even his own theme doesn't seem to be in that general direction.

Because the theme for Raganrok is a direct imitation of Brian Tyler's trademark style of simplistic writing. Listen to TDW or Children of Dune or Power Rangers and you'll know what I'm talking about.

And to me, the guitar rendition of the theme in tracks like Thor Ragnarok remind me very much of how Zimmer's action scores sounded in the 90s.

This is so interesting. Like you (and Venomfan) LotR is probably my favorite score, and I enjoy all of the other ones you mentioned (especially Benjamin Button), although I haven't listened to The Neverending Story. Some of my other favorites are The Fountain, Battlestar Galactica (if TV counts), Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, Meet Joe Black, Vertigo, The Monkey King, Solaris (by Cliff Martinez), The Thin Red Line, The Snowman (by Howard Blake), The Secret of NIMH and The Patriot (by John Williams). I could probably keep listing scores all day, as film scores are my favorite genre of music (and takes up the bulk of my album collection).

It's just so fascinating that we like many of the same scores and yet have our differences as well. But then the variety of tastes is what makes life interesting. What fun would it be talking to someone who agreed with you on everything? I'm just glad you and others like the score for Ragnarok, that people other than myself can find enjoyment in it. Hopefully next year's MCU scores will be more suited for my tastes, as we've got Silvestri back on Avengers, another Beck Ant-Man score and Goransson's BP (whose work has never grabbed me, but maybe this time will be different).

Precisely, very well said. :up:

Because the theme for Raganrok is a direct imitation of Brian Tyler's trademark style of simplistic writing. Listen to TDW or Children of Dune or Power Rangers and you'll know what I'm talking about.

And to me, the guitar rendition of the theme in tracks like Thor Ragnarok remind me very much of how Zimmer's action scores sounded in the 90s.

Again with our tastes differing, I adore Brian Tyler's score to TDW, I think it's one of the MCU's best. :woot: It's easily my favourite thing about the film, I find myself feeling sad that the film didn't live up to it's score.

And the guitar rendition in Ragnarok sounding like a 90's (or more accurately 80's IMO) score is precisely the point, it's meant to evoke those kind of scores from that time period. It suits the whole retro, throwback 80's sci-fi/fantasy aesthetic of the film.

I don't think that music is part of the soundtrack. It's just trailer music.
And i think it's from these guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5DX83zLJxs&index=5&list=PLyoNuDcfimPLdH-gUzqzjsBakKrSMyxnM

Ah, you're probably right, HD. It sounded a little like Ragnarok Suite to me, but not quite. :yay:

Re-listening for the third time since yesterday, man 'Twilight of the Gods' is such a great track, it's so unlike anything I've ever heard in a superhero movie before. It sounds more like it should be in a film like Braveheart or a sweeping historical epic. And we go from that straight into retro 80's synth, man this score is crazy in the best possible way. I love it.

Again with our tastes differing, I adore Brian Tyler's score to TDW, I think it's one of the MCU's best. :woot: It's easily my favourite thing about the film, I find myself feeling sad that the film didn't live up to it's score.

And the guitar rendition in Ragnarok sounding like a 90's (or more accurately 80's IMO) score is precisely the point, it's meant to evoke those kind of scores from that time period. It suits the whole retro, throwback 80's sci-fi/fantasy aesthetic of the film.

I actually don't mind Tyler's TDW, it just gets repetitive as an album experience since there's only two or three themes. I really enjoyed his Asgard theme, though, especially "Journey to Asgard."

There are even a few tracks from Ragnarok I enjoy, in particular "Flashback" (which reminds me of Saren's theme from Mass Effect).

The soundtrack has appeared on Youtube.
14 tracks out of 23 have been added. My favorites from this batch...

[YT]7l13bBKUn9g[/YT][YT]Z7XUeah_ONI[/YT]
[YT]s9bJQINmWgw[/YT]

Really enjoyed hearing a part of Doyle's Thor soundtrack in this:
[YT]HO2t7AVSYTM[/YT]

And I couldn't help but notice that what the voice is saying sounds suspiciously much like "Taika Waititi" at 0:59 in this one:
[YT]G7s7MvRNmzI[/YT]

And I couldn't help but notice that what the voice is saying sounds suspiciously much like "Taika Waititi" at 0:59 in this one:
[YT]G7s7MvRNmzI[/YT]
I think you are on to something. Mark Mothersbaugh is known to put stuff like that in his tracks.

Please o' please tell me they play this OST loud in the film like Blade Runner: 2049 did!

I'm really loving the music. I think Flashback is my favorite track so far..it really gets under your skin and transports you with that 'electronic-grime' musicscape. Feels so gloriously 80's without being dated.

I'm really loving the music. I think Flashback is my favorite track so far..it really gets under your skin and transports you with that 'electronic-grime' musicscape. Feels so gloriously 80's without being dated.
It's one of my favorites too. Top 2. It's ominous and i bet in the context of the movie it really pays off.

It's one of my favorites too. Top 2. It's ominous and i bet in the context of the movie it really pays off.

That's the music from the Hela vs. Valkyries flashback. The combination of the music and the visuals is so amazingly awesome on the big screen. :hmr:

The use of Doyle's theme in the music is fantastic: it's not just fan service, it completely makes sense in context on many levels. Just brilliant.

My favorite piece of music.
[YT]fLwaG_wIFpg[/YT]

Definitely has a Braveheart vibe to it.

After a few more listens (and having seen the film), I have to admit that the score has grown on me. I think I'd place it over TDW now (aside from "Journey to Asgard" and "Into Eternity" which I still really like). I maintain that the music is rather simplistic, but the synths and guitar save it and make it a fun listen. It has a nice energy to it that's different than most Marvel scores.

The use of Doyle's theme in the music is fantastic: it's not just fan service, it completely makes sense in context on many levels. Just brilliant.

I darn near cried watching that scene!

Great score all around and the reprise of the Doyle theme had me cheering on the inside. as I loved the score to the first THOR.

I'd say this is my favourite Marvel score. It was used so well.

What a glorious score.

[YT]618hvfjVmUw[/YT]

Anyone know where I could find the song that was playing when the Revengers were fighting off the Sakarians about to go into the devils anus?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"