The Hype RPG 2008 Awards! Nominations

Byrd Man

El Hombre Pájaro
Reaction score
Since last year's version was a hit, we'll go ahead and do this again. I took out some categories that didn't seem applicable (Best New RPG and Most Original RPG idea) and added a few new ones.

Here are the player awards

Overall MVP (in all catagories) Keyser Soze, Master Bruce, Venom160, Byrd Man, wiegabo

MVP (in Marvel) Venom160, Syn, Bkhedr, Harlekin

MVP (in DC) Byrd Man, Andy C, Keyser Soze

MVP (in Misc) Wiegabo, Spike_x1, Johnny Blaze

Best RPG: World of Heroes: The DC RPG, Ult. Marvel

RPG Lifetime Achivement Award: Watchman, SuperFerret, Blacklight, Master Bruce, Spike_x1

Best Foreign Poster Nominees: Catman, Senseiofcheese, Keyser Soze, Harlekin

Most Improved Player Nominees: Blacklight, SSF, Syn

Break-out Player of the year Nominees: Blacklight, The Tangerine, Keyser Soze, JRK, Watchman, Andy C., Johnny Blaze

G.O.D. (Games Operational Director) Award Nominees: Byrd Man, Master Bruce, Wiegabo

Best Newcomer Nominees: Absonic, The Tangerine, Optikal

And the IC awards

Best Multiple PC Story Arc: Dark Alliance Part 2: ****in' Up Your **** Evil Style (DC) Ult. Cable (Ult. Marvel)

Best Solo Story Arc: The Rise and Fall of Harvey Dent (OU) Amazing Ricochet Man! (Ult. Marvel)

Best Hero Nominees: Superman (Andy C.) Ult. Dazzler (Noon), Ult. Hawkeye (Catman), Nightwing (Byrd Man), Batman (MaskedmanJRK), Spider-Man (EBJ), Ult. Superman (Spike_x1)

Best Villain Nominees: Joker (Keyser Soze) Randall Flagg (Keyser Soze), Ult. Cable (Syn), Magneto (Johnny Blaze), Cyborg Superman (Watchman), Brainiac (JB)

Best Team Nominees: JLA (DC) Ult. X-Men (Ult. Marvel), Teen Titans (DC)

Death Scene of The Year: Batman Bites It (DC), Cable Cuts Out (Ult. Marvel) Deathstrokes Dies (DC)

WTF Moment of The Year: Soze pwns Brotha-Man, Cable pwns X-Men into drinking Dazzler's blood, Brotha-Man says "what posionous gas?!" Deathstroke Dots Lian Harper's Eye

Best Developed Character: Spider-Man (OU), Ult. Spider-Woman (Ult. Marvel), Daredevil (OU), Superman (DC), Robin (DC)

Best Fight: Deathstroke vs. Green Arrow Family (DC), The X-men vs. Rumekistan (Ult. Marvel), Brainiac vs. Almost Every PC Hero (DC)

Funniest Post: Soze pwns Brotha-Man (DC), Peter Parker ****ing Flash Thompson up (Ult. Marvel), Project Icarus pwns Asteroid-Man, Iron Fist hits Luke Cage's spot (Marvel)

Best Post: Batman is Dead (Keyser Soze, DC) The birth of May Delilah Drew (EBJ, Ult. Marvel), Batman's requim (MaskedmanJRK)

For the individual post awards, you have to include a link to said post.

Last edited:
glad to see this back dude. I'll definitely get my nominees up today. :up:

Do we post our awards here?

As I recall from last year, we posted them publically, you gathered the most frequent noms and had a mass vote through PM. Will that be the same system, this time?

I'd like to remind everyone of the 4 Hypers I won last year....yeah, I'm kind of a big deal. People know me. I have many leatherbound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

You heard the man.

If you gotta vote for Byrd, don't. He's got enough of them. :up:

My name is Byrd Man, and I approve this message :up:

I'm going to have to create an account called 'Turd Han' just so I can possibly win one.

You better create the awards like you did last year, *****! :cmad:

I'm going to have to create an account called 'Turd Han' just so I can possibly win one.
You must now do this. It's okay, you can change back again and no one will notice. For you are the chameleon!

It's your own fault for having such an easy to rhyme name.

Overall MVP (in all catagories) Keyser Soze. While he rarely recieves the honor of being a Gamemaster of any sort, it was his words of encouragement that brought me back from thinking the games could eventually die. His kind of passion for the RPG's is rarely seen, and I think we owe a debt of gratitude to him, not only for his stellar work in the games, but his efforts to push us to become better players.

