The Halloween Film Series Thread... - Part 4

'78 and '18 work do work perfectly in tandem, especially with how their endings mirror one another so much.

As much as I love HK & HE, '18 was the only time the ending gave me literal chills. The way the Shape stares back at the Strode women while he's trapped, a visual only enhanced by the raging flames growing around him.

I'm just glad Gordon Green's trilogy didn't really de-mystify Michael. He's not a part of some cult, we still don't know why he chose to be a killer, etc. The trilogy perfectly captured everything it needed to regarding the Shape, even adding on to his mythology without sacrificing any of the elements that made him such an enigma to begin with.

I was bored at work today... imagined a fun re-cut of the 3 films, into a tighter two-parter.

> '78 homage/follow-up [KILLS]

Podcasters go to Prison & visit T2-Laurie ['18]
Sartain lets Michael escape/bus accident ['18]

Halloween Trio - Bar intros [KILLS]
Michael kills Allyson's friends ['18]
Laurie attacks Michael, he escapes ['18]

High School Halloween Dance ['18]
Corey Cunningham Babysitting [ENDS]

Tommy starts up 'Evil Dies Tonight' [KILLS]
Michael attacks Allyson, kills friend ['18]
Allyson connects with Hawkins/Sartain ['18]
Michael kills Sartain/injures Hawkins ['18]

Myers House antics [KILLS]

Michael kills H3-Park kids [KILLS]
Michael kills Marion/Lindsey escapes [KILLS]

…Corey Cunningham in jail

[a little bit of ’18 x a bit more of Kills]

…Laurie heads to Myers House
Michael kills Tommy & Gang near Myers House [KILLS]
Michael arrives HOME, pretty injured

…Laurie attacks Michael, gets really hurt
...Karen/Ray show up, get killed
…Laurie mourns / Michael escapes, injured

[Cue Halloween Theme/Montage]

Haddonfield’s destruction 40 Years Later ala ’78 shots

Laurie’s monologue about Haddonfield [ENDS]

- she’s healthier mentally, still owns the compound
- rarely sleeps there, stays with Allyson/Lindsey

…Corey hanging out at the radio station
(allude more to missing kids, homeless)
…Michael attacking a kid

Corey is attacked [ENDS]
Corey meets Allyson, start dating [ENDS]

Pre-Halloween Bar antics [ENDS]
Corey meets Michael in the sewer [ENDS]
Michael ‘senses’ his evil [ENDS]

Michael/Corey kill Allyson’s ex [ENDS]
Michael/Corey kill Allyson’s boss [ENDS]
- Haddonfield thinks Michael is back, Laurie doesn’t

Laurie threatens Corey [ENDS]
Corey steals Michael’s mask [ENDS]
Laurie & Allyson fight, Allyson plans move [ENDS]
Corey kills family, punks, radio DJ

[a bit of Ends with a hint of ‘18]

Laurie baits Corey to her compound, to protect Allyson
Laurie almost kills Corey, Michael intervenes
Corey is killed, Michael-Laurie Deathmatch
Hawkins brings Allyson, tells her about Corey’s murders
Laurie traps Michael, he dies surrounded by flames [‘18]

Laurie and Hawkins get individual closure
Allyson moves away to start fresh…
[Cue Mr. Sandman]

What do you think?

I really wanted to keep the energy of 2018's ending, rework it into ENDS.

Make KILLS more of a part of 2018.

Still hold strong to ENDS story and it's ramifications stemming from 2018.

We have waited since 1978 to have a proper sequel to the original. And it appeared, Halloween (2018) was it. Disregarding all the trash that followed it, Halloween (2018) matched every bit in spirit to the original, leaving most of us highly satisfied. We also knew going into it from the beginning, that this new Halloween (2018) was going to end in a trilogy. There lies the problem. We all waited, patiently for 44 years, and was rewarded with Halloween (2018) & it seemed it was going to strongly continue the story of Michael & Laurie. But somehow, some way, the creative team behind Halloween (2018) got lost in the sewers, much like Michael.
Knowing this was their last installment of their own trilogy, they butchered what could have been one of the best & strongest horror series of all time. They 1st introduce a character, Corey, to become some sort of pariah. Who is a town outcast for murdering a child while he babysat years ago. I assume, this is just my analyzation of Halloween Ends, to show us that it's the town of Haddonfield that is the source of the evil that inspired Michael? That caused Corey, to walk down the path of evil & fueled his murderous rampage like Michael? Only to have the character of Corey, take up most of the trilogy that is ending Halloween & not include Michael at all?
And then, having the character of Corey die makes no sense of why he was introduced in the 1st place. Just for the purpose of selling the point that Haddonfield is an evil breeding ground? I did not need to waste an entire movie, robbing me of the epic Michael Myers legend, just to see that underdeveloped & poor point. If he (Corey) was introduced in Halloween (2018) & set up to 'have the torch passed ' to him by Michael, I would get it. I wouldn't like it but would understand. But that's not what happened. The final battle should have taken place between Michael & Laurie throughout the ENTIRE movie, not just the last 15 minutes. And what they left us with, was a horrible conclusion.

