The Hip Hop Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
American_Idiot said:
Me, I'm picky and choosey about what hip-hop and/or rap artists I will listen to. Basically, I hate music that relies on "nice beats to shake ya ass to" to sell. However, I do enjoy MCs who tell stories in their songs or at least have interesting/thought provoking things to talk about (i.e. Nas, Kanye West, Eminem, Jay-Z, etc.) and if they have a few club hits on the album, so be it.

If you are a fan of hip-hop and/or rap that has something to talk about and are looking to hear something new, check out my friend JayBlaze, an upcoming MC hailing from Oakland, CA @ http://www.myspace.com/jayblaze2005 and let me know what you think.

Hip-Hop isn't groundbreaking anymore. . . there's a lot of guys out there who aren't really that talented on the mic, and their fame is frustrating. . .
but to each his own. In a decade, I think hip-hop will be dead. It's too commercial, and the underground mix-tapes aren't as great as they used to be. People aren't that individual anymore; they just want money, and don't care about the product, the artistry. . .that part is dead.

People like common, talib kweli, and mos def are some of the best because their music is entrenched in reality, but they never go platinum because their music is "Shake your A** music." It's actually intellectually sound. So I say, "F**k hip-hop. It will be dead eventually, because there's only so many parties you can have, so many bottles of Chris you can pop, and only so many gimics that will work on the mainstream idiots."

American_Idiot said:
Me, I'm picky and choosey about what hip-hop and/or rap artists I will listen to. Basically, I hate music that relies on "nice beats to shake ya ass to" to sell. However, I do enjoy MCs who tell stories in their songs or at least have interesting/thought provoking things to talk about (i.e. Nas, Kanye West, Eminem, Jay-Z, etc.) and if they have a few club hits on the album, so be it.

If you are a fan of hip-hop and/or rap that has something to talk about and are looking to hear something new, check out my friend JayBlaze, an upcoming MC hailing from Oakland, CA @ http://www.myspace.com/jayblaze2005 and let me know what you think.

Hip-Hop isn't groundbreaking anymore. . . there's a lot of guys out there who aren't really that talented on the mic, and their fame is frustrating. . .
but to each his own. In a decade, I think hip-hop will be dead. It's too commercial, and the underground mix-tapes aren't as great as they used to be. People aren't that individual anymore; they just want money, and don't care about the product, the artistry. . .that part is dead.

People like common, talib kweli, and mos def are some of the best because their music is entrenched in reality, but they never go platinum because their music isn't "Shake your A** music." It's actually intellectually sound. So I say, "F**k hip-hop. It will be dead eventually, because there's only so many parties you can have, so many bottles of Chris you can pop, and only so many gimics that will work on the mainstream idiots."

pay this no mind GO TO VOTE AT THE ELECTION.... CAN MISTER MAXWELL'S DEMON COUNT ON YOUR VOTE?!

Hell 2 the yeah, could you post that message one more time? I missed your point the first three times.

You must listen to Mike Jones {who?} alot, huh?

i'll enjoyhip-hop while it lasts then, I dont care if/when it dies.

Finally after a drought all the good albums of 2005 are coming out

Kanye's Late Registration
AZ-AWOL
Little Brother-Minstrel Show
Saigon-Greatest Story Never Told

And there all Heat!

I doubt that Hip-Hop will die, it'll just keep on reinventing itself. It has ever since it started.

Every music genre has reinvented itself. The stuff our parents listened to is basically the same stuff we listen to, only the artists and styles have changed. Rap may become a different creature, but it'll still be rapping.

Does anyone here like rap music? If so who are your favorite artists? My ten favorite in no particular order:

1. Eminem
2. Ludacris
3. Kanye West
4. Snoop Dogg
5. DMX
6. The Notorious B.I.G
7. Nas
8. Dr. Dre
9. Busta Rhymes
10. Tupac

(NOTE: This thread is NOT for any of you to come here and talk about how much you hate rap. DO NOT do that in this thread.)

weird als Couch potato > Eminems Lose Yourself :o

I like Diamonds by Kayne West and that Eminem song with Dido.

Thats about it.

Though this has been done umpteen times before, always with the same results, I'll bite.

Mobb Deep, Talib Kweli, Beastie Boys, Biggie Smalls, KRS-One, M.O.P., Onyx, Gang Starr, DJ Quik, Digital Underground

zeptron said:
(NOTE: This thread is NOT for any of you to come here and talk about how much you hate rap. DO NOT do that in this thread.)
I hate rap.

zeptron said:
Does anyone here like rap music? If so who are your favorite artists? My ten favorite in no particular order:

1. Eminem
2. Ludacris
3. Kanye West
4. Snoop Dogg
5. DMX
6. The Notorious B.I.G
7. Nas
8. Dr. Dre
9. Busta Rhymes
10. Tupac

Decent List

terry78 said:
Though this has been done umpteen times before, always with the same results, I'll bite.

Mobb Deep, Talib Kweli, Beastie Boys, Biggie Smalls, KRS-One, M.O.P., Onyx, Gang Starr, DJ Quik, Digital Underground

Also a Nice List

terry78 said:

Digital Underground? The guys who did the Humpty Dance?

Word of advice...never mention rap on a geeky fanboy board. It just causes pain and anguish.

terry78 said:
Word of advice...never mention rap on a geeky fanboy board. It just causes pain and anguish.

Why is that?

The best people in rap

Tupac
Nas
Biggie
Snoop (back when he was on Death Row)
Eminem
Tha Dogg Pound
Crooked I
Jay-Z
Yukmouth

I like Eminem, Dr. Dre, N.W.A., old Ludacris, Outkast when they rap and when they don't, The Fatboys, Notorious B.I.G. ,Tupac, DMX, Cypress Hill, O.D.B., Old Beastie Boys (they suck ass now), Kool Keith and 1 0r 2 songs by hundreds of others.

Milkman95 said:
Why is that?
It's done tongue in cheek here, but other ones I've been to *cough AICN*cough and a few random ones, as soon as anything hip hop or "black" is mentioned, it erupts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"