MVP (in Marvel) Venom160. An AGM in HvV, the appointed GM of Ultimate Marvel, and he barely breaks a sweat. Though it's hard to remember, Venom has been here longer than most of us have, myself included. And there's no disputing where his loyalties lie: Make his Marvel. He's a true testament to True Believers everywhere, not to mention one of the nicest guys on the boards.

MVP (in DC) Byrd Man. I hate to say it, partially because it means giving him a nod, but Byrd's single-handedly been giving the DC RPG's a swift kick in the ash since he came into power. Whenever twy couldn't fulfill her obligations to World Of Heroes anymore, nobody thought anyone would be able to pick up the slack. Well... we were all pleasantly, and a bit impleasantly surprised. Here's to you, you dictator bastard, for making the DC RPG one of the smoothest running games on the boards.

MVP (in Misc) wiegeabo. For his work in One Universe alone, wiegeabo is the bread that holds the sandwich of the DC and Marvel universes together. That's a feat even the professionals couldn't manage for more than a few crossovers. His work as Jay Garrick and, simulatenously, Wolverine and Batman have been excellent as always, but it's his work as an AGM that's made ol' wieg a staple of the OU for years to come.

Best RPG: World Of Heroes: The DC Comic RPG. And no, I'm not just saying that because I finally got Batman. Even before I rejoined, the game was high above the trenches that other games had fallen into. It's the most frequently posted for, and more importantly, the most consistently deserving of praise. Each player in that game does justice to the DC mythology, and it's existence is a true credit to the boards in general.

RPG Lifetime Achivement Award: Watchman. Who's that, you might ask? Well, he's been around quite a long time... but until recently, his work has gone generally unnoticed. But after a few stints as The Scarecrow in both the DC and Ultimate DC RPG's, aswell as Ultron in Marvel, Watchman broaded his scope by not only writing a stellar closing post featuring Darkseid and Apokolips for the World Of Heroes' latest season, but he managed to outdo himself by taking on a twisted version of The Dark Knight himself, Batman. His work continues to improve, and if he keeps it up, he could very well become the future of these games.

Best Foreign Poster Nominees: Catman_prb. Giving Brits a good... well, okay name :-)cmad:), Cats has become one of our shining stars. It's only because of these awards that it hasn't been said sooner. Well, that and that whole 'lazy' thing I've got going on.

Best Poster who's name rhymes with Herd Fan: SuperFerret.

...What? It can. :huh: Especially if you're really drunk. :o

Most Improved Player Nominees: Blacklight. No contest. Even though we used to make fun of him, or at least think that there's a mountain of untapped potential in this guy, it was BL that had the last laugh. He's come into his own, with stints as three Green Lantern's, Blue Beetle, Spider-Man, and now, Superman. No longer is he an eager young guy wanting to be apart of the ranks of longtime RPers, he is apart of those ranks. And I'm sure his best has yet to come.

Break-out Player of the year Nominees: See above.

G.O.D. (Games Operational Director) Award Nominees: Well, that's fairly obvious. It's Byr-...

225pxallglorytothehypnowb0.gif

:dry:

The Hypno-Toad.

Best Newcomer Nominees: To be honest, we... really haven't had many newcomers, this year. Well, we probably have, but it honestly doesn't feel that way. We've all become such a tightly knit, ****ed up family that it's almost as if every one of us have been here from the beginning. So for this award, I've got nothin'.

Best Multiple PC Story Arc: The Dark Alliance: Back And Ready To *** Some **** Up. I know alot of people gave this storyline some major slack, but I think a big part of that was because of how unfamiliar alot of more recent players were with the concept of spontaneous RPing. In all honesty, I think this was probably one of our stronger multiple PC arcs in the history of WOH. Lives were lost, shocks were made, it was truly an event. And in a time where 'events' seem highly redundant, this was one that didn't feel like it was.

Best Solo Story Arc: The Rise and Fall of Harvey Dent (Keyser Soze, One Universe). This really isn't a solo arc, per se, but it's the moments we get with a lone Harvey Dent that make this arc so powerful. You almost don't want him to become Two-Face, the way Keyser's been developing Dent. So to finally see his transformation with be a very interesting thing.

Best Hero Nominees: Andy C. as Superman (World Of Heroes).

Best Villain Nominees: Keyser Soze as The Joker (World Of Heroes).

Best Team Nominees: The Justice League of America (World Of Heroes).

