Discussion: Guns, The Second Amendment, NRA - Part II

I do suspect that something will actually get passed this time. And then, the GOP and the President are going to do a big old victory lap, claiming themselves champions of gun safety. "Look at how reasonable we are? Let no one say that our party is inflexible or old fashioned now! When the times demanded it, we were able to compromise." Makes me feel like vomiting a little, but you better believe that they will milk this for all it's worth, while the people who have literally fought decades for this issue will get nothing.... only a base that feels more and more like their vote doesn't matter; voters who may even want to punish Dems for giving the win to Republicans; voters who will probably argue it isn't enough, and will actually punish reps for voting on a half measure.

Decades of intransigence, jujitsued by President Trump, actually convincing Republicans to do a 180 on something they've fought against for decades... and for them to actually look like the good guys while doing it. Some conservatives say that Trump is going to get a lot of blow back from the rank and file. I doubt it honestly. He's right... they believe what he tells them to believe. Sigh.......this timeline blows.
The alternate one with John Lasseter as President would have been worse. :o

Last edited:

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Federal prosecutors on Monday charged a Boardman man with making threats against law enforcement, following an investigation that revealed he voiced his support online of mass shootings and lived in a house with 25 guns and 10,000 rounds of ammunition, records show.

I do suspect that something will actually get passed this time. And then, the GOP and the President are going to do a big old victory lap, claiming themselves champions of gun safety. "Look at how reasonable we are? Let no one say that our party is inflexible or old fashioned now! When the times demanded it, we were able to compromise." Makes me feel like vomiting a little, but you better believe that they will milk this for all it's worth, while the people who have literally fought decades for this issue will get nothing.... only a base that feels more and more like their vote doesn't matter; voters who may even want to punish Dems for giving the win to Republicans; voters who will probably argue it isn't enough, and will actually punish reps for voting on a half measure.

Decades of intransigence, jujitsued by President Trump, actually convincing Republicans to do a 180 on something they've fought against for decades... and for them to actually look like the good guys while doing it. Some conservatives say that Trump is going to get a lot of blow back from the rank and file. I doubt it honestly. He's right... they believe what he tells them to believe. Sigh.......this timeline blows.

This would be the case if the Republicans were still even as smart and capable as the Bush years

but they're not, they're craven little money-hungry gremlins

So we'll get a bunch of "We're open to some common sense things *blahblahblah* mental health *blahblahblah* close loopholes"
Then they'll do nothing and say "we were looking for a good bill that both sides could agree on but the Democrats' demands were too much"
they're fully in the NRA pocket, McTurtle especially, so if 20 dead kids in Sandy Hook couldn't do it, I don't think this will either

We will see. The NRA's civil war of greed is hobbling them a bit in terms of messaging. Their main guy who was the connection in Congress is gone. Their ability to reach and panic the base is hobbled without Ackerman-McQueen and NRA TV. A weapons ban won't be happening, sure. But thinks like background checks absolutely can happen at the moment.

teacherz-Gunz.jpg

Children shouldn't be firing any form of gun to begin with even with or without supervision, so to answer the NRA windbags question as to how you tell the 10 year old wanting to fire a gun, the same way you answer if he/she wants to drive a car, have a cigarette or alcoholic drink.. you say no.

Job done :up:

The initial calls from Trump for background checks are gone. This weekend, he said "we already have a lot of background checks." He then reverted to the favorite talking point of Republicans who don't want to do anything. "I don't want people to forget that this is a mental health problem. I don't want them to forget that, because it is. It's a mental health problem."

It is not a mental health problem. In fact, people with mental illness are much more likely to be the victims of violence. "Violent crime victimization are 12 times higher among the population of persons with serious mental illness than among the overall U.S. population." This talk does nothing besides give McConnell another out on action, and further stigmatize mental illness, making it likelier that people who need help won't get it for fear of being put on some kind of watch list.

Called that s**t

Because the NRA gives a hoot in hell about ten year old girls. They don’t care when they get riddled with bullets, but if they don’t get a gun on their birthday, halt the presses!

Spare the crocodile tears about the children you don’t give a **** about any other time except now to use them as a political prop in an argument that doesn’t even make sense.

Let's keep stigmatizing and scapegoating people with mental illness, most of whom are not violent, instead of actually facing up to the real problems, our obsession with guns as our de facto national religion, and the rise in white supremacist domestic terrorism.

And this is a bad thing...?

Yes. Banning and confiscating guns from people is a bad thing. It's about as un-American as it gets. Believe it or not, people learning to shoot at such a young age is completely normal in some parts of the country.

Children shouldn't be firing any form of gun to begin with even with or without supervision, so to answer the NRA windbags question as to how you tell the 10 year old wanting to fire a gun, the same way you answer if he/she wants to drive a car, have a cigarette or alcoholic drink.. you say no.

Job done :up:

That's not up to you.

HiXua.OvCc.1-small-Danyela-DAngelo-the-14-year.jpg

I think a good nonpartisan policy to actually protect at least children would be to just increase school security, not the pretty trolling-y idea of arming teachers but just have or increase armed guards/police in schools, maybe that seems pretty boring and insufficient but it sure does make sense and would be a way of increasing safety, at least trying to, without reducing rights throughout society.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"