Last edited:
We're not quite in spooky season yet, but i figured we are close enough for me to post my new ranking. My rankings change quite a bit, but I feel comfortable with this one

Halloween 1978
Halloween 2018
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
Halloween H2O
Halloween Ends
Halloween II 1981
Halloween III: Season of The Witch
Halloween Kills
Halloween 6 The Curse of Michael Myers
Halloween 5 The Revenge of Michael Myers
RZ Halloween
Halloween Resurrection
RZ Halloween II

Which continuity do you prefer
Continuity one - (classic) 78, 81, III, IV, V, VI
Continuity two - (with 2000s retcon) 78, H20, Ressurection
Continuity three (final retcon) - 78, 2018, Kills, Ends

Hard to say. I liked explainations about Myers's curse and reasons of his darkness side and invulnerability. That is due to demonic rituals from an evil cult.

In new saga, no explainations but I enjoyed the plot of Kills. Entire city went after Myers and how he was beaten in the climax was something unseen before

About H20, I find that was really a good Halloween movie. But his Ressurection sequel, what a poor movie!

I kinda have a soft spot for all the different continuities. I can even enjoy the entries that are the most divisive. I don't think I could ever truly hate a Halloween movie. What can I say, I'm a fan and my affection runs deep :yay:

Less than a week until the start of Spooky Season, which for me starts right after Labour Day! The only Halloween movie I still haven't watched is Ends, and that one is available to stream here in Canada on Crave.

I'm thinking I'll start with that one this year to officially kick off the season :up:

None of those continuities are attractive to me, unfortunately.

My own continuity would be '78 and '81

or

'78 and H18.

'81 was my favorite growing up until I really started appreciating the original. H18 was a good enough bookend to '78 that I'm ok if that was the whole story. It's a shame Kills and, more so, Ends undid the foundation H18 had laid.

We're not quite in spooky season yet, but i figured we are close enough for me to post my new ranking. My rankings change quite a bit, but I feel comfortable with this one

Halloween 1978
Halloween 2018
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
Halloween H2O
Halloween Ends
Halloween II 1981
Halloween III: Season of The Witch
Halloween Kills
Halloween 6 The Curse of Michael Myers
Halloween 5 The Revenge of Michael Myers
RZ Halloween
Halloween Resurrection
RZ Halloween II

Good idea!

My current ranking:

Favorites
- Halloween '78
- Halloween II '81
- Halloween 2018

Not my favorites, but good for a watch each year
- Halloween 4
- Halloween Kills
- H20

Haven't watched in quite a while; mainly fast-forward to certain scenes I like
- Halloween 6
- Halloween 5

No plans to watch again in the near future
- RZ Halloween
- Halloween Ends
- Halloween Resurrection
- RZ Halloween II

Halloween Ends could've been a top-tier Halloween movie if they hadn't dropped the Corey storyline (or if he had been introduced earlier). I thought it was the most interesting aspect of it and a much-needed breath of fresh air for the franchise. It actually elevated the DGG trilogy for me.

Last edited:
Re-watched Halloween Kills this weekend in anticipation of finally seeing Halloween Ends sometime soon :hehe:

This was my third viewing of Kills. I like the movie more and more each time I see it.

And I think that pretty much sums up my relationship with the Halloween franchise. After my initial viewing, each new entry metabolizes as a hang-out movie that I can enjoy year after year during Spooky Season, quality be damned.

I guess that explains why I can enjoy something like The Return of Michael Myers just as much as John Carpenter's immortal original during this time of year, despite the fact that the two films aren't anywhere near each other in terms of quality and cultural significance.

After I watch Ends I'll be able to formulate a proper opinion about Green's trilogy once I can see the big picture :up:

84b640ffd8ac91e324bb29a2b81e37e52ef43a22.gifv

A prestige TV series would be amazing.

But I really want a full on reboot/reimagining of the concept.

"Paramount is extremely interested in the Halloween property and seems to be leading the bidding war
Malek Akkad's top priority for the franchise is reportedly a television show set in the same universe as Halloween III: Season of the Witch. The series would be 6 episodes long."

Did anybody really thought it was the end?
And there is a lot you can Do with it.
Not necessary Good things, but there are many things you can Explore with the IP.

Did anybody really thought it was the end?
And there is a lot you can Do with it.
Not necessary Good things, but there are many things you can Explore with the IP.
I just thought they were gonna wait a little longer.
You know, make us miss it? Maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"