Death Scene of The Year: A combination of not one, not two, but three stellar posts. This is how 'R.I.P' should have been done. Just... perfect:

http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=15245029&postcount=2232 (Both JRK's, and Soze's quoted post)

http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=15245668&postcount=2233

WTF Moment of The Year: No. Freakin'. Contest.
The Joker jumped out in front of X, naked, and did the chicken dance. Then he ran away.

"HAHAHA, good thing Brotha-Man doesn't read anyone else's posts!"

Never once has a post been so simply brilliant, yet overwhelmingly random. Even now, many months later, I think back to this post and usually suppress a chuckle.

Best Developed Character: Spider-Man (One Universe). In part to Eddie Brock's great grip on the character, Spider-Man became one of the best reads of that RPG. Let's hope that, with Peter Parker taking the reigns, he can branch out and even out-develop the character for next year's nominees.

Best Fight: The Arrow Family Vs. Deathstroke. (World Of Heroes)

Funniest Post: Again...
The Joker jumped out in front of X, naked, and did the chicken dance. Then he ran away.

"HAHAHA, good thing Brotha-Man doesn't read anyone else's posts!"

Best Post: I hate nominating things twice, but goddamn, was this the greatest thing ever...

http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=15245668&postcount=2233

I love The Joker, so you can understand if I'm hesitant to place anything written on an internet messageboard up there with the great Joker stories like Killing Joke, Death In The Family, Devil's Advocate, Arkham Asylum, ect. But this did it for me. Keyser's Joker is a prime example of a spot-on, pitch perfect, consistently greatly written character, and seeing him finally complete his lifelong goal, only to take it back in serious regret, was the ultimate moment of The Clown Prince's life. And Keyser sold it, every step of the way.

Last edited:
Jesus Christ. All that ash-kissing wears a person out.

I hope you ****ers are happy. :cmad::up:

I'll get my nominations up soon after I make some more posts.:yay::up:

Thanks for all the nominations, Master Bruce. It means a whole lot that such a tenured player and talented writer has an appreciation for what I've been doing over this past year.

I'll have my awards up at some point over the next couple of days.

I also appreciate the nod. Gonna get my awards up, once I figure out whose butts I haven't kissed enough.

Thanks for the nomination, MB. I know who's getting Herd Fan when I vote. :up:

Overall MVP (in all catagories): Master Bruce. What can I say about our favorite mod? Aside from his love of goats ofcourse. :oldrazz: Hes' the father figure of our little dysfunctional family, keeping this pack of maniacs together. Much kudos my friend.

MVP (in Marvel): Syn (Mercenary). I know he left but I gotta give this award to Syn. He was my right hand AGM in Ult Marvel and the mastermind behind the Cable arc that royally decimated the X-men.

MVP (in DC): Byrd Man. Im not very acquainted with the DC rpgs but from what I can see Byrd has seriously whipped that place back into shape. Good work you magnificent bastard. :up:

MVP (in Misc): Eh I'll have to get back to you on this one.

Best RPG: Ultimate Marvel. I gotta give much love to the Ultimate Marvel rpg. This is my home away from home. This is the rpg I turn to after every round of atrocities that Loeb unleashes in the Ultimate Universe. Nothing against the other rpgs but the Ult Marvel rpg is the only one I'd never abandon.

RPG Lifetime Achivement Award: Twylight. If Master Bruce is the authority than Twylight is the heart of the family.

Best Foreign Poster Nominees: Senseiofcheese.

Best Poster who's name rhymes with Herd Fan: Whoa Turd Man is back!?

Most Improved Player Nominees: Blacklight.

Break-out Player of the year Nominees: The Tangerine

G.O.D. (Games Operational Director) Award Nominees: Master Bruce.

Best Newcomer Nominees: Absonic93

Best Multiple PC Story Arc: The Cable Arc (Ult Marvel)

Best Solo Story Arc: The Amazing Ricochet (Syn (Mercenary) and now Blacklight)

Best Hero Nominees: Ultimate Dazzler (Noon)

Best Villain Nominees: Randal Flagg (Keyser Soze)

Best Team Nominees: The X-men (Ultimate Marvel)

Death Scene of The Year: Cable's Death (Ultimate Marvel). Man that mofo just wouldn't ****ing stay dead!

WTF Moment of The Year: Cable tricking the X-men into drinking Dazzler's blood (Ultimate Marvel).

Best Developed Character: Ultimate Spiderwoman (Eddie Brock)

Best Fight: The X-men vs. Rumekistan (Ultimate Marvel)

Funniest Post: Peter Parker getting ****faced and knocking out Flash (Ultimate Marvel).

Best Post: The birth of May Delilah Drew (Eddie Brock).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"