The High-Def Thread, Now With 95% Less HD DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to more Holiday sales in the last 2 weeks I was able to add a few more titles to my Blu-Ray collection.

Shutter Island
The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus
The Bourne Collection
Leon

I don't know about anyone else, but aside from Jurassic Park, I'm really anxious for a nice Blu-ray of The Ten Commandments with Heston. I would love to see that movie cleaned up in HD.

I'd like Jurassic Park ...
I've never even watched Ten Commandments... :( I need to get the DVD or something...

It's a epic movie in the scope since it clocks around 3 hour and 40 minutes, as of today I've only seen it once. :p

Thanks to more Holiday sales in the last 2 weeks I was able to add a few more titles to my Blu-Ray collection.

Shutter Island
The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus
The Bourne Collection
Leon

This looks amazing on blu-ray but the film itself was not so impressive tbh... :dry:

This looks amazing on blu-ray but the film itself was not so impressive tbh... :dry:
I really enjoyed it for what it was, I thought they did a great job of intertwining the footage of Ledger into the story without making it feel to obvious they were trying to replace him.

I think you will be more forgiving if you treat it as heath ledger's swansong, and the story has SOME sort of meaning I guess... so yeah

Anyone know if it's worth getting an optical cord without a sound system or should I wait? As long as it gives out better sound I don't mind getting it early.

Ordered this today. $23.77 Shipped:yay:

xmenyh.jpg

Anyone know if it's worth getting an optical cord without a sound system or should I wait? As long as it gives out better sound I don't mind getting it early.

I am not sure I understand the question. If you already have an HDMI cable hooked up from your Blu-ray player to your TV and you are getting sound from your TV speakers you should already be getting the best sound possible. An optical cable would on benefit you if you are using component cables for sound right now. HDMI beats optical though.

I am not sure I understand the question. If you already have an HDMI cable hooked up from your Blu-ray player to your TV and you are getting sound from your TV speakers you should already be getting the best sound possible. An optical cable would on benefit you if you are using component cables for sound right now. HDMI beats optical though.

Damn, I did not realize that. Some fool told me it's good to get optical along with the HDMI.

Thanks for saving me some money. So when I get a surround sound system, I can just use HDMI, will do.

Damn, I did not realize that. Some fool told me it's good to get optical along with the HDMI.

Thanks for saving me some money. So when I get a surround sound system, I can just use HDMI, will do.

Well if you also get a surround sound setup that is where optical/HDMI can come into play. You can get a much cheaper setup that can accept an optical cable but not HDMI. It all depends on your budget and what is important to you. Figure out how much money you are willing to spend on surround sound and do a little research and figure out what features are important to you then buy accordingly.

I'm kinda curious why HDTV's tend to look so grainy/blurry up close?

I'm kinda curious why HDTV's tend to look so grainy/blurry up close?

Depends on the TV as well as what settings they have on. Normally don't judge it by the ones on display at stores. I started doing research and asking questions in this thread and also look at reviews. My TV looks perfectly find when watching TV shows and the movies look fantastic.

I have a 32 inch Sony EX500, (1080p, 120hz) and I got to be at least four feet or so away when watching blu rays. I had an older model and I don't remember it being like that, and it was a cheaper set. I usually don't watch movies that close anyways, but I was just curious as to why it looks grainy/blurry like that when close up. :D (Noticed it watching LOST on BR. Noticed l grain even pretty far away actually.)

Last edited:
I really enjoyed it for what it was, I thought they did a great job of intertwining the footage of Ledger into the story without making it feel to obvious they were trying to replace him.
I didnt realize that was his last film. I always thought the Dark Knight was

I have a 32 inch Sony EX500, (1080p, 120hz) and I got to be at least four feet or so away when watching blu rays. I had an older model and I don't remember it being like that, and it was a cheaper set. I usually don't watch movies that close anyways, but I was just curious as to why it looks grainy/blurry like that when close up. :D (Noticed it watching LOST on BR. Noticed l grain even pretty far away actually.)

Have you messed around with the Digital Noise Filter option? It can clean up the screen/video a bit.

I got an Amazon gift card for Christmas, so last weekend I ordered Inception and The A-Team on BD (as well as seasons 1-3 of Spin City on DVD). Damn you Amazon free shipping...it hasn't even shipped yet. Just needed to vent. :cmad: :oldrazz:

Have you messed around with the Digital Noise Filter option? It can clean up the screen/video a bit.
Hmm, no I haven't, actually. What should I do setting-wise? :woot: Is there any sites that list the best settings for HDTVS?

Last edited:
Hmm, no I haven't, actually. What should I do setting-wise? :woot: Is there any sites that list the best settings for HDTVS?

I'm sure if you look on google you can find some sites, just make sure to list your type of TV and you should be alright. With the digital noise filter, the higher you set it, the cleaner the picture looks but don't go overboard with it or it will look a little too clean if you get what I'm saying.

I didnt realize that was his last film. I always thought the Dark Knight was

The Dark Knight was Heath Ledger's last COMPLETED film. He was in the middle of filming Imaginarium when he passed away. Johnny Depp, Jude Law, and Colin Farrell all stepped forward to film Ledger's unfinished scenes to complete the film. I believe he also had a movie he was signed onto that was in the pre-production stages as well.

Lost is generally pretty grainy because it was shot as such. If you compare it to say, a Pixar film, you'll notice what I mean.

A film is supposed to look grainy because well film IS grain...that is what makes up the picture when shot on film and brings out all the details. Which is why there are a lot of people that get upset when something like digital noise reduction is heavily applied to a Blu-ray transfer to give it a smooth ungrainy look...it can eliminate detail in exchange for a smooth looking picture.

The Dark Knight was Heath Ledger's last COMPLETED film. He was in the middle of filming Imaginarium when he passed away. Johnny Depp, Jude Law, and Colin Farrell all stepped forward to film Ledger's unfinished scenes to complete the film. I believe he also had a movie he was signed onto that was in the pre-production stages as well.

Yeah, I think it was an adaptation of the Onimusha games if I remember correctly.

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I was watching my grandparents so internet access was a little spotty for me. Luckily, they had a blu-ray player for me to enjoy. Unfortunately I used it to watch The Twilight Saga: Eclipse :(

Anyways onto the awesome news my parents gave me a stand alone blu-ray player this Christmas :). It was a Sony BDP-S570 which is 3D capable and has a ****load of awesome online features. I freaking love it. Now all I have to do is get a freaking 3D HDTV (which will come someday :argh: )

As for blu-rays I ended up getting It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia: The Complete Season 5 from my sister and my parents got me V: The Complete First Season, Lost: The Complete Sixth Season, Star Wars: The Clone Wars - The Complete Season Two, Fantasia/Fantasia 2000, and with money and gift cards I also got Easy A (my guilty pleasure of 2010) and the Scarlet Edition of Gone with the Wind (which was on sale at FYE for $15).

I'm also approaching the 250 mark for my blu-ray collection :awesome:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee